• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Windows applications running on the Xbox

Tomcat

2014-04-01_22-45-35.jpg

They just announced it

http://live.theverge.com/microsoft-build-2014-live-blog/

Dragon

Banned
"If you're going to put an application on the Xbox, you can't just make it work with the controller you have to think about Kinect."

post-29407-nope-button-reaction-gif-tumbl-VuvC.gif

What is an "Universal Windows Application"

Is it anything that runs on desktop, or just apps in their App Store (AKA Nothing of worth).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What is an "Universal Windows Application"

Is it anything that runs on desktop, or just apps in their App Store (AKA Nothing of worth).

Not desktop apps. It will be Metro apps which will now also work on the Windows Phone.

Arent there tons of Nintendo/Sega retro Emulators in the app store????

This will be interesting.

How would you even get roms into the Xbox One though?

"If you're going to put an application on the Xbox, you can't just make it work with the controller you have to think about Kinect."

I think its a fair point, I really like Kinect voice controls (I dont use any gesture stuff) and if they can get developers to integrate it on their apps its certainly something they should do

mcrommert

Banned
Once again i must ask microsoft...why didn't you say this was coming 3 months ago...would have completely changed the sales of xbox

nillapuddin

If SnesX gets ported, this is bomba of the forevers.

Oh yeah Sony, you might have 32 ROPS...

But do you have 32 BITS!!

MaulerX

Arent there tons of Nintendo/Sega retro Emulators in the app store????

This will be interesting.

How would you even get roms into the Xbox One though?

And this is why this it's a megaton. The way you currently do it on Windows Phone is to access them via Onedrive (formerly Skydrive).

jelly

Why would it come down? This is another reason to keep it up...either way i don't personally care but it will be a big deal for others.

If everything is the similar across platforms the ugly duckling Xbox with a pay wall looks ridiculous. Unify everything but you have to pay for IE on Xbox, say what ?

There is nothing wrong with paying for dedicated servers etc. but the other stuff jog on Microsoft.

Arklite

Like the mail and calendar things? I don't get it. Only thing that seems useful is skydrive, which I imagine it can already synch to.

All they have to do is recompile for xbox...no extra coding (though they can)...game over playstation :)

Why would it come down? This is another reason to keep it up...either way i don't personally care but it will be a big deal for others.

Once again i must ask microsoft...why didn't you say this was coming 3 months ago...would have completely changed the sales of xbox

the combo'd post makes me believe this is sarcasm

Edit: unless you believe Khan Academy is a killer app for a gaming console

There is no way Nintendo is gonna let them put SNES/GBA emulators to be able to play in the Xbox One.

This development will make Microsoft clamp down on stuff like that in their store like Apple does with iOS.

If this means my GF can have OutColdPlayer streaming our Google Music collection on the TV via the 360, she's gonna lose her shit.

MrMephistoX

No kidding...on a side note I will seriously consider getting a Nokia after my iphone contract's up in January if this spurs app development.

No i'm not...this is a major addition to the value of the xbox one...why wouldn't they mention it

What value? WP8 is not the highest selling, app heavy, platform on any chart. Apple and Google still runs this show. Google announcing universal Apps on Chrome is bigger than this. This is amazing for WP8 and W8 users but if you are not apart of the Windows ecosystem.. This doesn't benefit you at all.

This is bigger news for the Windows Store then the Xbox IMO.

That thing is dead. If some xbox apps and games can fold back onto it then thats something....

Krakn3Dfx

All they have to do is recompile for xbox...no extra coding (though they can)...game over playstation :)

Yeah, because the Windows App Store is a treasure trove of quality applications. I'm sure Sony is freaking out, now people can play Dots on their XB1.

Is it locked behind a Gold sub?

Top Bottom