• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros for 3DS - First week sales over 1 million (including eShop)

L~A

Nintendo just announced it via PR. That include download sales, by the way, so it's actually 1m units sold... (PR is actually a bit ambiguous, as it says 1m sold in the title, but ends with 1m units shipped...)

4th game to reach 1m during first week, after Youkai Watch 2, Monster Hunter 4 and Pokémon X/Y.

Source

L~A

Awww probably an 800k opening then. Still a cool feat

No, actually quite close to 1m, as it includes DL sales. But PR is a bit ambiguous, as stated in the OP.

It says 販売 which means sold, not shipped. Also it includes Download-versions.

It also says this at the very end:

なお、先週末時点で、パッケージ版は100万本強を出荷しており、引き続き今週以降も随時出荷してまいります。

Publishers generally have a very liberal use of the word "sold" (instead of shipped), so I dunno.

If it can do this for the Wii U version, I will be sufficiently impressed. Good for Nintendo. I hope it sells just as many/more in the west.

It says 販売 which means sold, not shipped. Also it includes Download-versions.

Yeah, they say it's the 4th game on 3DS to get over 1 million first week sales (after MH4, Youkai Watch 2, and Pokemon XY).

It also says this at the very end:
Publishers generally have a very liberal use of the word "sold" (instead of shipped), so I dunno.

They use the word 入荷, which effectively means shipped, but they say they shipped >1M.

hongcha

But why are they talking about units shipped at the end then?

They say they have shipped a little over 1 million retail copies (they specify "package" version here, to distinguish it from the "download" ver), and will ship more this coming week to meet demand. The 1 mil sold includes download versions, so they have not sold out of the 1 mil retail copies shipped to stores yet.

duckroll

It's over 1 million sold (including eShop) in the first 2 days, as well as over 1 million retail shipments during the weekend.

L~A

The second half of the sentence refers to more shipments. Presumably it's to allay any fears of wide-scale shortages.

Ah, yeah, I figured as much. Preferred to go with the safer "over 1m shipped", which is actually correct too.

Thanks for the clarifications :)

Ah, yeah, I figured as much. Preferred to go with the safer "over 1m shipped", which is actually correct too.

Thanks for the clarifications :)

:) No worries, you weren't technically wrong.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl has shipped 12.14 million units so...sales are good, but there's still a long way to go until it matches / surpasses its predecessor.

Yes, Brawl's ~7 years Vs. 2 days of sales in 1 territory.

For comparisons sake, Mario Kart 7 sold between 420,000 to 450,000 copies during its first week in Japan. Granted, different amount of 3DS owners at the time, but still worth mentioning.

Shun

Wii U version confirmed for 1 million in 1 month?

Not too much of a stretch considering Mario Kart's 2 million figure.

Top Bottom