• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game will sell more lifetime units: Mario Kart 8 or Titanfall?

Phediuk

These being the big flagship games for the first half of 2014 for their respective platforms.

Your thoughts?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Mario Kart 8 will sell over 2 million by the end of the year

Darksol

Tiranfall, on account of it being on three SKUs.

A more interesting question. Which will sell more: Titanfall only on Xbox One or Mario Kart 8 on Wii U?

The Cowboy

I'd say Titanfall will easily sell more (more platforms), but in a year I'd bet Mario Kart 8 will have more players.

MilesTeg

Banned
I'll say MK8 simply because it will likely be bundled for a very long time. By Titanfall 2 the first will be irrelevant, and even by this holiday season the game will be irrelevant.

Lol. Ones on a single platform that has no end to the amount of problems it has and the other is on 3 platforms. There are 80 million 360s alone. Just my sheer numbers Titanfall would win.

Doesn't mean either isn't a good game and I don't get the comparison.

Wiz

Mario Kart 8 will sell decently for the next few years.

Titanfall will get a sequel which will cannibalize the firsts sales.

Provided the Wii U remains relevant/for sale for at least a few more years then MK8 for sure. Titanfall already is tailing off in sales and it's not the type of game that is going to continue to sell for a long time, especially once a sequel/new hyped up FPS is released.

Gut tells me MK, since the series traditionally has long legs, but WiiU's pathetic install base and minimal momentum probably won't allow it.

liquidtmd

Banned
Titanfall, as stated above only due to being cross-plat.

The Mario Kart - Wii U owner attach rate will be 70% + I reckon by the end of its life.

Titanfall.

The console it was primarily released for will have sold enough units to facilitate this. The ability for Nintendo's evergreen titles to sell big numbers infinitely is limited by the paltry sales of the Wii U (and is not an indictment on the game's quality or the IP's relevance).

I'll say MK8 simply because it will likely be bundled for a very long time. By Titanfall 2 the first will be irrelevant, and even by this holiday season the game will be irrelevant.

I think this is the thing... Titanfall will have a short term advantage, but it has zero staying power. Mario Kart will inevitably be a tie in from now till the end of the Wii U (and beyond if MK for Wii is any indication). I fully except in a couple years time MK8 will not only have beaten TF's LTD, but beaten it very very handily.

Evenflow

MK8 will still be selling 5 years from now. We will be on Titanfall 3 or 4 by then. Hell I'd wager MK8 will possibly have a higher Ltd than ANY game realesed this year when all is said and done.

I don't know if it's a fair question or not because of the sales disparity between PCs, Xbox One and Xbox 360 vs Wii U. We all know Wii U hasn't performed well so it's pretty hard to compare numbers here.

It's safe to say Mario Kart 8 will sell well but with 20% or more of Wii U owners get it? What percentage of One and 360 owners picked up Titanfall? Getting numbers like that for PC is nigh impossible.

Lifetime? MK8.

Don't underestimate the power of Mario Kart. Even on a dying platform.

People are already like "Titanfall? Oh yeah, I remember that". It didn't become what it was supposed to be.

esterk

Depends on whether the next Nintendo home console is backward compatible.

I'll bet on Mario kart 8 though, seeing as once titanfall 2 comes out the sales on the first one will hardly progress. Mario kart 9 won't be out for a much longer time, possibly not even until the next console, so people will keep picking 8 up.

BM8

Neo Member
For a fair comparison.

xb1 vs wii u, itll be MK8.

Titanfall just doesnt have the same widespread appeal.

Lifetime: MK8. Probably will sell close to 2 million by the end of the year.
if including all the platforms, Titanfall probably wins out 2014 and maybe 2015

RiggyRob

Mario Kart 8. Dem legs will be stretched.

Not to mention even the merest hint of a Titanfall sequel will kill its long-term sales.

Chindogg

Initially I'd say Titanfall just because of the three platforms, but it appears that game is starting to peter out in popularity. MK8 meanwhile will have legs for months, if not years.

Guess we'll see.

Top Bottom