• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

Megasoum

Banned
Lock if old

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/07/16/forza-motorsport-5-requires-one-time-internet-connection

Flagship Xbox One launch title Forza Motorsport 5 – which will make extensive use of the console’s cloud capabilities and always-online functionality – will also be playable offline now that Microsoft has changed its policies. However, it will require a one-time connection to Xbox Live before you can play.

In an interview with IGN, Dan Greenawalt, the studio head at Forza developer Turn 10 Studios, clarified how their day-one racing game will work if your Xbox One isn’t connected to Xbox Live.

“So when you first boot up the game, we’re going to ask you to log in,” he explained. “And when you log in you’re going to get the Drivatars and you’re also going to get a whole bunch of content: tracks and cars. Our production schedule is such that we are putting them in as late as possible and that means making them free as downloadable content on Day One.

“

We’re not making a launch game. We’re making Forza 5, at launch.

“[But] that is required content to play the game. We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in, in order to make the biggest game possible.”

In other words, because games have to be submitted to Microsoft testing, certified, and then pressed onto discs and shipped, Forza 5 has to be done much, much sooner than November. By requiring part of the game as a download on launch day, it gives Turn 10 extra time to finish everything. And so what you get on the disc you buy at the store won’t be the entire game. You’ll need to download the rest of it from Xbox Live (which should be possible to occur as you play, Greenawalt clarified).

After that, Greenawalt said, Forza 5 is like your refrigerator. “You have to fill it up with food the first time,” he explained. “And from then on, you connect whenever you want when you want to update your food. The Drivatars are as fresh as they are. It’s not like they’re going to degrade, but when you’re looking for new stuff – fresh stuff…it’s going to keep evolving. That’s the nature of this Drivatar system.”

“

When you first boot up the game, we’re going to ask you to log in.

Drivatar is Forza 5’s attempt at next-generation AI in that there is no pre-programmed artificial intelligence. Instead, a ghost version of yourself races on your behalf, using your repeated behavior and tendencies to mimic how you’d race if you were actually playing. Drivatars of random gamers all over the world are what you race against in your single-player campaign.

To that end, Greenawalt told us, “You do have to connect the game in order to get the latest Drivatars, because we need as many people training them as possible. And so rather than having just a launch-day set that was created by us, every day that people race is going to make the Drivatar set that much more accurate, that much more diverse, that much more interesting.

“All of the cloud and online features make the game far, far better,” Greenawalt summed up. “In fact I’d even say revolutionary. The things we’re doing with opponents and Drivatar are not something that anyone can envision unless you’ve played it. But we’re trying to get as much of that into the unconnected, offline mode as well.

“We’re not making a launch game. We’re making Forza 5, at launch.”

As much as I think it kinda sucks, I'm suprised I never thought of that before. It's the natural evolution of the day 1 patch.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So their revolutionary approach is making us waste bandwidth on the game's missing bits and pieces, rather than put them on the disc? Jesus Christ.

markot

Banned
Wooooo.

Cant wait to buy half the game and download the other half later!

Too many stupid companies.

It took me half an hour from buying Anno 2070 to being able to play it after I hit the 'play' button cause of all the extra shit ubi adds stupidly.

Stop ruining shit with stupidity.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
We’re not making a launch game. We’re making Forza 5, at launch.

0004_eiiat.gif

GameSeeker

Interesting. Clearly they are rushing the game and the Xbone launch. Since the game won't be ready in time for retail launch, it will end up being a downloadable game - only partial content on the disc, rest DLC.

macewank

preorder cancelled.

i'm not going to put up with this garbage. shipping a disc with an unfinished game? come on....

edit: to clarify. Forza 5 preorder cancelled.

Megasoum

Banned
Interesting. Clearly they are rushing the game and the Xbone launch. Since the game won't be ready in time for retail launch, it will end up being a downloadable game - only partial content on the disc, rest DLC.

Yeah but I expect this to become the norm with next gen. Like I said in the OP, it's the Day 1 Patch pushed to the extreme.

Truespeed

Interesting concept. Ship the core and download the content. The curse of being a launch title, I guess.

Also, this adds a brand new meaning to Launch Control.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
tracks and cars at launch? tracks as dlc? hope this opens the way for more in the future - something turn 10 has been notorious for not doing ever since track dlc (which wasnt properly advertised or incorporated in the game) bombed for forza 2.

please.

Its the exact opposite of rushing the game. They have lots of extra dev time since they're doing this.

OMG Aero

After that, Greenawalt said, Forza 5 is like your refrigerator. “You have to fill it up with food the first time,” he explained. “And from then on, you connect whenever you want when you want to update your food. The Drivatars are as fresh as they are. It’s not like they’re going to degrade, but when you’re looking for new stuff – fresh stuff…it’s going to keep evolving. That’s the nature of this Drivatar system.”
What is it with Microsoft and their really dumb metaphors?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
What the...?! How can it be "certified" if it's not even a functional game on the disc?!

Be outraged gaf, this is such a huge deal. Think of all the hassle this will cause.

The main concern, as per always online, is this means Forza 5 will always have a clock counting down above it towards the time when it will stop working forever.

Which is a shame.

Mind you, I'm not sure how certification times being an issue and the game being shipped unfinished is necessarily meant to work together.

Megasoum

Banned
What the...?! How can it be "certified" if it's not even a functional game on the disc?!

There's a difference between a functional game and the amount of content in said game. When you send a game in cert at Microsoft, they don't judge the content, they check if it works. In theory they could submit the game with 1 track and 1 car and Microsoft would still approve it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

As it says, the game will be functional but additional tracks and cars will be patched in on launch day along with the latest Drivetars.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft is the one who certifies games.

Yeah I know, it was more of a rhetorical question. I meant that the "certification process" seems useless now if a game that's not gonna be working without a patch can be "certified".

JABEE

There's a difference between a functional game and the amount of content in said game. When you send a game in cert at Microsoft, they don't just the content, they check if it works. In theory they could submit the game with 1 track and 1 car and Microsoft would still approve it.
Turn10 is a part of Microsoft Games Studio.

iMax

After that, Greenawalt said, Forza 5 is like your refrigerator. “You have to fill it up with food the first time”, he explained. “And from then on, you connect whenever you want when you want to update your food.”
AIWTE6k.gif

Hana-Bi

Well, if your game has to be "finished" maybe 2 months before launch (certifing and going gold one month before release) you have two options: lay back and wait or add content and give it away for free at launch.

I'm okay with this.

Anteo

1) That sounds like some sort of DRM to me. I mean you wont get the full game if you are not connected to the internet at least once. Not as bad as always online tho.

2) I blame this aproach to all of the people complaining about DLC on disk. Now we are not only not getting DLC on disk, but the game itself wont be on the disk. lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Boy, and here I was complaining about no night/dynamic lights/weather.

I really wonder just how much content is going to be in the game.

Well, if your game has to be "finished" maybe 2 months before launch (certifing and going gold one month before release) you have two options: lay back and wait or add content and give it away for free at launch.

I'm okay with this.

I'd say it is more a case of Forza 5 being built from the ground up for an always online box. Now they had to make it work offline too and are scrambling like crazy.

Megasoum

Banned
Turn10 is a part of Microsoft Games Studio.

Doesn't matter. People need to realize that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo don't check game for quality or amount of content, they check it for a list of VERY specific issues. If the game doesn't have any of those VERY SPECIFIC bugs into it then it goes to retail. They don't give a shit if the game is 20min long and consist of a guy shitting on you for the whole 20 minutes.

Justin

The main concern, as per always online, is this means Forza 5 will always have a clock counting down above it towards the time when it will stop working forever.

Which is a shame.

Mind you, I'm not sure how certification times being an issue and the game being shipped unfinished is necessarily meant to work together.

Funny to mention this just hours after Sony announces it is shutting dowb servers for 3 of its games including one that is only 3 years old and one that can only be played online.

Ty4on

Better than day 1 DLC. I don't see the problem with using the extra time after certifying the game to make/finish more content. Hope they're able to do it.

Top Bottom