• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Trademarks Scalebound

Miles X

Scalebound-670x368_zps4cf00715.jpg

Does this not mean it is MS that own the IP?

Source is banned so not sure I can post the link to the article???

SerTapTap

I dobt think ip ownership is something platinum cares about. They are generally one and done developers.

It may more be that IP ownership is not something they have the ability to negotiate (plus frankly lots of their stuff bombs so it might not be worth whatever they'd give up by keeping the IPs). They always go through publishers for funding, and securing the rights to a new IP funded by a publisher is pretty rare. Some big exceptions this year though--Titanfall (I think) and Sunset Overdrive. But I think that's still an exception to the rule.

With so many Xbox ips going multi or to PC or w/e it's good to MS has a few true XB1 exclusives coming though.

If only Microsoft had some way to benefit from games coming to Microsoft® Windows™

Their website has had Scalebound listed as (c) to MS for a while now. Phil Spencer said it was his goal to own what they fund in first party games, but they will make exceptions like Sunset Overdrive.

With so many Xbox ips going multi or to PC or w/e it's good to MS has a few true XB1 exclusives coming though.

MS will port the game to the PC themselves if they think there is potential to make money, it's one of the good distinctions they have from their competition.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah it's Microsoft's

I can't wait to see Scalebound. One last policy change MS, one last thing and the XBO is mine. PLEASE do it before Scalebound at least :(

It's not like they want to own any of their original IP, they never sell very well :p

Until, Bayonetta 2, right? Did that do okay?

Gestault

yeah it's Microsoft's

I can't wait to see Scalebound. One last policy change MS, one last thing and the XBO is mine. PLEASE do it before Scalebound at least :(

With the number of exceptions we've seen with the release window requirement for indie releases, is it basically a "mea culpa" announcement you're waiting on? I've been surprised Microsoft hasn't said as much for the sake of PR.

Also, I'm in the same boat. I can't wait to see actual gameplay. There aren't many devs that have my ear like Platinum.

Rising's been their most successful.

Original IP? I am sure a Platinum game with the title Call of Duty would sell well too.

I'll be surprised if this is actually good. I haven't found a Platinum that clicked for me yet.

Shit, I continually find that we have similar opinions. And not entirely 'getting' PG games is not all that common on GAF.

Having said that, I don't get many arcade character action games. In fact, I can't think of one I've ever liked, so that might be more to do with it.

you will all be xbox owners when scalebound/phantom dust/(whatever rare is doing) i don't know how anyone will be able to resist unless they both somehow become garbage but MS track record is pretty solid so far.

Elandyll

Banned
Why would this be a surprise? Platinum is not into the development of New IPs, they are into being a kick @ss dev studio that does mercenary work for large Publishers on their IPs.

If anything, it's rather late for MS to be filing this, so I'm going to guess this is not actually that recent (not sure what Priority means in context, but it says it's from March 2014).

Top Bottom