• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Producer: Targeting 30fps for "Game Design" purposes

Nooooooo, this just isn't truueee. God damn devs, "the best" for action games is 60 fps and whatever particles and shit you want, not 30 fps

MormaPope

Banned
A better response would've been

"We're From Software motherfuckers, we make games that drop to 5 frames per second and y'all love that shit. Who else makes games like we do?"

Dahbomb

Souls director letting the hype get to his head.

Dude needs to check out some REAL action games to know what's up.

Nethaniah

Gotta half agree.

In my personal experience, I've found that 60 almost looks funny in the same way the Hobbit did in 48.

I don't think 60 is necessary 100% of the time. I'm perfectly ok with a smooth 30 in most games. I still cant adjust to Halo at 60 in the MCC footage yet. Just looks funny.

This didnt take long.

NEO0MJ

If you're gonna give such a bull excuse don't say it at all. Just admit that you'd rather sacrifice better gameplay for better graphics. And if it's like souls it will probably run sub-30 most of the time.

K' Dash

popcorn_yes.gif

it's true at 30 fps second your eyes can adjust and you can make more precise actions

60 fps is too many frames, you'll make more mistakes because it's too fast

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Maybe it's all a big mistranslation...

Or maybe Japanese devs don't have good media training.

In any case, even though Bloodborne is pretty much the only game I'm looking forward to in the next 6 months, his lack of reverence for glorious 60fps can only mean one thing.

PRE.
ORDER.
CANCELED.

Nyoro SF

I think he's just covering for Bloodborne, that's cute. Not like you're going to say your game is inferior for being 30fps.

But seriously, he is wrong. Dark Souls 1 at 60fps was a glory to behold.

Rich!

30fps is the best for action games in the same way that stabbing yourself in the eye with a rusty nail is good for real life

SeanTSC

Dear Developers/Publishers/PR People:

If you can't make your engine run at 60 FPS then just stop opening your mouth and saying stupid shit like this. It's not more cinematic. It's not better. It's the not best for anything ever. Just say that you're going for a locked 30 and nothing else or at the most say you're going for a locked 30 to hit the visual fidelity that you want. That's it, no bullshit. Just stop insulting us with absolute, patently false nonsense like this kind of statement.

neurophd

We'll that is unfortunate, Bloodborne is the only product tempting me to get a PS4....this news puts a damper on those thoughts.

You know, if devs want to aim for 30 FPS so that they can increase the fidelity of the visuals, that's fine - I just wish they would say that, instead of dancing around the issue and trying to claim that 30 FPS is "best" for a certain type of game.

Guerrilla

Game will be great (if not amazing) regardless, and I think few will argue that, even with 30fps. It's just amazing that people apparently don't learn from the mistakes of others. Saying 30fps is the best for anything is just asking for a shitstrom....

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just don't understand, after all these years, developers can't just be honest.

Would anyone be up in arms if he said:

"We're going for 30fps because we want to push really great textures and effects over frame rate".

The Llama

Imagine thinking 30 FPS is better than 60 FPS for an action game. I can't even understand.

Still, people gotta just accept that games are gonna be 30 FPS on consoles because devs are almost always going to prioritize visuals over the framerate.

Nzyme32

Gotta half agree.

In my personal experience, I've found that 60 almost looks funny in the same way the Hobbit did in 48. Not for all games of course.

I don't think 60 is necessary 100% of the time. I'm perfectly ok with a smooth 30 in most games. I still cant adjust to Halo at 60 in the MCC footage yet. Just looks funny.

That's your opinion. Sure. Fine. But I have to vehemently disagree

Top Bottom