• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Wasnt this originally part of the Xbox One plan before the internet raged?

They were never very clear on it. The game discs with DRM could be traded in only to participating retailers.

For the digital stuff they said something about being able to gift a game one time to someone who had been on your friends list for 30+ days.

So I guess that would allow for a one time transfer. But that's still not along the lines of what I was talking about as we need a system that allows unlimited transfers.

No reasons I shouldn't be able to sell my digital game (which deactivates my licenses and deletes it from my machine) and have whoever buys it be able to do the same when they're done with it.

No different that one disc copy of a game getting sold and passed around a bunch of times. Only the current disc/license owner can play it either way.

How does that work though? The content still needs to be ready for launch so I don't understand the logic behind this.

This is just a way to give them extra time to finish the content. It wasn't going to be done in time to make it on the disc, so they either had to delay the game or do this.

Picobrain

Banned
I don't get something. Why they didn't put "main" game on the disk so you can still play offline and offer additional cars and tracks in the patch? This way even people without internet at home can still play it.

All of this was posted before the 180. And there is nothing to indicate that it is false. Tell you what you post your sources for what you're saying and I'll post mine then we'll have a good laugh about it afterwards.

REALLY? You actually believed the PR flap MS said? You're delusional.

I don't get something. Why they didn't put "main" game on the disk so you can still play offline and offer additional cars and tracks in the patch? This way even people without internet at home can still play it.

Because it's not done. They're dressing up how delayed and broken it is by saying "You're downloading CONTENT!"

pixlexic

Banned
They could have easily just release the parts that were done and add the rest as an expansion.

Gt5 launched in a very similar manner.

Why do I feel that if the same news was released about a Sony launch game the reaction would be to congratulate Sony for having consumers in mind and not delaying the game or making the download at cost DLC.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
They said the game is playable without the patch and that it is only needed much later in the game, so you still have several hours of playtime before you even need the races and cars in the patch. They also said it will download in the background so that by the time you reach the need for the patch, it'll already be downloaded. The way they implemented imo is ok since unless you get to that point without any internet connection, then you won't even notice.

Why do I feel that if the same news was released about a Sony launch game the reaction would be to congratulate Sony for having consumers in mind and not delaying the game or making the download at cost DLC.

This same complaint would be about any company selling a useless shell of a disc.

Gran Turismo games HAVE released before they were finished. But guess what? They were something that Forza 5 isn't.

Playable.

They said the game is playable without the patch and that it is only needed much later in the game, so you still have several hours of playtime before you even need the races and cars in the patch. They also said it will download in the background so that by the time you reach the need for the patch, it'll already be downloaded. The way they implemented imo is ok since unless you get to that point without any internet connection, then you won't even notice.

Where in sam hill did you pull that factoid out of?

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
This same complaint would be about any company selling a useless shell of a disc.

Gran Turismo games HAVE released before they were finished. But guess what? They were something that Forza 5 isn't.

Playable.

Where in sam hill did you pull that factoid out of?

That's what they mention in the IGN interview.

For people that say half the game is on disc:
"In the beginning of the game, the player will be racing against Drivatars that are contained on the disc and were trained by the [Turn 10 development] team," Greenawalt said. "While playing, the player will be asked to connect to Live in order to download a completely fresh set of player-created Drivatar opponents – it’s not a lot of data, but the download contains enough Drivatars to cover all difficulty settings. Connecting will also download new content – but the vast majority of the launch content is contained on the disc.

As for background download:
"This download is simply additional cars and tracks. The gameplay is not blocked while downloading the additional content; it’s done in the background just like disc install."

And the last one:
"The player won't be blocked from playing the game" if they've never connected it to Xbox Live, Greenawalt said. "But deeper areas in the career mode were designed to utilize these additional cars and tracks."

Jesus. Microsoft is terrible at communicating their messages...

This whole discussions wouldn't have happened if they just said that in the original article.

Snubbers

Jesus. Microsoft is terrible at communicating their messages...

This whole discussions wouldn't have happened if they just said that in the original article.

In this case, MS aren't really to blame..

Their original statement was very straight forward, The game wasn't ready, it'd have extra content delivered day 1 via a patch..

What MS don't realise is that a bunch of not very logical people take everything they say and spin it to FUD levels instantly and run to the interwebz to tell the world.. MS then have to spell things out in explicit minute detail..

At least, that's how I see it..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
...how delayed and broken it is...

i will bet you not a single reviewer or legitimate impression of forza day 1 will describe it as broken. in fact, it will very likely be among the most polished of all the next gen launch games. guaranteed.

watership

In this case, MS aren't really to blame..

Their original statement was very straight forward, The game wasn't ready, it'd have extra content delivered day 1 via a patch..

What MS don't realise is that a bunch of not very logical people take everything they say and spin it to FUD levels instantly and run to the interwebz to tell the world.. MS then have to spell things out in explicit minute detail..

At least, that's how I see it..

MS could have been more clear. The problem still remains, the whomever is working MS communication must scrub everything they say now.

"Is there anyone who can take this info, and twist it and manipulate it to make us look bad"

The problem with that is ANY info can be twisted. There have been some positive spin lately on the Xbox One front, and that has been immediately demonized. It's panic. It's a scam. It's money, etc. My take is that you just keep on making the right moves, release good games, make sure the console works great and you'll power through it.

jim2011

Can a mod please update the first post with ign's interview confirming the offline details. People are jumping in without knowing what ign originally posted is wrong.

Top Bottom