• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Ono, #PS3SticksForSF5

Neoxon

06_sf5images05.jpg
08_eareview06t.jpg
THIS INFORMATION ALSO APPLIES FOR #PS3SticksForGGXrd & OTHER FIGHTING GAMES LISTED IN THIS POST.

UPDATE: Ultra Street Fighter 4 will support PS3 arcade sticks (courtesy of Lab Zero's driver)! Hopefully the same will apply to SF5.

If you remember, I was the one who posted the thread for wired Pro Controllers for Smash. Granted, Nintendo gave us something even better (the GameCube Adapter, which most are still waiting for Wave 2 of), but now another controller-related issue has come to my attention. With Street Fighter 5 hitting PS4 & PCs god-knows-when, there's the issue that most PS4 games can't use PS3 arcade sticks. While the PS4 can't natively support them, developers can install drivers within their own games to support PS3 arcade sticks. Skullgirls Encore for the PS4 is a prime example of this, & if they can do it, Capcom certainly can. As for those who think that Capcom would be screwed over by MadCatz if they do this, that couldn't be further from the truth. MadCatz actually supports this, or at least Skullgirls Encore's use of the drivers. So as such, Capcom has nothing to worry about from them.
The PlayStation 4 version of 2D fighting game Skullgirls Encore will support PlayStation 3 fight sticks, developer Lab Zero Games has revealed.

The studio created a custom USB driver that means any stick that reads as a generic USB gamepad or joystick will work with the PS4 version of the game - and it's making the driver available to other developers free of charge.

It means players who already own a PS3 fight stick won't have to fork out hundreds of pounds for a PS4 version just to play with their controller of choice.

"Lab Zero feels very strongly about this," CEO Peter Batholow told GiantBomb.

"We think it's better for the consumer and the industry that you be able to spend your hard-earned money buying games instead of buying a new fight stick."

The video, below, shows Skullgirls programmer Mike Zaimont playing the PS4 version of the game, due out early 2015, using a PlayStation 3 Mad Catz Street Fighter 4 Tournament Edition fight stick.

The PS4 does not officially support PS3 fight sticks and so Lab Zero's driver will suffer some limitations (you'll need to switch back to a DualShock 4 to use the share feature, for example), but the developer is working to ensure it works with as many peripherals as possible.

It seems Sony has given Lab Zero Games' work its blessing: the driver will be tested at an upcoming official PlayStation event in December. In fact Naughty Dog programmer John "Cowboy" Bellomy wrote the driver in his spare time.

You'd think Mad Catz, maker of the fight stick used by Lab Zero to demonstrate the driver, would be upset, given it's in the market of selling new sticks for new consoles.

But in a Facebook post Mad Catz community manager "MarkMan" said the company was behind the initiative.

"Lots of love to the Skullgirls team for making this happen!" he said. "I've already seen a few comments online where people mentioned that myself or Mad Catz are probably angry because we can't sell you a new $200 PS4 stick. This is so far from the truth. We are glad that you can continue to use your FightStick & hope more developers follow suit so that our products can become your weapons for more years to come. Happy gaming!"
So for those who have a Twitter account, tweet #PS3SticksForSF5 to Ono, Sony, & Capcom. Hopefully at this stage of development, they'll listen. As someone who owns a PS3 Eightarc Onyx (complete with wood finish, felt bottom, & Sanwa parts), I wouldn't want to trade it away for anything, & I'm sure there are others who feel the same for their sticks.

DEVELOPERS & OFFICIAL CHANNELS (MAINLY SONY & CAPCOM)
NOTEABLE PEOPLE IN THE FIGHTING GAME COMMUNITY (PLAYERS, STREAMERS, SPONSORS, ETC.)
Tweet using #PS3SticksForSF5

And since SF5 isn't the only fighter on the PS4, please support the following as well...

#PS3SticksForGGXrd
Tweet Aksys Games & Arc System Works

#PS3SticksForTekken7
Tweet Bandai Namco & Katsuhiro Harada

#PS3SticksForDoA5
Tweet Koei Tecmo & Team Ninja

#PS3SticksForMKX
Tweet Ed Boon, Tyler Lansdown, & Steve Brownback
EDIT: Good news for MK fans.
EvPDxuL.png

Special thanks to Konosuke for the Twitter links & the idea for the idea for signs at the Capcom Cup, & joe2187 for the other non-SF games.

I think it would be fantastic if Capcom backed this, but I feel that unlike something like Skullgirls, SF V would be a FANTASTIC way of selling new sticks to people (from a business perspective), and I'm not sure if stick manufacturers would be okay with a major factor (Street Fighter) in their sales saying "eh, old sticks are fine enough".

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely want this to happen, but I already see someone on the executive level saying "nah."

MarkMan please support this. My stick is already compatible with everything but PS4 and having driver support would be awesome.

Nephtes

Actually... This would be a good reason to get it for the PC... I bet my SFIV fight pad will work on the PC version. MadCatz doesn't seem to be making fight pads for the new consoles. :C

Edit: technically...your Twitter hashtag doesn't make sense BECAUSE PS3 sticks are compatible with the PC which will play SFV.

Edit 2: #PS3SticksForSFVForPS4 ?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
i would like this to happen, but I'm probably buying this on PC due to my HRAP3s working on Steam ^_^

Give me a reason to double dip Based Ono.

Neoxon

He would be one of the last persons supporting this :p
Quite the contrary.
MarkMan said:
"Lots of love to the Skullgirls team for making this happen!" he said. "I've already seen a few comments online where people mentioned that myself or Mad Catz are probably angry because we can't sell you a new $200 PS4 stick. This is so far from the truth. We are glad that you can continue to use your FightStick & hope more developers follow suit so that our products can become your weapons for more years to come. Happy gaming!"

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah, I have a Hori Real Arcade Pro that I would like to use just in general on the PS4.

Neoxon

I have a x360 stick sooo I'm screwed anyway gotta buy a stick for the ps4 anyway
You can easily mod your stick to work with the PS3 or PS4 (or both if you get the right PCB). In fact, you have it easier to mod your Xbox stick to play nice with Sony systems than the other way around. This movement would help you take out the guess-work of which PCB to buy.

That is true, but I wanted to let people know about the hashtag to use on Twitter right from the get-go. Plus there's a Twitter account that posts links to new NeoGAF threads.

Fair enough.

wouldn't be the first successful campaign of this sort started on GAF. If you don't like it, there are lots of other threads for you to comment in.
If you don't like my comment, then there are enough others you can read.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
#PS3ONPS4SF5RIVERSTIX

I love hash tags

Emarv

I'd love to still use my PS3 stick but I can totally see this as a chance for new sticks to be sold.

You can easily mod your stick to work with the PS3 or PS4 (or both if you get the right PCB). In fact, you have it easier to mod your Xbox stick to play nice with Sony systems than the other way around. This movement would help you take out the guess-work of which PCB to buy.

You could always put a piggyback pcb in your stick like I did with my 360 TE for use on my PS3.

This driver would support that as well!

#Ps3SticksForSFV

Sou Da

Shouldn't you be asking this for UltraSFIV? I'm sure by the time SFV really starts their marketing, they're going to try and sell new sticks.

Seik

Banned
I need my HRAPV3 to work with this. D:

I really don't want to invest a similar amount of money on a new stick, this one does the job perfectly.

mattp

oh man, yes, please fucking do this
my sf4 te stick is in perfect condition. i don't want to buy new ones

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite part of the announcement, was knowing this was cross-play with PC since my stick is guaranteed to work. Also, the fact that now Capcom is forced to have parity of netcode across both platforms.

It will be shit in both. :(

Neoxon

My favorite part of the announcement, was knowing this was cross-play with PC since my stick is guaranteed to work. Also, the fact that now Capcom is forced to have parity of netcode across both platforms.

It will be shit in both. :(
To be fair, the PS4 has better online than the PS3 (mostly since it's paid).

Konosuke

Actually... This would be a good reason to get it for the PC... I bet my SFIV fight pad will work on the PC version. MadCatz doesn't seem to be making fight pads for the new consoles. :C

Edit: technically...your Twitter hashtag doesn't make sense BECAUSE PS3 sticks are compatible with the PC which will play SFV.

Edit 2: #PS3SticksForSFVForPS4 ?

It makes sense. My PS3 TE version 2 stick doesn't work with my laptop. I fully support this campaign.
Would also buy a stick+game combo, just saying

Top Bottom