• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Q3 Investors' Meeting slides, now in English

Jonboy

No joke the Wii U is so dead at this point. I read the entire thing and Iwata does not offer any realistic plan for turning it around. "Focusing on the gamepad" is not a new plan, it's what they have said from the beginning and have completelly failed to do. Ditto to "communicate the advantages of the Wii U clearly to consumers" and "drive the install base to attract 3rd parties". None of that is going to happen.

The plan is to literally throw crap at the wall and hope something sticks. They're trying to catch lightning in the bottle again like they did with Wii. It's just not going to happen.

Sakura

Really interesting read. Especially the bit about the rethinking on the way things are priced. If games can be cheaper for people like me, who buy many games a year, then this could be great. Would also be a great incentive to get the people that only buy a few games a year to buy more.

The plan is to literally throw crap at the wall and hope something sticks. They're trying to catch lightning in the bottle again like they did with Wii. It's just not going to happen.

At this point they're just trying to salvage what they have, hope they can make it profitable and put on a brave face while they develop the next system. They know the Wii U is deader than a door-nail, just don't expect them to say it right now.

The Boat

39.jpg

The fact they're looking another direction with the QoL agenda shows to me that they have given up on trying to innovate on the gaming side. In that slide, they're HOPING that they get some inspiration back to their game platform.

Instead, they're going to whore out their IP in order to leverage their existing assets and make more money. Seems desperate.
It's absurd to think that Nintendo, of all companies, would give up on innovating on the game side. It's extra absurd when Iwata explicitly says videogames will continue being their main business.

I see posts here and related threads of people acting as if Nintendo will suddenly stop the pursuit of making the high quality games they're known for and I have to wonder, how disconnected from this subject do you have to be to really believe this,

Zeenbor

It's absurd to think that Nintendo, of all companies, would give up on innovating on the game side. It's extra absurd when Iwata explicitly says videogames will continue being their main business.

I see posts here and related threads of people acting as if Nintendo will suddenly stop the pursuit of making the high quality games they're known for and I have to wonder, how disconnected from this subject do you have to be to really believe this,

High-quality games with Nintendo IP does not equate to market-shifting innovation that they'll need to be relevant again.

They've given up on innovation within the core gaming space. They did it before with the casual gaming market with the Wii. Hence the focus on QoL.

Richie

Really interesting read. Especially the bit about the rethinking on the way things are priced. If games can be cheaper for people like me, who buy many games a year, then this could be great. Would also be a great incentive to get the people that only buy a few games a year to buy more.

It was the most interesting aspect to me as well, alongside the DS VC. It's also a magnificent opportunity to get in third party's good graces; support their efforts on the platform, and get discounts on future titles of theirs, alongside Nintendo's own releases.

Dude they are splitting things up, (Casual, Health,lifestyle stuff), Core gaming Console and Handheld, they are not giving up on gaming, the QOL stuff is another way for them to make money, come on now its not that hard to understand.

They are trying to expand their business, licensing out their IP's, maybe Disney movies? more spin off games, tv shows, comic books, anime's or what ever.

Yeah, and what part of all that sounds appealing again?

The Boat

High-quality games with Nintendo IP does not equate to market-shifting innovation that they'll need to be relevant again.

They've given up on innovation within the core gaming space. They did it before with the casual gaming market with the Wii. Hence the focus on QoL.
I don't think Nintendo has ever given up on doing that, but I feel this is a discussion that will lead us to nowhere.

At this point they're just trying to salvage what they have, hope they can make it profitable and put on a brave face while they develop the next system.

That is my interpretation as well. If you just look at what Iwata actually said:
Iwata said:
"As a platform in its second year, Wii U is currently in a very difficult position. I would like to begin with what we are going to do with Wii U.

Obviously, under the current situation where the company has to report an operating loss, simply executing a price reduction as a way to defuse the situation is not an option. In the short-term, Nintendo will focus on thoroughly enriching the value of the most significant feature of Wii U, the Wii U GamePad."
He basically stated that was the strategy in the short term. What is the mid/ long term? It appears to be the future systems.

This -at least- clarifies some of the confusion that was brought about from the tweets and WSJ liveblog that where covering this. I wasn't entirely sure if Nintendo's "wellness" or "QOL" approach would be directly tied into hardware and software, or if it would be a completely separate branch of business altogether. I'm glad to see it's the latter, but as someone who has been a lifelong fan of the company, I have zero confidence that they won't completely fuck it all up.

My favorite piece of news is probably that they are going to license out some of their franchises to other developers. I'd love to see certain, specific studios' takes on some of NIntendo's biggest IPs, as opposed to only ever seeing Nintendo's ideas for what the franchise would be. I'd LOVE a Platinum Games Starfox, for example.

Iwata said:
Nintendo is not a resource-rich company, with only a little more than 5,000 employees on a consolidated basis. We cannot achieve a strong presence by imitating others and simply competing in terms of size. We have often received advice on overcoming our weaknesses in comparison with other companies and have been questioned about why Nintendo doesn’t follow suit when something is already booming. From a medium- to long-term standpoint, however, we don’t believe that following trends will lead to a positive outcome for Nintendo as an entertainment company. Instead, we should continue to make our best efforts to seek a blue ocean with no rivals and create a new market with innovative offerings as a medium- to long-term goal.

That's the entire philosophy of Iwata-era NCL in a nutshell: ignore the rest of the industry as much as possible, pretend as much as possible that Nintendo isn't competing with either Sony/MS consoles or smartphones/tablets, and pray that we can catch lightning in a bottle again. Good luck with that...

That's the entire philosophy of Iwata-era NCL in a nutshell: ignore the rest of the industry as much as possible, pretend as much as possible that Nintendo isn't competing with either Sony/MS consoles or smartphones/tablets, and pray that we can catch lightning in a bottle again. Good luck with that...

It's an especially stupid strategy because you can't just avoid competition forever especially for a company like Nintendo is so invested in one particular area. People in business classes will probably read Iwata as a funny reference in like 30 years.

It's an especially stupid strategy because you can't just avoid competition forever especially for a company like Nintendo is so invested in one particular area. People in business classes will probably read Iwata as a funny reference in like 30 years.

Well, the QoL platform could be construed, generously but not wholly implausibly, as a recognition that it's increasingly difficult to avoid competition in the gaming space and that the blue ocean has to be found elsewhere.

It's just so vaguely defined, and the way Iwata announced it was so weird (presenting "non-wearable" as an advancement over "wearable," without any explanation of what the former term means), that I can't really bring myself to form an opinion about it yet.

Considering that Nintendo isn't going to be expanding their workforce, any resources dedicated to QoL is less resources dedicated to gaming.

Iwata is effectively shrinking Nintendo's involvement with games. Given Iwata's philosophy, he'll abandoning gaming if QoL takes off.

jmizzal

Considering that Nintendo isn't going to be expanding their workforce, any resources dedicated to QoL is less resources dedicated to gaming.

Iwata is effectively shrinking Nintendo's involvement with games. Given Iwata's philosophy, he'll abandoning gaming if QoL takes off.

umm they been expanding their work force for the last few years

If it takes off its gonna help the company as a whole in making money, they clearly said that game hardware and software is their number 1 business and its not going anywhere. So I dont know why you and others keep spreading this crap about them leaving gaming, they are just doing something else to help the company make money, there is nothing wrong with that.

Yeah but who do you think's going to be designing these games, the Galaxy team?

It'll be the Wii Fit/Wii Music/Wii Sports/Brain Age/Nintendogs etc. crew.

Exactly the slides clearly show that these brands are the ones moving into the QOL stuff

Yeah but who do you think's going to be designing these games, the Galaxy team?

It'll be the Wii Fit/Wii Music/Wii Sports/Brain Age/Nintendogs etc. crew.

inner-G

Banned
I like the DS software angle.

If I can get DQIV/V/VI... :3

DSTV wouldn't have been a terrible name for the system itself.

Anth0ny

This. It's fucking painful to read. He just doesn't get it.

I honestly thought the failure of the Wii U would be the slap in the face he needed. I guess not!

Shiggy

I honestly thought the failure of the Wii U would be the slap in the face he needed. I guess not!

Now I'm worried. You should have known him better. He will now bring out some O.Zen copy for €200 and will then wonder why it's not selling too well.

In order to do this, it is obvious that Our top priority task this year is to offer software titles that are made possible because of the GamePad. We have managed to offer several of such software titles for occasions when many people gather in one place to play, but we have not been able to offer a decisive software title that enriches the user’s gameplay experience when playing alone with the GamePad. This will be one of the top priorities of Mr. Miyamoto’s software development department this year.

This is what I want. Excellent.

AzaK

I actually wonder if this QoL thing is going to be their real move into smartphones and tablets. Generate a new arm of Nintendo that is not necessarily games focused. Put it where the mainstream are and get them into it. Have crossovers into your gaming arm (MiiVerse for instance, or super enhanced versions on their own hardware). Therefore the smartphone software has next to zero impact on your gaming business and if anything will trickle down (maybe negligibly) into gaming.

I do think that it's smart that they are looking to do something completely new to expand their business. It reduces reliance on just pure gaming but I am very worried that it will effect their gaming business due to their limited resource and I also feel that their statements about blue ocean wrt gaming mean we won't see them going 'core' on their next console. If true it basically spells the end of my relationship with Nintendo. I won't do another console of theirs that doesn't have a reasonable focus on pure gaming tech.

Terrell

On their next platforms, don't think they will unify the current ones.

The slide talks about steps being made towards this being an end goal, but didn't offer any specifics about when. Only that the next platforms are being built without the device-specific hurdles of 3DS and Wii U.

I found this one slide to be particularly interesting. My interpretation is that they plan on implementing pricing incentives for those who purchase more software, which could be something huge if done correctly.

While everyone freaks about about the "QOL" thing and the fact that they're not dropping the Gamepad like any sensible individual would have deduced, THIS is the news of the day.
And not just purchase volume incentives, but incentives for recommending and promoting content to other usersl a true "ambassador program" baked right into the platform.

People are always asking Nintendo to do something that rewards their customers? THIS is the way to do it.

But never mind that. After all, Nintendo is clueless and that means absolutely nothing to GAF, even though many here have been talking about/asking for/demanding an aggressive digital pricing structure for years. Because Nintendo.

They are not "ignoring the rest of the industry" when they are opening up their licensing and collaboration.

There is a difference between choosing not to go a certain path than to be pretend the other path doesn't exist. Time will tell how Nintendo will rebuild themselves.

jmizzal

I actually wonder if this QoL thing is going to be their real move into smartphones and tablets. Generate a new arm of Nintendo that is not necessarily games focused. Put it where the mainstream are and get them into it. Have crossovers into your gaming arm (MiiVerse for instance, or super enhanced versions on their own hardware). Therefore the smartphone software has next to zero impact on your gaming business and if anything will trickle down (maybe negligibly) into gaming.

I do think that it's smart that they are looking to do something completely new to expand their business. It reduces reliance on just pure gaming but I am very worried that it will effect their gaming business due to their limited resource and I also feel that their statements about blue ocean wrt gaming mean we won't see them going 'core' on their next console. If true it basically spells the end of my relationship with Nintendo. I won't do another console of theirs that doesn't have a reasonable focus on pure gaming tech.

The blue ocean stuff is completely separate from their gaming hardware and software business and has nothing to do with their next handheld and console.

They even explain in this about them combining the OS of console and handheld, the QoL stuff is just another business venture to help make money and expand the brand

nikatapi

This. It's fucking painful to read. He just doesn't get it.

Yeah it doesn't sound like they have a definite plan on what to do in the future, just some vague ideas.

They want to repeat a Wii-like success, but it doesn't seem likely. Unfortunately it seems they are out of touch with what their core audience wants, and they still focus on how to get moms and grandmas on board. Really disappointing.

Sandfox

Yeah it doesn't sound like they have a definite plan on what to do in the future, just some vague ideas.

They want to repeat a Wii-like success, but it doesn't seem likely. Unfortunately it seems they are out of touch with what their core audience wants, and they still focus on how to get moms and grandmas on board. Really disappointing.

If you want to believe what Nintendo said they are making moves for the future that could be good for core gamers, but we obviously won't know more for a while.

Shenzakai

Banned
What the fuck is all this shit about "improving QOL"? Are they completely nuts?!
I see that stuff like Wii U or Eye training or whatever is very successful, but creating a whole business on it?

Next, finally they will do a account system not tied to the hardware. Congratulations, you are only one decade too late based on your competitors plus this won't bring me back my digital games worth hundreds of Euro because I've sold my 3DS/Wii/Wii U.

I loved Nintendo so damn much to the bottom of my heart during my childhood/teenage, but I'm completely done with these jerks.

Mattias

Banned
Sounds pretty good. Im looking forward to more games that use the gamepad. I think the gamepad is the best part of the Wii U.

Terrell

Next, finally they will do a account system not tied to the hardware. Congratulations, you are only one decade too late based on your competitors plus this won't bring me back my digital games worth hundreds of Euro because I've sold my 3DS/Wii/Wii U.

So... what, they shouldn't do it at all? That would be preferable or something? Yeah, it'll be late, but that doesn't invalidate it as a positive thing for consumers who want to keep consuming Nintendo products, no matter how hard you wish it not to be.

I'm starting to think that for all the people who want Nintendo to smarten up, they actually don't, if commentary like this is anything to go by.

Danneee

Nothing here makes me want to invest any more money in Nintendo hardware.
It's like they are allergic to copying good ideas from their competitors.

Edit: apart from years later when they suddenly realize the system in place isn't as consumer friendly as they though.

SuperSah

Banned
After seeing this, I feel Nintendo's going to end up dead in the water.

They have no clue what they're doing and ignoring the large smartphone and tablet market as competitors is a huuugee mistake.

Thank god I never bought into Wii U. They'll be lucky to survive until 2015 at this rate.

I have run Nintendo with the belief that the raison d’etre of entertainment is to put smiles on people’s faces around the world through products and services.

In addition, as the business environment around us has shifted with the times, I am willing to redefine the meaning of entertainment. As the extension of the definition of video games gave new potential to video games, I think now is the time we need to extend the definition of entertainment.

This time, we decided to redefine our notion of entertainment as something that improves people’s quality of life in enjoyable ways, and take a step forward in expanding our business areas. Being an entertainment company, making “enjoyable improvements” is something that Nintendo excels at, and this definition provides us with a clear distinction from simply “improving QOL.”
Ever since Nintendo was founded 125 years ago as a manufacturer of Hanafuda, Nintendo has continued to transform itself into offering various propositions to consumers from toys, electronic toys, and then video games, improving, in my view, people’s QOL in enjoyable ways.

What Nintendo will try to achieve in the next 10 years is a platform business that improves people’s QOL in enjoyable ways.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/04.html

I thought this part was very interesting.

zsidane

This is for me the best part of the whole briefing:
Iwata said:
In addition, we will change our approach to new markets in which we have not sufficiently expanded due to various issues such as infrastructure, consumers’ income and the legal system.
So far, we have localized our products which we distribute in developed markets, where video game markets have been firmly established, and tried to sell them in new markets. This method worked to some extent in the past, but it has recently become far more difficult to recoup our investment because of increasing hardware production costs and the cost of localizing highly sophisticated and complicated software.
Needless to say, there are core users in new markets who buy our hardware and software at the same price as in the existing markets and we really appreciate these consumers. For a large majority of consumers in the new markets, however, the current prices of hardware and software in the existing markets are generally difficult to accept.
To leverage Nintendo’s strength as an integrated hardware-software business, we will not rule out the idea of offering our own hardware for new markets, but for dramatic expansion of the consumer base there, we require a product family of hardware and software with an entirely different price structure from that of the developed markets.
But then I read this:
Iwata said:
We plan to take significant steps toward such a new market approach in the year 2015.
:sadface

Mattias

Banned
After seeing this, I feel Nintendo's going to end up dead in the water.

They have no clue what they're doing and ignoring the large smartphone and tablet market as competitors is a huuugee mistake.

Thank god I never bought into Wii U. They'll be lucky to survive until 2015 at this rate.

They are doooomed!

clubstoic

Banned
Lets cut through the marketing bull crap.

Quality of life platform = Series of non traditional gaming products such as Wii Fit and Brain Training apps. These apps will reinforce the Nintendo ecosystem by rewarding your account with play coins which let you buy little hats for your Mii.

Non wearable = Dont buy other "self improvement products", just use our apps cause they're cooler...you dont even need to wear em'.

Sendou

Sounds good to me

Basically yeah. I think they're taking a reasonable approach. Of course it's hardly what some people expected but there are plenty of genuinely good ideas there.

For example, until now it has been taken for granted that software is offered to users at the same price regardless of how many titles they purchase in a year, be it one, five or even ten titles. Based on our account system, if we can offer flexible price points to consumers who meet certain conditions, we can create a situation where these consumers can enjoy our software at cheaper price points.

That was my favorite part. Hopefully they can implement something like that.

Things are getting worse and worse. Miyamoto on Gamepad-centric software? What a waste. Let's hope at least in another meaty game from each EAD Tokyo and Retro. Glad at least we got 3D World (and f*ing Donkey Kong) before crash.

I was so close to having a public meltdown but now that I've had a good dose of sleep I came to realize that at the speed Nintendo operates, all of this won't matter to me since I'll be dead by then.

Sandfox

Things are getting worse and worse. Miyamoto on Gamepad-centric software? What a waste. Let's hope at least in another meaty game from each EAD Tokyo and Retro. Glad at least we got 3D World (and f*ing Donkey Kong) before crash.

I'm guessing they're going to move onto Nintendo's next platform before making another Wii U game.

Sendou

Things are getting worse and worse. Miyamoto on Gamepad-centric software?

That's not what they said though. In that context it essentially means Nintendo is making hardware that utilizes GamePad. So essentially the same they have been saying for two years now.

Although I totally expect that mysterious Miyamoto project using GamePad in some big way so there's that.

JDSN

Banned
Sounds good enough, but the speed they will use to implement this might mean that when the changes are implemented the market might have changed again.

I'm pretty happy about what I hear. If they can branch out into other areas and still keep a good stream of games coming I think it's fine.
Very pumped about the VC info.

3bdelilah

Banned
They might have their reasons (albeit very poor ones), but I really expected them to come up with a gamepad less SKU. I really hope they can come with excellent ways to use the gamepad, because that would be the best long term solution. But if they can't... oh well, let's just say dropping the gamepad would be much better speaking in the short term.

Top Bottom