• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stricter region locking quietly implemented on Xbox One?

EvB

Bought with credit bought from Amazon.com. Read the thread.

You can buy all sorts if knock offs on amazon, it's barely a cut above ebay now.

I bought a £60 battery for my camera from Amazon and it was fake. Turned out I hadn't bought it from amazon, but from a 3rd party.

Not saying that is the case, but people saying these things provide very limited information about their purchases.

I'm really hoping this isn't true as I stocked up with $125 credit from ebay last week and the thought that I've perhaps been scammed isn't nice.

Derpcrawler

In the same news article there was a claim in the comments about matchmaking in Killer Instinct not working in Israel. Have you tried testing the matchmaking?

It works, it's just extremely picky on latency. I can connect only to people from China/HK/JP who also imported console. Even then lot of the time we get disconnected if there is sudden latency spike. It also takes ages to find someone, even during prime time. Israel is in middle east, so latency to EU is too high, I would expect even less people there to import One than in Asia.

Derpcrawler

Anyway, I am going to sleep soon. Will see if it's just a bug or not, hope it is, since arcade games still work fine.

And no, I didn't buy with stolen card or from shady dealers. Bought prepaid codes from Amazon digital delivery system, in 2 chunks of 100USD.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No problems here yet. I only have a US account and have only ever purchased content for that account but I'm currently living abroad. I'm not changing my account region. If they were to impose this I'd drop the system like a hot rock.

lewisgone

If this isn't a bad mistake then wow. The reason that when I buy a next gen console it's gonna be the PS4 and not the Xbox One is that I don't trust them not to update the console with DRM after that whole E3 mess. "You just have to come online every 24 hours"...I still can't believe they tried that and will never trust them after that. Look at how much the 360 has changed since it's release. It's clear what the end goal for Microsoft is. They'll go as slowly as it takes to avoid significant backlash but they'll get there.

I have a feeling this will be reverted/fixed but if it was implemented on purpose even I didn't think that Microsoft would be dumb enough to start with the restrictions already.

Edit: The more I think about it the angrier I get, because even if this is a glitch/bug - how the hell can it happen? Why does Microsoft have the ability to remotely disable activated games on your console? And why the hell should anyone have faith in purchasing games digitally if this is the case?

statham

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/...upport/f/4271/t/1670565.aspx?pi7406=4#4412817

Since the affected seem to be a minority, it isn't really gaining much traction in the news.

I skim through it and it seems to be people who bought ebay keys and the other ones Microsoft gave a new key or they deleted and reinstalled to make work. Four pages with alot of the same posters for a issue over a month old seems very minor. Microsoft should just bite the bullet and give them new keys.

Toski

Anyway, I am going to sleep soon. Will see if it's just a bug or not, hope it is, since arcade games still work fine.

And no, I didn't buy with stolen card or from shady dealers. Bought prepaid codes from Amazon digital delivery system, in 2 chunks of 100USD.

Odd it effects some users and not others. Maybe a bug due to the February update? Although that shouldn't of effected people on Jan. 18th.

When i see this , i'm not surprised ..they wanted us to believe in a all digital future but offered no garanties.

And this is the result.
Regardless if this the lock is true or not , the fact that it can happen is worrying.

Now we can't even travel with our stuff without problems.

IRQ

Banned
I really hope this isn't true.

No answer from Panello, Specner or Aron yet. Some have tweeted them but no answer.

Septic360

Banned
Lets chill and get official confirmation from Panello and the like after they wake up before readying our pitchforks (too late?).

We're getting conflicting information hence the 'benefit of the doubt'.

Anion

Hmm, I'm going to wait till I hear more news on this to reserve judgement.

But, if this isn't a glitch or some mess up with the keys, the suits at Microsoft are disgusting.

EvB

Why does Microsoft have the ability to remotely disable activated games on your console?

If you've obtained something illegally (intentional or otherwise)

If they want to provide rentals or full game trials.

To issue refunds for digital purchases

To remove access to faulty software whilst is fixed.

There are loads of legitimate reasons for why they would have the facility to do this as part of the infrastructure. Steam has the same functionality to if they choose to flex it. It only becomes a problem if they do it in ways that could be seen as anti -consumer I.e. Removing access to a purchased game because distribution rights have changed or licensed expired.

All the people who grabbed lego Star Wars and strider via the pinning glitch had their access revoked. Has to be better than a ban.

I honestly hope it isn't true. With Titanfall coming (tried it on PC and it was great) I was actually weighing between getting this on PC or on Xbox One. PC doesn't seem to have these issues....matchmaking was literally seconds on that platform. If Xbox is somehow stricter about it, maybe PC is a better option for me.

But I've been a lifelong Xbox fan, so it's a bummer that they're not the way they used to be. Lots of good times on Halo 2, 3, Gears....this game was supposed to be the clincher that would get me to buy one. I'm just having second thoughts....hopefully MS will clarify everything later.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Maybe because there doesn't seem to be any issues. One person reporting issues with one game and the rest seems to be something to do with ebay.

Yeah but thinking about the number of times I've given MS the benefit of the doubt over the last 12 months and they've been as sketchy if not sketchier than originally indicated, I'm not ready to give them that any more

Rey

I bought Killer instinct Ultra ed., Dead Rising 3 and Max directly from the US marketplace sice I'm from a non supported country. If this is true Ill sell my Xbox in a heartbeat. The money will go to a Steam machine in the future.

El-Suave

Same thing happened to me on 360 with some TV show I bought from the US marketplace. Loved the 360 back then. I had just imported a 120GB HDD and couldn't redownload the stuff I bought it for onto it. That was one of the main reasons I jumped off the XBoat.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah but thinking about the number of times I've given MS the benefit of the doubt over the last 12 months and they've been as sketchy if not sketchier than originally indicated, I'm not ready to give them that any more
What do you lose by giving them the benefit of the doubt?

There's no reason not to do it. Its called being reasonable. You may be leaning towards thinking it will get confirmed, whatever, but until it is, there's nothing to gain by automatically jumping to the conclusion this is true unless you're looking for a bash.

They really haven't been sketchy since launch other than PR spinning NPD results.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What do you lose by giving them the benefit of the doubt?

There's no reason not to do it. Its called being reasonable. You may be leaning towards thinking it will get confirmed, whatever, but until it is, there's nothing to gain by automatically jumping to the conclusion this is true unless you're looking for a bash.
Exactly the same argument can be made in reverse. Actually I'd argue it's stronger. If a company is being shady and lame for a year, then it's not unreasonable to assume that their shady, lame behaviour is going to continue.
They really haven't been sketchy since launch other than PR spinning NPD results.

'They haven't been sketchy in like 2 1/2 months!'

Oh okay I guess that's true

(If you ignore the Forza 5 microtransactions/visual downgrades not being mentioned before launch.)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, if this is true I'm never buying an Xbone then. Retail games are crazy expensive in Argentina, so digital is the only way I buy games nowadays (except for those few DS games I import every couple of months). Not being able to buy digital from the Xbone means the console is beyond useless to me.

Illud Vindicare

Neo Member
This is very alarming. They can revert their decision, but they cannot force conqequences for those that did it before the change. If one was able to buy a game on an XBOX ONE store in another country, than they should not block your access after the successful transaction, no matter what.

I'm all digital on the XBOX ONE and just like with Steam I fear the fact that someone or some company has the power stop you access to games bought in years and years of time. I gave the XBOX ONE a lot of credit, but I'm close to selling it, buying a PS4 and stick to retail only and get rid of this "risk" that's over my head, if this thread is true or not.

'They haven't been sketchy in like 2 1/2 months!'

Oh okay I guess that's true

(If you ignore the Forza 5 microtransactions/visual downgrades not being mentioned before launch.)

A. The Forza 5 microtransactions existed to an extent in For a 4 AFAIA

B. Since when would any company be forthright about downgrades? Ubisoft does it all the time without telling people.

C. Those 2.5 months are the entirety of this generation.

Tested with:
DR3
Forza 5
Ryse
FIFA

All start and able to play as usual
I live in Hong Kong which is not supported country currently
Some glitch i guess?

Caayn

Article smells like click-bait to me. Have been using the US marketplace from day one, bought all of my digital games on there, and haven't had any problems whatsoever with it.

OK, so why did they actively encourage gamers to use this to their benefit? (Which I did for every game thus far)

I must have missed something - when did they encourage European (and other expensive region) gamers to buy from the US store? The original used game DRM had region locking like this.

So we have:

Article(s) saying DRM added, proof is people who bought game codes through EBay getting error codes

One poster saying a game he bought through the store not working

A lot of other posters saying all the games they bought are fine

hmm

GHG

Gold Member
Games in America cost $60. Games in Europe cost €70 ($95).

Microsoft wants that extra money.

Its better to get $60 than nothing though right? If you piss off your customers like this then you're likely to never get another penny from them. Then there's the fact that news like this spreads like wildfire and nobody else will want to buy your console. Talk about digging yourself a hole.

At some point, Microsoft need to accept that they cannot control everything. If not they are heading down a very dangerous and dark path.

Illud Vindicare

Neo Member
Games in America cost $60. Games in Europe cost €70 ($95). Microsoft wants that extra money.
Importing retail is no less "cheating economy" than buying on a foreign digital store. If they decide retail games are region free, should should digital games. The issue with this thread is it got mixed, I can see many reasons why Microsoft does not support redeeming codes everywhere, redeeming a code is prone to a lot of abuse and all. The big question is are they locking people that bought the digital games directly on to the XBOX ONE store with a credit card. We need more confirmations on that.

I can confirm - my DR3 Premium Edition I bought from digital store don't work anymore. 79USD down the drain. I am currently in China, imported my Xbone from Amazon. US account, bought prepaid codes for XBL on Amazon, then bought game itself through console. No shady ebay stuff.

Digital was my way to go here, since importing is time consuming and expensive. I guess I will get rid of Xbone while I can and prices are high. No such bullshit on PS4.

So this is a semi-confirmation? It seems that the people who were skiptical about MS going 180 on their terrible policies were right. After this i wouldn't be surprised if MS revert back to their old DRM policy.

A bit hyperbolic but true.

Edit: so some people are not experiencing the issue? MS has some explaining to do.

Seanspeed

Banned
Exactly the same argument can be made in reverse. Actually I'd argue it's stronger. If a company is being shady and lame for a year, then it's not unreasonable to assume that their shady, lame behaviour is going to continue.
Its not unreasonable to assume it *might* be true. But treating it as definitely true without confirmation is not reasonable. Especially when so many people here are saying everything is fine on their end.

I'm guessing you're just upset that more people aren't bashing MS at such a convenient opportunity. Some people have other hobbies, though.

Top Bottom