• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Details on PS4 Audio Processor (ACP)

Alx

Simple translation + comparison anyone?

Also, you guys say MS hardware is suited for Kinect, what about PS Eye (voice commands etc.) in this case?

Well the PS4 voice commands have been announced for dashboard and menu navigation, when most of the console resources are free to be used. The main benefit of dedicated hardware like that of the X1 is in scenarios where it should run alongside other demanding tasks, I reckon.

frizby

Give me good stereo support via Dualshock 4 3.5mm audio jack, and I will be happy. :D

Agree.

Reminds me that I need to find a good 3.5mm headset, as I don't think I want to roll with my wired mono USB one or any of my bluetooth earpieces.

Anybody have recommendations? I think the criteria would be short cord, stereo and I think I'd like the kind that goes around the back of your neck rather than over your head. I'd hoped that my iPhone headsets would work, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

freefornow

Gold Member
Don't really follow any leak type news, but why would a document from Sony (proprietary and confidential), detailing specifics say "presumably"??

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wouldn't worry. I heard there is a whole separate sound chip Sony has kept hidden. I believe it's called a dual SoundPU.

Not worried and i'm sure there's plenty to learn about the PS4, i.e., the 2nd processor for low power mode, etc.

Skeff

Basically, a CODEC with less features that a low end Realtek crap. Way better than PS360.

Measure the capability of an audio processor by the GFLOPS count is so silly. What will be next? Compare CPUs by GFLOPS?

You have to cancel all your preorders, even those not gaming related.

I know the ridiculousness of it, but if he's going to do it, he may as well have the right figure of around 15 or 17 or whatever than his 200 figure...

Oppo

Well the PS4 voice commands have been announced for dashboard and menu navigation, when most of the console resources are free to be used. The main benefit of dedicated hardware like that of the X1 is in scenarios where it should run alongside other demanding tasks, I reckon.

Wait what? When did that happen?

Durante

wtzgU.gif

So is this better than what the Xbone has, or the same, or worse, or is there no way to know? And will it make a difference one way or another?
In terms of hardware, it seems less capable than XB1's audio part. The effect on game software is likely to be rather insignificant -- a small difference in CPU load for audio processing at best.

foxbeldin

This slide is not only vague, it's weird. Official Sony documentation is presuming stuff? Like, "Hey, here's our audio chip, we're still not sure how it works"

This slide is not only vague, it's weird. Official Sony documentation is presuming stuff? Like, "Hey, here's our audio chip, we're still not sure how it works"

The chip doesn't do filtering and effects, you have to use the APU, it's up to developers whether they use gpgpu code or cpu code, but cpu is more straight forward for now.

it'll be decompression and mixing right? not just literally decompression?

Good question, I'd asssume so but it doesn't say. If there's no filtering options on the chip, then possibly not as it would be less functional than what you'd expect for an audio output.

Sorry but "Filtering and effects performed by game code, presumably CPU but GPGPU is also a possibility" talks opposite to that.

Encoding and decoding takes the biggest hit out of regular CPU cycles. But the addition of basic high/lowpass filters in the Shape will save a few extra resources, giving it an advantage.

Ahh, so you say in scenarios where voice commands are used, no dedicated hardware is needed because the rest of the system can easily handle this itself?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Playing mp3's or audio files and shit is so trivial. I don't get why anyone on earth cares about the audio chips in the new consoles. Is computing power suddenly going to allow for audio that just wasn't possible on the last consoles? I doubt it.

I'm more interested in ADC and DAC quality, but no one seems to care about that.

EDIT, forget I said this...

Sorry but "Filtering and effects performed by game code, presumably CPU but GPGPU is also a possibility" talks opposite to that.

When are real-time filtering and effects really used? If they're filtering the bandwidth of voice communication with EQ, that's an incredibly, incredibly low cpu hit.

Alx

Wait what? When did that happen?

Sometimes during the TGS I think. I didn't hear it first-hand, but there was a topic about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681053

jbjJSn9rLJkdSd.JPG

Ahh, so you say in scenarios where voice commands are used, no dedicated hardware is needed because the rest of the system can easily handle this itself?

Yep. Most sound processing can be done through software, even if it may be less efficient than dedicated hardware (you can perfectly have voice recognition on any PC for example, without adding any additional hardware). If you're in the dashboard and your CPU is twiddling its thumbs, it shouldn't be a problem to make it process voice commands. While in the middle of a game, your CPU has better things to do, so that's where a dedicated chip may come useful.
*edit : in the case of the Xbone, another benefit of not using the main CPU would be the "Xbox on" scenario : I suppose it's better to have a dedicated chip to handle voice commands and get out of idle state while the bigger components are "sleeping".

Bundy

Banned
Both consoles have audio chips adequate to their needs, enough that the CPU/GPU will be bothered the bare minimum amount (except for more advanced stuff like raycasting for which both consoles will have to use the cpu, or even GPU compute). That's all that needs to be said really.

/end

Shambles

The story here is "Audio chips: The problem solved 10 years ago"

Playing mp3's or audio files and shit is so trivial. I don't get why anyone on earth cares about the audio chips in the new consoles. Is computing power suddenly going to allow for audio that just wasn't possible on the last consoles? I doubt it.

I'm more interested in ADC and DAC quality, but no one seems to care about that.

Anyone who would be at the point of caring about a DAC wouldn't be using a console DAC in the first place.

USC-fan

Banned

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

That kind of depends on whether a game would otherwise need more power for audio codec vs dsp.

Looking at Killzone 2's breakdown of SPU usage, they used on aggregate about 10% of one SPU for audio (and bear in mind, they could have used a lot more if they wanted/needed). Over half that time seems to have related to MP3 decoding, the rest for effects. In a case like that, if you had a chip to offload mp3 decoding to, that chip would be handling 'most' of the burden.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

When are real-time filtering and effects really used? If they're filtering the bandwidth of voice communication with EQ, that's an incredibly, incredibly low cpu hit.

they don't have DACs, they only have digital outputs now (HDMI/optical)

gruenel

Agreed. The slide is from 2012 though, maybe the audio chip just wasn't finished back then and they didn't know the exact amount of streams supported etc.

Edit: Beaten. Twice.

Slide has a 2012 date....specs were likely in flux...they probably know bye now...one would hope :)

Well, it says 2012 at the bottom. Things can be more specific by now?`

EDIT: Too slow.

Could very well be possible.

I do think it's all odd. It might be because of Cerny, but sony has always had better sound options in their devices. Even the Cell, being used last gen, allowed them to have 7.1 LPCM in any game that supported it.

That kind of depends on whether a game would otherwise need more power for audio codec vs dsp.

Looking at Killzone 2's breakdown of SPU usage, they used on aggregate about 10% of one SPU for audio (and bear in mind, they could have used a lot more if they wanted/needed). Over half that time seems to have related to MP3 decoding, the rest for effects. In a case like that, if you had a chip to offload mp3 decoding to, that chip would be handling 'most' of the burden.

10% of a SPU for sound processing is like 100% of a Jaguar VMX fpu unit. Cell could manage, what? 50 streams of video with audio at once?.

velociraptor

10% of a SPU for sound processing is like 100% of a Jaguar VMX fpu unit. Cell could manage, what? 50 streams of video with audio at once?.
Kaz on GT6:
- Sound processing takes lots of RAM from PS3 (for those who don't know, PS3 does not have separate sound-processor, it is the Cell that does almost everything, from graphics to audio and it is pretty much choked when doing 7.1 surround for instance, op.a.) so sounds have to be compressed

KidBeta

10% of a SPU is more like 2.56GFLOPS. likely something that any CPU in the past 5/6/7 years could emulate.

Measure the capability of an audio processor by the GFLOPS count is so silly. What will be next? Compare CPUs by GFLOPS?

Exactly! Then when people try to explain in laymans terms what it really represents by showing how much GFLOPS it would take to emulate it using CUs, people flip saying no way Shape can be a 200GFLOPS processor when it was only an example of utilization lol.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
10% of a SPU for sound processing is like 100% of a Jaguar VMX fpu unit. Cell could manage, what?

?

I'd have reckoned maybe more like 20-30%

But I've no benchmarks here. Do you?

The point though, wasn't how a Jaguar compares to a SPU. The point was the even 'just' offloading audio decoding might spare the CPU of a lot or even most audio processing, depending on the game.

Yep. Most sound processing can be done through software, even if it may be less efficient than dedicated hardware (you can perfectly have voice recognition on any PC for example, without adding any additional hardware). If you're in the dashboard and your CPU is twiddling its thumbs, it shouldn't be a problem to make it process voice commands. While in the middle of a game, your CPU has better things to do, so that's where a dedicated chip may come useful.
*edit : in the case of the Xbone, another benefit of not using the main CPU would be the "Xbox on" scenario : I suppose it's better to have a dedicated chip to handle voice commands and get out of idle state while the bigger components are "sleeping".

Well, unless there is specialized HW in the camera for voice recognition.

Top Bottom