• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

GameSeeker

This approach makes the Forza 5 disc pretty worthless. You are better off canceling your disc pre-order and just downloading the whole game.

Microsoft is still working towards that always online, no used game, digital only future :p

LAA

Really hope this sort of thing doesnt become common next gen. Buying essentially incomplete games, and then wasting precious space of your HDD to have the complete game in 2 parts.
Really dont like the sound of it at all, just sounds wrong to me.

Also means that the the ability to have the Xbox One completely offline isnt quite there either, if games require internet to even be booted, which seems the case for this.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I did the phone interview with Dan Greenawalt and wrote this story and, IMO, this is 100 about getting every last second in order to get a AAA launch game shipped on time. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it has nothing to do with DRM or screwing users in some way as it does getting that extra 4-6 weeks to work on the game that they wouldn't have otherwise gotten had they been forced to ship entirely on disc.

thank you.

Bsigg12

Err no. They're obviously rushing the game out so it's on the shelves before it's finished. As others have said - and it's a crazy idea - but why not delay shipping until the full game can be put on the disc?

The XBO still requires an internet connection at launch for a day 1 update. Take that for what you will. Day 1 updates/mandatory downloads will be a thing that happens constantly this gen with both systems ability to download while you play.

I'm going all digital next gen. Wonder if this means I have to download the dlc after I download the game.. I assume it's due to the drm reversal. No biggie for me, but I feel bad for anyone who gets an xbox without an Internet connection.

Because the game has to go into certification at Microsoft at least 2 months before release... Those two months can be used to finish some of the not critical content before release.

Is it critical or not though? If it was just extra cars and tracks or whatever, they could pitch it as free bonus pack DLC and everyone would be happy, but Greenawalt's making it sound like it's more essential than that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why isn't this just a patch? Is the content that vital that they won't let you play without it?

I'm fine with day 1 patches, especially for launch games, but this just seems odd.

Dunkers92

To me, this kind of confirms that the rumour that game development (for some) for Xbone are behind, but this is quite a clever way to overcome this issue.

I hope this doesn't become a theme though, because it does seem like a cheeky way to require you to activate your game online

pixlexic

Banned
Complete gaf overreaction.

This game was the de facto always online launch game. Of course there will be huge last min changes.

Also what game this gen has launch with no day one patch? not many.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Really hope this sort of thing doesnt become common next gen. Buying essentially incomplete games, and then wasting precious space of your HDD to have the complete game in 2 parts.
Really dont like the sound of it at all, just sounds wrong to me.

Also means that the the ability to have the Xbox One completely offline isnt quite there either, if games require internet to even be booted, which seems the case for this.

You make it sound like day one updates are some big new thing.

I did the phone interview with Dan Greenawalt and wrote this story and, IMO, this is 100 about getting every last second in order to get a AAA launch game shipped on time. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it has nothing to do with DRM or screwing users in some way as it does getting that extra 4-6 weeks to work on the game that they wouldn't have otherwise gotten had they been forced to ship entirely on disc.
Aren't you the guy that described MS's horrific DRM policies as them "dragging people into the future"?

Megasoum

Banned
Is it critical or not though? If it was just extra cars and tracks or whatever, they could pitch it as free bonus pack DLC and everyone would be happy, but Greenawalt's making it sound like it's more essential than that.

The way I see it is that this will all be optional content (like the stuff you would get in a normal dlc pack) however it will be a lot more content than we would normally get in a DLC, especially a free one.

I'd say it is more a case of Forza 5 being built from the ground up for an always online box. Now they had to make it work offline too and are scrambling like crazy.

This makes absolutely no sense. The number of people who overstate the difficulty of getting rid of the online checkin from the console is maddening.

Every game was already able to be played offline for 24 hours. It's most likely nothing has changed in regards to Forza 5's development.

abadguy

Banned
This approach makes the Forza 5 disc pretty worthless. You are better off canceling your disc pre-order and just downloading the whole game.

Microsoft is still working towards that always online, no used game, digital only future :p

That's pretty much inevitable anyway. MS just attempted to pull the trigger too early.

Gaogaogao

imagine, a game built with the idea that an always on internet connection was mando needing some adjustments with a last minute change! oh gosh!

also, this allows them to include actual more stuff with the game. tracks and cars as mentioned. day 1. free. you get more then you would have if the game were "locked down" when it goes gold to be pressed.

but bitch bitch bitch more please.

this does not "allow" them to add more stuff day 1, adding stuff day one is spun into an excuse not to finish the game until after discs have been pressed. this is a bad precedent.

Freki

Ok - crazy ass theory time

Pre 180 Microsoft didn't need to verify discs in order to prevent piracy because of the required only connection.

Post 180 Microsoft needs to verify discs in order to prevent piracy.
Maybe they have problems implementing a sound verification method.
Requiring a day one patch for every game enables them to ban the unique id's of images shared over torrents et al and preventing them from getting the neccesary patch to play the game...

End crazy ass theory time

You people complaining about are out of your minds. I mean this is the most pragmatic approach to console launch content for a game like this. The debs can concentrate on getting core systems built and then just pour in content when you first launch the game. Once.

"Pre order cancelled" is bullshit of the highest degree. Seriously dumb.

If they didn't have to press an antiquated piece of plastic 60 days out, they could hammer on this game until the moment they click "send" but as we need to drag people kicking and screaming into a digital-first world then you just have to suck it up and sit through a couple minutes to update the game.

Sakes.

op_ivy

This makes absolutely no sense. The number of people who overstate the difficulty of getting rid of the online checkin from the console is maddening.

Every game was already able to be played offline for 24 hours. It's most likely nothing has changed in regards to Forza 5's development.

other then the fact that with the always online xbone this would be an even smaller issue then it is now.

Metfanant

There's a difference between a functional game and the amount of content in said game. When you send a game in cert at Microsoft, they don't judge the content, they check if it works. In theory they could submit the game with 1 track and 1 car and Microsoft would still approve it.

As it says, the game will be functional but additional tracks and cars will be patched in on launch day along with the latest Drivetars.

Doesn't matter. People need to realize that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo don't check game for quality or amount of content, they check it for a list of VERY specific issues. If the game doesn't have any of those VERY SPECIFIC bugs into it then it goes to retail. They don't give a shit if the game is 20min long and consist of a guy shitting on you for the whole 20 minutes.

Oops, didn't get that. Sorry! It's still questionable, bit it makes a little bit more sense.

Sure, they may require it, like the AI for the Drivetars might not be on the disc, but that doesn't mean the game isn't functional enough to pass certification.

Because the game has to go into certification at Microsoft at least 2 months before release... Those two months can be used to finish some of the not critical content before release.

woah woah woah....lets look at the article again....

Dan Greenawalt said:
[But] that is required content to play the game. We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in, in order to make the biggest game possible.”

the key here is "required content to PLAY the game...that implies to me that it will NOT function as a game without this content...lets continue...

is Forza 5’s attempt at next-generation AI in that there is no pre-programmed artificial intelligence. Instead, a ghost version of yourself races on your behalf, using your repeated behavior and tendencies to mimic how you’d race if you were actually playing. Drivatars of random gamers all over the world are what you race against in your single-player campaign.

that means...the game is literally going to ship WITHOUT AI!? of any kind?...so this game passed certification...with a single player mode that would literally be you driving around the courses without any opponents?! WTF!?

Whatever the case is, as a journalist, why didnt you ask them, why you MUST download the Free DLC?
Why is that a requirement for even starting the Game and why couldnt players play this Game without the free DLC?

And if it wouldnt be possible, ask why it wouldnt be possible? Why ship it out in an incomplete form with the requirement (!) of downloading DLC?

Justin

the key here is "required content to PLAY the game...that implies to me that it will NOT function as a game without this content...lets continue...

that means...the game is literally going to ship WITHOUT AI!? of any kind?...so this game passed certification...with a single player mode that would literally be you driving around the courses without any opponents?! WTF!?

It has AI. The patch probably includes progression elements (cars,tracks etc)

imagine, a game built with the idea that an always on internet connection was mando needing some adjustments with a last minute change! oh gosh!

also, this allows them to include actual more stuff with the game. tracks and cars as mentioned. day 1. free. you get more then you would have if the game were "locked down" when it goes gold to be pressed.

but bitch bitch bitch more please.
Then they should just delay the game more since the point for the 1st delay is for people to have a choice to play the game without connecting to the internet in the 1st place. Now you still have to connect to the internet before you can play the game?

Xenon

We’re not making a launch game. We’re making Forza 5, at launch.

XpnsYUY.gif

op_ivy

Whatever the case is, as a journalist, why didnt you ask them, why you MUST download the Free DLC?
Why is that a requirement for even starting the Game and why couldnt players play this Game without the free DLC?

how would the career mode function if you are missing tracks? they just arent included?

crisis averted. thats no longer an excuse now.

i give up.

In other words, because games have to be submitted to Microsoft testing, certified, and then pressed onto discs and shipped, Forza 5 has to be done much, much sooner than November. By requiring part of the game as a download on launch day, it gives Turn 10 extra time to finish everything.

Soooo part of the game won't get tested as much as the rest which could lead to more bugs? Seems an odd approach.

thefit

Welcome to pc gaming were we get broke/incomplete games day1 all the time and you either put up with it or don't bother at all and that goes of course for wether you bought it at retail or downloaded it.

Wonder if its just a cover for them being behind on the development, the demo at E3 looked nice but that was just a tiny taste probably optimized for the show.

Metfanant

It has AI. The patch probably includes progression elements (cars,tracks etc)

oh it does???...you have a source for that info??...because the article states differently...the initial set of Drivatar's are included in the patch...that is clear

Forza 5’s attempt at next-generation AI in that there is no pre-programmed artificial intelligence. Instead, a ghost version of yourself races on your behalf, using your repeated behavior and tendencies to mimic how you’d race if you were actually playing. Drivatars of random gamers all over the world are what you race against in your single-player campaign.

Somnia

The game was built with the drivatar AI in mind from the beginning. They thought up until the 180 everyone playing this game would connect at least once to download the initial AI from players (or right at launch, devs) and then connect more in its life to continue to download more of them.

Not that they couldn't have included some on the disc, but for a launch game this forced day one download so they can keep working on content till launch day is 100% ok imo... After launch is another story.

It makes perfect sense. Previously devs never had to worry about xbox one consoles that would never go online. As such they would have developed their schedules around it. Evil or not, it has advantages for not worrying too much about what is on the disc.

That was all changed suddenly and now there will be an expectation that games will "work" without any net at all. This can still mean lots of day 1 content and patches, but also that none of it is needed to play.

It looks like Forza is caught up in this change because their release date did not get adjusted.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
My biggest problem with Forza 5 is that it's coming out on the XBONEd.

trb8z3k.jpg

getting a little tired, gaf :/

abadguy

Banned
I bought Horizon during the sale and I'm really struggling to like it. Right now it just reminds me of a Burnout Paradise clone with a worse DJ Atomika.

Why would a game that plays nothing at all like Burnout Paradise remind you of a clone of it.

Top Bottom