• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Q3 Investors' Meeting slides, now in English

Boss Man

Nintendo planning to pave the future with user accounts that are not tied to devices.

I'll take some real Pokemon games from the DS since I'll never get an actual console version though. Been meaning to play SoulSilver.

Jonboy

He explains it after that. Examples include potential software discounts for people who buy a lot of games in a year, or discounts for people who get friends to buy a game. Doable because they have an account system they can track your activities with, and apply discounts via. Not just "game and system costs the same for everyone, all the time," which is what he says is the method people are currently taking for granted.
Yeah I get the software part. The "dedicated video game systems" part is what threw me off. You could basically reword part of what I quoted to say "we will also try to change the way in which dedicated video game systems are sold"...but the actual quote adds software to the mix. How exactly would they change the way the systems are sold?

"We will showcase our detailed propositions for utilizing the NFC functionality at E3 in Los Angeles in June."

So are they gonna make a proper return to E3 then?

evanmisha

Yeah I get the software part. The "dedicated video game systems" part is what threw me off. You could basically reword part of what I quoted to say "we will also try to change the way in which dedicated video game systems are sold"...but the actual quote adds software to the mix. How exactly would they change the way the systems are sold?

Insert picture of flying Amazon package here

backlot

Nintendo planning to pave the future with user accounts that are not tied to devices.

I'll take some real Pokemon games from the DS since I'll never get an actual console version though. Been meaning to play SoulSilver.

If they didn't give us Red and Blue on the Game Boy VC I wouldn't expect to ever get the DS Pokemon games on Wii U.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Maybe the same kind of things? Cheaper hardware for people who already own a system? Encouraging upgrading from DSlite to DSi, or getting a new color?

Or maybe something insane like renting hardware somehow?

HardRojo

Your post confuses me. Hell, that thread about DK confused me.

It's like, if they decide to not utilize the Gamepad at all (since it won't be used in a meaningful way), they're doing it wrong. BUT, if they go all in trying to utilize the Gamepad, they're putting too many resources into a gimmick and thus they're doing it wrong. So, is it even possible for them to do it right?

People keep saying that Nintendo should drop the Gamepad in general, which is ridiculous. That's what we need, effectively an Xbox 360 that plays Nintendo games.....No, how about we give Nintendo the chance to go in the complete opposite direction and actually sell the Gamepad as a system-defining feature. I know we're beyond a year into the Wii U's lifespan already but hey, anyone thinking that Nintendo was going to ditch the system so soon was already delusional. Let's just sit back and see what direction the company takes.

Actually me and some friends I know would be completely fine with a regular console which plays Nintendo games, heck, isn't that the reason you get Nintendo consoles nowadays? Their first party output is top notch so gimmick or not it'd still be great.

Maybe the same kind of things? Cheaper hardware for people who already own a system? Encouraging upgrading from DSlite to DSi, or getting a new color?

I'd be so down for that. I've had to rely on Gamestop promotions to upgrade hardware, but if Nintendo ran that themselves and it was good? I'm on board.

dearodie

Your post confuses me. Hell, that thread about DK confused me.

It's like, if they decide to not utilize the Gamepad at all (since it won't be used in a meaningful way), they're doing it wrong. BUT, if they go all in trying to utilize the Gamepad, they're putting too many resources into a gimmick and thus they're doing it wrong. So, is it even possible for them to do it right?

People keep saying that Nintendo should drop the Gamepad in general, which is ridiculous. That's what we need, effectively an Xbox 360 that plays Nintendo games.....No, how about we give Nintendo the chance to go in the complete opposite direction and actually sell the Gamepad as a system-defining feature. I know we're beyond a year into the Wii U's lifespan already but hey, anyone thinking that Nintendo was going to ditch the system so soon was already delusional. Let's just sit back and see what direction the company takes.

Agreed ... brofist!

"We will showcase our detailed propositions for utilizing the NFC functionality at E3 in Los Angeles in June."

So are they gonna make a proper return to E3 then?

I don't see why or how NFC is exciting. I get it, Skylanders and Disney Infinite sold well....but both those games are already on Wii U and it's not helping.

Is there any benefit to NFC other than quick credit card swipes and toy scanning?

Jonboy

Interesting...

This thread should be the 20-pager. I'm afraid folks aren't going to take the time to read through the actual translation. Ugh.

Poona

I don't see why or how NFC is exciting. I get it, Skylanders and Disney Infinite sold well....but both those games are already on Wii U and it's not helping.

Is there any benefit to NFC other than quick credit card swipes and toy scanning?

They could always tap into the Pokemon base and do a title that took advantage of it. Possibly a release like disney infinity/skylanders but for Pokemon.

Yes disney infinity/skylanders are already on wii u, but they're not exclusive.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This meeting made me both excited and terrified for the future of Nintendo. They seem like they genuinely want to change for the better, but very little that Iwata said excites me as a gamer.

Reading the translation, the medium to long term prospects sound promising. Yes, the Wii U is still a mess, but there are a few interesting tidbits in the works, like the quick boot, ds emulation, and the discounted software program.

Madouu

I recommend everyone to read the whole thing, it does paint a clearer picture than the tweets we've been reading for the last few hours, especially the QoL stuff.

I still think that the "strategy" for the game business is lacking on many many levels. I do feel though that unifying the Nintendo userbase through NNIDs, accounts, rewards and possibly some kind of on demand service is definitely the first important step in the right direction. Sadly, this is clearly not enough.

Bullza2o

Things look a bit more clear now. I do wonder how NFC games will work. I'd be disinterested if I have to keep buying figures --it's almost like DLC but physical.

AzaK

This whole Blue Ocean talk confuses me. Specifically when Iwata talks like it's been Nintendo's MO forever. As far as I recall the NES and the Wii are the only two consoles that fit that. The rest are just continuations. He seems very insincere.

watershed

Banned
No joke the Wii U is so dead at this point. I read the entire thing and Iwata does not offer any realistic plan for turning it around. "Focusing on the gamepad" is not a new plan, it's what they have said from the beginning and have completelly failed to do. Ditto to "communicate the advantages of the Wii U clearly to consumers" and "drive the install base to attract 3rd parties". None of that is going to happen.

gemoran4

Well i've said it for awhile now (not the only one), but I think the Nintendo platform for their future consoles/handhelds will be a very smart move.

And it makes a lot of sense. It wasn't really a big deal for Nintendo to support two seperate platforms in previous gens because development costs were lower. Now with Wii U being an HD console and 3DS being at gamecube level graphics, there is/was no way they were going to have the capacity to sufficiently support both platforms with. This problem is even further exasperated by the fact that there's little 3rd party support to help mitigate the issue.

So here's my personal Pros and Cons that i get from these slides. I know my cons have much more detailed thoughts than my pros, but my pros are a bit more concrete and straightforward than my cons:

Pros:
- Account Based system and merging between platforms is confirmed to be happening
- Nintendo platform for future consoles/handhelds
- Licensing out IP to 3rd parties to develop
*granted they did this during the gamecube gen as well, but i think it does give a chance for IPs like starfox, fzero and kid icarus to perhaps get future releases
- Flexible price points/options

N/A
- QoL: Only because I don't know what impact it will have on Nintendo's gaming side. As long as it's a seperate "branch" and outside some collaborating between divisions it doesn't affect Nintendo's gaming hardware/software efforts i'm okay with it. Nintendo is a business and frankly being invested in different markets is not a bad idea. Microsoft and Sony do the same thing.

Cons:
- This quote: "From a medium- to long-term standpoint, however, we don’t believe that following trends will lead to a positive outcome for Nintendo as an entertainment company. Instead, we should continue to make our best efforts to seek a blue ocean with no rivals and create a new market with innovative offerings as a medium- to long-term goal."

*I think they are still really caught up in catching fire again like the Wii. At the end of the day, they couldn't capitalize on it and have not proven this model for them is one for anything but short term success. So the idea that they are coming up with this conclusion from a "medium- to long-term standpoint" is silly to me.

- Enriching the Gamepad
*I'm gonna explain myself on this one. The gamepad is a significant part of the cost to the Wii U console. It also happens to be the one thing that differentiates it from the competition. I also think it's a great idea to focus on software that can help make the gamepad a much more interesting and appealing commodity to the general public. So why do I have it as a con? Because its TOO LATE! This should have happened in 2011 and 2012 before the console launched. They should have had multiple full fledged games that used the gamepad in awesome ways, and alongside Nintendo Land market the ever lasting hell out of it. Revealing games to make the gamepad interesting 18 months into it's life (that's around how old it will be by e3 2014) is just pointless now. The novelty of the gamepad has come and gone at this point and most people who had learned about it from past e3s and such don't care anymore. I will concede it's better than doing nothing, but I think the fact that this mindset is coming at this point in Wii U's lifecycle is mind-boggling to say the least.

- Empty Statements
*Specifically, this quote
" To create huge momentum, we would like to ensure that the release of titles such as “Mario Kart 8” is not a one-off event."
*I'm sorry, but how many times have we heard these kind of promises from Iwata? We are already going to suffer a 3 month drought (unless there some indie titles, i'd have to check) between DK:TF and Mario Kart 8. From what I can tell, there is nothing Iwata is offering around the same time as Mario Kart 8. So how is it not going to be a one-off event? How about instead of stating it, explain to us how that won't be the case and discuss some strategy. You don't have to go in depth but at least give us some kind of focused objective to accomplish that goal.

So those are my thoughts on it. Sorry if my grammar sucks, I'm tired and being lazy about proofreading so apologies in advance.

No joke the Wii U is so dead at this point. I read the entire thing and Iwata does not offer any realistic plan for turning it around. "Focusing on the gamepad" is not a new plan, it's what they have said from the beginning and have completelly failed to do. Ditto to "communicate the advantages of the Wii U clearly to consumers" and "drive the install base to attract 3rd parties". None of that is going to happen.

Oh man, I guess Nintendo should just give up and go third party then!

jmizzal

So is Watch Dogs supposed to be in the Wii U's 3rd party 2014 line up? Because I did not see it on the list.

It has never been on that list even after E3 when the game was gonna come out in Nov, this list always leave games off, and like posted above its just a copy and paste almost of the last list we got

Okay? Where did I say that?

You didn't, but the general negativity from your post implies that they shouldn't even bother.

The WiiU is doing badly, yes. And although I don't think there's a possibility of it having a true ressurection in the marketplace, it's not unreasonable to say that Nintendo doesn't have the resources to turn it around and make it into a modest success. The company has at least acknolwedged the major problems to investors and is working on solutions to try to fix them.

People need to stop counting Nintendo out.

linkboy

Focusing on the Gamepad is the only realistic option they have left.

They can't drop it. Doing so would split the userbase and break certain games (Mario 3D Land, Zombie U and Lego City being a few examples). It's not as simple as "patching" Gamepad support out. Take Zombie U for example, it would essentially require them to remake the damn game. Not to mention games they have in development.

The problem Nintendo has with the Gamepad is that they haven't been able to show anyone why it's needed. The Wiimote, combined with Wii Sports, was something that just clicked. It was something that (figuratively) smacked people upside the head with how simple it was.

On the other hand, people look at the Gamepad on the other hand and just see a controller with a huge ass touchscreen in the middle of it. They see it as a really shitty tablet or an over glorified DS.

Log4Girlz

I like the idea of cheaper games if you are already buying and are loyal. If I buy a console, and I buy say, 2 full priced Nintendo games on my account, the next should be 10 bucks off. Then the one after should be 10 dollars off that previous price, until you hit that minimal level. I say, that level should be no more than say, 14.99. If all Nintendo games after a certain amount of purchasing gets to 14.99, I'm gonna buy a fuck ton of Nintendo games.

I don't see how sales are going to improve for awhile for Nintendo. They don't have a very strong lineup for either of their devices this year.

To invest in something as vague as their invisible QOL, which is fairly far away, doesn't instil any confidence in profit turnaround whatsoever.

It's like they showed us what they plan to do, but what we wanted to see is what they are GOING to do. Saying 'we're going to focus on the gamepad' is meaningly next to 'this is why we made the gamepad' and boom.

watershed

Banned
You didn't, but the general negativity from your post implies that they shouldn't even bother.

The WiiU is doing badly, yes. And although I don't think there's a possibility of it having a true ressurection in the marketplace, it's not unreasonable to say that Nintendo doesn't have the resources to turn it around and make it into a modest success. The company has at least acknolwedged the major problems to investors and is working on solutions to try to fix them.

People need to stop counting Nintendo out.

Shouldn't bother with what?

The Wii U is dead and today Nintendo offered no plans on turning that around. Nothing Iwata said laid out a realistic strategy for improving Wii U sales.

The 3ds is doing well but Nintendo didn't address it much besides saying they will depend on it to generate profit this year.

The QoL platform is interesting but non-existent at this point and we won't see it till 2015.

The rest is a lot of vague talk about accounts, games on demand, and some kind of smartphone app.

Nintendo is not in a very good place right now and as I said, on the Wii U front Nintendo did not offer any solutions.

Log4Girlz

I don't see how sales are going to improve for awhile for Nintendo. They don't have a very strong lineup for either of their devices this year.

To invest in something as vague as their invisible QOL, which is fairly far away, doesn't instil any confidence in profit turnaround whatsoever.

It's like they showed us what they plan to do, but what we wanted to see is what they are GOING to do. Saying 'we're going to focus on the gamepad' is meaningly next to 'this is why we made the gamepad' and boom.

Nintendo isn't going to be very profitable for a good, long time.

sörine

Banned
No mention of Watch_Dogs in Nintendo's upcoming third-party Wii U lineup is very concerning.
Watch_Dogs wasn't mentioned before either in the 3rd party extracts. They also haven't mentioned Monster Hunter 4 G which is easily their biggest 3rd party game on 3DS.

Zeenbor

Looks like Nintendo has given up on gaming. As a long-time Nintendo fan, these are sad times.

That being said, I'm very interested to see their lifestyle apps on smart devices. If they leverage their developers correctly, they could create engaging apps with polish and cater to an expanded audience.

The only mistake is that Nintendo thinks their new audience is a blue ocean. Self education and improvement apps are plentiful on the App Store/Google Play. Nintendo brand IP alone won't distinguish their efforts, unless there's a compelling and unified message to the user on how they can truly make themselves better using a Nintendo-designed regiment of apps or ideas.

Even with their proposed QoL agenda, It's sad to see how creatively bankrupt and oblivious Nintendo really is nowadays. There is plenty of opportunity to create new genres of games or even new game concepts, but they're hell bent on rehashing old IP while also being oblivious to the revolution of new concepts by gaming indies, especially on non-Nintendo platforms.

jmizzal

Looks like Nintendo has given up on gaming. As a long-time Nintendo fan, these are sad times.

That being said, I'm very interested to see their lifestyle apps on smart devices. If they leverage their developers correctly, they could create engaging apps with polish and cater to an expanded audience.

The only mistake is that Nintendo thinks their new audience is a blue ocean. Self education and improvement apps are plentiful on the App Store/Google Play. Nintendo brand IP alone won't distinguish their efforts, unless there's a compelling and unified message to the user on how they can truly make themselves better using a Nintendo-designed regiment of apps or ideas.

It's sad to see how creatively bankrupt and oblivious Nintendo really is nowadays. There is plenty of opportunity to create new genres of games or even new game concepts, but they're hell bent on rehashing old IP while also being oblivious to the revolution of new concepts by gaming indies, especially on non-Nintendo platforms.

LOL WUT
Dude they are splitting things up, (Casual, Health,lifestyle stuff), Core gaming Console and Handheld, they are not giving up on gaming, the QOL stuff is another way for them to make money, come on now its not that hard to understand.

They are trying to expand their business, licensing out their IP's, maybe Disney movies? more spin off games, tv shows, comic books, anime's or what ever.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
DS games on the Wii U virtual console sounds good, but how about the N64, GameCube, GBA, more arcade games, etc. etc.?

Zeenbor

LOL WUT
Dude they are splitting things up, (Casual, Health,lifestyle stuff), Core gaming Console and Handheld, they are not giving up on gaming, the QOL stuff is another way for them to make money, come on now its not that hard to understand.

They are trying to expand their business, licensing out their IP's, maybe Disney movies? more spin off games, tv shows, comic books, anime's or what ever.

39.jpg

The fact they're looking another direction with the QoL agenda shows to me that they have given up on trying to innovate on the gaming side. In that slide, they're HOPING that they get some inspiration back to their game platform.

Instead, they're going to whore out their IP in order to leverage their existing assets and make more money. Seems desperate.

Top Bottom