• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros for 3DS - First week sales over 1 million (including eShop)

Clefargle

On the Week of January 28th, 2008 (when Brawl launched in Japan), the Wii had sold 5,203,980 units in Japan, and Brawl sold 816,198 copies first week.

That's a 16% attach rate.

As of September 7th, 2014, the 3DS has sold 16,170,661 units in Japan.

So a 1 million first week opening would correspond to a ~6% attach rate.

Interesting, 1/28/08 was a Monday. So that's 5-6 day "week" for the sales listed correct? And the 1 mil claimed by Nintendo is for a two day period, right? I am curious to see if that attach rate goes up a bit after Monday through Wednesday of this week are factored in.

Dr. Buni

The Wii u version needs a defining feature so people pick it up also. I doubt HD graphics is enough.
As long as the Wii U version doesn't have more characters (unless they are released for the 3DS as
free
DLC), it can have whatever extra feature .

beril

Eh, that's like congratulating Level-5 or Developer X for a Dragon Quest game. Smash Bros. is like that, in that the developer just does the grunt work. The only one that matters is Horii / Toriyama / a few other key people for DQ, and for Smash it's Sakurai.

Ugh that's the worst crap I've read in a while.

Yes Horii is vital for Dragon Quest and Sakurai for smash, and they're probably a bit more hands on than many other directors, but saying they're the ONLY ones that "matters" is just offensive. Game development just doesn't work like that

StayDead

BillandTedExcellent.gif

So glad this has sold well, it's such an incredibly well made game and it's miles better than Brawl :D

vareon

Ugh that's the worst crap I've read in a while.

Yes Horii is vital for Dragon Quest and Sakurai for smash, and they're probably a bit more hands on than many other directors, but saying they're the ONLY ones that "matters" is just offensive. Game development just doesn't work like that

"grunt work" also isn't some brainless the developers can automatically do.

Garou

May I point out that the thread-title is wrong, it is not first week-sales, it is first two day-sales (13th & 14th).

Lernaean

Banned
Well deserved for an excellent game.
I'll make a prediction here. Smash U will sell more than MK8. That's for WiiU, because combined with 3DS they will sell a ton.

Interesting, 1/28/08 was a Monday. So that's 5-6 day "week" for the sales listed correct? And the 1 mil claimed by Nintendo is for a two day period, right? I am curious to see if that attach rate goes up a bit after Monday through Wednesday of this week are factored in.

Exactly this.

yaesir

In the end it's very likely the 3DS version will outsell the WiiU version.

Maybe not worldwide, but very likely in Japan. Youkai Watch 2 could end up selling more than Smash in Japan, but i doubt it will worldwide (of course).

There are more advantages than HD.

Anyway, we'll see what else they cook up.
Like every Wii U game there has been something that makes you gon head and buy it. I have some great expectations for the Wii U singleplayer stuff or other modes that will turn some heads. We basically got nothing and im sure they got somethin to make up for the half-assed smash run thing on 3DS.

Richie

Like every Wii U game there has been something that makes you gon head and buy it. I have some great expectations for the Wii U singleplayer stuff or other modes that will turn some heads. We basically got nothing and im sure they got somethin to make up for the half-assed smash run thing on 3DS.

Even if they just bring back Brawl's 1p Modes it'll already have the likes of Stage Builder and Event Match which the 3DS version lacks. We'll see.

The Wii u version needs a defining feature so people pick it up also. I doubt HD graphics is enough.
Aren't the Amiibo's exclusive to the Wii U version? That's definitely going to be one of the main defining features of that version, at least when it comes down to Nintendo's marketting.

Chaos17

205_s.jpg

Even if they just bring back Brawl's 1p Modes it'll already have the likes of Stage Builder and Event Match which the 3DS version lacks. We'll see.
I thought the 3DS has events?

Honestly I would love a melee singleplayer that shit was baller. I played it multiple times, brawl I only played SSE 1 and a half

edit: oh shit forgot about stage builder

Jigorath

Banned
I wonder what kind of boost it gave HW sales. Should be over 50k for the week with these kind of numbers. Closer to 100k maybe?

I thought the 3DS has events?
Nah, the closest thing it has are the challenge boards.

Just my personal interpretation without playing the full game, but Smash Run sort of looks like a combination of Adventure Mode and smaller 'Event' style mini-challenges you have to keep completing, ignoring the obvious City Trial influence from Air Ride.

XD I downloaded the game on my twitch stream on 9/12

But I can see why, the game is largely popular just by the series history alone. New characters and online is amazing! I wish I had the physical copy... but since I'm getting the american game physical I decided to get the Japanese game via Eshop.

If anyone decides to change their minds and get the game early I did a video on how to do it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5nebdnjUVM&list=UUmxr5GH8f-LowiKZxMpnsOA

Also Online is super smooth when all parties have good connections! This was while I was streaming too!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC4TmQHrqd4&list=UUmxr5GH8f-LowiKZxMpnsOA

Nah, the closest thing it has are the challenge boards.

Just my personal interpretation without playing the full game, but Smash Run sort of looks like a combination of Adventure Mode and smaller 'Event' style mini-challenges you have to keep completing, ignoring the obvious City Trial influence from Air Ride.
Well I thought the challenges were the event matches never mind.. Honestly.. dont care about smash run seems to be one of those fun for 20 min kinda modes.
The biggest advantage being the controls. Lets be honest, the 3DS version is neat and is a credible port but the controls aren't ideal.
Seriously if I could do a test i would say people who want it on 3DS only arent very good at smash anyway so wont be able to tell the difference.

trixx

Wii U version confirmed for 1 million in 1 month?

Not too much of a stretch considering Mario Kart's 2 million figure.
If its worldwide release Wii u should sell above 1m first week easy. Most of the buyers will be NA/EU though.

Main reason why I'm skipping 3ds version is the controls as well. Game looks and runs fantastic on the 3ds though, I'm impressed.

Also local multiplayer on smash Wii u as always.

Hot diggity dog. Well done, Ninty. I was beginning to wonder if anything that wasn't Yokai Watch, MH or Pokemon would ever open like that again for a console of any sort in Japan...

maxcriden

Aren't the Amiibo's exclusive to the Wii U version? That's definitely going to be one of the main defining features of that version, at least when it comes down to Nintendo's marketting.

They'll be exclusive until Amiibo use for 3DS is available next year, via N3DS natively and via a peripheral for OG 3DS.

Tom_Cody

This is why merging the hardware architecture and OS for the next console and portable looks like the shrewdest of decisions. No more playing whack-a-mole with trying to save the portable system in one region one year and saving the console in another region another year; with a shared code base they can roll out non-redundant dual releases like Smash at a more efficient clip.

Which is good, because after playing Kid Icarus: Uprising I find myself hoping that Sakurai will take a few years to work on something else.
So much this.

This is simply a further indication of what Nintendo should and will do.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The handheld vs console ratio is skewed between Japan and rest of the market. That's why Nintendo releases 2 versions.

You could also say that's why Nintendo want to make their consoles based on the same virtual platform, so they can share games between each other, and still be correct. :p

Top Bottom