• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Producer: Targeting 30fps for "Game Design" purposes

A better response would've been

"We're From Software motherfuckers, we make games that drop to 5 frames per second and y'all love that shit. Who else makes games like we do?"

yea seriously... they could've just come out and said "Pray for 20fps fuckers, you'll still buy it" and dropped the mic

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Gotta half agree.

In my personal experience, I've found that 60 almost looks funny in the same way the Hobbit did in 48. Not for all games of course.

I don't think 60 is necessary 100% of the time. I'm perfectly ok with a smooth 30 in most games. I still cant adjust to Halo at 60 in the MCC footage yet. Just looks funny.

You aren't agreeing with him. He said 30fps was best. Not that it's okay or tolerable or it depends on the game or it looks less weird than the hobbit. Just that it's the best. Which is clearly just placebic babble that sounds like a reason for the 30fps choice but isn't a reason, only a post-hoc justification.

Jomjom

Banned
Man I wish for once someone would just says "We went with 30fps because we couldn't reach 60fps and still achieve what we wanted to visually."

That would be SO refreshing to hear.

KePoW

Banned
Quite frankly, GAF complains too much about 60 fps.

When it's locked at 30 fps, it's fine. I never played any of the three Souls games, but I assume they were locked 30 fps and GAF likes those games, so what's the big deal??

Gogo_ZvC

Angel_Beats_Escape_GIF_by_zakaru13.gif

Doesn't waver my resolve, still buying it.

Ashodin

oh boy here we go

cIBUg7Y.gif

Come on From, 60 fps would make the combat silky smooth.

This type of direction makes players wait for the PC versions. It's bad for business.

Silky

Banned
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHHAAHAHHHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAAH
/FUCK. OFF./

Demons Souls was my GOTG last gen and it probably ran 24-28 most of the time. A locked 30 would be just fine for me.

Souls is not super twitchy mega combo type action so 30 is fine this style of action title.

It is more about weight and timing animations like MH almost compared to just mashing the buttons and going nuts like in a Bayonetta type action game.

Of course 30 isn't the " best " for anything though lol

Sothpaw

We'll that is unfortunate, Bloodborne is the only product tempting me to get a PS4....this news puts a damper on those thoughts.

I bought my PS4 for Destiny. WHOOPS!

Thankfully Bloodborne was announced like a week later so my purchase was redeemed. Although I am a PC guy, I will still take Bloodborne at a low framerate over no Bloodborne at all.

When it's locked at 30 fps, it's fine. I never played any of the three Souls games, but I assume they were locked 30 fps and GAF likes those games, so what's the big deal??
Because they aren't locked at 30fps.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
oh boy here we go

cIBUg7Y.gif

Come on From, 60 fps would make the combat silky smooth.

This type of direction makes players wait for the PC versions. It's bad for business.

Well there isn't going to be a PC version of Bloodborne so those folks will have to suck it up or simply suck it.

Stoof

C'mon, just saying "We're targeting 30fps" would have been better than this bullshit excuse. Game will be fun regardless but they seem to be borrowing from Ubi's PR team.

Schnozberry

You know, I think I could accept a number of reasons why someone would target 30fps on current gen consoles. Maybe you want more effects per pixel or a higher resolution, or maybe you want more advanced AI. There are a number of arguments I'd listen to. This shit just comes off as lazy, above all else. For fuck's sake man, at least show your work and justify your decision.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
it's true at 30 fps second your eyes can adjust and you can make more precise actions

60 fps is too many frames, you'll make more mistakes because it's too fast

The exactly opposite of that happened when I went from PS3 Bayonetta to 360 Bayonetta. The framerate effects your response time a lot.

I just don't understand, after all these years, developers can't just be honest.

Would anyone be up in arms if he said:

"We're going for 30fps because we want to push really great textures and effects over frame rate".

I don't get it either. If i have to choose then I actually prefer better graphics at 30fps than worse at 60. But please stop with this bullshit. No one buys it.

Begaria

Ha! Ahhhh, man. That was a really dumb thing to say. Still, I doubt anyone ever seriously thought Bloodborne wouldn't be 30 FPS.

Nzyme32

Maybe it's just the PlayStation 4 can't quite keep up with the demand, and as such FPS has to be locked down?

Graphical fidelity among other things like LOD can be compromised for 60fps almost always. The fear of actually just saying that is both dismaying and hilarious. To be clear, compromising graphical fidelity, DOES NOT mean you have to sacrifice IQ.

Sothpaw

Hell the fuck no lol.

On PC the Dark Souls games are godly though. I played Demon's and Dark 1 on console (fuck you GFWL) and I still enjoyed those games, but the framerates were horrible (especially in Dark 1).

Dear Developers/Publishers/PR People:

If you can't make your engine run at 60 FPS then just stop opening your mouth and saying stupid shit like this. It's not more cinematic. It's not better. It's the not best for anything ever. Just say that you're going for a locked 30 and nothing else or at the most say you're going for a locked 30 to hit the visual fidelity that you want. That's it, no bullshit. Just stop insulting us with absolute, patently false nonsense like this kind of statement.

This.

Omega

Banned
and now my PS4 has no use to me..

I was honestly expecting 30, and this is the only game I would have made the exception for.

but if you want to pretend like we're idiots and feed your Ubi PR to us, no thanks. thanks for saving me $60 though

Top Bottom