• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Trademarks Scalebound

Arklite

you will all be xbox owners when scalebound/phantom dust/(whatever rare is doing) i don't know how anyone will be able to resist unless they both somehow become garbage but MS track record is pretty solid so far.

Scalebound is in Platinum's capable hands but I don't know what they're doing with Phantom Dust and I was not a fan of the CG renders for either of those games at e3. I really hope those were contracted place holders and not a depiction of final art. I'm unsure of how PD is gonna turn out.

Gestault

Why would this be a surprise? Platinum is not into the development of New IPs, they are into being a kick @ss dev studio that does mercenary work for large Publishers on their IPs.

If anything, it's rather late for MS to be filing this, so I'm going to guess this is not actually that recent (not sure what Priority means in context, but it says it's from March 2014).

Did we know for sure one way or the other who owned the trademark? I think that's why it's newsworthy.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So what are the chances of this game having gameplay during the next e3? Curious about what they'll do with the IP.

So what are the chances of this game having gameplay during the next e3? Curious about what they'll do with the IP.

Higher than not. Either E3 or Gamescom. Fable Legends and Quantum Break were also titles revealed with CGi/in-engine trailers in 2013, with proper gameplay footage debuting only this year.

Amir0x

Banned
This is sort of off topic, so I won't go much further on this score Gestault. I'll just give you this hearty reply and we can discuss it more detailed in another topic if you're interested.

With the number of exceptions we've seen with the release window requirement for indie releases, is it basically a "mea culpa" announcement you're waiting on? I've been surprised Microsoft hasn't said as much for the sake of PR.

The exceptions don't even begin to cover how bad the policy is. We can look into the numbers. The policy is one of the central causes that there are almost less than half of the indie devs confirmed for XBO and easily under half the total indie games announced to it.

Not a single dev anywhere has come out in favor of the policy, except to say at best that it's not doing any harm to them personally. Whereas we have dozens of dozens of devs that say it is seriously hurtful and damaging. And we can also look at the deeper motivations: XBO gamers are getting less games, less highly rated games, less support. MS is getting less revenue due to less games/devs being on the platform. And on top of that it has the byproduct of being intentionally spiteful to PS4 gamers, merely because Sony weren't asshats and made sure to support indies out of the gate.

Anyway, there's so many games I want to play on XBO it's really painful for me I couldn't buy it with all these insane Black Friday deals for this one thing. May seem insignificant to you, but indies are seriously one of the most important areas of growth in this industry and potential AAA devs of tomorrow. They fill in all the idiosyncratic genre gaps that are simply too risky for AAAs and keep a myriad of genres alive that simply are not mass market viable anymore. They also fill in a critical mid-tier gap of AAs at times. In short, they are good for everyone.

I want so badly to play Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Halo:MCC (whenever it works). And Scalebound is the other huge game I cannot wait for, as Platinum is one of my favorite devs. As well as some fantastic indies they too have in the pipe.

I know it may seem like I'm anal retentive on this point and I repeat myself a lot, but it's because I think it's a big problem for the industry that Microsoft doesn't change this. It benefits no one and only causes damage, so I have to stand firm with my indie friends on this. :(

weren't you getting one back when horizon launched?

My friend offered me an insane deal on it and I was literally a day from pulling the trigger when Phil Spencer made this reaffirmation of a selfish, nonsensical (as it benefits no one, including MS and its fans) and seriously damaging to the most vulnerable devs amongst us policy. Previously in the year he had said they were reevaluating that policy and looking closely, so I was about to pull the trigger on my friend's offer and then that came out.

I cannot in good conscience support a console that so damningly hurts the most vulnerable and aspirational developers in the industry. I have a legion of friends who are indies, both irl and on GAF, and to me it's more important to show solidarity with them then with the corporation exerting their power for no reason whatsoever.

They finally make sure to own ips. Good move because then they can build up their portfolio and have a variety of games. They used to not do this at all.

p3tran

Banned
This is sort of off topic, so I won't go much further on this score Gestault. I'll just give you this hearty reply and we can discuss it more detailed in another topic if you're interested.

The exceptions don't even begin to cover how bad the policy is. We can look into the numbers. The policy is one of the central causes that there are almost less than half of the indie devs confirmed for XBO and easily under half the total indie games announced to it.

Not a single dev anywhere has come out in favor of the policy, except to say at best that it's not doing any harm to them personally. Whereas we have dozens of dozens of devs that say it is seriously hurtful and damaging. And we can also look at the deeper motivations: XBO gamers are getting less games, less highly rated games, less support. MS is getting less revenue due to less games/devs being on the platform. And on top of that it has the byproduct of being intentionally spiteful to PS4 gamers, merely because Sony weren't asshats and made sure to support indies out of the gate.

Anyway, there's so many games I want to play on XBO it's really painful for me I couldn't buy it with all these insane Black Friday deals for this one thing. May seem insignificant to you, but indies are seriously one of the most important areas of growth in this industry and potential AAA devs of tomorrow. They fill in all the idiosyncratic genre gaps that are simply too risky for AAAs and keep a myriad of genres alive that simply are not mass market viable anymore. They also fill in a critical mid-tier gap of AAs at times. In short, they are good for everyone.

I want so badly to play Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Halo:MCC (whenever it works). And Scalebound is the other huge game I cannot wait for, as Platinum is one of my favorite devs. As well as some fantastic indies they too have in the pipe.

I know it may seem like I'm anal retentive on this point and I repeat myself a lot, but it's because I think it's a big problem for the industry that Microsoft doesn't change this. It benefits no one and only causes damage, so I have to stand firm with my indie friends on this. :(

My friend offered me an insane deal on it and I was literally a day from pulling the trigger when Phil Spencer made this reaffirmation of a selfish, nonsensical (as it benefits no one, including MS and its fans) and seriously damaging to the most vulnerable devs amongst us policy. Previously in the year he had said they were reevaluating that policy and looking closely, so I was about to pull the trigger on my friend's offer and then that came out.

I cannot in good conscience support a console that so damningly hurts the most vulnerable and aspirational developers in the industry. I have a legion of friends who are indies, both irl and on GAF, and to me it's more important to show solidarity with them then with the corporation exerting their power for no reason whatsoever.

You DO have a ps4, so you can support your indie friends through that though, right?

I mean, in every recent AAA ms exclusive thread, we have these huge injected stories about a)reaching 299, 249, 199 and what have you price points, along with b) the -now prerequisite?- indie parity clause.

do we need this?

yeah it's Microsoft's

I can't wait to see Scalebound. One last policy change MS, one last thing and the XBO is mine. PLEASE do it before Scalebound at least :(
My only worry about Scalebound is that MS is just gonna stealth release this and not advertise it like they did with D4.

Amir0x

Banned
You DO have a ps4, so you can support your indie friends through that though, right?

I mean, in every recent AAA ms exclusive thread, we have these huge injected stories about a)reaching 299, 249, 199 and what have you price points, along with b) the -now prerequisite?- indie parity clause.

do we need this?

Please skip the posts you don't want to read. It's not your place to decide what the forum "needs" and we're all better served by ignoring the points we don't like hearing. Tons of posters make repetitive points all the time.

I am super hyped for Scalebound and really am excited to see where Platinum goes with it, they've been on fucking fire since becoming active developers. So...

I believe the ID@Xbox parity clause is the most important problem in the industry right now amongst consoles and I have been extremely consistent the entire time. I want an XBO, and I will get an XBO when all the problems on my list were fixed. The parity clause has always been on my list. It was just after Microsoft fixed all the other problems I had, i was giving them the benefit of the doubt on the parity clause due to the comments Phil Spencer made about reevaluating the policy and was literally only a day out from buying it until Phil Spencer reaffirmed the issue this October in such a callous way, I had to reignite my fight against it.

I mean this is no joke. It's very serious, and impacts the livelihood of indies who already have it hard.

So wherever possible and appropriate, since MS reads the site and has been known to change their policies over loud consumer complaints (and Phil Spencer has multiple times including after the outrage in Oct said they're looking at it), I will insert and emphasize how much I want the system and the games on it if only they would fix the problem.

Scalebound is one of my most anticipated games due to it being Platinum Games, and I want Microsoft to know how badly I want to play it if only they fix the issue, and I want to raise other gamers awareness of how serious the problem is.

p3tran

Banned
Please skip the posts you don't want to read. It's not your place to decide what the forum "needs" and we're all better served by ignoring the points we don't like hearing. Tons of posters make repetitive points all the time.

I am super hyped for Scalebound and really am excited to see where Platinum goes with it, they've been on fucking fire since becoming active developers. So...

I believe the ID@Xbox parity clause is the most important problem in the industry right now amongst consoles and I have been extremely consistent the entire time. I want an XBO, and I will get an XBO when all the problems on my list were fixed. The parity clause has always been on my list. It was just after Microsoft fixed all the other problems I had, i was giving them the benefit of the doubt on the parity clause due to the comments Phil Spencer made about reevaluating the policy and was literally only a day out from buying it until Phil Spencer reaffirmed the issue this October in such a callous way, I had to reignite my fight against it.

I mean this is no joke. It's very serious, and impacts the livelihood of indies who already have it hard.

So wherever possible and appropriate, since MS reads the site and has been known to change their policies over loud consumer complaints (and Phil Spencer has multiple times including after the outrage in Oct said they're looking at it), I will insert and emphasize how much I want the system and the games on it if only they would fix the problem.

Scalebound is one of my most anticipated games due to it being Platinum Games, and I want Microsoft to know how badly I want to play it if only they fix the issue, and I want to raise other gamers awareness of how serious the problem is.

how about not going off topic/derail mode in each ms exclusive game instead?

funny how you try to rationalize this by saying "because ms listens, I will keep injecting..."
really does not compute. write them letters if you like, do not mix your ...indie agenda(?) in every AAA exclusive discussion. its completely irrelevant. and off topic too.

by the way, and since you keep mentioning it like its something,
your parity clause demand is total bullshit in my opinion, as indies are presented from the very beginning with clear options from both sony and microsoft.
how they arrange their planning and execution, thats up to them, exactly like in any other business in the world.
they do know both the ms/sony rules before they start.

for example,
if I am the supplier of a product to two different chains, and I do want to provide for both chains, then I do have to accept/negotiate the rules those chains ask, right?
if one retail chain says "give your product to me one month before anyone else, and I will give you extra 3%",
while the other says "we will accept your product at your price, as long as it is not being sold before in the competing chain"
and then I go make the deal with the first chain for that 3%, is it not reasonable for a businessman to expect that his potential deal with the second chain will not be successful?
will it matter if I put 10 people on the forums writing that this policy is bullshit etc?
I dont think so.. in fact, I would prefer to spend my resources elsewhere as a producer.
same here, only replace generic product supplier with your favorite indie friend.

P3tran if you didn't quote amirox, he would have less incentive to once again go into his sad song and dance about muh indies

Its all about getting attention

I will be obligated to buy a XONE because of this, why platinum why??? I don't want this console, but i love platinum too much!

anyway, can't wait to see some gameplay

This game is going to make or break my Xbox purchase. Im still not sold on it. I love platinum games but not every Kamiya experiment is a good one.

I just hope JP in his new role as producer, serves as a counter-foil for Kamiyas excesses.

Sayter

I will be obligated to buy a XONE because of this, why platinum why??? I don't want this console, but i love platinum too much!

anyway, can't wait to see some gameplay

I love PlatinumGames too. I'm one of their biggest fans. But, like Amir0x, I can't see myself supporting what I believe are bad business practices for the industry.

Scalebound will be the first major PG release that I'll miss. But, I'm really excited for those who plan to play it. :)

Heh. Moving goalposts, etc

Amir0x will continue to find "reasons" to put off buying the XB1.

They aren't even goalposts at this point. They are nitpicks.

The crap that pisses me off is how he gushes about how he wishes he could play games like Forza or SSO in threads...like there is some physical barrier to him enjoying these things besides his own personal pride.

It's cool if you don't want a XB1 for whatever your reasons (it's your choice and I can respect it) are but stahp with the "man I really want to buy an XB1 but..." stuff.

It gets really old.

Son Of D

Not surprised, every IP Platinum have worked with have been owned by the publishers. Sega own Vanquish, Bayonetta, Mad World and Anarchy Reigns. Nintendo own W101 and Bayonetta 2. Konami owns Metal Gear Rising. Activision owns the rights to Korra.

I don't think Kamiya has made a bad game. From Resident Evil 2 up to Bayonetta.( Haven't played W101 yet.)

W101 is definitely his most polarizing game. However I myself did find it a great game.

waveking

Banned
Watching the CG trailer again to try and guess what kind of game it could be :D It has more hints about the gameplay than people think IMO

Sony the only one without an exklusive Platinum Game

drwho.gif

P3tran if you didn't quote amirox, he would have less incentive to once again go into his sad song and dance about muh indies

This is true.every damn thread about halo/sunset overdrive/forza "if only they did X then I would buy it once they hit Y price" -then proceeds to shit on xb1 in every thread under the guise of "I'm not biased! I'll buy one eventually"

Pretty much the same as Thuway's tweets..one token positive sentence then loads of complaints with no real intention to purchase.

klodeckel

Banned
Watching the CG trailer again to try and guess what kind of game it could be :D It has more hints about the gameplay than people think IMO

Yep, think so, too. Before the trailer played on the stage Kamiya said that "prepare for action on a whole new scale" ("Scalebound") - so I expect some large battles with huge creatures. That very last few seconds of the trailer are also maybe a hint for a possible co-op-mode.

Amir0x

Banned
Edit: You know, the words are already in the topic and the people complaining don't actually want to learn anything or think about people other than themselves, so I'll cut out the rest of the comment. Simply put: no goalposts have been moved, I have a list of changes posted on GAF months and months ago about what things they had to change and ID@Xbox parity clause was always on it. I just thought Phil Spencer was serious about evaluating the policy back in March when he said so, but he reaffirmed it in October which is why I had to once again step back. That's consistency.

If something is too far off topic, skip the posts and it dies. You don't have to engage every comment you dislike.

ViewtifulJC said:

It's so sad. You guys are so caught up in system wars nonsense that you're incapable of recognizing the genuine concern of a gamer for the most vulnerable devs in the industry. It's OK to think about others in a very real way. It's a human thing.

I really want Scalebound, as it's one of my favorite developers. I just slip in the indie stuff whenever I can when it's a topic MS might read because I always hope someone opens their heart and changes it. Out of genuine concern for my friends irl and GAF who are indie devs and want to open up the XBO market for themselves without limiting their ability to function.

waveking

Banned
Yep, think so, too. Before the trailer played on the stage Kamiya said that "prepare for action on a whole new scale" ("Scalebound") - so I expect some large battles with huge creatures. That very last few seconds of the trailer are also maybe a hint for a possible co-op-mode.
Also, the dude in the trailer gets covered in Dragon Scales at one point. Scalebound :p

No goalposts have been moved. I can show you a list I made literally back in January 2014 (might have been February.

Here is the list from back then:

• No Kinect with my system
• $299.99
• Stop lying about your system power

• End ID@Xbox Parity Clause
• Refocus for gamers
• Apps like Netflix, etc behind paywall

No goalposts have been shifted

All I know is last year, when the XB1 was released, you were in the Froza 5 related threads taking about how lucky that the players of that game were and how you were jealous of them and tempted to buy. Back then the thing you wanted out was the Kinect.

This continued in the SSO threads and the FH2 threads, iirc.

It's old, bro. If you have your mental checklist of stuff, then stop mentioning how "you are sooooo tempted" and "c'mon MS, just one more policy change" when you still have a 299.99 goalpost on your list.

It's silly and annoying. I kinda have you on lazy ignore (means i scroll past your replies on most things on the subject) for most things because you keep saying the exact same things, packaged differently.

It's ok, man. Don't buy an XB1 or do. It's up to you.

Just stop with the "boy, I suuuure want to buy an XB1 but..." schtick.

Amir0x

Banned
Last comment on this topic. SCALEBOUND is going to be rad, Platinum Games is awesome. Top 20 most most anticipated game coming.

It's silly and annoying. I kinda have you on lazy ignore (means i scroll past your replies on most things on the subject) for most things because you keep saying the exact same things, packaged differently.

oh so you admit I'm consistent and not moving goalposts then >:)

I edited my post with new comment and deleted the other stuff because it's clear nobody is open to understanding why it's so important in this topic, which is why I'm not sure you guys even responded. And if something is too far off topic, as this now clearly is since it's ALL we're focusing on now, just ignore and skip. Nobody is offended. Then the point dies.

The only reason why I keep mentioning this is because it remains the last serious problem. Because I always hope someone from MS reads topics like these, I tend to add an addendum comment to my main comment about whatever the subject is in hopes someone from MS reads it and maybe one day opens their heart and seriously contemplates the damage it is doing. It's nothing more sinister than that. I just really care about my indie friends irl and on GAF. We'd be all hearts and rainbows if we can get MS to change this one last thing. XBO gamers win too :)

Top Bottom