• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happens after GFWL goes away?

ShadyJ

So ive got some games on my Steam account which i haven't even activated yet.

Games being:

GTAIV
Episodes from Liberty City
RE5
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 2 OTR
Fable III
Iron Brigade

Should i activate these now at least before the service goes down? who knows if they will be patched.

If they don't get patched can we still play them with an offline/local account?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Some games have been patched by the developers to take GFWL out. But a lot of others are probably just going to be dead once the service shuts down. You can play the games with an offline account, but if you don't already have one on your computer by the time the service shuts down, I'm pretty sure you're just screwed. Which means, everyone who builds a new computer or reinstalls windows or just doesn't have GFWL installed by that deadline can't play the games.

Poor Bulletstorm :(

FuKuy

What happens after GFWL goes away?

We don't trust Microsoft anymore.
And we kept skeptical for other similar services that need still need to prove reliable (yes I'm looking to you Origin and Uplay)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As per the GFWL FAQ, games with a single-player component that support offline profiles will continue to be playable albeit without DLC or achievements:

Do users have to create a LIVE account to play a Games for Windows — LIVE game?

No, you can play offline without ever connecting to Microsoft or creating a LIVE profile. Games for Windows — LIVE supports the creation and use of an offline “local” profile that exists only on the user’s computer. This account will let you play the single player portions of the game, but the user will not be able to play multiplayer, gain achievements, or take advantage of the other LIVE features. However, Microsoft strongly recommends that users who wish to play offline create an online account and then use that account to log in “offline.” This makes the end-user experience better, since it ensures that saved games, purchasing /downloading add-on content for the game, and keeping the account across Xbox LIVE, Games for Windows – LIVE, and Xbox LIVE on Windows Phone remains consistent.

Do you need to activate to play when using an offline account?

No, if you create and sign in with an offline account, the Games for Windows — LIVE service is not contacted and therefore no activation or Internet connection is required.

What's the disadvantage of using an offline account?

You will not be able to play multiplayer, purchase or use game add-on content, and your saved games may not work from one computer to the next. Game add-ons, multiplayer, leaderboards, and other online features of a game require an online account. If you decide to later switch to an online account, please be aware that your game saves probably won’t transfer as they are typically tied to the active profile.

If you wish to remain disconnected while playing games, we recommend you create an online account but simply play the game with that profile without connecting so no Internet traffic is used.

(Presumably, if you've set an installed GFWL game to remember your log-in info, you'll be able to use your online profile offline even after the service is sunsetted, but obviously once the game is uninstalled you'll be forced to use an offline profile if you install it again at a later date.)

Everything you've listed in the OP falls under this umbrella. As for the exceptions, the obvious answers are multiplayer-only games such as Shadowrun, and, for some idiotic reason, Bulletstorm. There may be others but as they're not on Steam I've not looked into it.

ShadyJ

Some games have been patched by the developers to take GFWL out. But a lot of others are probably just going to be dead once the service shuts down.

Poor Bulletstorm :(

But like i said, will the singleplayer still be intact if we play on an offline account?

EDIT - Excellent post JaseC

Cheers mate.

So will this absolutely kill games that aren't updated? I have a handful of games I still want to play (like Bulletstorm) and it would really suck if they're permanently crippled due to this.

ShadyJ

I think im going to install all the ones i listed to be safe before it goes away..

Id expect those to patched but who knows..

JaseC

I think im going to install all the ones i listed to be safe before it goes away..

Id expect those to patched but who knows..

I'd say the only games that are all but assuredly not going to receive GFWL-removing patches are:

- AFL Live (licence expired)
- Hour of Victory (WB doesn't seem to be interested in doing anything with any of its Midway IP acquisitions that aren't Mortal Kombat)
- Quantum of Solace (licence expired)
- Section 8 and Section 8: Prejudice (TimeGate Studios is dead)
- Tron: Evolution (published by Disney Interactive)
- Where's Waldo? (licence expired)

Everything else that hasn't already been patched or is set to receive a patch is up in the air. I would assume that a licence expiring doesn't preclude post-release support from a legal perspective but I don't see TruBlu, Activision and Ubisoft investing time and money into patches now when they lack the right to distribute the games and therefore earn a return on that investment.

This PC Gaming Wiki list gives you an idea of what games will be affected and how. You should probably assume all GFWL titles are screwed unless GFWL is being/has been removed.

For Dead Rising 2 at least, I got a release date check and a CD key prompt when I started it this weekend, so definitely activate that game for sure. Very likely OTR as well. Both are marked as SSA and ZDPP, and those titles will likely be extra screwed.

Herne

Are you still playing those games online? Because that's the only reason GFWL should remain running. Otherwise, people will undoubtedly come up with their own patches that allow the games to run without the service.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
- Tron: Evolution (published by Disney Interactive)

The final nail in the Tron revival coffin. :(

Are you still playing those games online? Because that's the only reason GFWL should remain running. Otherwise, people will undoubtedly come up with their own patches that allow the games to run without the service.

Virusy, virusy patchez, yes.

I keep hearing about games getting Steamworks patches, but what if my GFWL game never had anything to do with Steam in the first place?

I have a GFWL copy of Street Fighter IV AE that I got from Evo. Am I SOL when GFWL goes down, or will I somehow be able to convert it to a Steam license? Will I be able to just reuse my GFWL key on Steam?

Qwell

I'm guessing I should finish up Gears of War PC before too long, wonder if I could find anyone online to play co-op with or if it is dead dead dead already.

Kyou

tumblr_lt9ccrI4pA1qa6duho1_r1_500.gif

alstein

I keep hearing about games getting Steamworks patches, but what if my GFWL game never had anything to do with Steam in the first place?

I have a GFWL copy of Street Fighter IV AE that I got from Evo. Am I SOL when GFWL goes down, or will I somehow be able to convert it to a Steam license? Will I be able to just reuse my GFWL key on Steam?

Worst case- you pay $15 and upgrade to USF4, which will be Steamworks not GFWL.

Berordn

Depending on how the publisher handles it, they might make the keys redeemable on Steam. It's what happened with Bioshock 2 (and a couple others, I think).

Hmmm, the other day I tried to play the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection and GFWL wouldn't work, was like it didn't realize my computer had Internet, everything else worked just fine. If I don't get it to work by the time GFWL dies, will I lose it completely or is any indication that WB will patch it?

:/

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft has already demonstrated, several years ago that your digital purchases are valid only until they decide to pull the plug on their service.

Mhmm. Over the last generation I spend nearly 400$ on digital content on their platform. You know what I have to show for it?
NOTHING.
I have a 120gig proprietary harddrive with an ancient hotmail account linked to it that may or may not even be able to log into their service to validate my licenses. I wouldn't know because my system shuts off after 5 minutes every time I turn it on.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Doesn't The Club for Windows also use GFWL? I have seen talk on its Steam forums that it also has a patch that won't install correctly.

NoPiece

Why did you delete content you paid for?

I bought Microsoft Flight in 2012 during a Steam sale, installed, played for a while, and deleted to make room for other things. That is one reason one might delete content they paid for. Now I'm trying to get it running again before the service dies, and while I can get the main game to install, the bulk of the content was DLC, and that isn't working. What happened when people get a new PC next year and can't redownload their content?

It is a pain, and a black eye for digital distribution, which is ironic as MS was trying to go so hard with it on Xbox One right as they were doing the worst possible thing for trust on the PC side.

JaseC

Apparently, there's a list of games that Steam will accept CD keys for if you didn't buy the game on Steam.

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition is not on that list. D:

It isn't exhaustive (The Rockin' Dead isn't listed, for example), but you're right insofar that SSF4AE keys aren't Steam-redeemable unless otherwise noted.

I bought Microsoft Flight in 2012 during a Steam sale, installed, played for a while, and deleted to make room for other things. That is one reason one might delete content they paid for. Now I'm trying to get it running again before the service dies, and while I can get the main game to install, the bulk of the content was DLC, and that isn't working. What happened when people get a new PC next year and can't redownload their content?

It is a pain, and a black eye for digital distribution, which is ironic as MS was trying to go so hard with it on Xbox One right as they were doing the worst possible thing for trust on the PC side.

Microsoft recently removed the F2P flag from MS Flight and consequently stuffed it up. I assume the game is going to return as a paid Steamworks title, inclusive of all DLC, at some point between now and GFWL's closure.

Grief.exe

All of your games will still work, just online multiplayer, achievements, and friends will be disabled.

You will have to play the GFWL games offline, worst case scenario you will have to turn to a crack to get everything working correctly.

It looks like we will see many of the games get GFWL removal patches in the coming months.

Delicious irony considering they were trying to push an always-online environment just a few short months ago.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Why did you delete content you paid for?

Because you still own the right to it whether or not you have the actual data in your physical possession. As part of the purchase transaction you reasonably expect to have access to the data you have purchased the right to use.

vg260

Dunno, but you can download the GFWL game patch files directly off Microsoft's server. I'd suggest locating the update patch links online and saving a local copy. (I don't have the SFIV links atm but can dig them up later if people want them). I used to do this because the online update kept crashing on me.

I need to get around to downloading Viva Pinata. I think it was the only game I bought on GFWL (it was like $1 or something) but I never actually finished downloading it, haha.

Grief.exe

My body is ready for Viva Pinata, Gears of War, and the Halo Trilogy from Microsoft.

I really have no desire to play Dead Rising 2 again, but would actually buy RE5 if they removed GFWL.

EGM1966

Being honest:

a) the world will automatically become a slightly better place

b) a number of people will have something new to beat MS with when a bunch of games people paid for die on them

c) some gamers will become unwilling victims and find themselves with unplayable games - which sucks of course

That's assuming titles that currently look like they won't be patched really aren't patched.

Hopefully all recent and popular titles will have GFWL patched out and replaced with Steam or whatever so we're just left with point a) above.

I'm really concerned about Capcom's silence regarding RE5 and DR2.

Joystiq recently published a pretty good article that summarizes what the current status of GFWL is for various games and publishers. They've contacted pubs about their GFWL games and asked them what they are planning to do about them.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/games-for-windows-live-is-dying-we-check-the-life-support-of-ga/

Capcom games aren't looking so good. No plans to update their GFWL games at this point. I need to finish Resi 5 soon...

Capcom
Dark Void (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2 (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (No plans.)
Lost Planet 2 (No plans.)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (No plans.)
Resident Evil 5 (No plans.)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (No plans.)
Street Fighter X Tekken (No plans.)
Super Street Fighter IV / Arcade Edition (Steamworks)

DedValve

Banned
We don't trust Microsoft anymore.
And we kept skeptical for other similar services that need still need to prove reliable (yes I'm looking to you Origin and Uplay)

I think Origin might be in for the long haul. Uplay I don't trust.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Joystiq recently published a pretty good article that summarizes what the current status of GFWL is for various games and publishers. They've contacted pubs about their GFWL games and asked them what they are planning to do about them.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/games-for-windows-live-is-dying-we-check-the-life-support-of-ga/

Capcom games aren't looking so good. No plans to update their GFWL games at this point. I need to finish Resi 5 soon...

Capcom
Dark Void (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2 (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (No plans.)
Lost Planet 2 (No plans.)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (No plans.)
Resident Evil 5 (No plans.)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (No plans.)
Street Fighter X Tekken (No plans.)
Super Street Fighter IV / Arcade Edition (Steamworks)

Such garbage. Capcom couldn't bother to take a single pro-consumer initiative?

You should be able to still play them online if you've activated the copies, I would like to think.

Really? Because everything seems to point to online functionality saying bye-bye once GFWL disappears without replacement options in place.

Dunno, but you can download the GFWL game patch files directly off Microsoft's server. I'd suggest locating the update patch links online and saving a local copy. (I don't have the SFIV links atm but can dig them up later if people want them). I used to do this because the online update kept crashing on me.

What I'd like to know is what this means when I'm ready to upgrade to Ultra Street Fighter IV. The upgrade will be sold on Steam, but will it be possible to somehow apply it to the GFWL Marketplace version of AE?

Top Bottom