• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stricter region locking quietly implemented on Xbox One?

I'm considering buying an Xbox One because of Titanfall but lately I've been having second thoughts on it because of this article.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/13547-m...one-digital-games-and-dlc-error-code-0x8.html

Microsoft Quietly Region-Lock "Xbox One Digital Games And DLC", Error Code 0x87de07d1 Reported

It seems like Microsoft has quietly made Xbox One digital games "Region-Lock", it was activated last month and the firm also deleted game licenses from gamertags. Now as a result of this new restriction, download keys bough abroad will no longer work, Xbox One players will receive error message along with this code: "0x87de07d1".

Many Xbox One are facing this error code as they try to redeem their digital game codes, here are few complaints of official Xbox forum:

"I am getting the error code 0x87de07d1 on my digital download copy of Forza 5. I have also seen in other posts that at least 2 other people have this error on Dead Rising 3. This is a digital copy of the game that has worked fine for several weeks. It is now acting as though I do not own the game. I have tried turning the system on/off, switching profiles etc but nothing is helping. In the xbox store Forza 5 is displaying the option to buy for £49.99, where it would usually say Play, as I do own the game. I also have a digital copy of FIFA 14 which is working fine, and displays 'play' in the xbox store, this shows that I am definitely logged into my xbox live gold account. Originally, I only owned Forza 5 on disc, but later purchased the digital download version. However, I have only ever owned the digital version of FIFA 14, I have never owned a disc version of FIFA 14, so maybe this has something to do with why FIFA works fine but Forza doesn't."

Another user who contacted Microsoft support has this to say: "There's definitely a region lock on digital downloads in place, whether that be DLC or full games."

"I've got a UK account and bought a digital copy of Forza 5 on ebay, redeemed it and then about 10 days later it wouldn't load, just giving me the option to buy it again.

After over an hour with xbox live support, I was told "For the Xbox One, that is correct. Discs are region free, so it should be that the codes are the same. This is the reason why we are having it being investigated further my friend. It could be an issue somewhere along the way of redeeming the codes, and should be fixed surely, we can assure you of that."

They passed me on to the 'Advocacy' team, who eventually told me "I was able to figure out that the reason you could not redeem your PPC was because it was intended for another country. When redeeming your token there are two things that need to match up. The country listed on the account must match the country that you are connecting from and the token needs to be for the same country as well."

The resulting advice being "I suggest going back to the person you purchased the game from and inform them that the code he provided you was set for a region other than the U.K."

I asked for clarification on region locking on digital game downloads and was advised "All Xbox digital content is region specific. Due to many international and cultural laws, not all content is available everywhere. "

When I pushed and asked how it was possible to redeem a code, only for it to be later disabled, I was unbelievably told "I can honestly say that it may have been a fluke"

... a FLUKE! what a joke. I'm now stuck trying to get a refund for a game code I've already redeemed.

So, the 0x87de07d1 error on purchased digital download game is due to region locking and the code being from a different region"

Are you guys facing this same issue mention above?, let us know in the comment section below.

I play console games in an unsupported country so mostly games here come from grey market imports. Last year when the Xbox One was announced, they said that basically if you were in an unsupported country, your console would not work because it will be unable to connect to Live due to IP / region checking. Eventually I know they overturned that, due to concerns from overseas US soldiers expressing concerns that they can't play when they are in an unsupported country.

Now with this news it seems they are quietly bringing it back, with reports that a digitally downloaded game actually checking where exactly you are playing it. If you aren't in a supported country it will just stop working, even if you bought it legitimately. At least that's how I understand it.

In the comments section of that same post, a guy from Israel says he can't get matchmaking in Killer Instinct to work anymore. This is really unfortunate....the Xbox One is easily available here (along with PS4), though it is more expensive than in the US, but there are still a niche set of players who will buy these. If Xbox Live has these strict restrictions in place, it's really discouraging for players like myself who can't get access to games digitally or to DLC.

EDIT: added thread from Official Xbox Forum talking about this.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/...upport/f/4271/t/1670565.aspx?pi7406=4#4412817

Since the affected seem to be a minority, it isn't really gaining much traction in the news.

EDIT 2: One person so far has confirmed this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102063269&postcount=65 It seems this issue only happens if your Xbox One is in a country where it hasn't released officially yet?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
According to Penello, this wouldn't happen.

It's totally different.

First - all games are WW signed. Not all 360 games are.

Second - The console will work everywhere (keeping in mind Power Supplies)

Third - You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family.

Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards... :)

You will still find that music and video content can be geo-restricted based on licensing. (e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)

Not just music and video content, some games and DLC are too.

Not any more.

It's most probably a mistake/bug. It would be incredibly stupid to silently change this, even retrospectively for already purchased content.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Oh dear, I have bought a few games from the american marketplace but they seem to still work at the moment. I hope when I get home they don't magically stop working!

koutoru

Digital region locking is still region locking.
Better hope this is a bug or else...

Incoming:
jcfz.gif

ekim

Hm... I bought several games through the US store - will try them later today but last Friday they all worked fine. (ACIV, DR3 and NFS:Rivals)

Jesus Christ, fuck that shit all day long. That's terrible!

Region-locking does nothing but screw customers over, but revoking your access to a game after you've bought it in the name of region restrictions is a new low.

I'm really hoping this is just a mistake. I don't have an Xbox One, but that is such a terrible thing to do to your customers, I don't think I could wish that on anyone.

In the event that this is true and they quietly turned on some region locking............................. yikes. Shitstorm incoming (deservedly so).

I am asking my local Xbox community about this to verify if true....but just wondering if there are other out-of-region players out there experiencing anything like what is described in the article here.

Isn't this just about redeeming codes from one region on an account from another? I don't think you've ever been able to do that on any console, and if you could on the One, it probably was a mistake.

ymmv

Banned
According to http://www.gamezone.de/Xbox-One-Kon...ltige-Download-Lizenzen-auf-Xbox-One-1106598/ , this policy has been active since Jan. 18.

50 page thread.

Boy, if they´re really doing that (wouldn´t surprise me), this is going to be an epic shitstorm.

50 page thread.

Boy, if they´re really doing that (wouldn´t surprise me), this is going to be an epic shitstorm.

Particularly because it will hit the most dedicated Xbone fans who have imported their consoles and had no choice but to buy their DLC from a foreign store.

ekim

So it's only for codes, it seems? I bought all my digital games directly on the Xbox... (Switched from German to US Store)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I hate region locking. I fear for it almost every time I buy a game.

And I'm not even trying to get Russian or Asian keys or something. I just want the game in the original language of the developer (if I speak it) without any censoring.
I just want to play a Jew and see Swastikas in South Park in English, man.

By the way, the old XBL (2009-2010) also was bad about region locking. It would only give you the information that you couldn't purchase something in your region after you hit the last confirmation.
So you couldn't test the region lock without risking money.

Radec

I'm curious, why do they double dip on a game ? They already have the retail version then bought the digital version down the line as well.

I don't doubt for a second MS would pull such a move, but I'm still not sure I believe that they actually have.

Could be something else going on here.

According to Penello, this wouldn't happen.

It's most probably a mistake/bug. It would be incredibly stupid to silently change this, even retrospectively for already purchased content.

For clarity's sake, you should point out that these quotes are from last June.

My games work, I bought Ryse and Peggle 2 from the US store and they are fine.

It doesn't appear to be about games already installed it's about redeeming a code purchased from another store and claiming it on your local one, I believe.

My comprehension this morning is off, sick.

ekim

I hate region locking. I fear for it almost every time I buy a game.

And I'm not even trying to get Russian or Asian keys or something. I just want the game in the original language of the developer (if I speak it) without any censoring.

If I want to play a Jew and see Swastikas in South Park then that is my choice. ;-)

Sorry for OT but the German version of SP still has the Jew class.
http://www.schnittberichte.com/news.php?ID=6909

T.O.P

Banned
Bought Crimson Dragon and Rayman Legends from the US store, still working as for today (IT)

@Ah codes? nvm, sold a Fifa14 code to a gaffer at launch, hope there won't be any problems :/

tensuke

That sucks if true. Hopefully it's a bug. But if it's been in place since January, that may not be likely. :/

And everyone wants an all digital future...

Lure them sheeps in first and then squeeze them slowly, because now they don't have an alternative anyway. That's how the corporations see the all digital future, they want to control their content all the way to the customers.

I hope and I think this isn't really MSs new policy, they are in no position to push that way for now, it has to be some explainable error.

If Sony did this, I would lose a shitload of content on my 2 fake accounts and all of the PS+ goodies across 3 different platforms too, consequence for me would be to never ever buy any digital gaming content again or just switching entirely to PC.

ekim

So:
- Games directly bought in a foreign store on Xbox are not affected
- Most affected keys were sold through ebay(?)

Sounds like people getting this error got scammed.

Edit: After reading more recent posts, maybe it is a scam. I sure hope so. I could see how it would be done. Buy digital download coad card at a US brick and mortar, sell code on ebay, then call MS support and claim that your code isn't working. They verify that you bought the code, and deactivate it, giving you a new code. Poor schmuck that bought code on ebay discovers that his download no longer works because MS deactivated it per the scammer's request.

A situation like this wouldn't surprise me in the least. But it still wouldn't surprise me if this was something intentional (or even unintentional based on all the dancing around DRM they've done and bugs that might crop up) on MS's part.

MCD

My biggest fear is IP locking. I fear the day they decide to implement this terrible policy.

We need more evidence to determine if this is actual region locking or just a mistake. I can't believe MS would be that stupid to bring back full digital region locking after all the shit they've tried in the past 12 months. They're completely fucking dead outside NA.

As long as discs are region free then I don't really care.

That being said, content shouldn't be region locked whether it's a download title or disc based.

Edit: That German article seems to lead it all to that one eBay seller. Might be a potential problem.

Top Bottom