• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto Says Nintendo Looking To Increase Internal Staff To Create More Projects

More projects is nice , if they have enough talented people that they don't have to dilute their current studios to do it.

The beginning of this thread title was terrifying, I thought it was going to say bigger projects, nintendo going ubisoft style AAA, BARF.

Maybe if they would have opened their fucking eyes and done this during the GameCube era we wouldn't be in the continual problem of game shortages. Fuck, Nintendo continues to demonstrate how god damn stupid they are.

Sendou

Maybe if they would have opened their fucking eyes and done this during the GameCube era we wouldn't be in the continual problem of game shortages. Fuck, Nintendo continues to demonstrate how god damn stupid they are.

Maybe this is actually that famous DS and Wii money in work.

scakko84

Maybe this is actually that famous DS and Wii money in work.

Hope so, they take way too long to develop games. In their defense games are not bug free (TP, M:OM and various online glitches) but personally I've never got stuck in a bug on a Nintendo game.

zsidane

They've been expanding constantly over the last couple of years. But you can't have developers work in tents, which is why they're building a new, much bigger R&D building to have room for another large internal studio.

Any infos on when the new building will be completed ?

Boogybro

iF4sEqMIQPGtT.gif

Make it happen.

QaaQer

great news. This should have been a thing in 2010 or earlier though. It's a bit late now given the cratering sales of Wii U.

MrT-Tar

Haven't Nintendo been consistently expanding for several years now; and therefore this is nothing new? They purchased Monolith about 6 years ago, then there was the whole Sora thing for Kid Icarus Uprising, then that new building, new people coming to Retro, that guy behind Sonic going to NST, etc.

I wonder what's next. I can see Platinum entering a fixed term exclusivity contract with Nintendo, but I doubt they would accept being outright purchased. Nintendo seems poised to do something with SEGA imo and would benefit from it. Some more Western studios would be good imo, so maybe Next Level, Headstrong, etc would be good purchases.

Polari

Surprised they haven't contracted some of those older franchises out. That's what they did on Gamecube, with F-Zero going to Sega and Starfox going to Namco. Give F-Zero to someone like Monster or Sumo.

MrT-Tar

Surprised they haven't contracted some of those older franchises out. That's what they did on Gamecube, with F-Zero going to Sega and Starfox going to Namco. Give F-Zero to someone like Monster or Sumo,

They've continued doing that. In recent years we've seen the likes of Pilotwings Resort (Monster), Zelda OoT 3D (Grezzo), Metroid: Other M (co-developed with Team Ninja), various Mario&Sonic games (SEGA), Pokemon Conquest (Tecmo-Koei), etc. Then we've also got SMT x Fire Emblem coming up (Atlus).

That said, I really want a new F-Zero with SEGA's assistance.

QaaQer

Haven't Nintendo been consistently expanding for several years now; and therefore this is nothing new? They purchased Monolith about 6 years ago, then there was the whole Sora thing for Kid Icarus Uprising, then that new building, new people coming to Retro, that guy behind Sonic going to NST, etc.

I wonder what's next. I can see Platinum entering a fixed term exclusivity contract with Nintendo, but I doubt they would accept being outright purchased. Nintendo seems poised to do something with SEGA imo and would benefit from it. Some more Western studios would be good imo, so maybe Next Level, Headstrong, etc would be good purchases.

Have they actually increased the number of projects though that they had in development on average from 2000-2010?

Not sure why they've suddenly noticed this. I've been saying they should do this since the damn gamecube days when we all came to the realization that 3rd party support might not always be where they want it.

I wish they'd just buy Sega. It would not only be a near-perfect match, it would give them experienced dev teams immediately, and access to some genres Nintendo doesn't have in-house. And Sega must be quite cheap these days.

kinggroin

Banned
Not sure why they've suddenly noticed this. I've been saying they should do this since the damn gamecube days when we all came to the realization that 3rd party support might not always be where they want it.

You and anyone with a semblance of common sense.

Which is why Nintendo only now does it.

I feel like in each of the past 3 days we've had a thread in which another source takes another snippet from the same goddamn interview?
Or did Miyamoto really repeat himself that often recently? lol

If that means more attention to smaller IPs, then I'm all for it

But it still means we'd see the results of these hirings in 2016 at the earliest.

Yeah, only another 3 years of ,,Just wait for the next Direct!!''. WiiU is a lost case, they had to bring it this E3 and still underwhelmed when everyone thought they couldn't possibly lose again. Next machine is hopefully as good as Wii/GCN, after they now finally realised again you gotta properly prepare for a next gen.

wsippel

Banned
There's nothing sudden about this. They've been increasing their staff all the time. This particular statement seems to be related to their new R&D office though, and is therefore about a specific plan officially announced back in July 2011 and well underway since at least 2008.

Jobbs

Banned
Nintendo desperately needs brand new IPs. Their last was Pikmin a decade ago. There has to be more than just making Mario and Zelda games and occasionally an installment in something else. There needs to be more.

They skipped an entire generation in terms of making new IPs. Whereas other consoles saw the birth of brand new IPs that were highly successful in that same time window, like Gears and Assassin's Creed and others. Nintendo just sat there making Mario games.

Nintendo desperately needs brand new IPs. Their last was Pikmin a decade ago. There has to be more than just making Mario and Zelda games and occasionally an installment in something else. There needs to be more.

They skipped an entire generation in terms of making new IPs. Whereas other consoles saw the birth of brand new IPs that were highly successful in that same time window, like Gears and Assassin's Creed and others. Nintendo just sat there making Mario games.

You mean 'Hardcore' IPs. Whether you like it or not, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Steel Diver and Nintendoland are all new IPs. So are Xenoblade, Disaster Day Of Crisis, Last Story and Pandora's Tower.

I do agree though, aside from X and Wonderful 101, Nintendo would really benefit from letting loose the reins a bit on retro or another western studio and let them create a new IP.

sd28821

You know you should make sure what you say is right before posting as it makes you look ill informed .

Nintendo desperately needs brand new IPs. Their last was Pikmin a decade ago.

Can of worms, someone will pop up with a huge list now.

I agree with you though although I think what most people mean when they want to see a new IP is a brand new mythos, a brand new world to explore with brand new gameplay.

Nintendo needs to let their best internal studios stretch their legs and let them create something new and create a whole new universe rather than reinventing their old ones.

Blueblur1

I'm glad to see that Nintendo is looking to bulk up. I hope they continue to do so while maintaining the quality their games have.

wsippel

Banned

Lego City Undercover, a Tt Fusion/ Nintendo SPD3 coproduction, just came out three months ago.

Darryl

Banned

It was interesting to see so many Nintendo developers questioned about new IPs this E3. They're obviously going to respond to that somehow and the results are going to be curious. Most Nintendo IPs have popped up naturally as a result of new gameplay with obviously little thought put into them and were built up into something incredible through time. They're going to need to manufacture one from the start now, story and all. What does Nintendo think a "Nintendo IP" is? lol

Jobbs

Banned
This is factual wrong

Not counting wii sports or wii fit or whatever. I meant "core" actual video games.

edit: I have no issue with wii sports or wii fit, if that's what it sounds like. I just happened to be speaking about video games in the classic sense.

Sadist

Not counting wii sports or wii fit or whatever. I meant "core" actual video games.

edit: I have no issue with wii sports or wii fit, if that's what it sounds like. I just happened to be speaking about video games in the classic sense.
Like Disaster Day of Crisis, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story or Pandora's Tower?

NeonZ

The main issue is that most Nintendo IPs, as in, core EAD IPs, which is what you probably mean (since you apparently aren't counting Xenoblade and other titles) were often created solely due to gameplay and graphical convenience.

Something like F-Zero wasn't created because they wanted a futuristic racer, but to make a game with their first attempt at a 3d tech. Same goes to Mario(whose design was original created due to the sprite limitations), Star Fox and most of their franchises.

Creating a new IP just to have a "new universe" to play with was never the style of Nintendo's core studios and would basically require a big change of approach in general for them, like more focus on stories and characters, not only deciding to create new IPs. Like you might notice if other people post lists, none of the new IPs Nintendo created lately actually come from EAD. It's just not how they work. Of course, the big exceptions were the "Wii ___" titles, which, once again, were created due to gameplay necessity (showcasing the Wii Remote, the Balance Board), not because they set out to create a new universe.

Pushmo and Xenoblade just recently. Wonderful 101 soon.

ASIS

Que Xenoblade.

Que that also doesn't count.

Kurtofan

Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Xenoblade, Wonderful 101, Geist, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Chibi-Robo, Endless Ocean etc..

It's a little late now for the Wii U.

Nintendo needs to restructure itself from the inside out before their next system. Some key people really need to leave the company and get some younger employees involved more.

"Hey, we need 3rd party support. I apologize for that. Hey, we need to maybe release big games at a faster rate. I apologize for that."

It's amazing they've done as well as they have.

Jobbs

Banned
hahaha. guys, I didn't mean to open a can of worms. I'm on your side. I just happened to be referring to actual internal, core, Nintendo titles. I understand that monolith and others work only for Nintendo, but when I made that statement, in my heart I was talking about internal nintendo titles by nintendo's internal teams.

Beelzebub

When pikmin was first announced it was so fresh and odd, nothing like it. I want more of that! And I seriously think they can do some awesome things by reviving StarTropics

Jobbs

Banned
When pikmin was first announced it was so fresh and odd, nothing like it. I want more of that! And I seriously think they can do some awesome things by reviving StarTropics

oh, nice. it just happens I was thinking about this the other day and mentioned it to my friend. I played Star Tropics when I was very young, and it occured to me how cool it'd be to have an update with a fresh take on it.

Jackano

Frakking finally.
How many developers Nintendo have already (invoking Shikamaru!)? 4000?

Take Ubi Soft, they have something like 7-8k employees currently.
If Nintendo isn't anymore the most largest game developement force then it's one of their major strenght who fly away.

It already late but not too late. This new building can't be finished and filled soon enought. As well as the current/old one. And first party studios in the west, ffs!

And again.. They don´t have new IPs!! (well if you don´t count x, y oh and Z and of course D and F, L doesn´t count as well - because i say so!)

hahaha. guys, I didn't mean to open a can of worms. I'm on your side. I just happened to be referring to actual internal, core, Nintendo titles. I understand that monolith and others work only for Nintendo, but when I made that statement, in my heart I was talking about internal nintendo titles by nintendo's internal teams.

Newsflash: Nintendo is working only for Nintendo. (Monolith is Nintendo) ;)

Top Bottom