• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happens after GFWL goes away?

Was going to post the same thing. Weren't the Dawn of War II games GFWL as well? Or did they patch that out with retribution?

Dawn of War II: Retribution was a standalone expansion that came with Steamworks. The original Dawn of War II game (and the expansion Chaos Rising, which wasn't standalone) are still GFWL. No idea what's happening with that game.

Aside from some non-working games, I will be happy to see the end of GFWL. I'm hoping there's a shit-storm of sorts, from the enthusiast gaming media, regarding Microsoft's abandonment of its digital initiative. This would hopefully help to inform consumers regarding future digital purchases from them.

It would be super nice if Microsoft actually had a team, working with the affected publishers, to help remove GFWL from their titles. Not bloody likely, I think.

I think Origin might be in for the long haul. Uplay I don't trust.

As someone who remembers when official EA game patches were only available on Fileplanet because they didnt want to spring for their own bandwidth to support their products, and based on the now annual game server shutdown list, I'm pretty sure EA will leave their Origin users swinging in the wind at the first hurdle or corporate reorientation.

chupon

Other than the oft commented, now removed blog post on the AoE website there has still been no official word that the GFWL service is shutting down on July 1.

I'm sure it's coming eventually, but for now I'm not even sure July 1 is going to mean anything except the shut down date for AoE specifically.

PS: Is there any way to Launch Dark Souls outside of Steam? I was trying to keep all my GFWL unpatched to earn achievements so I was creating links to the EXE and launching them outside of Steam, but I can't seem to do with Dark Souls. Is there no way to actually run this on it's own and only have it connect to GFWL and not Steam? I don't own the retail copy, only the digital PTDE.

Grampasso

I need photoshop skills I don't have to do this but I hope someone else will bite:

tumblr_m8vxs4j2gX1re2olto1_1280.png

GFWL
BUGS IN HIS OS, ALL'S RIGHT WITH THE GAMES

stuminus3

I have absolute faith that one way or another some clever people will find ways to get your games working even if Microsoft etc don't bother. Such is the magic of PC gaming. This won't be like OG Xbox DLC.

vg260

What I'd like to know is what this means when I'm ready to upgrade to Ultra Street Fighter IV. The upgrade will be sold on Steam, but will it be possible to somehow apply it to the GFWL Marketplace version of AE?

No clue. Perhaps they'll let you enter your CD-key to register AE on Steam like WB did with the Batman games.

Javaman

Because you still own the right to it whether or not you have the actual data in your physical possession. As part of the purchase transaction you reasonably expect to have access to the data you have purchased the right to use.

And the irony is that the more you've purchased, the more likely you are to lose it since you've got more space shuffling to do.

Sentenza

What I'd like to know is what this means when I'm ready to upgrade to Ultra Street Fighter IV. The upgrade will be sold on Steam, but will it be possible to somehow apply it to the GFWL Marketplace version of AE?

The two previous versions of SF IV available on PC (vanilla and AE) are supposed to update to Steamworks as well, at least according to what Joystick.com wrote few days ago. Which, if confirmed, means each GFWL serial key will be converted in a Steam key.

On a side note, if developers/publishers would be less shy about that ,it would only benefits them.
I already have SF IV and I didn't buy AE during these last Steam Winter Sales just because I couldn't be sure the game wasn't going to stop working in few months.

ArjanN

The two previous versions of SF IV available on PC (vanilla and AE) are supposed to update to Steamworks as well, at least according to what Joystick.com wrote few days ago. Which, if confirmed, means each GFWL serial key will be converted in a Steam key.

IMO that sounds highly unlikely. Why would they want to patch 3 different versions of the game?

I'm pretty sure Ultra SF4 is essentially a new game that uses Steamworks, and everyone that owns SF4 or AE will just get a discount.

Ultra will make AE and Vanilla obsolete anyway. (Vanilla is already obsolete really) People who still want to play SF4 will want to play Ultra, as it has the most content, is the most updated version, and it's where all the player-base will be.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Such garbage. Capcom couldn't bother to take a single pro-consumer initiative?

I wouldn't read too much into the "no plans" statement; it's a standard PR non-answer.

PS: Is there any way to Launch Dark Souls outside of Steam? I was trying to keep all my GFWL unpatched to earn achievements so I was creating links to the EXE and launching them outside of Steam, but I can't seem to do with Dark Souls. Is there no way to actually run this on it's own and only have it connect to GFWL and not Steam? I don't own the retail copy, only the digital PTDE.

No. Well, you could try cracking it, but presumably this will bypass GFWL, too.

Would've loved they patched Age of Empires Online with some kind of offline mode, unfortunately its not the case :(

Community stat visibility was added to AoE Online's app just last month, months after it pulled, and since this is a Steamworks feature it leads me to believe that the game going to come back with Steamworks integration. The detail itself doesn't necessarily mean anything (AoE 3 has long had it, but since it doesn't support Steamworks the stats link just takes you to the Steam Community landing page), but the fact it was added well after the game was pulled seems telling to me.

Community stat visibility was added to AoE Online's app just last month, months after it pulled, and since this is a Steamworks feature it leads me to believe that the game going to come back with Steamworks integration. The detail itself doesn't necessarily mean anything (AoE 3 has long had it, but since it doesn't support Steamworks the stats link just takes you to the Steam Community landing page), but the fact it was added well after the game was pulled seems telling to me.

Hopefully it goes through

I really enjoyed the game even if GFWL was there

Jawmuncher

I actually have games purchased through the GFWL client (Back when they had the pretty good winter sale that ncluded AOE3 for 10 cents). Have no clue what's going to happen to those games though. Especially Shadowrun...but it's not like I can really do anything with that game now aside from play with bots.

DMiz

Quick question guys:

1) How do I check if my account is an "online" or "offline" one?
2) If I'm currently using an "online" one, will that work to play the games even after the service goes down? Or should I be looking into getting an "offline" account (and, if so, how do I guarantee that I have one during registration?)

Sentenza

How does patching the old versions encourage people to switch to the new version?

Giving you a bigger discount on Ultra if you already own the other versions makes more sense IMO.
But... That's precisely the point?
Allowing people to transfer their GFWL purchase on Steam no matter where they bought the game is also giving them the chance to prove ownership of the older versions for an upgrade.
We aren't talking about weird fiction here, that's exactly what other companies did in the past and what Capcom itself claimed they are planning, in case you missed it.

How to keep up to date on those games? If i buy Dark Souls today then MP is not working and i have to buy the updated version somewhere down the road?... but no one knows if there even will be an updated version?

This situation is not optimal!

Lazaro

Once GFWL is buried, some of the GFWL victims will resurrect as SteamWorks titles. Although no ones knows what Microsoft is gonna do with their titles.

Microsoft
Fable 3 (No plans.)
Gears of War (No plans.)
Halo 2 (No plans.)
Microsoft Flight (No plans.)
Shadowrun (No plans.)
Tinker (No plans.)
Viva Piñata (No plans.)

Its a new year so hopefully Microsoft will break their silence on the Halo Steam situation.

Top Bottom