• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stricter region locking quietly implemented on Xbox One?

Haunted

I, for one, am glad that Microsoft has clearly seen the light and turned around on their proposed anti-consumer DRM schemes. It's a great sign that the company understands the concerns of their customers and I'm sure they have learned their lesson for good.

wait what

GHG

Gold Member
So:
- Games directly bought in a foreign store on Xbox are not affected
- Most affected keys were sold through ebay(?)

Sounds like people getting this error got scammed

Not sure about that. Unless the keys were stolen in the 1st place and then sold on (unlikely).

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Anyone NOT from any of these listed countries experiencing the problem described in the article?

From http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-14-21-launch-countries-listed-for-xbox-one

That list is wrong, Switzerland still doesn't have the Xbox One, at least not officially.

Also i know people who imported it and are using their old xbox live accounts and their "fake" US accounts on it without problems. So far, they haven't had any problem with activating games or DLC codes, both from EU and US.

NewGame

Banned
8VruBcQ.gif

A lovely re-imagining of

360.gif

gogosox8

So they are region locking digital content after it was bought from a store outside of the xbox store? That doesn't really make any sense. If someone bought the codes and didn't redeem it and sold it to someone else and they redeemed it, then the codes should be good since they were bought from ms. It sounds like either the codes were faked or already used or its a bug on MS's part since I don't believe they'd be stupid enough to region lock codes like that.

Derpcrawler

I can confirm - my DR3 Premium Edition I bought from digital store don't work anymore. 79USD down the drain. I am currently in China, imported my Xbone from Amazon. US account, bought prepaid codes for XBL on Amazon, then bought game itself through console. No shady ebay stuff.

Digital was my way to go here, since importing is time consuming and expensive. I guess I will get rid of Xbone while I can and prices are high. No such bullshit on PS4.

I bought in december Ghosts with my US account from Perú but it is a game without region lock, even on 360. I plan to buy Titanfall digital, I will see then because those idiots at EA always enforce region lock.
If it ends up being true, I inmediatly buy a PS4 and forget X1.

Edit: can't find KI matched. Mexico configuration being used from Perú, 200 ms latency.

I can confirm - my DR3 Premium Edition I bought from digital store don't work anymore. 79USD down the drain. I am currently in China, imported my Xbone from Amazon. US account, bought prepaid codes for XBL on Amazon, then bought game itself through console. No shady ebay stuff.

Digital was my way to go here, since importing is time consuming and expensive. I guess I will get rid of Xbone while I can and prices are high. No such bullshit on PS4.

This is what I'm looking for (out of region Xbone owners).

IMHO a legit code is a legit code, they SHOULD let you play the game, especially if you travel around.

sakipon

A lot of people suspected Microsoft would eventually try to go back to their vision of digital future, but this soon? Surprising.

What happens if you unplug your ethernet cable?

Hammer24

Banned
So right now we have problems with:
- codes from an eBay scammer
- digital codes when the box is in a not officially supported region

For the record, my box is in Germany, set to en_US, all games bought digitally from US marketplace, all games work as of right now.

Whelp here we go. I shouldn't have edited my first post. Sounding more and more likely MS is just being arrogant and stupid again.

Vylash

They're essentially nothing outside of NA so I don't see the point, hope it's an error and they're not this dumb

So right now we have problems with:
- codes from an eBay scammer
- digital codes when the box is in a not officially supported region

For the record, my box is in Germany, set to en_US, all games bought digitally from US marketplace, all games work as of right now.

Isn't Germany officially supported by Xbox One? Might explain why there's no issues on your end.

On the other hand, Xbox One has not officially released in China.

I hope Xbox Support can help you out, that's totally messed up since even MS were telling people to import if you weren't in Tier 1.

Really messed up.

Hammer24

Banned
Isn't Germany officially supported by Xbox One? Might explain why there's no issues on your end.

Yes, all true. And that still makes the quote in the OP wrong:
"When redeeming your token there are two things that need to match up. The country listed on the account must match the country that you are connecting from and the token needs to be for the same country as well."

Derpcrawler

I hope Xbox Support can help you out, that's totally messed up since even MS were telling people to import if you weren't in Tier 1.

Really messed up.

Last time I had a problem they told me to fuck off since I am in unsupported region. I won't even bother. I will sell my Xbone if they won't revert this change by the time Titanfall hits.

p3tran

Banned
having bought an xbone on day 1, even though I had to jump hoops to import it (not available in my country, not even a date yet even today)
I think it is redundant to say that all the microsoft xbox top executives confirmations about how xbox one is region free played a very large role in my decision to buy one, and a whole lot of games for it, too.

any change in that -region free- status that is not caused by a temporary bug or something, it seriously changes the terms that where offered to me in order to buy one back then.

Yes, all true. And that still makes the quote in the OP wrong:
"When redeeming your token there are two things that need to match up. The country listed on the account must match the country that you are connecting from and the token needs to be for the same country as well."

That quote is from an Xbox employee, pretty sure after checking the OP.

Ade

For what its worth, UK Account, UK Xbox One, UK Billing Profile AND a FR Billing Profile.

Months ago I set my Xbox One to France, to use 40€ that was sat on my account for some reason, bought Angry Birds Star Wars, switched the console back to the UK.

Angry Birds Star Wars still works fine here.

MCD

I am not in one of the supported countries of Xbox One (and for that matter, the X360) and just tried all the games that I bought digitally from the US store and they all work fine.

No issue on my end. Not yet anyway.

I will see if this changes with Titanfall perhaps.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

What error code do you get when you try to play it, same one? You bought this game digitally from the US store?

Derpcrawler

Is this not related to all of the stolen redeem codes that ended up in circulation?

I didn't use any promo code for DR3, bought it directly from XBL. Doesn't work now.

I have few digital games. DR3 is the only retail release, other are "arcade" and they STILL work:

LocoCycle
Max
KI: Ultimate Edition
Peggle 2

I puchased Strider digitally from the US store Saturday evening and it's working just fine. (Thoroughly enjoying the game too!)

MCD

I didn't use any promo code for DR3, bought it directly from XBL. Doesn't work now.

I have dew digital games. DR3 is the only retail release, other are "arcade" and they STILL work:

LocoCycle
Max
Peggle 2

Strange. My Dead Rising is the regular digital edition so maybe something got fucked up with the Premium one?

I have few digital games. DR3 is the only retail release, other are "arcade" and they STILL work:

LocoCycle
Max
Peggle 2

In the same news article there was a claim in the comments about matchmaking in Killer Instinct not working in Israel. Have you tried testing the matchmaking?

Top Bottom