• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game will sell more lifetime units: Mario Kart 8 or Titanfall?

Gartooth

TitanFall wins, even if we're comparing MK8 against the Xbox One SKU. Its my assumption that Xbox users buy more software than their Nintendo counterparts, so I'd wager a larger percentage of the Xbox One user base will buy TitanFall as opposed Wii U users buying MK8. Granted if there is one game to get an insane attach rate on Wii U then it is MK8.

baconcow

I think Mario Kart 8. Based on Video Game Sales Wiki, which provides absolutely no sources:

Sales in millions:

Super Mario Kart - 8.76
Mario Kart 64 - 9.87
Mario Kart: Super Circuit - 5.47
Mario Kart: Double Dash! - 6.95
Mario Kart DS - 23.56
Mario Kart Wii - 35.53
Mario Kart 7 - 9.62

Even the bad one (DD) sold well. Titanfall will not likely sell this well. Mario Kart games have always had great sales momentum.

Joni

Titanfall is on three platforms, but do two of those platforms really matter? The Xbox 360 version got outsold by the Xbox One version in its launch month. I don't know which will sell the best, but I think the platform advantage of the Titanfall is overrated.

Hard decision tbh. Mario Kart does incredibly well but the Wii-U is pretty lacking and I want it to be a mega seller. Probably Titanfall though in the long run.

MilesTeg

Banned
TitanFall wins, even if we're comparing MK8 against the Xbox One SKU. Its my assumption that Xbox users buy more software than their Nintendo counterparts, so I'd wager a larger percentage of the Xbox One user base will buy TitanFall as opposed Wii U users buying MK8.

Titanfall is dead once Destiny, CoD 2014, and BF 2014 hit.

I think 3 million would be possible. SM3DW, Nintendo Land, and NSMBU have sold 2, 3, and 4 million copies respectively thus far.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html

The Wii U install base continues to grow (albeit slowly) so it should at the very least have the best debut on the system up to this point. Smash will grow the install base further. The Wii U should easily have it's best year (and holiday season) this year, though that's not saying much.

When all is said and done, I think it's very likely that MK 8 will reach sales of 5-6 million. That's still really bad by historic standards for the series but I think that's realistic given the Wii U's install base and the people who buy it. I mean, why would anyone buy the system but skip MK8 (or Smash).

I have a wii u and I am skipping smash

I would also not pay any attention to mk8 as I have disliked the series forever, but my wife likes it and I get a decent free game(zelda) out of it. That's the only reason im going to bother

Daemul

I never thought that I would see something more redundant than the "Which will sell more, Titanfall or Dark Souls 2?" thread, but I was wrong.

Meier

Mario Kart 8. Titanfall will end up having a sequel fairly quickly since it has done moderately disappointing sales-wise. MK8 will sell for years and years.

phanphare

Banned
TitanFall wins, even if we're comparing MK8 against the Xbox One SKU. Its my assumption that Xbox users buy more software than their Nintendo counterparts, so I'd wager a larger percentage of the Xbox One user base will buy TitanFall as opposed Wii U users buying MK8. Granted if there is one game to get an insane attach rate on Wii U then it is MK8.

lol

if it's just the X1 SKU vs. Mario Kart 8 then Mario Kart 8 wins in a fucking landslide

Tiranfall, on account of it being on three SKUs.

A more interesting question. Which will sell more: Titanfall only on Xbox One or Mario Kart 8 on Wii U?

Hmmmm.....

I think everyone who owns a WiiU is buying MK8.

Not everyone who owns a XB1 is buying Titanfall.

MK8 might also help move more WiiUs.

I'm going to say MK8 will edge out TF on the XB1. But across ALL platforms, TF will win.

Daemul

Mario Kart 8. Titanfall will end up having a sequel fairly quickly since it has done moderately disappointing sales-wise. MK8 will sell for years and years.

This would imply that the Wii U will still be around years and years from now.

KHlover

Banned
There's no way that's true.
I got this info from a GameStop employee. Checks out, too. First tried to buy MK8 1pm today, GameStop denied me (game was already on display) and told me they awaited a call from Nintendo to give them the permission. Came back 5pm, game was sold.

A Saturn where I tried to buy the game earlier also already had them game, but no permission from Nintendo to sell early yet.

You can buy MK8 in just about all stores of all big retail chains in Germany right now, they'd get fined to hell if they did this without Nintendo's permission.

Banned
Unless the Wii u gets cancelled tomorrow, MK8 will surpass it on 2 or 3 months and will win lifetime.

bounchfx

MK8 without question. Not sure how people think otherwise, especially since TF is already kind of dying out and EA has been hesitant to even share numbers

I guess if we are to assume Nintendo will no longer be selling anymore Wii U units, then yeah, Titanfall, but Mario Kart will help move more systems, as will Smash Bros when it releases at the end of the year. No doubt a high percentage of both current and future Wii U owners will pick up Mario Kart, even if the lifetime console sales cap out at 12 to 15 million units, most of those will be attached to a Mario Kart sale, so I think it's more likely that game will come out as the victor in a MK8 vs Titanfall scenario. We'll see though.

viveks86

Titanfall. This is a no contest. As much as I like MK, it doesn't have a big enough install base to sell to.

EDIT: But then, Titanfall hasn't done the kind of numbers it was expected to do. So the answer may not be as easy as I originally thought. Hmmmm...

Gartooth

lol

if it's just the X1 SKU vs. Mario Kart 8 then Mario Kart 8 wins in a fucking landslide

Changed my mind on that, was thinking that TitanFall's legs would carry it through the holiday combined with the Xbox price cut, but that won't happen thanks to competition and a possible sequel announcement killing its legs.

atr0cious

So Titanfall is already selling so great across those vaunted three platforms, that they can't even post numbers about it, and weaker franchises such NSMBU and 3D world have probably already sold as much if not more than Titanfall at least on Xbone, on a smaller base. How hard is it to imagine Mario Kart, won't atleast do 4M, which with fall competition in Destiny and Battlefield:Manning is looking highly unlikely for Titanfall?

gngf123

MK8 will easily beat Titanfall's XB1 sales. Absolutely no contest.

Factoring in all platforms, I think it will be close. Maybe TF will win but I doubt it will be by much.

Majukun

hmm..difficult to say...mario kart is on a console that it's basically already dead..but titanfall will probably be soon replaced by a sequel so it will have less time on the shelves

my 2 cents are on titanfall though

I'm going to subscribe to this thread... because I can't help like feel in a couple years, it's going to be one of those threads that are super fun to look back on.

Gartooth

Titanfall Xbox One figures (NPD only): 1.1 million (March)+140k (April)=1240k total
in case anyone was wondering

Ouch... didn't hear about its sales in April. (I was thinking that the game at least sold over 2 million by now) ...yeah I'm doing a complete 180 on my prediction and guessing that MK8 will outsell it.

Top Bottom