• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime that need more love!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

C: the money of Soul and possibility control.

Great original 2011 financial battle shonen.
Has a pretty great lore to it too, but it's marred by its length (11 episodes) and thus not as fledged out as it should.

FunBoy

My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy.

I hope there is a second series of this It blew my mind.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I always loved Video Girl Ai. Super short compared to the manga, covers only half the story, but it's still great

-duskdoll-

Naruto!

jk, Shiki is pretty good

giphy.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mitsudomoe needs more love.

iKCfKcvw3wHof.gif

;______;

Still waiting for the second half of series 2.

Clov

Mononoke, Trapeze, The Tatami Galaxy, Ping-Pong, Angel's Egg, Gosenzosama Banbanzai... I could name lots of wonderful anime that don't seem to have the recognition they deserve, but I'd be here all day!

Don't tell me, I know most of the titles called in this thread.
But I see this is some kind of advertising to help less known series you love to get more recognition. People may look them up, but left only with a title, there is no reason they should. Give them a picture, a paragraph, heck, a few key words can wake the interest of people.

Help others to love what you love.

You're absolutely right, so I'm going to edit in some descriptions!

Mononoke is a 12 episode anime made in 2007. It's an episodic series about a medicine seller who travels from place to place, dealing with mysterious spirits known as "Mononoke". This is no action series, so you won't see the medicine seller constantly engage in combat; in order to destroy the spirits, he must learn their "shape", "truth", and "reason", adding an element of mystery. What makes it stand out are not only the many interesting stories it has to tell, but it's distinctive visual style (something it shares with many of the anime I listed).

Trapeze is an 11 episode anime made in 2009, from the same director and studio as Mononoke. Another episodic series, though very different in tone and atmosphere from Mononoke. It's about an eccentric psychiatrist named Dr. Irabe who treats patients with varying psychological problems. The premise might not seem very interesting, but the presentation absolutely is; it mixes traditional animation with rotoscoping and occasionally live-action as well. As with Mononoke, the stories are pretty interesting as well. Strange, but very fun!

The Tatami Galaxy is an 11 episode anime made in 2010. It tells the story of a university student trying to find what he calls "the rose-colored campus life", where he'll meet a raven haired maiden and live out a perfect life. Unfortunately, instead he meets a strange and somewhat frightening man named Ozu; someone who is both his worst enemy and his best friend. I don't want to give too much else away about the premise, because it's something that really is best experienced fresh. It's a smartly written anime filled with wonderful characters, great humor and an uplifting message. Of course, the visuals are fantastic as well, often becoming quite surreal.

Ping-Pong is an 11 episode anime made just this year, by the same director as The Tatami Galaxy. I honestly never thought I'd enjoy a sports anime until I watched this. The visual style may seem off-putting at first, but if you stick around you'll be in for one of the best anime of the year. It's a story about a guy nick-named Smile (who never smiles), and his friend Peco who play ping-pong together. Peco is talented, and has grown arrogant because of it, but things change as soon as Smile begins to show his true potential. Even if you don't like sports anime, or aren't at all interested in Ping-Pong, give it a shot. Here's another screenshot, just because.

Angel's Egg is one of the lesser known works of director Mamoru Oshii, known for Patlabor and Ghost in the Shell. Released in 1985, the OVA follows a young girl carrying an egg throughout a wasteland. One day she meets a man carrying a cross, and they travel together. The dialogue is very sparse, but the atmosphere is incredible. It's an amazing experience, thanks to the incredible visuals. Just seeing them wander from place to place was mesmerizing to me. I wouldn't recommend this to everyone; definitely for people who love art cinema, though.

Lastly, Gosenzosama Banbanzai is a 6 episode OVA released from 1989-1990, again from Mamoru Oshii. This anime tells the story of a dysfunctional family that is pushed to their limits following the appearance of a girl named Maroko, who claims to be their descendent from the future. It's incredibly strange, and not everyone will enjoy it (the character designs do look a bit odd), but for those who give it a chance, you'll find something truly unique! It often is presented as if the anime were a play, complete with spotlights, asides to the audience, characters exiting the stage through trap doors... and the story itself goes to some pretty bizarre and dark places. Personally, I love it since it's Mamoru Oshii directing an absurdist tragicomedy, and that's just the perfect thing for me. The fact that the animation is great doesn't hurt, either.

Anyway, these are all great and often overlooked. Watch them if you're interested!

wwm0nkey

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure always needs more love

Also RahXephon since most dismissed it as a Eva clone without getting far in it at all. Also Lain is a great anime that is slowly building up more fans.

Necrovex

We need another best anime ever thread to highlight the unknown. It's been seven years since we did one, and so many fantastic shows have been released!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Rurouni Kenshin. Best shonen without superpowers.

Koren

Mononoke, Trapeze, The Tatami Galaxy, Ping-Pong, Angel's Egg, Gosenzosama Banbanzai... I could name lots of wonderful anime that don't seem to have the recognition they deserve, but I'd be here all day!
If you can spare some time, it's interesting. I've seen a couple hundreds anime series over the years, and I know many more I haven't watched, but I don't know half of those, so I'm definitively curious...

Thanks, already, for the first batch ^_^

(Not sure what I could suggest myself... there's many anime I liked / loved, but I don't know if they're in need of more recognition. Even worse, some anime I love are definitively not for everyone, like Lucky Star)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dennou Coil, obviously.

The first anime in years to actually have something to say.

Oh my god Mononoke is stunning. Also been meaning to check out Angel's Egg.

Yawnier

Banned
Mangaka san to assistant san
Hataraku Maou-Sama
OreGairu
White Album 2

All pretty recent shows that aired within the last year and half.

Here's one that I watched recently that is in despirate need for more love.

Goldfish Warning!

26657l.jpg

Produced by the same people as the original series of Sailor Moon. It is virtually unknown to most people and it's a great shame that it is the case.

I mean who wouldn't want to watch the story of a girl who buys a junior high-school where there are people, cows, chickens and cats as students? There's even a freeloading lawyer with bunny ears out to steal her pet pink goldfish which can talk and fly.

Ayumi

★ Ergo Proxy (エルゴプラクシー)
ー http://myanimelist.net/anime/790/Ergo_Proxy
ー Aired: Feb 5, 2006 to Aug 12, 2006
ー Episodes: 26

★ Moyashimon (もやしもん)
ー http://myanimelist.net/anime/3001/Moyashimon
ー Aired: Oct 12, 2007 to Dec 21, 2007
ー Episodes: 11

★ Kuragehime / Princess Jellyfish (海月姫)
ー http://myanimelist.net/anime/8129/Kuragehime
ー Aired: Oct 15, 2010 to Dec 31, 2010

★ Paradise Kiss (パラダイス・キス)
ー http://myanimelist.net/anime/322/Paradise_Kiss
ー Aired: Oct 14, 2005 to Dec 30, 2005
ー Episodes: 12

Kieli

★ Ergo Proxy (エルゴプラクシー)
ー http://myanimelist.net/anime/790/Ergo_Proxy
ー Aired: Feb 5, 2006 to Aug 12, 2006
ー Episodes: 26

★ Moyashimon (もやしもん)
ー http://myanimelist.net/anime/3001/Moyashimon
ー Aired: Oct 12, 2007 to Dec 21, 2007

★ Kuragehime / Princess Jellyfish (海月姫)
ー http://myanimelist.net/anime/8129/Kuragehime
ー Aired: Oct 15, 2010 to Dec 31, 2010

★ Paradise Kiss (パラダイス・キス)
ー http://myanimelist.net/anime/322/Paradise_Kiss
ー Aired: Oct 14, 2005 to Dec 30, 2005
ー Episodes: 12

Ergo Proxy really isn't worth it. The story meanders until it reaches an ultimately unsatisfying conclusion.

There's also a lot of unimpressive, pseudo-intellectual gibberish stuffed into 1-arc episodes. -,-

Koren

Dennou Coil, obviously.
Good pick!

Darker than Black season 1 gets some love but it deserves way more.
I really enjoyed the mood/setting, but I think it could have been so much more...

OK, I'll try a first batch:

- Read or Dream, because using the paper as a weapon is nice (or Read or Die, the OAV)

- Starship Operators, because using a reality TV show to fund a war is such a great idea

- To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, because the powers they possess are among the funniest I know, starting with the heroin, Railgun, whose signature move is shooting pennies like a railgun by controlling the EM waves (To Aru Majutsu no Index is nice, too, even if the story is visibly shorten in the anime)

- Ichigo Marchmallow, because it's cute

- Shakugan no Shana, because it's hot (although it's probably already quite popular)

- Utena, because having songs about paleontology, a girl wanting to be a prince, a girl used to store a sword, an upside-down castle and a guy that keeps timing... something is unusual (warning: it's sloooow... the movie is even more strange, but enjoyable too)

- Asura Cryin, because mech anime are better when they're dark

- The World God Only Knows, because we're on GAF, and a pro-gamer saving the world, even if its specialty is dating sim, is obligatory (I want his gaming room, btw)

- Ouran High School Host Club, because entertaining young women is a must for a proper young men in society

- Princess tutu, because ducks can dance, too

- Rayearth, because I think the ending is great, although I can't obviously spoil it

I'm reluctant to suggest Oreimo, because of the direction they've been taking and I'm not really fond of, but the base idea was quite fun.

neon genesis evangelion
Needs more recognition? Mononoke, too? Even Nadesico seems quite big for me. I would have said Code Geass, My Otome/HiME, Higurashi, Slayers, Noir, Madlax, Haruhi, (and half of Ghibli movies)... if I hadn't thought they were already hugely popular...

I'm a huge slice of life fan so I'll just be posting these Ghilbi films that are heavily underrated:

1. Only yesterday
2. Ocean Waves

More recent:
Tatami Galaxy
My Little Monster

Must say, this is the only post in this thread that kinda make me get back into anime and watch this. Seems like it actually has a unique style and a high rating on myanimelist. I might actually have to watch this.

Kieli

Good pick!

I really enjoyed the mood/setting, but I think it could have been so much more...

OK, I'll try a first batch:

- Read or Dream, because using the paper as a weapon is nice (or Read or Die, the OAV)

- Starship Operators, because using a reality TV show to fund a war is such a great idea

- To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, because the powers they possess are among the funniest I know, starting with the heroin, Railgun, whose signature move is shooting pennies like a railgun by controlling the EM waves (To Aru Majutsu no Index is nice, too, even if the story is visibly shorten in the anime)

- Ichigo Marchmallow, because it's cute

- Shakugan no Shana, because it's hot (although it's probably already quite popular)

- Utena, because having songs about paleontology, a girl wanting to be a prince, a girl used to store a sword, an upside-down castle and a guy that keeps timing... something is unusual (warning: it's sloooow... the movie is even more strange, but enjoyable too)

- Asura Cryin, because mech anime are better when they're dark

- The World God Only Knows, because we're on GAF, and a pro-gamer saving the world, even if its specialty is dating sim, is obligatory (I want his gaming room, btw)

- Ouran High School Host Club, because entertaining young women is a must for a proper young men in society

- Princess tutu, because ducks can dance, too

- Rayearth, because I think the ending is great, although I can't obviously spoil it

I'm reluctant to suggest Oreimo, because of the direction they've been taking and I'm not really fond of, but the base idea was quite fun.

Needs more recognition? Mononoke, too? Even Nadesico seems quite big for me. I would have said Code Geass, My Otome/HiME, Higurashi, Slayers, Noir, Madlax, Haruhi, (and half of Ghibli movies)... if I hadn't thought they were already hugely popular...

Half of the stuff in your list is already pretty darned popular! I'm thinking more in terms of stuff like Mononoke, as mentioned above.

School Rumble.

One of all-time greatest slice-of-life school/romance comedies ever.

narubl+22.jpg

References, humour, characters, music, everything

Funimation has almost all of it on their Youtube channel free:
DUB - Episode 1
SUB - Episode 1

NO EXCUSES YO :I
(I actually prefer the English dub, but that's just me)

I discovered it when I was super-bored one day and looking for random shows to watch for free on Youtube and I stumbled on it and as the intro was playing I was seriously contemplating my existence but after a few episodes the show grew on me and I fell in love damnit and partly through it actually made me cry and it was so stupid I was like why the hell is this making me cry but I accepted it

Chariot

Guardian of the Spirit

Awesome chineselike setting, with a strong female lead character, amazing fights and nice lore. It's all around a great show, but somehow it's barely known and made bad sales, so I don't see a chance of a sequel, despite only being the adaption of the first book of many.

Ars Nova

A lot of people are probably scared by the CGI and the weak first episode, but it's a very fun watch, with exciting battles and the feeling that everything fits together in the end. Somehow the latter is something a lot of anime series seem to have problems with.

Eve no Jikan

An amazing sci-fi movie about artificial intelligence and a future where modern cyborgs need extra halos over their heads to make it even possible to distinguish them from actual humans. A cafe where those halos are deactivated, the fate of older robots and the question if the difference between an advanced AI and a human even matters at that point. No big action, just calm slices of different lives and perspectives. With some questions left open to think and judge for oneself. I backed the Kickstarter with many others, but it's still not very well known.

C: the money of Soul and possibility control.

Great original 2011 financial battle shonen.
Has a pretty great lore to it too, but it's marred by its length (11 episodes) and thus not as fledged out as it should.
I like the setting and the initial concept, but the end just felt weak.

I feel like I am the only one who really really enjoyed Gungrave. It's weird, because I was not into the game on PS2, and I am not even really sure I liked the last part of Gungrave as much as the first, but holy fuck that.. that, was really some crazy shit. In a good way.

Strike

Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl hardly ever gets mentioned even when the topic of sports anime is brought up. The creator is better known for Monster, but this is still a very good watch.

Curiocity

Martian Successor Nadesico, it's a parody on Japanese mechs anime and just really well done. I wish it got more love. It does get serious, but it's mostly light.
Fun watch. :) I have the set. I feel like Irresponsible Captain Tyler gets the comedy a little better, as with MSN sometimes the pacing and mood is a little weird, but still great.

Current guilty pleasure: Omishi Magical Theater: Risky Safety. Go ahead and judge me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom