• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros for 3DS - First week sales over 1 million (including eShop)

Lumyst

Good job namco

Hah, it secretly is a Namco Bandai game isn't it :p I didn't know until recently about the weird way that the Smash Bros. games were made. They must have put in lots of work to make separate 3DS and Wii U versions of the game, so congratulations Namco Bandai!

Hah, it secretly is a Namco Bandai game isn't it :p I didn't know until recently about the weird way that the Smash Bros. games were made. They must have put in lots of work to make separate 3DS and Wii U versions of the game, so congratulations Namco Bandai!

Eh, that's like congratulating Level-5 or Developer X for a Dragon Quest game. Smash Bros. is like that, in that the developer just does the grunt work. The only one that matters is Horii / Toriyama / a few other key people for DQ, and for Smash it's Sakurai.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Can't believe people are getting angry because AquaMarine (does anyone read sales threads?) made a quick sales comparison.

Stop being so defensive for no reason.

It is not being defensive. Ht is that first week sales in one country should be compared to fw sales in the same country. Plus, I dont get the long way to go at avl. Wii was incredible. Brawl too. 3ds and wiiu arent, worldwide. Nobody expects smash4 to repeat brawl, realistically. So? That doesnt meanthat selling millions of copies is disappointing. If bissing the wii is the only way to be successfull, I think that nobody will for awhile.

cvxfreak

I'm betting on an LTD of at least 3 million. In fact, 3.5 million sounds doable too, depending on synergies with the Wii U version.

MK7 & MK8

Wii U version of smash will probably sell about MK8 numbers.

Their releases were over a year apart though. This really is a unique case and it will be interesting to see what will happen.

I know both games will have the same roster, but maybe the wii U version can have timed exclusives until they become DLC for the 3DS as they "work on them".

Lumyst

Eh, that's like congratulating Level-5 or Developer X for a Dragon Quest game. Smash Bros. is like that, in that the developer just does the grunt work. The only one that matters is Horii / Toriyama / a few other key people for DQ, and for Smash it's Sakurai.

I know that ;-) I remember that there are so many different, unexpected Japanese companies that have a hand in certain projects, so it's neat how the Super Smash Bros. series illustrates this.

Brawl's numbers were (are! It keeps selling) huge, but I do think that SSB for 3DS + Wii U might eventually reach it all together. SSB for 3DS is going to sell as much as Brawl in Japan alone; it will sell less than Brawl in the West but I can easily see reachin 5-6 million units worldwide. The Wii U version will be more popular in the West, so another 5-6 million units is not out of mind, considering it's the strongest IP on the console along with Mario Kart, and the one with the most faithful fanbase.

Hip Hop

Was gonna pick this up for the 3DS, but there's no way I would go back to it after I get the Wii U version. Makes no sense to own both in my place. Gonna go for Wii U only.

Hope the Wii U sales are strong.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Brawl's numbers were (are! It keeps selling) huge, but I do think that SSB for 3DS + Wii U might eventually reach it all together. SSB for 3DS is going to sell as much as Brawl in Japan alone; it will sell less than Brawl in the West but I can easily see reachin 5-6 million units worldwide. The Wii U version will be more popular in the West, so another 5-6 million units is not out of mind, considering it's the strongest IP on the console along with Mario Kart, and the one with the most faithful fanbase.

No offense, but no wiiu game will sell 5 or 6 millions, imho. Wiiu has sold 7 millions of hw so far..it will eventvally crawl to 15? MK8 is over 2,5 millions and it is doing very well..

botty

Banned
Well, it's a Sakurai game.
ioQo9ln11vNo8.gif

No offense, but no wiiu game will sell 5 or 6 millions, imho. Wiiu has sold 7 millions of hw so far..it will eventvally crawl to 15? MK8 is over 2,5 millions and it is doing very well..

MK is already around 3m. On GC, MK and SSB were the best-selling games, with similar units. SSB has a huge fanbase, and quite dedicated also. If Wii U can crawl towards 10-11m units, then SSB is going to sell 5m in my opinion.

L~A

What I'm particularly interested in is the impact on 3DS sales. Unfortunately, we won't know before tomorrow afternoon...

LOCK

NSMBU will make that.

So will MK8 and SSB by the end of the Wii U's life. These games will sell for years, till the next ones in the series.

So SSB 3DS is going to out sell Brawl in Japan alone. SSB Wii U is just cherries on top. With amiibo, Nintendo has made SSB probably their most profitable game this generation.

Dr. Buni

Yes please.
:D

Seriously, the game is so good on the 3DS. So good that I tried to play Brawl today and I couldn't anymore.
It's nice, but the controls setup and ergonomics make it hard for high level play at extended times.
Well, control setups can be reconfigured. The ergonomics never bothered me, I never felt the "cramps" in any 3DS game besides KIU.

Quick edit: This is one of my favorite Smash 4-related threads on GAF, mainly because there is almost zero antagonism over the 3DS version of the game.

:D

Seriously, the game is so good on the 3DS. So good that I tried to play Brawl today and I couldn't anymore.

Well, control setups can be reconfigured. The ergonomics never bothered me, I never felt the "cramps" in any 3DS game besides KIU.

Quick edit: This is one of my favorite Smash 4-related threads on GAF, mainly because there is almost zero antagonism over the 3DS version of the game.
I would like to say that skill level of the player would drastically change how you play. If you are playing casually you probably wont experience hand cramps or awkwardness in the 3DS control scheme. You are simply playing to play. On the other alot of pro streamers are definantely cannot wait to play the game with a gamecube controller and are already imagining the type of moves and combos they will be able to pull off that the 3DS just wont consistently allow.

Nikokuno

Congratulations Bandai Namco (#teamharada)for this almost flawless show at 60fps (>.> hu Game Freaks ...), thanks Sakurai for your generosity even with your arm injuries, don't even think this kind of game will fit the old-ish 3DS hardware but yeah they did it.

US/EU sales gonna be interesting for scouting the 3DS market and I hope a bright future for the Wii U version.

NSMBU is over 4 million so 5 or 6 million is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Congrats NB and Sakurai!

Question: how many units had the Wii sold before brawl launched?

On the Week of January 28th, 2008 (when Brawl launched in Japan), the Wii had sold 5,203,980 units in Japan, and Brawl sold 816,198 copies first week.

That's a 16% attach rate.

As of September 7th, 2014, the 3DS has sold 16,170,661 units in Japan.

So a 1 million first week opening would correspond to a ~6% attach rate.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
1 million in two days? Holy shit. I dunno how much Brawl sold, but didn't Melee sell 1 million LTD? That's pretty damn impressive.

L~A

Well, 800k seemed likely, but 1m is indeed very nice. Let's see how much sold at retail, without the eShop sales.

Spinluck

1 million in Japan means Ridley sized numbers for the WW release, holy shit this is going to fly off shelves.

Can't believe I made a stupid Ridley is big joke.

Top Bottom