• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS confirms indie program for XB1, was a big GamesCom surprise, angry at GI for leak

Krakn3Dfx

It'd be pretty funny if Sony came out at Gamescom and said, "Hey, we're going to make every PS4 a devkit, we're making that happen in 2014."

I would laugh.

VanWinkle

Ok, it's clear we do NOT know enough about this to make any judgements. All we know is that Microsoft technically "allowed" self-publishing on 360 as well, with XBLIG. This could very well be completely different, but we just don't know.

If they are allowing self-publishing right to the main Marketplace, and if they're really doing away with "dev kits" [as they potentially were], then major kudos to them. Until we know for sure, though, it's just up in the air.

But if MS has a situation that is the same as Sony why would you not try to make more money?

You're arguing with a person who thinks that Microsoft announced this (through a leak), let the story ride for 15 minutes on a few gaming websites, and announced that there will be limitations at launch only so that they could trick people to pre-order a console.

As if the collective internet is sitting on Amazon at every instant of every day, with their finger hovering over the buy now button, waiting for a new shred of positive news to finally pre-order an Xbox One.

What I'm saying is, what's the point?

Doffen

Microsoft claiming this is their "vision" is hilarious. They had some very different visions just a couple months ago. Their "vision" changes constantly, and is extremely reactionary. What a joke.

Microsoft got no vision, therefor Kinect.

It'd be pretty funny if Sony came out at Gamescom and said, "Hey, we're going to make every PS4 a devkit, we're making that happen in 2014."

I would laugh.
or. it comes with the new ps eye and still retain the $399 pricepoint and release a month early.

Oh. we are talking about devkit.
with the vita. would be nice. just a month away until gamescom

Raymo

$10 says this will prove to be false. They are going to separate WinRT apps and "proper" Xbone games to their own marketplaces, mark my words.

I think they will have their full XBox games and then the App Market place that includes windowsRT/indie games.

Including the indie games with the other apps allows them to say there won't be a seperate section for indie games by themselves.

Huh,

I just realised GI has now ruined MS's big surprises for E3 and Gamescom this year.

At least this one was on purpose.

Anyway I am really curious what developers MS has got to showcase this change.

Courage

Microsoft claiming this is their "vision" is hilarious. They had some very different visions just a couple months ago. Their "vision" changes constantly, and is extremely reactionary. What a joke.

Their vision is to keep changing their vision.

I have a better idea for your "big announcement" at gamescon, Microsoft.

Why don't you give me a reason to give you $100 more for a less powerful system rather than checking a box Sony has already checked.

And yes I have seen Titanfall

I think it looks average, not a must buy for me anyway

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I don't remember, did they ever actually say they wouldn't allow self publishing? Or were they just generally quiet on the matter?

A few months ago this was not being planned by them internally, and they explicitly said it wasn't going to be possible (and that was the clear message behind closed doors). There were even factions within Microsoft aware of the stupidity of the situation who were proactively looking for loopholes to effectively allow self publishing in a practical sense even if it wasn't technically the case.

This is a change in policy and strategy from earlier in the year, and the fact it isn't going to be ready at launch is evidence that this change is recent.

Great news for independent developers and publishers in any case. Looking forward to hearing more because the devil is in the details.

Sony's gamescom surprise is going to be a bit more surprising. But this is a great move by MS. I was misinformed and thought the home unit was just going to be a debug unit... being an actual dev kit is awesome. It's obviously not going to be as powerful as the full fledged dev kit because you need overhead power... but for most indie games that's not an issue in the slightest.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Huh,

I just realised GI has now ruined MS's big surprises for E3 and Gamescom this year.

I forgot that GI leaked all of the Titanfall info. I think that may explain why MS is upset with them more than just this. It'll be interesting to see if GI gets any MS exclusive info from now on.

Sony's gamescom surprise is going to be a bit more surprising. But this is a great move by MS. I was misinformed and thought the home unit was just going to be a debug unit... being an actual dev kit is awesome. It's obviously not going to be as powerful as the full fledged dev kit because you need overhead power... but for most indie games that's not an issue in the slightest.
Please be games, please be games, please be games

VanWinkle

What's funny about this? Would be good news right?

Would be amazing news. But we don't even know if retail XB1s are really doing to straight up be dev kits. I have a hard time believing that no publishers or developers will ever have to buy an XB1 "dev kit", but again, if they do, that would be quite incredible.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Huh,

What E3 thing did they spoil?

edit: oh right, titanfall.

airborn

All WinRT apps (including everything self published) will be shoved to its own marketplace, mark my words.
Words with Friends is supposedly coming to Xbox One, look at how it's being classified:

photo.0_cinema_640.0ncbhf.jpg

Krakn3Dfx

What's funny about this? Would be good news right?

Definitely, but given the attitudes of people close to MS like Kevin Dent saying that this has been in development for years and not to expect Sony to follow suit (he said that on Twitter), I would still laugh a little if Sony just came out and said they're doing it, too.

I would put down a $5 that Dent will be on stage for some indie love-in for the MS show at Gamescom this year.

see5harp

Yes, and the feature for the Xbox One that wont be ready at launch is independent developers being able to self publish their games on the system.

Completely the same thing.

The "not guilty by equivalence" argument going on in this thread is hilarious.

So you won't be able to self publish at launch or XBOX's can't become dev kits at launch? I'm confused.

Pretty great news. It's amazing how much MS has reneged on much of their vision for Xbox One after PS4 started getting positive buzz. THIS is why competition is good, now imagine if all the idiots out there who wanted Sony gone had their way. They'd be stuck with MS's original Xbox One plan.

Yea...fuck that noise.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I would laugh.

In a sandbox-y fashion they've done it with all their systems to one degree or another. Except maybe PSP. And they probably will make PS4 a PSM client, which would make every PS4 a debug unit for that platform.

Easy access to sandboxes is welcome if a system must be closed...but nowadays it should be an additional, not THE answer for devs who want to self publish native games.

600full-snatch-screenshot.jpg
w
What do you know?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
A few months ago this was not being planned by them internally, and they explicitly said it wasn't going to be possible (and that was the clear message behind closed doors). There were even factions within Microsoft aware of the stupidity of the situation who were proactively looking for loopholes to effectively allow self publishing in a practical sense even if it wasn't technically the case.

This is a change in policy and strategy from earlier in the year, and the fact it isn't going to be ready at launch is evidence that this change is recent.

Great news for independent developers and publishers in any case. Looking forward to hearing more because the devil is in the details.

ahahah, friggin MS and their vision. Wow. Thanks for the scoop Mario.

Raymo

You know something we don't? :)

Guymelef

You love doing this to us :(

BY2K

Membero Americo
Every Xbox One retail can be a devkit?

How are they gonna do that without compromising security?

shandy706

All of this bullshit seems SOOOO shoe-horned in.

I mean, look at this quote:

"It's how we architectured the [Xbox One], but it won't all be there at launch."

LOL

Sony said basically the exact same thing about numerous features, in February, 8+ months before we'll see the console...and they still won't be there at launch.

I dare you to say something positive about Microsoft. (and mean it, like I can with Sony and the Vita...which is awesome)

These companies can't just wave a magic wand and make fully realized features magically appear.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Glad to hear that they really are open to change and not just being stubborn.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sony's gamescom surprise is going to be a bit more surprising. But this is a great move by MS. I was misinformed and thought the home unit was just going to be a debug unit... being an actual dev kit is awesome. .

From what was quoted earlier you need a PC. Code on your PC, test/run on your console. So that would be more debug unit than standalone dev kit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Thanks for sharing.

Guess this is two steps forward one step back (or more). There are strings. Hopefully nothing terrible but this sounds like it's got plenty of them.

subrock

As an iOS developer I'm really happy about the ability to self publish. If they copy the Apple App Store model it will be a huge win for their ecosystem. I would definitely try to make a game if there wasn't a huge cert fee involved.

jbug617

Banned
I hope they have something better than this planned for Gamescom. Are they having a press comference?

I believe they are.

As an iOS developer I'm really happy about the ability to self publish. If they copy the Apple App Store model it will be a huge win for their ecosystem. I would definitely try to make a game if there wasn't a huge cert fee involved.

Crecente said there is no cert fee.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I meant while using your Xbox.
If the codebase is shared you will be getting lots of shitty little phone games on the store, the Xbone will literally look like firing up Win8. Are you really going to pay for any of them? And play them? On your big TV?

They didn't need to go down a whole "make us some games!" route, there are lots of great indie studios making superb games, all they needed to do is remove the "give half your earning to a proper publisher for some reason" limitation.

So your complaint is there will be more content? what?

Top Bottom