• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Details on PS4 Audio Processor (ACP)

artist

Banned
Thanks to onQ123

audio1-600x360w1eai.jpg

Here we have some material from Sony’s presentations where you can learn more about audio custom hardware in PS4. This dedicated hardware will manage basic tasks, for game or system, relying on the CPU or GPU for advanced tasks.

Another important point is that this audio block is not programmable by developers directly, they could only access it via OS.

Source - http://www.vgleaks.com/playstation-4-audio-processor-acp/

Alx

I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary. Audio chip, encodes and decodes audio streams, and nothing else.
I suppose any information is still information, still. :)

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nothing to see here, move along :)

Sounds like the XONE has better audio processing HW and that the CPU/GPGPU on PS4 will be needed to match it.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I will post it here again.

PS3 had the best audio in games (and movies), and there was also support for 7.1 PCM.

PS4 will be even better with sound with those new DSP's.

wtzgU.gif

So is this better than what the Xbone has, or the same, or worse, or is there no way to know? And will it make a difference one way or another?

nib95

Banned
wtzgU.gif

So is this better than what the Xbone has, or the same, or worse, or is there no way to know? And will it make a difference one way or another?

Both consoles have audio chips adequate to their needs, enough that the CPU/GPU will be bothered the bare minimum amount (except for more advanced stuff like raycasting for which both consoles will have to use the cpu, or even GPU compute). That's all that needs to be said really.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nothing to see here, move along :)

Sounds like the XONE has better audio processing HW and that the CPU/GPGPU on PS4 will be needed to match it.
I wouldn't worry. I heard there is a whole separate sound chip Sony has kept hidden. I believe it's called a dual SoundPU.

Raydeen

wtzgU.gif

99.999999999999% will probably not notice any difference with the sound pumped through their flatscreen speakers.

There was also some new info revealed about the X1 audio chip in the other thread:

If he's getting it from there, he's obviously not reading what people are posting. The ex-MS dude who actually worked on the Xbone states very clearly the SHAPE is approx 18 GFLOPS.

the fixed function blocks were calculated, per the hotchips presentation, to be 18 GFLOPS equivalent.

He also states that devs have little of this power available to them, as most of it is reserved to power Kinect,

Unfortunately, Devs only have access to a small part of it. Most of it is reserved for Kinect processing. As a bonus though, it means devs don't have to ask the question "do I have the resources to spare for adding Kinect?" like they did in the last console. Kinect is free(*). _Not_ using it is leaving processing power on the table. I hope this encourages them to be more liberal in their kinect integration this time around.

http://beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1787843#post1787843

I think there is a possibility now that both chips will offer the exact same capabilities for normal game audio.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
wtzgU.gif

No way to know in terms of game performance. XBO's audio processor is much more complex but according to one of the engineers on B3D most of it is reserved for Kinect.

wtzgU.gif

The XB1's audio chip has more functionality e.g. it can do things like echo cancellation/noise reduction. But a lot of it's function is specifically there for Kinect voice recognition I believe.

All in all, I don't expect developers to prioritize audio over graphics, physics, AI and so on. Humans are innately visual creatures, and people are far more likely to notice improvements in these other aspects than audio.

the Audio chip wars have begunith... prepare yourself GAF... I predict 31 pages of how superior the Xbox One chip is

Edit: In all honesty I actually want to see the debate... will be as educational as it is entertaining

MaLDo

As long as this chip handles most of the audio processing on the PS4, thus freeing up CPU cycles for games, I'll be happy.

Sorry but "Filtering and effects performed by game code, presumably CPU but GPGPU is also a possibility" talks opposite to that.

Simple translation + comparison anyone?

Also, you guys say MS hardware is suited for Kinect, what about PS Eye (voice commands etc.) in this case?

USC-fan

Banned
the Audio chip wars have begunith... prepare yourself GAF... I predict 31 pages of how superior the Xbox One chip is

Edit: In all honesty I actually want to see the debate... will be as educational as it is entertaining

Won't happen since the bombshell yesterday that xbone chip is used for kinect. Games cannot use most of it.

gruenel

More entertaining than educational though.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just wanted to assert PS4 is on pre-order :)

I posted an observation based on the leaks so far. Posters that have quoted me are more than welcome to challenge this with facts :)

XeNoN89

Banned
Measure the capability of an audio processor by the GFLOPS count is so silly. What will be next? Compare CPUs by GFLOPS?
This only started because some silly xbox fans were trying to say that PS4 would have to dedicate 200GFLOPS for Audio features that the XB1 would apparently be able to provide for free

It would be kind of amusing...

On the one hand one insists there'll be no perceptible difference in graphics/performance due to the relatively large GPU disparity.

While concurrently insisting devs are going to pour time and effort into maximising whatever discrepancy there is between audio processing, so much so that it's so resource intensive that the PS4 suffers in some manner.

Top Bottom