• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS confirms indie program for XB1, was a big GamesCom surprise, angry at GI for leak

Rat Salad

Banned
Can I get a little news with my salt?

No kidding! None the less cool news for the X1. To those downplaying.... who gives a shit if Sony may or may not do the same type move. Its dick waving saying they may do the same. You like this feature then maybe buy an X1 and enjoy it.

FranXico

I just think this is like PS3's "OtherOS" capability.

Lauded as a grand PR move, but ultimately just a PR move. This won't be used by 98% of consumers.

98% will every now and then play the games that the other 2% make. This is better than OtherOS.

Cartman86

Banned
I'm gonna echo what Jonathan Blow said:

How cool this is depends entirely on a lot of information that we just don't have yet. For example, the some of the reasons why I ignored XBLIG:

Ghetto (basically, a marketplace completely ignored by Microsoft)
No achievements
Max price of $3

Nevermind the massive issues in trying to get a game published on XBLA proper.

There are achievements and the marketplace does not discriminate according to Microsoft. The question of what resources the games have. If they are technically apps and maybe don't get full hardware resources is still open, but they did say that you can buy a dev kit right now and self publish. Why would they force you into a windows 8 app sandbox or something when you can use the same system that big games use to make your game and they will appear in the same store? What quality control advantage would Microsoft get there if all games are treated the same in the marketplace?

"Our vision is that every person can be a creator," Marc Whitten, corporate vice president at Xbox said in a statement. "That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox LIVE. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox LIVE. We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at Gamescom in August."

"My goal is for it to just show up in the marketplace," he told us. "Of course there will be different pivots inside of that. There will be everything from what are we curating, kind of like spotlight content, to the normal discoverability stuff like recommendations, what's trending, what's got a lot of engagement on the platform. And you'd be able to find that content in any of those. There wouldn't be any difference based on what type of game it was. Then of course there will be other type of pivots where you can go and look at whether its a genre of game or any other. But you shouldn't think of it as there's an indie area and a non-indie area."

see5harp

I just think this is like PS3's "OtherOS" capability.

Lauded as a grand PR move, but ultimately just a PR move. This won't be used by 98% of consumers.

I don't think it's analogous at all. Other OS didn't directly affect the marketplace of apps that every owner would have access to. Regardless of who they are copying, it's a good thing. Apple has been doing this forever which was what Blow's complaints about certification, self publishings seemed to come from.

Not if it is locked to the App OS.

Now the virtualizations OSs started to make sense.

If it's locked to the App OS, someone will just create an App that loads games stored of the hard drive (or any other storage). This has happen for generations, and now is every console can be a devkit, it will even be easier.

Also, jailbreaking a device is never impossible

KAL2006

Banned
Making every system into a Devikit is a great idea. People concerned about the devkit not using all the hardwares power/RAM and etc, Indie games tent to not push the system. Also for those few big Indie games, they can get proper Devkits, this doesn't mean normal Devkits are replaced. Hopefully Sony copy this with both PS4 and Vita.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
More vague bullshit.
Can't say I'm surprised, since it won't be available till next year at the earliest.

At this point, Windows 8 App Ghetto seems more likely,

I don't see how you can give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Just think real hard

and all will be clear.

Breathe.

No, seriously. What exactly are you saying? I imagine that it had to go through some sort of thought process, maybe even one that for some people requires "real hard" thinking, but I don't like to make presumptions about what is happening in another person's head, especially that kind of head.

So, what are you talking about? It can't possibly be that difficult to explain yourself.

TheOddOne

Never has this been more apt:
Faction #1:

don-mattrick-young.jpg

Faction #2:

Are-video-games-harmful2.jpg

Faction 2 always finds a way.

Wait, we can turn all of our home consoles into Devs kits? Someone call Kotaku!

Also, MS are planing more than just this announcement at GamesCom. Are people really thinking they are planning to get on stage for 5 mins, talk Indie and then get off?

Give me a break, you are seriously buying this 'every Xbone home console is a devkit' PR/marketing shit after their 'power of the Cloud' fiasco?

Care to explain how you think it will work? Do you think you can just hook your console to a PC and start firing out games on the marketplace? Fucking yeah right. This is more of the same from them.

eznark

Banned
Oh man the "every box is a devkit" opens the door to an awesome Velocity Girl esque press conference reveal. I'm pissed at GI for ruining that.

Give me a break, you are seriously buying this 'every Xbone home console is a devkit' PR/marketing shit after their 'power of the Cloud' fiasco?

Care to explain how you think it will work? Do you think you can just hook your console to a PC and start firing out games on the marketplace? Fucking yeah right. This is more of the same from them.

It already happened in 2008 XBLIG, and already happens with iOS and Android app stores. It's not some crazy, unheard of thing

Withnail

well, aren't "real" games also technically sandboxed? I thought that was the whole reason for all the VM hypervisor supersonic zippedy doo dah stuff.

To a certain extent you are right. But "real" games are signed code, i.e. code that has been approved by MS before it gets on the platform. The limitations placed on unsigned code will be very different to the limitations placed on signed code.

ethomaz

Banned
If it's locked to the App OS, someone will just create an App that loads games stored of the hard drive (or any other storage). This has happen for generations, and now is every console can be a devkit, it will even be easier.

Also, jailbreaking a device is never impossible
I never saw a VM accessing another VM hardware (it is virtual after all)... the hard drive is not a REAL hard drive, it is only a virtual hard drive (files in the real filesystem that simulates a HDD).

No hardware acess in a VM is real.. it is all over software.

Edit - That's the main point of the HyperV OS... it just create two complete difference and separated environment inside the same machine.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh man the "every box is a devkit" opens the door to an awesome Velocity Girl esque press conference reveal. I'm pissed at GI for ruining that.

Mojang with a hoodie/blazer combo sitting on stage, spoutin' indie talk.

DAMN now I'm pissed at GI too.

ari

Banned
That DRM shit makes sense now. Devkits in wankinko, geohot, and other pirates hands without online checks? Lol

Raide

Until proved otherwise, I believe them. Damn people are super negative and jaded about the games industry nowadays. Where is the damn positivity about the next-generation of consoles coming? Shits depressing sometimes. :D

Well, the PC coding, firing it up on a 360 via the XNA stuff was pretty straightforward, Nothing overly complex there, so why should their Xbox One plans be any more difficulty. Sure they will have a bit more information to sort through and probably register the consoles etc but if thtey make it way too complicated, nobody will d it.

Lynn616

Making every system into a Devikit is a great idea. People concerned about the devkit not using all the hardwares power/RAM and etc, Indie games tent to not push the system. Also for those few big Indie games, they can get proper Devkits, this doesn't mean normal Devkits are replaced. Hopefully Sony copy this with both PS4 and Vita.

Most Indie games will be fine not using the full power of the X1. The ones that are using more on the PC or PS4 can scale back a bit and still publish on the X1 marketplace. No reason not to really.

Sony's gamescom surprise is going to be a bit more surprising. But this is a great move by MS. I was misinformed and thought the home unit was just going to be a debug unit... being an actual dev kit is awesome. It's obviously not going to be as powerful as the full fledged dev kit because you need overhead power... but for most indie games that's not an issue in the slightest.

1358463900414.gif

but anyway if these updates where coming in 2014 instead of at launch day then why would they have a group of indie devs up there at gamescom... seems kinda silly to create a false image like that compared to Sony's one at E3

Massa

You can already do that on the Vita.

It already happened in 2008 XBLIG, and already happens with iOS and Android app stores. It's not some crazy, unheard of thing

No it didn't.

You know full well that what MS are bumblingly and haphazardly peddling now is something well above and beyond anything that was possible with the 360.

And you should also know that the real-world application of these latest claims will almost certainly not pass muster with what is being 'teased' after closer inspection.

Paskil

I will always lean hard towards Sony most and Nintendo second, but I bought a 360 and owned it for half of this gen. Besides having to send in a RROD unit for repair (which was a painless, free 30 day process), I loved the system and had a blast playing it.

MS hasn't done anything yet to sell me. My launch PS4 has been reserved on Amazon. Everything I've seen from them since their announce, while a clusterfuck, has generally been moving in a positive direction. Just keep showing me more games like DR3, MS. At some point, I will probably be plopping money down for one. Especially since I have yet to experience Kinect (and 2.0 looks a shit ton better than 1.0).

The devkit/debugging bit is exciting because it will hopefully result in more polished games launching.

jim2011

So let me get this straight, a lot of you think Microsoft is copying Sony on this?

I strongly believe it's been their plan all along. This is simply an evolution of xbox live indie games though a lot better.

Most of these concepts were in Xbox Live Indie games
1) Self Publishing
2) Turning retail console into dev/debug (not sure which) kit
3) Developer tools

The downsides were limited hardware access, lack of xbox live features, and a crappy store nobody touched.

Microsoft comes out with a new version of this for xbox one and you guys say they are copying sony? Insane.

Also, they are already announcing that at least two of those three negatives I mentioned are out of the picture. The only question left is hardware access.

Everything will be sandboxed. Think along the lines of XBLIG or PS Mobile.

Not exactly. These two were under c# (which is managed and runs under a "sandbox" itself). WinRT gives you c/c++ and direct access to the hardware.

WinRT is more strict than win32 for instance, but aside to running on a lower system level access compared to win32 i don't think there are any platform inherent performance drops, like you'd have with c#...

Vita does this now with Playstation Mobile games.

Top Bottom