• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ONM: Sonic Boom New Info (Wii U/3DS)

Volotaire

While the gameplay shown so far doesn't look exactly like any one Sonic game, it conjures up memories of two of the strongest titles from the 'hog's recent past: Sonic Adventure for its diverse ground-burrowing, monkey swinging, tail-propelling, multi-character gameplay and Sonic Heroes for the fact that several characters are on-screen at the same time and must be used together to progress. Quite how you'll switch between them remains to be seen, but the three-character mechanic of Sonic Heroes was one of that game's greatest strengths, resulting in impressive and devastating displays of spiny attacks at a moment's notice. It's probably no coincidence that both those games appeared on GameCube; this is a Nintendo fan's Sonic title and no mistake.

Interestingly, it's not the standard version of CryEngine 3 used here, but one that has been enhanced by the team. According to Rafei, the technology's usual spec can't traditionally do split-screen gaming, yet Sonic Boom will feature a twin split-screen display, one on the TV screen and the other on the GamePad. "We worked in close contact with [CryEngine creator] Crytek in Germany," explains Rafei, "and the team there is pretty excited about that as well. In the end, it was simply the right choice for the project."

screenshot_63317_thumb_wide610.jpg
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/57651/previews/sonic-boom-preview/

More at the link

EDIT: It's not so much new info (most of that is on page 2), but a reiteration of past information. I have no clue why they're calling it a preview. Some interesting stuff on the engine.

Knuckles must've broken his ankle delivering that punch.

I remember playing Sonic Heroes back in the day and really hating it. Is it widely regarded as a 'good' Sonic game?

When compared to any of the Sonic Adventures: No. It felt like Knuckles Chaotix to SA's Sonic 3&K.

When compared to any 3D Sonic afterwards and what many youngsters have had to grow up on: Yes

Kura

Banned
I remember playing Sonic Heroes on PC... and it was fucking amazing.
Yes, Sonic Heroes will not be the best Sonic game, but as a platformer, it rocks hard.

If WiiU is rendering two versions of Cryengine 3 at once (one on the TV and one on the Gamepad) then I think people will have to stop talking shit about it's power.

Village

Sonic Heroes was the best Sonic game that gen. After replaying SA2, I see all the flaws I didn't see back when I first plays it. SH still holds up pretty well.

I put sonic heroes below 06, I find it to have no redeeming qualities whatso ever.

And this game being compared to that does not give me hope.

At best it can be Ratchet and Clank the 4 player one.

At worst it can be sonic heroes.

Thats what i am getting from is being told to me though media.

Whatever level of quality it reaches, it'll be fairly different from a game like Lost World or Colors. Like, not very similar at all. Boom looks like a mix of the major PlayStation-platform mascot platformers, which doesn't scream Sonic Team to me.

While the gameplay shown so far doesn't look exactly like any one Sonic game, it conjures up memories of two of the strongest titles from the 'hog's recent past: Sonic Adventure for its diverse ground-burrowing, monkey swinging, tail-propelling, multi-character gameplay and Sonic Heroes for the fact that several characters are on-screen at the same time and must be used together to progress. Quite how you'll switch between them remains to be seen, but the three-character mechanic of Sonic Heroes was one of that game's greatest strengths, resulting in impressive and devastating displays of spiny attacks at a moment's notice. It's probably no coincidence that both those games appeared on GameCube; this is a Nintendo fan's Sonic title and no mistake.

Interestingly, it's not the standard version of CryEngine 3 used here, but one that has been enhanced by the team. According to Rafei, the technology's usual spec can't traditionally do split-screen gaming, yet Sonic Boom will feature a twin split-screen display, one on the TV screen and the other on the GamePad. "We worked in close contact with [CryEngine creator] Crytek in Germany," explains Rafei, "and the team there is pretty excited about that as well. In the end, it was simply the right choice for the project."

The bolded part kind of scares me. Sonic Heroes was mediocre, and Adventure was pretty much like a better version of Sonic '06. At least the first one anyways. The second one has some really bad issues, but it holds up much better than 1 does.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I never played Sonic Heroes, but I played through Sonic Adventure last summer and it was complete trash.

Hoping this turns out more like the quality of Colors/Generations.

Timu

I put sonic heroes below 06, I find it to have no redeeming qualities whatso ever.
Sonic Heroes at least works and controls better as Sonic 06 is broken as hell and so glitchy it amazes me how they were able to release it in the state it was.

KJRS_1993

I think a lot of people looking at this game are going to be terribly disappointed.
There's been such a long string of mediocre games, why do people still give this franchise a free pass and an extra attempt at relevance? :(

andymcc

Banned
I sorta like the daytime stages of Unleashed and had fun with Colors and Generations.

I really don't think this game will even be as good as those.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Still cautiously optimistic. If it's as good as Sonic Heroes, I'll call it a win.

As would I. I hope it turns out well - and that the studio concentrates on what they did well in the past (Jak 1) and not what they absolutely butchered (Jak II and 3).

Zalman

Setting my expectations low, but I'm down for this if it turns out to be good. It's going to be interesting with a new developer this time around.

Riki

I sorta like the daytime stages of Unleashed and had fun with Colors and Generations.

I really don't think this game will even be as good as those.
I don't know why people are really judging this game based on past Sonic games.
It's being made by a team filled with proven platformer makers.

Boogiepop

Shadow was Way better than that game

That game was way worse than 06.

Sonic boom not looking good.

You're crazy man, Shadow the Hedgehog is ungodly levels of broken and poorly thought out in ways that exceed 06, and I consider it the worse game. Heroes meanwhile is IMO closest to a good 3D Sonic game they got before Unleashed (though the glitches and a number of super janky elements and poor decisions drag it down to absolute garbage tier, I feel like it may have actually been decent with some more polish).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't know why people are really judging this game based on past Sonic games.
It's being made by a team filled with proven platformer makers.

Proven just by one game, Jak & Daxter, but also put seriously in doubt by what came after that... Jak 3 in particular is one obscure abomination.

VLiberty

I think I'll just have to deal with Sonic threads being flooded by people shitting on 3D Sonics like it's still 2006.

However, I'm hyped for both versions, but I'm not too excited at the "several characters are on-screen at the same time". I feel that they're trying to do something more in the vein of R&C All 4 One, which is not actually bad, but I hoped for something more in the vein of Jak/Classic R&C.

Pretty curious about the 3DS version. Sanzaru has my trust and I don't think they'll go for the multi-character route on a handheld. So it's basically my most anticipated 3DS game of the year even though we still haven't seen anything lol

I think a lot of people looking at this game are going to be terribly disappointed.
There's been such a long string of mediocre games, why do people still give this franchise a free pass and an extra attempt at relevance? :(

Hopes are buoyed by the fact that the Graphic Designers from Jak and Daxter, the script writer from Uncharted, and the animator from Spyro and Resistance are working on the game.

and Sonic can't really go any lower. At least the guys from Big Red button have worked on big title games, even if their roles aren't exactly "Level Design" or anything like that

Top Bottom