• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Returned - a French supernatural drama - Thursdays on the Sundance Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
W38rXtZ.jpg

The Returned starts up tonight on the Sundance Channel. This is the highly regarded French series Les Revenants and it will be subtitled when airing here. It sounds like it's more of a supernatural drama than a horror series. I wasn't planning on making a thread for this, but the reviews have been fantastic, and it's looking like a must-watch this Fall. Tune in tonight for the premiere at 9pm. Here's the trailer if you want to check it out.

Regarding spoilers - this has already aired in much of Europe so many of you have seen it, but please use spoiler tags if you want to discuss anything that hasn't aired yet in the US market. Thanks.

Sundance: About THE RETURNED said:
In an idyllic French mountain town, a seemingly random collection of people find themselves in a state of confusion as they attempt to return to their homes. What they do not yet know is that they have been dead for several years, and no one is expecting them back. As they struggle to reintegrate with their families and past lovers, buried secrets emerge and new mysteries develop as they grapple with a miraculous and sinister new reality. But it seems they are not the only ones to have returned from the dead. Their arrival coincides with a series of gruesome murders which bear a chilling resemblance to the work of a serial killer from the past.

Links:

Pictures:

QaZa42d.png

gCcmx5C.jpg

UE6ItMS.jpg

IRnX6RW.jpg

7HIY6HT.jpg

Reviews:

Tim Goodman @ THR said:
Defying expectations while rewiring what a “zombie” series can be, The Returned is one of the most intriguing, utterly original offerings of the year.
Red Eye Chicago said:
The Returned is far and away the most thoughtful and thought-provoking series I've watched this year.
James Poniewozik said:
A haunting, creepy, and beautiful French series
NY Post said:
A stunning French import.
Onion A|V Club said:
The mood develops exquisitely from the first frame.
SF Chronicle said:
There is more than enough to captivate us, and perhaps disturb us as well, in these eight stunningly provocative episodes.
Sepinwall said:
The deeper you go, the more powerful The Returned gets.
Denver Post said:
The creepiness is slow and almost elegant. The vision is grand, epic even. The music, by Mogwai, is wonderfully absorbing. The whole creation, by Fabrice Gobert, is first-rate supernatural drama more than a mere horror show.
Wall Street Journal said:
A superbly stylish and scary French drama with no equal in its genre
The Independent said:
One of the greatest, creepiest most compelling shows of 2013.
The Guardian said:
The best drama of the year.
London Evening Standard said:
Gorgeously subtle and beautifully shot.

Anth1888

This finished last summer in the UK and it's an excellent series, well worth a watch.

Just to warn you; don't Google anything or look on The Returned Wikipedia page - filled with spoilers!

First episodes are really really good and will hold you on a tight grip.

What follows is not actually a spoiler, more of a general warning/sentiment on the series.
I would love to plug the hell off of a French production for once... Alas expect MAJOR disappointment (and reliance on gratuitous nudity and idiot factors to cover up for the lack of plot development). I would really advise anyone interested to wait and see where the second season is going (sometimes in 2014) and if it's going anywhere at all because as it is it reaches next-gen Lost levels of rage inducing frustration. Or just go for it and enjoy the amazing first half of the season what do I know :p

Music is top notch but repetitive.

What follows is not actually a spoiler, more of a general warning/sentiment on the series.
I would love to plug the hell off of a French production for once... Alas expect MAJOR disappointment (and reliance on gratuitous nudity and idiot factors to cover up for the lack of plot development). I would really advise anyone interested to wait and see where the second season is going (sometimes in 2014) and if it's going anywhere at all because as it is it reaches next-gen Lost levels of rage inducing frustration. Or just go for it and enjoy the amazing first half of the season what do I know :p

Sounds like every " original " french tv show

jacobs34

Tried reading the book that this is based on earlier in the year and it was one of two books that I couldn't finish (out of the 45 books I've read so far this year), I wonder if the show will be more captivating than the book.

Sickbean

Completely agree. Worth watching just for the Mogwai though :)

tmarques

Loved the first season and I'm getting kind of impatient (why's season 2 taking so long anyway?). How's the movie? Should I avoid it because of potential spoilers?

ehh, this almost kill my interested in watching this.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm going to suspend my absolute hatred for subtitles for this one.

But, with this, Resurrection, and a few other shows in the pipeline, I'm a bit worried that they'll all be crossing similar territory. We'll see.

Khaz

Loved the first season and I'm getting kind of impatient (why's season 2 taking so long anyway?). How's the movie? Should I avoid it because of potential spoilers?

French writers are slow. Don't hold your breath for the next season of Spiral either.

Sounds like every " original " french tv show

It really is much better than any recent French series I've seen. Whether the writers didn't know where they were going or did but couldn't handle the huge hype and decided to artificially prolong the success I don't know. Either way, it backfired big time.

ehh, this almost kill my interested in watching this.

Well it's a bit of a catch-22 since the first episodes WILL make you crave for more. And after all, it's rather short (8x40minutes or so)... Now that I lowered your expectations you can safely go ; )

Time Warner Cable only gives me an SD feed for Sundance Channel, so that's going to be painful going without HD. But I've heard it's so good, I'll deal with it.

kingocfs

Caught this just in time after coming home from class and I loved it. I thought the pacing and music were great, it's a really cool idea for a story. I've heard the quality doesn't quite hold up but I'll stick with it.

That
murder scene in the tunnel
was fucking rough.

addik

Watched three episodes so far, and I'm really liking it. I love the quiet atmosphere and the cinematography so far. I like Mogwai's work but it's starting to become repetitive.

That's kinda disappointing then. I wonder if the atmosphere holds up as well.

Watched three episodes so far, and I'm really liking it. I love the quiet atmosphere and the cinematography so far. I like Mogwai's work but it's starting to become repetitive.

That's kinda disappointing then. I wonder if the atmosphere holds up as well.

Did you see it through itunes?

Simplet

I'm french but I actually started watching this because of this thread. 4 episodes in and I'm liking this a lot.

I'm a bit surprised by BaronLundi's comment, I don't really see how they could screw the story up with only 4 episodes left to go (for me), especially considering the rythm of the show.

I'm french but I actually started watching this because of this thread. 4 episodes in and I'm liking this a lot.

I'm a bit surprised by BaronLundi's comment, I don't really see how they could screw the story up with only 4 episodes left to go (for me), especially considering the rythm of the show.

Reviens quand tu as vu le dernier épisode pour en parler si tu veux :p

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great watch but don't expect closure is all I'm saying.

Simplet

Reviens quand tu as vu le dernier épisode pour en parler si tu veux :p

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great watch but don't expect closure is all I'm saying.

I'm actually hoping not to get any closure. This is fantastic, the moment you get some kind of closure is the moment the thing is done. If it's just the last episode that's too out there, then I'm not too worried, gotta keep the spectators on their toes for next season. I don't think the show has more than two, maybe three seasons in it anyway, if only because of the children. That's If they're smart of course.

I hate them. Haaaaaaate. Draws my focus off the whole screen to the bottom 3rd. I feel a huge disconnect between the character speaking and the text. Dunno, they suck.

So your choice is between not watching anything in a langage you don't understand or suffering through dubbed versions where you're completely missing on the actual performance of the actual actors ?

I'm sorry. That's a real shitty phobia to have for someone who enjoys motion pictures.

Linius

I hate them. Haaaaaaate. Draws my focus off the whole screen to the bottom 3rd. I feel a huge disconnect between the character speaking and the text. Dunno, they suck.

Never had that experience. You miss out on so much good stuff man :(

Think I'm gonna give this show a shot some time. The plot sounds interesting.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Recorded this, still haven't watched it. Too much time at the office, blargh.

Time Warner Cable only gives me an SD feed for Sundance Channel, so that's going to be painful going without HD. But I've heard it's so good, I'll deal with it.

Does Sundance appear in HD anywhere? I know I don't get it with Uverse.

So your choice is between not watching anything in a langage you don't understand or suffering through dubbed versions where you're completely missing on the actual performance of the actual actors ?

I'm sorry. That's a real shitty phobia to have for someone who enjoys motion pictures.

Let's slow down. He hasn't yet said he likes dubs...

ivysaur12

Banned

I'll slog through if I need to. I just really don't like them and I feel like it's enough of a detraction on my experience that I avoid them if I can. If something is necessary viewing, I'll watch the subtitles and just deal. But if I can avoid it, I will.

I won't really watch a dub, though. At least not of something live-action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom