• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One APU - Die Photo - Courtesy of Chipworks

artist

Banned
YsxT4fN.jpg

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/blog/inside-the-xbox-one/

Compared to the PS4 (left), you can see the where the resources were dedicated;

ps4_xb1_die-vergleich1dadx.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can I take a system with the die size of the Xbox but dedicated to GPU - looks like you could squeeze 28CUs on there, then the GDDR5 of the PS4?

onQ123

I was wondering why no one had made this thread yet, also I haven't seen a thread about the Kinect tear down.

Edit:

Extra SRAM between the CPU is new

coldfoot

Banned
It's interesting that the SRAM is divided 3 ways like that, that doesn't make sense.
The small block SRAM is for the secret sauce dGPU?
LOL

Raist

Banned
Has anyone spotted the dGPU yet?

edit: why is there a small pool of SRAM on its own between the CPU cores?

tipoo

Banned
Ach, again they got wishy washy between compute unit and core/shader. It has hundreds of shaders, housed in 12 compute units.

tipoo

Banned
Interesting that it has an eSRAM pool by the CPU cores, seperate from the ones by the GPU cores.

It's the CPU cache, no?

It appears seperate from the usual L2 cache placement on CPUs, but with it being eSRAM who knows. Maybe there is no regular L2 and it's just eSRAM, like the Wii U CPU has no traditional cache but eDRAM.

Actually see the criscross stuff on the PS4 and One die shots by the CPU cores? I think that's the L2 cache, so the eSRAM cache by the CPUs is something else.

tipoo

Banned
No, CPU caches are inside the Jaguar outlines. That is something else, looks to be 2-3MB extra SRAM there for something. Maybe SHAPE but that's an excessive amount of SRAM for an audio chip.

The Wii U GPU also has some random extra blobs of embedded memory thrown in there. Maybe they both just use it as a quick access scratchpad.

With it being so far from the GPU circuitry in the One, I think it's just for CPU.

Waaghals

Wait, didn't the PS4 have 18 graphic cores? The picture says 20.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty sure it was rumored to have 18 cores.

Microsoft should have put the esram on a separate die like they did with the 360.

eats up a lot of room in the apu.

also, they didn't high light the specialized processors. Isn't the audio processor and the move engines and stuff also in the apu?

Begaria

It's 20. Two are disabled for failsafe reasons, and 18 are usable.

In regards to this:
" Wait, didn't the PS4 have 18 graphic cores? The picture says 20.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty sure it was rumored to have 18 cores."

tipoo

Banned

18 compute units functioning, 2 disabled to improve yields (if two go bad, they can disable those ones instead of toss the chip)

artist

Banned
2 disabled for redundancy.

Xbone (14 CUs, 2 disabled, 12 usable)
PS4 (20 CUs, 2 disabled, 18 usable)

Begaria

misterX's herd is in full on meltdown mode trying to figure out how to explain these pictures...

I've been eagerly awaiting that comment section in his latest post to update to show what kind of asinine discussion they come with for this.

Waaghals

18 compute units functioning, 2 disabled to improve yields (if two go bad, they can disable those ones instead of toss the chip)

Yeah, I assumed that was the reason, it is frequently done in the PC space and Sony did it with the cell as well. I just never heard anybody saying the 2 cores were disabled in this case. It makes sense though.

Metfanant

I've been eagerly awaiting that comment section in his latest post to update to show what kind of asinine discussion they come with for this.

let me give you the run down...

- The tech is so new and powerful Chipworks doenst understand what they are looking at
- They didn't include the side shot x-rays because there is hidden stuff UNDER the hardware you can see
- They didn't x-ray the southbridge because the secret sauce is there
- There are extra "rectangles" on the CPU's and that proves the Xbone CPU is more powerful
- The 14 Xbone CU's are "denser" and therefore "beefier" than the PS4's so 12 "dense" and "beefy" is better!

it's not, they said at the hotchips event I believe that there was an additional 15mb of esram for the cpu.
no, what they said was there there was a total of 47MB of onboard storage...they didn't say anything about what it was or what kind...

Top Bottom