• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wind Waker HD will have a "more Challenging mode"

Sophia

Zelda is about adventure and exploration, not difficulty.

The first three games in the series say "Hi!" Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask aren't exactly the easiest games in the world either in terms of the puzzle parts.

I really hope this is unlocked, or better yet, have it be like the Master Quest and unlocked by entering ZELDA as your name.

JoV

I can't imagine them changing the puzzles. Didn't Aonuma talk down any changes to the game so as not to distance it from the 'spirit' of the original, or some such?

The puzzles in the original were extremely easy though. Very similar to OoT. I can't remember having too many troubles on my first play through.

Still very much looking forward to playing this through again though.

RagnarokX

Cool, hopefully never again a quarter-heart damage attack will be seen. Not expecting them to really remix the combat though, Aonuma's previous comments haven't given me confidence in that, and that is really what Wind Waker would need. Fighting with enemy weapons is cool but never, ever that useful since the QTE attack solves most problems without effort. Making combat more varied would fix a large hole in one of the many half baked executions of awesome concepts the game has.

In contrast, I'm just expecting this likely locked-until-completion option to raise the damage output and health of enemies or something.
I think that's safe considering thd last Zelda they made had 1 heart damage minimum.

Consider the demographic for a second. I don't think they care. Hench most of the modern Zeldas being easy-peasy:(
Skyward Sword had the most engaging and challenging combat the series has had in a long while.

Id actually that argue that the game being easier than most other Zelda games suits the game well, the tone is much more whimsical and happy, i find myself sitting there and smiling when i play Wind Waker, its just a easy going, fun experience. It is what sets it apart from every Zelda game, where you are sometimes struggling or even get annoyed, but experience that classic rush when you finally figure out a puzzle.

But hey, a more challenging mode hurts no one
One of Wind Waker's strengths is the duality of its world. It's bright and cartoony but hiding tragedy. Link just turns 10 and has to muster the courage to trek across the vast ocean to save his sister. In truth it's one of the darker Zeldas.

The first three games in the series say "Hi!" Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask aren't exactly the easiest games in the world either in terms of the puzzle parts.

I really hope this is unlocked, or better yet, have it be like the Master Quest and unlocked by entering ZELDA as your name.

The first two games are easy as well. Adventure Of Link does not count, as it is not a True Zelda title. Imo

Mory Dunz

I laughed at the moonwalk gif, but now I feel like I've been spoiled since I've never played Majora's Mask and now I know what the last boss fight looks like. I was waiting for the 3DS release.

There's a lot more to how the final boss looks than what was shown in that gif...

This is what I want to see when I turn this game on.

> New Game / Continue
>> Normal Mode / Hard Mode
>>> Tutorial and Help Messages - On / Off

ToxicAdam

I love that bonus dungeon in WW on the initial island. The combat really shines because hearts are scarce and enemies are numerous. I wish the regular quest had more of that and less of what it was.

RagnarokX

This is what I want to see when I turn this game on.

> New Game / Continue
>> Normal Mode / Hard Mode
>>> Tutorial and Help Messages - On / Off
Apart from the sword tutorial at the start Wind Waker didn't really have tutorials, though it would be nice to skip that. I don't remember help messages being a problem either.

Though really they have to force the sword tutorial for first timers because it teaches parrying. I watched a Zelda marathon live stream and the guy playing Wind Waker towards the end and he didn't know what the flashing A on the screen meant. You gotta parry to beat some enemies like Darknuts and the final boss. He actually died on the final boss; a feat I didn't think possible! :p

Kade

If this isn't a repeat of the atrocious Hero Mode in Skyward Sword, you have my attention and maybe my money, Nintendo.

Released

I love that bonus dungeon in WW on the initial island. The combat really shines because hearts are scarce and enemies are numerous. I wish the regular quest had more of that and less of what it was.

Yeah, the game has some interesting enemies (like the Moblins and the Darknuts) and the potential for good combat variety. The regular quest really doesn't make good use of it though.

Gillian Seed said:
The first two games are easy as well

Compared to WW? Absolutely not.

Bullza2o

Interesting but I was kind of expecting this. I know I'm getting Mario for Christmas, but I'm not sure about a second Wii U game yet. Perhaps this is it or Donkey Kong, but I don't like the idea of getting 2 platformers in a row.

Yes, from the start!!

I can't even try to understand why they did put the Master Quest in OoT, only after the end..

Has there been any official statement??
Probably because "Master Quest" was originally separately released as a remix of OoT to begin with, but OoT3D enhanced it as being a more difficult mode too. It can be considered as a very nice bonus to have it included in the game.

more damage
more enemies
more frequent ocean encounters
mirrored mode
scatter the islands
rotate everything

:p

WW already threw alot of enemies at you. It is just that a majority of them only did quarter-damage IIRC.

What's the difference between "mirrored mode" and "rotate everything?"

For now I'm just going to set my expectations at "same thing as Skyward Sword Hero Mode." Anything more than that will then be a pleasant surprise.

I can see that too, since damage and the abundance of heart drops were the main reasons why the game's difficulty was lacking. Nintendo may also decide to mirror the world, though. It would have been also more complicated to do that in Skyward sword due to the sword mechanics.

The first two games are easy as well. Adventure Of Link does not count, as it is not a True Zelda title. Imo

I disagree. LoZ and LttP aren't easy games. They're certainly not as hard as some other games of the era but I wouldn't call them easy categorically. Throw LoZ at, say, somebody who started with Playstation and they'd have a hell of a time with it. The game doesn't handhold and it can be difficult trying to find everything. And why isn't AoL a true Zelda game?

Either way, I guarantee you a new LoZ player dies at least a few times. It might have actually been impossible to die in Wind Waker unless you smacked the pigs around too much and got caught against a fence.

meora

Banned
I really hope it's available from the start. I played through Ocarina of Time 3D and Skyward Sword, then when I went to play the harder modes I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I love the games, so that's not the problem. I just have issues getting interested in games during a second play-through.

RagnarokX

I really hope it's available from the start. I played through Ocarina of Time 3D and Skyward Sword, then when I went to play the harder modes I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I love the games, so that's not the problem. I just have issues getting interested in games during a second play-through.

But if you don't replay Wind Waker you'll never find out what certain characters were saying!

Haines

Banned
I never got around to playing OOT when I was young so doing OoT3D was ana amzing experience as a Nintendo fan.

I can see this being a repeat experience for me! Im so excited!

If this is available from the beginning I actually think I might be picking this up at launch. It's really the deciding factor. The game is actually obscenely easy to the point of hindering the experience in my eyes.

I know it won't do anything, but I tweeted NoA to pull some strings and make that happen :p

Zornack

I just can't see it being available at the start. That'd be such a un-Nintendo thing to do. If it's there I'll do the unthinkable and buy a Wii U.

eXistor

This is very good news. Normally I don't mind a low-ish difficulty as long as the player gets to do his own thing, but WW really was too easy to the point of actually hurting the game. They absolutely have to make this available at the start though and don't do that mirror shit, I hate it when they do that.

Why don't people like Skyward Sword's Hero Mode? I'm actually looking forward to going through that one of these days.

I doubt we'll get Master Quest out of this (i.e. remixed dungeons), though that would be nice. But we'll get harder enemies, more enemies, Link does half damage, etc. I'm ok with that. Cause Wind Waker was way too easy, insultingly easy really.

Don't know why they make Zelda for babies now. Glad Nintendo is acknowledging the hardcore Zelda fans.

Why don't people like Skyward Sword's Hero Mode? I'm actually looking forward to going through that one of these days.
I'm not a fan of it cause all that happens is you take more damage and hearts don't appear on the overworld unless you have a medal. It's not that challenging after going through the game once already knowing all of its tricks. There's no additional bonuses or changes, aside from getting the final skyward strike as soon as you get the goddess sword.

All I want is an updated soundtrack.

IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?!?!?!?

Having witnessed the game when I went to play the Best Buy demos, I can confirm they at least rearranged the Helmaroc King battle theme. Would love to see an orchestrated track or two, though

Anyway, I'd love for a Master Quest of some kind that alters the dungeons. Much as I love their atmosphere/aesthetic design (Tower of the Gods!!!), most of the actual puzzles and whatnot are nothing home to write about.

Shiggy

All I want is an updated soundtrack.

IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?!?!?!?

That would easily raise the game's price to €70 as they certainly don't want to devalue the brand. I'm also happy that they keep the old soundtrack as that's how the developers envisioned the game, an updated soundtrack with a full orchestra might destroy Miyamoto's vision.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm not a fan of it cause all that happens is you take more damage and hearts don't appear on the overworld unless you have a medal. It's not that challenging after going through the game once already knowing all of its tricks. There's no additional bonuses or changes, aside from getting the final skyward strike as soon as you get the goddess sword.

I thought it was fine, it teaches you not to be careless which you can easily do

That would easily raise the game's price to €70 as they certainly don't want to devalue the brand. I'm also happy that they keep the old soundtrack as that's how the developers envisioned the game, an updated soundtrack with a full orchestra might destroy Miyamoto's vision.

A) Dude, how is updatng the soundtrack going to raise the cost of the game so much? It could be done for a pittance of what the game's development has cost thus far.

B) How the hell would upgrading the music "Destroy Miyamoto's Vission"? Look dude no offense, but that is a foolish argument. By that same logic, they should've kept the graphics the same, as well. Updating the graphics is a MUCH bigger change than the music.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
A) Dude, how is updatng the soundtrack going to raise the cost of the game so much? It could be done for a pittance of what the game's development has cost thus far.

B) How the hell would upgrading the music "Destroy Miyamoto's Vission"? Look dude no offense, but that is a foolish argument. By that same logic, they should've kept the graphics the same, as well. Updating the graphics is a MUCH bigger change than the music.

it really depends on what you mean by rework th music, this isnt something they can do with a push of a button, the more they rework, the more effort would need to put into it, and those resources could just go towards other wiiU games

it really depends on what you mean by rework th music, this isnt something they can do with a push of a button, the more they rework, the more effort would need to put into it, and those resources could just go towards other wiiU games

Dude, come on!

That is a weak argument. Those resources could go to other games? We aren't tslking about a tremendous amount of developers needed to do this. This could be implmented fairly simply. Sure, its not "push a button" easily. However, if they kept the music cues similar to the original ones they could replace them with considerable ease.

We are not talking about a arduous process here. I said this in another thread, look at what Zelda REOrchestrated did with Twilight Symphony. They completely remade Twilight Princess's soundtrack in orchestral form with minimal personnel involved and a very small fan budget. If they could do it I am sure Nintendo can!

I'm sorry to sound bitter, but I am kind of let down by the lack of passion for a symphonic score here. IMO this is the best Zelda soundtrack and it deserves to be given a symphonic treatment.

Top Bottom