• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game will sell more lifetime units: Mario Kart 8 or Titanfall?

Rembrandt

Banned
Mario Kart 8 will

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html

My evidence to back this up. If Super Mario 3D World can do 2.17 million, then I expect Mario Kart 8 to do more.

But we may never know, since EA won't release sales. :D

Titanfall sold almost a million copies in its first month on XB1/PC. I'm sure it sold another million on 360 alone when that launched. It'll be interesting. Mario Kart is on a stagnant console while Titanfall will probably stay selling well until CoD/BF/Destiny comes out, then they'll probably drop significantly.

MK8 will still be selling 5 years from now. We will be on Titanfall 3 or 4 by then. Hell I'd wager MK8 will possibly have a higher Ltd than ANY game realesed this year when all is said and done.

I'll bet both FIFA 15 and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare will sell more
might as well mail me the check now

Tom_Cody

Mario Kart 8 will sell over 2 million by the end of the year
I think 3 million would be possible. SM3DW, Nintendo Land, and NSMBU have sold 2, 3, and 4 million copies respectively thus far.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html

The Wii U install base continues to grow (albeit slowly) so it should at the very least have the best debut on the system up to this point. Smash will grow the install base further. The Wii U should easily have it's best year (and holiday season) this year, though that's not saying much.

When all is said and done, I think it's very likely that MK 8 will reach sales of 5-6 million. That's still really bad by historic standards for the series but I think that's realistic given the Wii U's install base and the people who buy it. I mean, why would anyone buy the system but skip MK8 (or Smash).

danmaku

If Respawn keeps supporting the game (patches, DLCs) Titanfall might sell more, but I doubt it. If they go straight for the sequel, MK8 will win easily, even on WiiU. FPS games have much more competition and tend to die fast, MK8 will keep selling until Nintendo releases their new console.

The Llama

you mean "hype"?

Believe me, I've been pushing the "TF hype was manufactured" narrative for a long time. But the hype it did have is still greater than the MK hype IMO. Honestly don't know anyone outside of gaf who is excited for MK. Then again I don't think I know any Wii U owners. And legs? Eh. Most people I know who like MK still play the N64 MK, don't think they'll bother upgrading. Who knows though.

Gray Matter

The next Mario kart will come later rather than sooner, so people will keep buying MK8.

The opposite goes to Titanfall.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Mariokart because there will only be one ever made for Wii U.
Titanfall will only go so far before an inevitable sequel takes over.

phanphare

Banned
Believe me, I've been pushing the "TF hype was manufactured" narrative for a long time. But the hype it did have is still greater than the MK hype IMO. Honestly don't know anyone outside of gaf who is excited for MK. Then again I don't think I know any Wii U owners. And legs? Eh. Most people I know who like MK still play the N64 MK, don't think they'll bother upgrading. Who knows though.

lol, this post is hilarious

you're not serious are you? Mario Kart 64?

Koppai

Unless Mario Kart gets more people to buy more Wii U's I'm thinking Titanfall has a fair chance. It will probably become a bundle pack in at Christmas.

MK 8 is going to have a ridiculous attach rate, but will still probably fall short of Titanfall totals across all platforms. We'll see though.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
this isnt a serious post is it

As much as I hate to admit, I'm leaning a little towards Titanfall. It has three install bases to support it. As well as Mario Kart usually sells, it's coming out on a single, poorly-selling system.

MilesTeg

Banned

And people who like FPS will just keep playing Goldeneye. Come on man. If that anecdotal evidence held any water whatsoever, MKWii wouldn't be one of the best selling games of all time.

Unless Mario Kart gets more people to buy more Wii U's I'm thinking Titanfall has a fair chance. It will probably become a bundle pack in at Christmas.

Mario-Kart-8-Bundle-Wii-U.jpg

The best-selling Mario Kart to date was Mario Kart Wii. To put that into perspective, Grand Theft Auto V still hasn't sold quite as many copies, although it's close.

Rembrandt

Banned
And people who like FPS will just keep playing Goldeneye. Come on man. If that anecdotal evidence held any water whatsoever, MKWii wouldn't be one of the best selling games of all time.

yeah, but it was also on the best selling console of all time, too. Double Dash did under 4 million. I expect MK8 to do the same or hit 5 mil, possibly when Smash hits.

KHlover

Banned
The demand for MK8 is so big that Nintendo allows retailers to break street date. The hype is plenty.

LTWood12

I'll go with Mario Kart 8. The # of SKUs and install base that Titanfall is available on doesn't automatically mean it'll sell more. If you'd asked me in February, I'd have said Titanfall. I don't know the #s, but the prevailing narrative is that it underperformed, even with 2 months straight at the top of the NPD.

Mario Kart 8 SHOULD have a crazy good attach rate out of the gate, and like others are saying, it will probably have a long tail.

There's a new console Mario Kart game once every 3 years, and Titanfall is very likely to become a serialized shooter, I'd lean Mario Kart 8 > Titanfall X1. Mario Kart should be a much bigger release: Mario is the most recognizable mascot in gaming, Mario Kart is one of the most recognizable and well known series in video game history. Contrast this with Titanfall, a new IP in an industry where new IPs do not sell as well as recognizeable names.

If Nintendo hits projections and sells another 3mil units between now and March 2015 (a tall task, but hypothetically), you're looking at about 9-10mil total Wii U's sold. Assuming 30% of WiiU people buy Mario Kart 8, a very high number for any game but not impossible given the dearth of software on the WiiU, you're looking at a optimistic number of 3mil sold. But that's about as optimistic as you can get, 30% install base is very high, and 9-10mil units is Nintendo's optimistic forecast, and it will be a challenge to get there.

More platforms equals more sales. C'mon.

mario kart wii sold about 35 mil units despite being on only one platform. GTA5 being on 2 platforms has not sold as much. And anyone saying its becuase of the Wii's huge isntall base which was about 100 mil. if you acocunt for both PS360 that user base is about 160 mil total.

MK8 will outsell Titanfall. its been out for only 2 months and the hype as died down now to a point of balrely being there at all.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Depends on what you mean by LTD. Isn't Mario Kart Wii still getting sales? Regardless of how miniscule they might be and outside of the Retail and Digital copies would we also be including the Bundle packs?

Titanfall does have the field advantage though being multiplatform alongside PC. So there is that.

MUnited83

For you.
Mario Kart, easily. Nobody will care about TF when Battlefield, CoD and TF2 release. Mario Kart will keep on selling for ages.

benjammin

Lol. Ones on a single platform that has no end to the amount of problems it has and the other is on 3 platforms. There are 80 million 360s alone. Just my sheer numbers Titanfall would win.

Doesn't mean either isn't a good game and I don't get the comparison.

This, all of this. Dumb comparison for sure

Arttemis

lol, this post is hilarious

you're not serious are you? Mario Kart 64?

I don't see why this is so hard to believe. I just went to a house party last week where someone brought out a N64 and MK64. It was an instant hit for the night despite everyone being too drunk to effectively use a controller. None of the other ~20 people there cared about any of the later Mario Kart games.

But clearly there's much more popularity in the MK franchise than that poster is letting on.

phanphare

Banned
Sad for Nintendo that this is even a discussion.

I'd think it's the other way around. 360 install base + X1 install base + potential PC buyers completely and utterly dwarf the Wii U's install base. yet this is still a discussion.

I don't see why this is so hard to believe. I just went to a house party last week where someone brought out a N64 and MK64. It was an instant hit for the night despite everyone being too drunk to effectively use a controller. None of the other ~20 people there cared about any of the later Mario Kart games.

well that's a cool story and all, but it doesn't really mean anything

and I was more just poking fun at the fact that Mario Kart 8 looks to be the best in the series whereas Mario Kart 64 is the worst in the series

Rembrandt

Banned
mario kart wii sold about 35 mil units despite being on only one platform. GTA5 being on 2 platforms has not sold as much. And anyone saying its becuase of the Wii's huge isntall base which was about 100 mil. if you acocunt for both PS360 that user base is about 160 mil total.

MK8 will outsell Titanfall. its been out for only 2 months and the hype as died down now to a point of balrely being there at all.

Let's not forget that it took MKWii 6 years to sell that many. GTAV is currently at 32 million in 7 months.

Possibly Mario Kart, though it depends on how many people care about the Wii U and Mario Kart at the same time. Titanfall's sales aren't likely to get much better despite being on three platforms, especially come the holidays. Would take some impressive sales, DLC, and updates to rejuvenate the game.

Odd thread though. Comes off as either setting up a low bar to make a Wii U title sales to look more impressive, or as some weird attempt at console war bait.

Top Bottom