• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Windows applications running on the Xbox

I thought it was a photoshop but MS just gave everyone there a free XBO and $500 credit towards other windows devices.

I saw the free XB1 announcements for the audience but $500 credit as well towards other windows devices?

Amazon just got out Oprahed by MS

HooYaH

thats incredibly short sighted. It allows devs to build any app thats on windows and release it on xbox one.

Plex, hbo go, whatever a dev wants to make, itll be able to run on xbox one if it runs on windows 8. from my understanding.

That app store might not be huge now but it just got a big incentive to grow.

The Windows ecosystem is way different from a closed system ala Xbox and PS. Do you think we'll get those Mario spinoffs on Win8 Appstore on Xbox?

"If you're going to put an application on the Xbox, you can't just make it work with the controller you have to think about Kinect."

post-29407-nope-button-reaction-gif-tumbl-VuvC.gif

They showed kinect support being added automatically without any work required from the developer.

i dont get the point of this, who the hell would want to use apps like office on their xbox? everyone has a laptop/pc/tablet. it could lead to some nice apps being produced for x1 but nothing game changing like a lot of people in here think. but this is gaff, i remember the 'vita tv is taking over the world' reaction after its announcement, god that thread is a treasure trove

You're definitely not seeing the big picture - imagine the same game you buy on your Win8 PC also working your phone and your Xbox - or vice versa and so on. Plex for Windows 8? Also Plex for XBox and Plex for Phone all at once. It's potentially huge.

Freeman

Banned
Hopefully this forces all consoles to be more open, but I don't like Metro on PC and I hope they get rid of it.

Well, this is interesting, and I think it'll help out quite a bit on all fronts. Making one app to go from Xbone to Windows 8 to Windows Phone is sure to increase the general availability of apps on each platform.

shandy706

I saw the free XB1 announcements for the audience but $500 credit as well towards other windows devices?

Amazon just got out Oprahed by MS

Haha...

Amazon - "Here's $140 in free hardware!"

Microsoft - "£^$& it! $1k worth of prizes for everyone!"

Wish I were at either conference :(

The caveat here is that no one makes Windows 8 or mobile apps. The 360 honestly has a superior app ecosystem.

*proud owner of a Windows 8.1 tablet.

0xCA2

This is what I hoped they'd announce almost a year ago now when they were focused on tv

This along with every console as devkit seem interesting from a hobbyist developer standpoint.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
... it could lead to some nice apps being produced for x1 but nothing game changing like a lot of people in here think. but this is gaff...

Because it also could lead to many nice apps each with potential to be very helpful and welcome additions to the Xbox One? Is that not better than how it is currently? I'm sure there are many thinking up or have already been working on things for awhile now. It's still great to many even if you never see a reason to like it yourself.

The Windows ecosystem is way different from a closed system ala Xbox and PS. Do you think we'll get those Mario spinoffs on Win8 Appstore on Xbox?

Is that what people are excited for? Emulators?

Im more excited for the fact that services i use (plex, spotify, etc) can easily port apps to xbox one and have them work.

Kinect is great....when it works. Might get some better use with devs able to access some of its features and tailor it to its strengths.

Especially if its integrated in the bing search xbox one has. Kinect has impressed me most when I can use natural language and just say "show me sci fi action movies from the 80s" and it gets it all correct. I just NEVER use that feature cause...who uses xbox video?

If that search was implemented in something like plex, pretty cool. Who knows if it will. Itd just be nice if everything i enjoy using on other devices was now possible on xbox one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Perhaps I'm misreading this, but as far as I can tell there is no automatic compatibility with existing apps - be they RT, Metro, whatever - as seems to be suggested in some of the posts here.

This is a new framework. Devs will have to build their app to specifically support each of the target devices, then that app will be a 'universal' Windows app.

Obviously devs who have a RT or Metro app already out there have a headstart, and making their app universal may be relatively straight forward. But this doesn't automatically open Xbox to existing apps.

I know it would have been less straight forward, but I figured they were going to allow more or less all touch windows apps on Xbox with a Kinect 'touch emulation' layer. That would have automagically brought existing apps to Xbox.

Also noteworthy is that devs can choose to charge you separately for each version of the app. So it won't necessarily be 'buy once, use anywhere'.

Is that what people are excited for? Emulators?

Im more excited for the fact that services i use (plex, spotify, etc) can easily port apps to xbox one and have them work.

Kinect is great....when it works. Might get some better use with devs able to access some of its features and tailor it to its strengths.

Especially if its integrated in the bing search xbox one has. Kinect has impressed me most when I can use natural language and just say "show me sci fi action movies from the 80s" and it gets it all correct. I just NEVER use that feature cause...who uses xbox video?

If that search was implemented in something like plex, pretty cool. Who knows if it will. Itd just be nice if everything i enjoy using on other devices was now possible on xbox one.
They showed basically that on wp8.1 using Cortana, integrating with 3rd party apps too.

And if the rumors are true, it's just a matter of when Cortana hits the xbone.

As pumped as i am they havent said squat about cert and how thatll work so who knows if half the cool possibilities will even reach xbox one.

Perhaps I'm misreading this, but as far as I can tell there is no automatic compatibility with existing apps - be they RT, Metro, whatever - as seems to be suggested in some of the posts here.

This is a new framework. Devs will have to build their app to specifically support each of the target devices, then that app will be a 'universal' Windows app.

The slide they put up had WinRT underpinning it all. WinRT is the runtime and API already powering all Windows 8 store apps (i.e. full fat Windows 8 or Windows RT).. so yeah. Compatibility is there, looks like it should just be a recompile.

MaulerX

Obviously devs who have a RT or Metro app already out there have a headstart, and making their app universal may be relatively straight forward. But this doesn't automatically open Xbox to existing apps.

I know it would have been less straight forward, but I figured they were going to allow more or less all touch windows apps on Xbox with a Kinect 'touch emulation' layer. That would have automagically brought existing apps to Xbox.

Also noteworthy is that devs can choose to charge you differently for each version of the app.

No. Are you watching the conference?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What value? WP8 is not the highest selling, app heavy, platform on any chart. Apple and Google still runs this show. Google announcing universal Apps on Chrome is bigger than this. This is amazing for WP8 and W8 users but if you are not apart of the Windows ecosystem.. This doesn't benefit you at all.

The big thing isn't having one app hat runs across multiple platforms.

The big things are
- devs can easily get their metro apps onto Xbox and windows phone (good message for devs to encourage them onto that platform. Limited marketshare x 3 platforms gets to a big enough number to be interesting)

- Xbox 1 gets access to Apps. this is potentially massive. If they get plex on there, and I can launch it while watching TV with 'Xbox, go to plex', then I will throw my money at MS. It is potentially a gamechanger for Xbox IMO. The key will be making sure there is a decent number of apps available that people want, and ideally integrated with kinect voice at least.

This is the home console equivalent of when apple announced an App Store for iPhone. Simple on the face of it, but with potentially huge potential

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
But wait. I love this announcement. I've been waiting for it to happen ever since it was revealed. But I just came to the same conclusion, again, that I always come to. What do I do on my computer? Browse the Web, play games, watch mkv's, and video and sound edit. It's little more than more convenience than a Megaton every time I think about it. But I reckon that there's people that aren't in my situation and all those things are ideally now doable on the Xbox.

Does the Xbox One do mouse and keyboard?

Top Bottom