• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Producer: Targeting 30fps for "Game Design" purposes

Guerrilla

In an interview at the GameStart gaming convention last week with Bloodborne Producer Masaaki Yamagiwa, we asked him what the target resolution and frame-rate was for the upcoming action-RPG. Yamagiwa noted that while they “haven’t made an official announcement yet but they will probably go for 30fps since that’s what they found to be the best fps (frames-per-second) to play action games.”

Oh boy, lock to glorified slide show if old

Link: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ts-the-best-for-action-games-claims-producer/

EDIT:

I was contacted by Playstation Lifestyle directly with an audio recording of said interview:

[Interview was pulled on Sony's request] (Maybe someone with language skills can retranslate the respective part? however the translator, or is that Masaaki? Clearly states what was written on Playstation Lifestyle)

Furthermore Masaaki Yamagiwa tweeted this:

5uLl7GF.png

EDIT2:

Our resident OddMorsel is shedding some light onto this situation:

Here is what was actually said in the interview:

Journo: "What frame rate and resolution are you targeting?"

Translator: "Resolution and framerate... have you decided these yet?"

Yamagiwa: "The resolution is going to be 1080p. As for the frame rate, well, stretching it to 60, with how this game is.. Demon's couldn't do it either, well I guess we probably won't be able to make it up to 60... It sounds like I'm making excuses but, anyway we're targeting 1080p 30fps.

Translator: "First of all it's going to be ..." (makes up a bunch of shit that Yamigawa didn't actually say, talking about action games being best at 30fps)

Yamigawa (interrupting): "well it's not ... I mean no matter how I say it, it's going to come out like an excuse I'm afraid"

Translator: "well, from the first they are not targeting 60fps because ..." (more conjecture)

I don't think the translator was necessarily bad, I think he just tried to fill in the gaps and didn't realize that even the details and nuances are things that the fan base wants full clarity on.

I've done JP <-> ENG interpretation before and the languages are constructed so differently that it does require a bit of conjecture and filling in the gaps to make a cohesive point. If I had to take a guess I'd say that he's referencing something he heard at another time or maybe a point that was brought up earlier in the interview.

EDIT 3:

Official word from the translator:

TgPmfl4.png

EDIT 4:

Playstation Lifestyle just contacted me, that they updated the article with the following:

Sony has reached out to PlayStation LifeStyle to further shed light to the whole situation and has issued the following statement courtesy of Arata Naito, SCE Asia Marketing representative:

There was some miscommunication in that particular Q&A in which the subtle nuance was misunderstood.

Yamagiwa-san would like to clarify that 1080p/30fps is what Bloodborne is going for considering its game designs, but never meant that it&#8217;s the best choice for all action games in general.

Personal Note/Opinion: So Playstation Lifestyle did only report what they thought was said in the interview since they had no reason to believe in a fault of the translator. They have been very cooperative in clearing this situation up, and contacted me with every information (the original audio file/ Sony's responses) they could provide, and I appreciate that very much. I think Playstation Lifestyle did a really good job handling this situation.

I hope I did a half decent job of keeping this OP up to date.

All they had to do was stay quiet and release it at 30fps, but instead, they say the one thing that would make people angry, lol.

*breathes in*

“haven’t made an official announcement yet but they will probably go for 30fps since that’s what they found to be the best fps (frames-per-second) to play action games.”

*breathes out*

I mean, I'm not surprised since the Souls games were never great in the framerate department, and this is FROM's first PS4 title.

But yeah - terrible choice of quote/reasoning.

27717-Zelda-Abandon-thread-gif-LwhD.gif

Raide

Durante cannot save this one.

Bwuaha, who really cares. Game looks solid and PS4 fans will eat it up. Its FromSoft dammit!

Kriken

"30 frames per second" and "best for action games" should never go together in a sentence

Unless "is never" is put between them

I'm all for developers locking @ 30 fps to maximize graphics on the hardware they have, but don't do it and say "It's more cinematic" ... Just say "We're locking at 30 to get the most out of the hardware."

Damn, grill.

Deadstar

He's right, 30 fps is best that's why every pc game is locked at......wait a second...why am I playing games on pc at 120 fps with my 120hz refresh rate monitor? I should have been playing at 30 fps all along for the "cinematic" "action" feel!

I'm not surprised though. No way they could have those graphics at 60 fps on ps4.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well anybody who has played Dark Souls 1 or 2 on PC will know just how wrong that is.

60fps improves these games dramatically.

Game4life

Banned
I think some people need to be careful to make cinematic jokes now because Bloodborne has more gameplay than 90% of games released these days. What a quagmire.

Anyways stupid comment.

shanew21

Aww yeah here we go.

Personally I don't care, but it'll be really interesting to see what people's opinions are since this is a respected developer.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Gotta half agree.

In my personal experience, I've found that 60 almost looks funny in the same way the Hobbit did in 48. Not for all games of course.

I don't think 60 is necessary 100% of the time. I'm perfectly ok with a smooth 30 in most games. I still cant adjust to Halo at 60 in the MCC footage yet. Just looks funny.

Nbz

I'm not sure developers read the internet, because at this point its frankly ridiculous to hear so many of them try and pass off the same bullshit.

Top Bottom