• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Q3 Investors' Meeting slides, now in English

Richie

Here ya go.

Sample:

As a platform in its second year, Wii U is currently in a very difficult position. I would like to begin with what we are going to do with Wii U.

Obviously, under the current situation where the company has to report an operating loss, simply executing a price reduction as a way to defuse the situation is not an option. In the short-term, Nintendo will focus on thoroughly enriching the value of the most significant feature of Wii U, the Wii U GamePad.

Unfortunately, as the current situation of Wii U shows, we have not been able to fully communicate the value of the GamePad. We also realize that we have not been successful in answering consumers’ questions such as, “What is the difference between Wii U and the previous platform, Wii, and what is the benefit of upgrading it?” By looking at the current sales situation, I am aware that this is due to our lack of effort. What’s even worse is that there even appear to be not a small number of consumers who think the GamePad is one of the accessories for the previous platform, Wii.
It is more challenging to convey the appeal of the GamePad to consumers who do not engage with video games that often since they do not actively gather information about video games. Therefore, we intend to take on this challenge, and I would like to have this solved before the year-end sales season.

In order to do this, it is obvious that Our top priority task this year is to offer software titles that are made possible because of the GamePad. We have managed to offer several of such software titles for occasions when many people gather in one place to play, but we have not been able to offer a decisive software title that enriches the user’s gameplay experience when playing alone with the GamePad. This will be one of the top priorities of Mr. Miyamoto’s software development department this year.

In addition, the GamePad is the only video game platform with an NFC (near-field communication) reader/writer function. “Pokémon Rumble U” has already taken advantage of this function, but aside from this title, Wii U has failed to make use of the full potential of this function so far, despite it being a built-in feature. This year, we will make full use of this function by preparing multiple proposals, including the implementation of NFC payments with JR East’s “Suica,” which we announced on a previous occasion. We will showcase our detailed propositions for utilizing the NFC functionality at E3 in Los Angeles in June.

We are now sure that we can solve the technical problem of displaying Virtual Console software from Nintendo DS on the GamePad.
The dual-screen Nintendo DS, one of which is a touch screen, has a very strong software lineup, and so we plan to add the Virtual Console titles from Nintendo DS software to the future Virtual Console lineup for Wii U.

On Wii U, we launched Nintendo Network IDs, which are abbreviated as NNIDs. This is the first step of our efforts to transform customer relationship management from device-based to account-based, namely, consumer-based, through which we aim to establish long-term relationships with individual consumers, unaffected by the lifespans of our systems. Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices.

As a second step, Nintendo 3DS became compatible with NNIDs in December 2013. Nintendo 3DS was originally designed for a device-based management system, so making it account-compatible at a later time meant that not all of its features were perfect. However, we feel that we have taken a step in the right direction as we now have a uniformly managed system in which we are connected with our consumers on both handheld devices and consoles.
Of course, when we do launch new hardware in the future, rather than re-creating an installed base from scratch as we did in the past, we wish to build on our existing connections with our consumers through NNIDs and continue to maintain them.

The way in which dedicated video game systems and their software are sold has not changed significantly since the business model of dedicated video game platforms was first established 30 years ago. Dedicated video game systems are sold for two hundred or three hundred dollars, on which standalone software titles are distributed for 30 or 50 dollars. This simple model received widespread support from consumers that enabled us to create today’s market. The decision to change it is the manifestation of our recognition that we cannot expect this model to work forever amid dynamic changes in people’s lifestyles.

If we succeed in the redefinition of video game platforms that I speak of today, our account-based connections with consumers will become very clear. For example, until now it has been taken for granted that software is offered to users at the same price regardless of how many titles they purchase in a year, be it one, five or even ten titles. Based on our account system, if we can offer flexible price points to consumers who meet certain conditions, we can create a situation where these consumers can enjoy our software at cheaper price points when they purchase more. Here, we do not need to limit the condition to the number of software titles they purchase. Inviting friends to start playing a particular software title is also an example of a possible condition. If we can achieve such a sales mechanism, we can expect to increase the number of players per title, and the players will play our games with more friends. This can help maintain the high usage ratio of a platform. When one platform maintains a high active use ratio, the software titles which run on it have a higher potential to be noticed by many, which leads to more people playing with more titles. When we see our overall consumers, they generally play two or three titles per year. We aim to establish a new sales mechanism that will be beneficial to both consumers and software creators by encouraging our consumers to play more titles and increasing a platform’s active use ratio without largely increasing our consumers’ expenditures.

Nintendo aims to work on this brand-new sales mechanism in the medium term, but we would like to start experimenting with Wii U at an early stage.

We will definitely maintain dedicated video game platforms as our core business, but we will also take on the challenge of expanding into a new business area. We will attempt to establish a new platform business with which we can leverage our strengths, but which is independent from our video game platform business.

What Nintendo will try to achieve in the next 10 years is a platform business that improves people’s QOL in enjoyable ways. This definition includes, of course, dedicated video game platforms. While we will continue to devote our energy to dedicated video game platforms, what I see as our first step into a new business area in our endeavor to improve QOL is, the theme of “health.” Of course, defining a new entertainment business that seeks to improve QOL creates various possibilities for the future such as “learning” and “lifestyle,” but it is our intention to take “health” as our first step. Please note, however, that rather than simply setting health as our theme, Nintendo will also try to expand it in a new blue ocean.

hongcha

Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices

So we have to wait for your future devices to have an account system that is not device-based? No integration of accounts with Wii U and 3DS? That is what I am getting from this.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
People should read the whole thing, especially the part about NNID and games.

So they just realize that they lack proper communication with the market in terms of demonstrating why the WiiU is a new console huh..

original.gif

Shaanyboi

Banned
Releasing DS VC on Wii U and not on 3DS makes 100% sense.

Now if you excuse I'm gonna strap my nonwearable console in my head and enhance my QoL!

Hey, put whatever on whatever, that's awesome. But how they've failed to roll out any kind of meaningful VC service on their platforms is just... depressing.

watershed

Banned
Nintendo is really too goddamn slow. A real account system is going to carry them into the future because consumers have never used an account system that carries their information across multiple platforms before.

Instro

So we have to wait for your future devices to have an account system that is not device-based? No integration of accounts with Wii U and 3DS? That is what I am getting from this.

Seems like it can't be done, I would imagine the 3DS is the issue.

So they just realize that they lack proper communication with the market in terms of demonstrating why the WiiU is a new console huh..

They will forever "just" realize it. They had this same problem with the fucking 3DS and claimed they'd "learn" from the mistakes. They didn't.

Nintendo's biggest enemy at this point is Nintendo. It's like the entire company has anterograde anmesia. They keep forgetting the mistakes they just made and keep repeating the exact same ones.

Draconian

It's pretty hilarious how bad the initial translation about the Virtual Console was. I don't recall the DS even being mentioned in that other thread.

Whompa

Nintendo will focus on thoroughly enriching the value of the most significant feature of Wii U, the Wii U GamePad.

Good thing the upcoming Donkey Kong game utilizes the GamePad really well...

also, focusing your efforts on a gimmick. GREAT.

Going back to old strategy of banking on Miyamoto to save the day, it's possible as evidenced by Wii Sports/Fit, Nintendogs and Brain Age, of course it might not work as it didn't with the N64 and the Gamecube.

watershed

Banned
So this "Nintendo on Demand" service is going to start on the Wii U but not be it's full self until their next hardware.

backlot

He does mention using NNID in order to unite all of their users, so it sounds like it applies to both Wii U and 3DS.

23.jpg

It's business speak-y and confusing as all hell, though.

Yeah it's real confusing. What exactly does Nintendo consider a "consumer relationship" to be?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just read it all

one thing for sure: Nintendo's next years are going to be very very interesting. It almost sounds like they're going to start from scratch

Lunar15

Yeah it's real confusing. What exactly does Nintendo consider a "consumer relationship" to be?

Basically, it all sounds like a roundabout way of saying that they're going to start doing what every other tech services company is doing: have a global account system that can be activated from anywhere and provide services that go across all platforms.

The easiest example is what they're doing with miiverse. You'll be able to access miiverse from the 3DS, the Wii U, and from smart phones.

Tobor

Cross post:

We will use a small, select team of developers to achieve it. Also, we recognize that attracting consumers’ attention among the myriads of mobile applications is not easy, and as I said before, we feel that simply releasing our games just as they are on smart devices would not provide the best entertainment for smart devices, so we are not going to take any approach of this nature. Having said that, however, in the current environment surrounding smart devices, we feel that we will not be able to gain the support of many consumers unless we are able to provide something truly valuable that is unique to Nintendo. Accordingly, I have not given any restrictions to the development team, even not ruling out the possibility of making games or using our game characters.

Games on mobile aren't off the table after all?

However, if you report that we will release Mario on smart devices, it would be a completely misleading statement.

Don't you dare report this!

A Nintendo Direct right about now, announcing some fuckin' games, would help a lot.

They are having a very hard time supporting the Wii U with games. It's hard to see a games company try to branch off into something that doesn't really seem like games at all.

I don't see the Wii U situation doing anything but worse from here on out.

Jonboy

Instead, we should continue to make our best efforts to seek a blue ocean with no rivals and create a new market with innovative offerings as a medium- to long-term goal.

Freakin' depressing. I just can't see it happening again, Nintendo. The Wii was an aberration, truly lightning in a bottle.

Davey Cakes

Good thing the upcoming Donkey Kong game utilizes the GamePad really well...

also, focusing your efforts on a gimmick. GREAT.
Your post confuses me. Hell, that thread about DK confused me.

It's like, if they decide to not utilize the Gamepad at all (since it won't be used in a meaningful way), they're doing it wrong. BUT, if they go all in trying to utilize the Gamepad, they're putting too many resources into a gimmick and thus they're doing it wrong. So, is it even possible for them to do it right?

People keep saying that Nintendo should drop the Gamepad in general, which is ridiculous. That's what we need, effectively an Xbox 360 that plays Nintendo games.....No, how about we give Nintendo the chance to go in the complete opposite direction and actually sell the Gamepad as a system-defining feature. I know we're beyond a year into the Wii U's lifespan already but hey, anyone thinking that Nintendo was going to ditch the system so soon was already delusional. Let's just sit back and see what direction the company takes.

Frolow

Banned
As we continue to redefine our platforms from a device-based system to an account-based system using NNIDs, we will also try to change the way in which dedicated video game systems as well as software are sold that people have come to take for granted.
The way in which dedicated video game systems and their software are sold has not changed significantly since the business model of dedicated video game platforms was first established 30 years ago. Dedicated video game systems are sold for two hundred or three hundred dollars, on which standalone software titles are distributed for 30 or 50 dollars. This simple model received widespread support from consumers that enabled us to create today’s market. The decision to change it is the manifestation of our recognition that we cannot expect this model to work forever amid dynamic changes in people’s lifestyles.
If we succeed in the redefinition of video game platforms that I speak of today, our account-based connections with consumers will become very clear. For example, until now it has been taken for granted that software is offered to users at the same price regardless of how many titles they purchase in a year, be it one, five or even ten titles. Based on our account system, if we can offer flexible price points to consumers who meet certain conditions, we can create a situation where these consumers can enjoy our software at cheaper price points when they purchase more. Here, we do not need to limit the condition to the number of software titles they purchase. Inviting friends to start playing a particular software title is also an example of a possible condition. If we can achieve such a sales mechanism, we can expect to increase the number of players per title, and the players will play our games with more friends. This can help maintain the high usage ratio of a platform. When one platform maintains a high active use ratio, the software titles which run on it have a higher potential to be noticed by many, which leads to more people playing with more titles. When we see our overall consumers, they generally play two or three titles per year. We aim to establish a new sales mechanism that will be beneficial to both consumers and software creators by encouraging our consumers to play more titles and increasing a platform’s active use ratio without largely increasing our consumers’ expenditures.
Nintendo aims to work on this brand-new sales mechanism in the medium term, but we would like to start experimenting with Wii U at an early stage.
I found this one slide to be particularly interesting. My interpretation is that they plan on implementing pricing incentives for those who purchase more software, which could be something huge if done correctly.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Very very interesting stuff. I really wish the English slides would've been put up at the same time as the presentation, these fractured half-translated tweets and quotes paint their plans in such a ridiculous way, and will likely be the basis for the GAF narrative of what Nintendo's plans are for months.

I REALLY recommend that everyone read this whole thing.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I found this one slide to be particularly interesting. My interpretation is that they plan on implementing pricing incentives for those who purchase more software, which could be something huge if done correctly.

yeah, seems like the evolution of Club Nintendo (and much more rewarding than getting some bollocks like Bowser stickers or something)

I feel like a lot of this was exactly what people were saying the issue was with the console. I wonder why they didn't see it coming like the consumers did.

jmizzal

yeah, seems like the evolution of Club Nintendo (and much more rewarding than getting some bollocks like Bowser stickers or something)

Also seems like a more advanced Digital deluxe promotion too

Fitness is a multi-million dollar area. Nothing to be depressed about

Yup people complaining about Nintendo selling QOL stuff is like is someone complaining about Sony selling MP3 players and not solely focusing on the Playstation brand. Its just another way for them to make revenue in another area, if people dont like it, they can just ignore it.

15.jpg

Oh, hey there, things Nintendo should've been doing at launch. What's that? You're going to actually try to do them in 2014? Well what were you doing before?

Jonboy

Very very interesting stuff. I really wish the English slides would've been put up at the same time as the presentation, these fractured half-translated tweets and quotes paint their plans in such a ridiculous way, and will likely be the basis for the GAF narrative of what Nintendo's plans are for months.

I REALLY recommend that everyone read this whole thing.

Agree 100%. So many misconceptions based off the translated tweets.

Fitness is a multi-million dollar area. Nothing to be depressed about
That may be fine for Nintendo...but not for me and my interests in gaming.

Anyone make sense of this one?

"As we continue to redefine our platforms from a device-based system to an account-based system using NNIDs, we will also try to change the way in which dedicated video game systems as well as software are sold that people have come to take for granted."

Azih

Citing marketing as the only problem with the WiiU is either delusional or straight up lying to investors.

And "make better software for the Gamepad?" Man, if Nintendo could do that, then why didn't they do that MORE THAN A YEAR AGO. This does not fill me with any kind of confidence for the WiiU.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Anyone make sense of this one?

He explains it after that. Examples include potential software discounts for people who buy a lot of games in a year, or discounts for people who get friends to buy a game. Doable because they have an account system they can track your activities with, and apply discounts via. Not just "game and system costs the same for everyone, all the time," which is what he says is the method people are currently taking for granted.

I'd be perfectly okay with a lack of backwards compatibility on both the next handheld and home console if they could integrate both those and make them really powerful.

But my VC purchases need to carry forward forever, that's non-negotiable.

Azih

One interesting though is it seems they are going to take Bandai's advice and start whoring Nintendo characters out in other mediums.

Also, we are planning to utilize Nintendo’s abundance of character IP more actively. I think the reason that Nintendo is now considered to have this “abundance of character IP” is perhaps because of our passive approach toward the character IP licensing business, which tends to have a high risk of damaging the value of the character. In other words, we think that spending time to develop our approach of having our characters appear mainly in our carefully selected games has created our current fortunate circumstances. However, we are going to change our policy going forward.

To be more precise, we will actively expand our character licensing business, including proactively finding appropriate partners. In fact, we have been actively selling character merchandise for about a year in the U.S.
Also, we will be flexible about forming licensing relationships in areas we did not license in the past, such as digital fields, provided we are not in direct competition and we can form win-win relationships.

By moving forward with such activities globally, we aim to increase consumer exposure to Nintendo characters by making them appear in places other than on video game platforms.

Top Bottom