• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ex-Sony Bend dev talks about Syphon Filter, new game & a ditched Uncharted

Corpsepyre

Banned
Was this posted? Didn't see a topic.

Reddit user 'athey', who worked at Sony Bend for several years, mentioned all of this. (Former Sony Bend artist, Athey Moravetz)

Here are the tidbits.

http://www.reddit.com/user/athey/

---

On whether there will be a new Syphon Filter:

'Hah. No. Don’t hold your breath on that one.
Source: worked at Sony Bend for 8 yrs

John Garvin got burned out on Syphon Filter. He wanted to make something different. People seem to like to ignore that Gabe Logan died at the end of Logan’s Shadow. Garvin literally killed off the main character so he wouldn’t have to make any more SF games. Plus, despite all the praise, they didn’t sell. Very low sales all around
.'

On the new project:

'I know what they’re doing, but even if I don’t work there anymore, I don’t think it would be kosher to go running my mouth off.
Hard to say if you should be excited. There’s a group of super talented guys there, and pretty much every project has been chaos till the last 6 mo when they usually work super hard to pull it together.
But there’s a lot of burnout right now. Lots of talent has left over the last year
'.

On a nixed Uncharted and Infamous pitch:

It was going to be another Uncharted game but naughty dog was worried about franchise burnout with so many games coming out so close together, so they nixed it. We spent like a whole year dicking around with different ideas and pitches after that before I left the studio. We started and threw away so many demos during that year.

Sony really wanted another Uncharted from us and tried to convince Naughty Dog to let us do it. They wanted more content for Vita.
And we did make an infamous pitch at one point, too. I think that was the first pitch and demo we made after the uncharted project was canned. The infamous game would have been a vita title too.

We did a couple new IP pitches. One was steampunk but that didn’t make it very far. There was a really awesome futuristic sci if one that I really liked. We had an amazing future scifi city and a character that could run around and scale buildings with these jet boots, and it was awesome. We had a lot of assets done for that demo when it was canned. I was really bummed when that one got binned.

I left the studio about 2 years ago and that was when they were making the switch to Unreal 4 and PS4, instead of Vita. It was a bit of a waste since we’d put so much time and resources into making a vita engine and then only used it on one title. But a couple other first party studios used versions of our engine and we lent them support, so it didn’t totally go to waste.

I think Unit 13 from Zipper Interactive used our engine. Don’t remember who else did though.
I think the shift to PS4 was a desperate bid to get something greenlit. When you go through so many pitches and get one after another tossed out for various reasons, you start trying anything.

I recall it was always upper management, demographic, genre saturation kinda crap. Like, ‘someone is already making a game something along those lines that would come out 5mo prior to your GM date’, or ‘we’ve had too many games of that sort that didn’t sell well enough’, or projections for that kind of blah blah blah…

Also, kind of like the complaints about Hollywood only making generic formula action hits because they make money, rather than take a risk on something different that might not make money.
Same thing exists in games, obviously.

You'd think that Sony would have more of a say as to what Uncharted game gets made or not over Naughty Dog. Oh well.

They do, but at the same time they obviously want to make sure ND remain happy. That's far more important than pushing another Uncharted game on the Vita.

Toki767

Sounds like Sony Bend were trying to be the big fish in a small pond with Vita support, but after having so much difficulty getting stuff greenlit, they just had to move to PS4 development.

Raist

Banned
Boy, he sounds jaded as fuck.
Must be exhausting to contantly work on potential projects and be told "too different, won't sell, next" and then "we got this already, next" over and over again.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Well to be fair the ending to Logans Shadow felt very much like a cliffhanger rather than a definitive end to Gabe Logan. It never really felt like a 'Gabe is truly dead' moment. Still, I guess no SF anytime soon :(

Sounds like they're lucky not to have been shut down :/ The steampunk game sounded cool, looking forward to seeing what they come up with on PS4

On whether there will be a new Syphon Filter:

'Hah. No. Don’t hold your breath on that one.
Source: worked at Sony Bend for 8 yrs

John Garvin got burned out on Syphon Filter. He wanted to make something different. People seem to like to ignore that Gabe Logan died at the end of Logan’s Shadow. Garvin literally killed off the main character so he wouldn’t have to make any more SF games. Plus, despite all the praise, they didn’t sell. Very low sales all around
.'

Fuck. Here I thought the Logan's Shadow ending was meant to be a cliffhanger.

A real bummer on the infamous vita title and the steampunk one. The Vita could have used either.

Backbreaker_thumb_05_SITE.jpg

Moofers

You'd think that Sony would have more of a say as to what Uncharted game gets made or not over Naughty Dog. Oh well.

I'm glad they don't. We sure don't need another Uncharted game every 2 years. They are great games, but I don't even play Assassin's Creed anymore because I had just finished 2 when Revelations or Brotherhood or whatever one came out and I was behind. Then the next one hit before I felt like playing more AC and I was 2 games behind. Now I'm like 5 games back? I have no idea whats going on in that story and I'm just kind of done with it. I'd hate to see Uncharted turn into that.

ZeroX03

Banned
Thank God Naughty Dog shut down a second Uncharted from them, Golden Abyss was awful. Have no faith in them with Infamous either. Hopefully whatever they do on PS4 will be a step up.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

They do, but at the same time they obviously want to make sure ND remain happy. That's far more important than forcing than pushing another Uncharted game on the Vita.

Yeah, when you have a studio that's by far earning you the most praise and unit sales in recent times, and the thing they want to do is not have another spin-off that will ship maybe 1 million copies come out on a mostly dead platform, it's a pretty easy call to make.

You usually see the biggest studios at publishers get more leeway. For example DICE is making Battlefield and Battlefront, so they get to greenlight something risky like Mirror's Edge and house the Brothers team to make a new art game. Or at Ubisoft, if you direct 1-2+ major hits for the company, you can apply to go work on a downloadable game that's a niche product.

Its sad they they didn't another big Vita title, but I'm sure it wouldn't have sold no matter how good it would've been.
Western AAA is just no fit for Vita.
Lot of unused potential there with Vitas hardware. I would've loved to see what devs with more experience with the hardware could've done with the machine.
Another game by BEND, another entry in the Wipeout franchise by Liverpool or another game by Guerilla Camebridge... oh well.

Hope their Ps4 game turns out good.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We did a couple new IP pitches. One was steampunk but that didn’t make it very far. There was a really awesome futuristic sci if one that I really liked. We had an amazing future scifi city and a character that could run around and scale buildings with these jet boots, and it was awesome. We had a lot of assets done for that demo when it was canned. I was really bummed when that one got binned.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I want this game :(

Dsyndrome

What genre saturation would come from Infamous Vita? Too much like Liberation, only with super powers? Sad that it never got greenlit.

mejin

If it's true, Sony will close the studio soon, it's like they can't create nothing really appealing on their own.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If it's true, Sony will close the studio soon, it's like they can't create nothing really appealing on their own.
Naughty Dog didn't come up with Uncharted on their own either, that was from up high.

This has nothing to do with not being able to come up with something, it has to do with also aligning what the person with the purse wants at any given moment.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Golden Abyss was awful and I doubt you could pull off inFamous on the Vita so it's no surprise those pitches got canned. Hopefully their PS4 IP is interesting.

Infamous Vita makin me weep :(

Golden Abyss was awful and I doubt you could pull off inFamous on the Vita so it's no surprise those pitches got canned. Hopefully their PS4 IP is interesting.

Don't know why you couldn't pull of inFamous on Vita, Gravity Rush is a similar sort of game and works really well. With the tech skill and engine base Bend had, it would've been no trouble.

Naughty Dog didn't come up with Uncharted on their own either, that was from up high.

This has nothing to do with not being able to come up with something, it has to do with also aligning what the person with the purse wants at any given moment.

All I've ever read is that Amy Hennig was hired during Jak 3 to create a new IP for the studio and Uncharted is where they landed. In what way did Uncharted come from above?

Top Bottom