• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Details on PS4 Audio Processor (ACP)

Mondriaan

I think that it means the Xbone might be better at powering up from a low power state, if you want to use a voice command to wake it up. Might be a big deal for some people, I guess.

Chittagong

Gold Member
In real life performance, 199 MP3 streams of Cerny talking, with 1 MP3 stream entirely dedicated to water effects.

Well, better than I expected. Can't really complain but I guess it's nothing way out of the ordinary either. I'm sure whatever performance hit it will put on games(if any) is so minimum it's not even worth mentioning(I hope).

it just means that CPU resources are not wasted.

where as the PS3, where the cell processor was used to decode audio, here with the PS4, it has its own dedicated audio processor. it wont have to use the APU to decode audio. I guess thats what that means. so developers have more room to make their games.

Nothing to see here, move along :)

Sounds like the XONE has better audio processing HW and that the CPU/GPGPU on PS4 will be needed to match it.

317.gif

Just t be clear here, we are fighting about sound chips that will almost never be used to the max and when they do only the most descerning audiophile will be able to tell the difference? Or is it something else?

Basically. The actual performance gains from "high-performance" sound cards are so minimal that there really isn't even a market for them anymore, they're mostly sold on the basis of offering specific optimizations for particular applications (Creative Fatal1ty 3D game audio well, but is pretty garbage for music, for example), and - hilariously - the number of front-facing I/O ports.

There's a funny quote earlier in the thread about how the SHAPE will blow any PC sound card on the market completely out of the water. I don't doubt it for a second - there hasn't been any particular reason to actually improve on PC sound cards for quite some time. Modern on-board sound easily handles anything games throw at it with no appreciable loss in CPU performance.

Though, there will always be the audiophile market.

wizzbang

Banned
Honestly, I doubt if anyone will either notice or care about the difference. And I'm not being salty, I swear.

Cmon give MS credit where it's due, good competition is important. I'm fucking 100% positive as a Sony fan, that regardless - one or two of MS's features will still be cooler. It's pretty much impossible for one side to get everything right.

MS's focus on that voice stuff is pretty smart - good on them. (FWIW doesn't impact me, I don't play online anymore)

Basically. The actual performance gains from "high-performance" sound cards are so minimal that there really isn't even a market for them anymore, they're mostly sold on the basis of offering specific optimizations for particular applications (Creative Fatal1ty 3D game audio well, but is pretty garbage for music, for example), and - hilariously - the number of front-facing I/O ports.

There's a funny quote earlier in the thread about how the SHAPE will blow any PC sound card on the market completely out of the water. I don't doubt it for a second - there hasn't been any particular reason to actually improve on PC sound cards for quite some time. Modern on-board sound easily handles anything games throw at it with no appreciable loss in CPU performance.

Though, there will always be the audiophile market.

People buy dedicated sound cards for quality DACs, not for game performance.

Both consoles have audio chips adequate to their needs, enough that the CPU/GPU will be bothered the bare minimum amount (except for more advanced stuff like raycasting for which both consoles will have to use the cpu, or even GPU compute). That's all that needs to be said really.

Is this really the case for the Xbone? There are two DSPs in the audio blocks, and Ms said on hotchips that they have coherent access to the DDR3... If those DSPs are not completely saturated by their own tasks, something like this sounds like it should be doable.

Top Bottom