• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wind Waker HD will have a "more Challenging mode"

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Posted?

Reduced price was not the only thing updated on amazon, here is what the game description says:

In this definitive version on the Wii U console, you can experience the game in gorgeous 1080p graphics, manage your inventory and view maps on the Wii U GamePad controller, and even choose to take on a more challenging difficulty level.
Get this mode available from the start and big fans will respond Nintendo.

tumblr_mpi8fqvlJ61rmgw6jo6_500.jpg

tumblr_mpi8fqvlJ61rmgw6jo1_500.jpg

Neiteio

Wow. Unlock that from the start and I will pick up this game. Otherwise, I will probably pass on this title for other games that are more respectful of my time.

Released

I recently replayed WW, and yeah, the game is just way too easy. The combat is pretty easy in all the 3D Zeldas, but the dungeon and puzzle designs in WW really set it apart as the easiest one for me. If there is a hard mode, I hope it includes some reworked level design. Not holding my breath for that though. It'll probably just alter Link's and/or the enemies' damage outputs.

d31m0s

Posted?

Reduced price was not the only thing updated on amazon, here is what the game description says:

Get this mode available from the start and big fans will respond Nintendo.

If it is just double/reduced damage given/taken then i dont see what the fuss is but if it can increase the challenge in a satisfying way i am game

Pappasman

A hard mode would be great. The combat in WW is my favorite of all zelda games and a more challenging diffuculty could let that shine.

Articalys

For now I'm just going to set my expectations at "same thing as Skyward Sword Hero Mode." Anything more than that will then be a pleasant surprise.

Hmm, hope it's unlocked from the get-go. I'm calling it now- it'll still be too easy, or else they'll overcompensate and make it hard in some unnecessarily tedious way. I don't trust Nintendo to properly balance the difficulty in Zelda games anymore, even as a tacked on mode. It'd be nice to be wrong though.

Neiteio

I like how OoT3D handled it:

- Link does half damage
- Enemies do double damage
- Mirrored dungeons and overworld
- Remixed puzzles in dungeon

It used Master Quest as a base, mirrored everything, and recalculated the damage. Very nice!

Tagg9

Would definitely play a harder difficulty mode (even though I've never played WW). More of a challenge is always appreciated.

Neiteio

Dark Souls mode. Believe.
A Dark Souls mode, where even basic Chus can kill you if you get greedy with your attacks, and where upon dying you drop all of your rupees, which you must reclaim by getting back to the spot where you dropped them, without dying a second time. Rupees are used to "enable" Pieces of Heart, so without them, the Pieces of Heart and Heart Containers you collect won't expand your health. Also, people can invade your game as Shadow Link and try to kill you.

Normal mode is going to be updated with Skyward Sword levels of hand holding, and "Hard" mode is just going to be the original game.

DJwest

A Dark Souls mode, where even basic Chus can kill you if you get greedy with your attacks, and where upon dying you drop all of your rupees, which you must reclaim by getting back to the spot where you dropped them, without dying a second time. Rupees are used to "enable" Pieces of Heart, so without them, the Pieces of Heart and Heart Containers you collect won't expand your health. Also, people can invade your game as Shadow Link and try to kill you.
Yeah, no. Just no.

Auskeek

I'd probably buy that.

True talk, the next Zelda game needs invasions of some kind. It could be optional at the start of a game file, but yeah.

qq more

I can't see how a Zelda game with invasion could possibly work. It sounds way more annoying than fun, especially when you're trying to solve puzzles.

upandaway

There's really no reason NOT to do an island swap for this. Call it the Second Quest or whatever.

I always thought that a good way to make Zelda harder would be to disable the optional (and even not optional maybe) weapon/armor upgrades, like, have them still be in the game, but change their effects to something like more rupees or whatever.
Though, I'm not really sure if damage recalculation will actually make WW any harder. The combat is just inherently easy, it would require a complete rewrite to get anywhere with it. Might as well just embrace that combat is inconsequential and add content instead.

Lovely. I'd definitely be up for a harder quest, since it was pretty easy for someone familiar with Ocarina of Time. I do hope it's unlocked from the start. If not, I hope the photo side quest stuff doesn't reset when you start playing through it again.

Such a wonderful game. Even if there weren't updates to the gameplay I'd have been more than happy to play through it again. First time round I played in japanese, which I don't understand at all, so it'll be a new experience just playing it in a language I understand.

I still haven't played Spirit Tracks or Skyward Sword. I've probably got time to do that before October.

I don't know about the shadow link part (lmao, I like it though), the rest of that sounds outstanding though.

peakish

Cool, hopefully never again a quarter-heart damage attack will be seen. Not expecting them to really remix the combat though, Aonuma's previous comments haven't given me confidence in that, and that is really what Wind Waker would need. Fighting with enemy weapons is cool but never, ever that useful since the QTE attack solves most problems without effort. Making combat more varied would fix a large hole in one of the many half baked executions of awesome concepts the game has.

In contrast, I'm just expecting this likely locked-until-completion option to raise the damage output and health of enemies or something.

Top Bottom