• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 will require a day 1 free DLC download

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
As it says, the game will be functional but additional tracks and cars will be patched in on launch day along with the latest Drivetars.

Oops, didn't get that. Sorry! It's still questionable, bit it makes a little bit more sense.

Freki

Does this mean that in 10-20 years you can't run Forza5 on a console that hasn't gotten the day1 patch yet?
If true then this sets a bad precedent :-(

shandy706

Well, I'm sitting here waiting on a 12GB download on Steam.

I'm not worried about a few hundred MB or a GB or two to play Forza 5.

Does this mean that in 10-20 years you can't run Forza5 on a console that hasn't gotten the day1 patch yet?

Stop and think for a minute. By then, we'll have a "directors cut" / "Game of the Year" / "Platinum Edition" with all the content.

Megasoum

Banned
Does this mean that in 10-20 years you can't run Forza5 on a console that hasn't got the day1 patch yet?

I'm sure that the "GOTY" edition of Forza 5 will include the free DLC.

Ehh. Both.

Yup, people need to stop always thinking that the industry is always Publishers = Bad Guys, Developpers = Good guys. It's never as clear cut as that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It actually says the content is required to play the game...

Sure, they may require it, like the AI for the Drivetars might not be on the disc, but that doesn't mean the game isn't functional enough to pass certification.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oops, didn't get that. Sorry! It's still questionable, bit it makes a little bit more sense.
If this means the tracks won't be interwoven with the main career mode like previous Forza DLC tracks then...yeesh.

Edit: never mind, it does say those tracks will be in the career.

Lock if old

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/07/16/forza-motorsport-5-requires-one-time-internet-connection

As much as I think it kinda sucks, I'm suprised I never thought of that before. It's the natural evolution of the day 1 patch.

Call me cynical, but this a perfect vehicle to introduce something worse than the online pass.

You buy the game, but for it to function outside of a extended demo mode, you need to have a new copy and download the full game. Have a used copy and you will need to pay a fee for the download.

Soulflarz

Banned
Im having a hard time believing forza has dlc thats...free...
Ill have a hard time until i see it on my console

Last i checked the season pass for horizons some god awful price
I paid $5 for it the other day to download ($15, but $5 from that $10 off thing a month ago) and all the dlc was like $60
Yes ill pay a 1200% increase for more cars :/

Bsigg12

This is such an outrage! Launch games are supposed to be half baked and suck!

But seriously, I would rather devs do this now in the time we're in rather than give us shit games like Madden 05 for the 360. The only time I feel this is acceptable is for launch games. They have less overall time to develop the game where as a year after release devs will have had ample time.

Since Forza 5 isn't being ported from another version, like BF4 and the PC version, this is acceptable. I also expect a few other games on both the XBO and PS4 to do the same thing this November.

We’re not making a launch game. We’re making Forza 5, at launch.
iblKYjeXkeQEV5.gif

1) That sounds like some sort of DRM to me. I mean you wont get the full game if you are not connected to the internet at least once. Not as bad as always online tho.

That's exactly what this sounds like. So they got rid of the always on DRM, except that you have to connect the console day one, and even in the case of Forza they're making you download a portion of the game, again making sure that you get the console online.

It's basically a way of saying "don't buy our console if you don't have broadband".

Sure, they may require it, like the AI for the Drivetars might not be on the disc, but that doesn't mean the game isn't functional enough to pass certification.

But the point is that the disc itself seems to not be a fully functional game by itself.

Day 1 DLC was bad. Now actual required content for the game is being left out of the disc.

Hope this is really just a single case for this game because of the launch target.

dose

Its the exact opposite of rushing the game. They have lots of extra dev time since they're doing this.
Err no. They're obviously rushing the game out so it's on the shelves before it's finished. As others have said - and it's a crazy idea - but why not delay shipping until the full game can be put on the disc?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
smh. this forum and all things xbone related has become almost unreadable.

That's exactly what this sounds like. So they got rid of the always on DRM, except that you have to connect the console day one, and even in the case of Forza they're making you download a portion of the game, again making sure that you get the console online.

It's basically a way of saying "don't buy our console if you don't have broadband".
Day 1 DLC was bad. Now actual required content for the game is being left out of the disc.
Wonder if reviewers are gonna lower scores because of this. Hopefully this is a 1-off case.

"that is required content to play the game" makes quite clear that the game won't work AT ALL without the DLC. If it's required, you don't have a less fancy or an uncomplete game, you'll have a game that won't work at all until you register it online.

Gaogaogao

hey you guys, we're going to require an internet connection. oh wait no we're not. nevermind, yes we are. Microsoft still has its head up its ass with regards to physical media.

Megasoum

Banned
Why not just include that on the disc though or are they too far into development do that or is there some other reason ?

Because the game has to go into certification at Microsoft at least 2 months before release... Those two months can be used to finish some of the not critical content before release.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
We’re not making a launch game. We’re making Forza 5, at launch.

This is essentially saying: "We're not releasing a complete game. We're completing a game, at release".

It's fucking horrible. This generation hasn't even begun and already has shitty practices.

For those saying this isn't a problem. It is. Most day one patches fix stuff, but the game should be playable (unless it's Skyrim on PS3), without this patch, you cannot play at all.

If you can't get your game ready at launch, then fucking delay it for fuck's sake. If people have a shitty internet, should they put up with a 2-5GB download?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Really it shows just how crunched for time Turn 10 is for launch. GT5 had its release date pushed back a few weeks and even when it launched it was missing a lot of online content and features that were patched in around a month later.

Has there been a track/car count released for the game yet?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
hey you guys, we're going to require an internet connection. oh wait no we're not. nevermind, yes we are. Microsoft still has its head up its ass with regards to physical media.

imagine, a game built with the idea that an always on internet connection was mando needing some adjustments with a last minute change! oh gosh!

also, this allows them to include actual more stuff with the game. tracks and cars as mentioned. day 1. free. you get more then you would have if the game were "locked down" when it goes gold to be pressed.

but bitch bitch bitch more please.

Ryan_IGN

I did the phone interview with Dan Greenawalt and wrote this story and, IMO, this is 100% about getting every last second in order to get a AAA launch game shipped on time. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it has nothing to do with DRM or screwing users in some way as it does getting that extra 4-6 weeks to work on the game that they wouldn't have otherwise gotten had they been forced to ship entirely on disc.

ShapeGSX

Im having a hard time believing forza has dlc thats...free...
Ill have a hard time until i see it on my console

Last i checked the season pass for horizons some god awful price
I paid $5 for it the other day to download ($15, but $5 from that $10 off thing a month ago) and all the dlc was like $60
Yes ill pay a 1200% increase for more cars :/

Every car pack ever released for Forza has included one free car.

Top Bottom