• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ex-Sony Bend dev talks about Syphon Filter, new game & a ditched Uncharted

Massa

I'm glad they're not making another Uncharted, the writing wasn't up to par. Great shooter, terrible Uncharted game.

We did a couple new IP pitches. One was steampunk but that didn’t make it very far. There was a really awesome futuristic sci if one that I really liked. We had an amazing future scifi city and a character that could run around and scale buildings with these jet boots, and it was awesome. We had a lot of assets done for that demo when it was canned. I was really bummed when that one got binned.

Goddamit, Sony.

This sounds amazing.

Barakov

Fuck. Here I thought the Logan's Shadow ending was meant to be a cliffhanger.

It sounds like they really wanted to get away from Syphon Filter or at least Garvin did. And given how Logan's Shadow didn't perform that well it was probably perfect opportunity to do just that.

Takao

Banned
Don't know why you couldn't pull of inFamous on Vita, Gravity Rush is a similar sort of game and works really well. With the tech skill and engine base Bend had, it would've been no trouble.

He's saying he doesn't think Bend could pull it off, not Vita.

I thought Sony Bend's Uncharted game was actually pretty great.

Tilting the Vita ever so slightly to fine tune your aim really worked well.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
He's saying he doesn't think Bend could pull it off, not Vita.

Well considering Sucker Punch's Infamous games are mediocre at best I don't know how Bend could do any worse. They also made one of the best Resistance games.

I thought Sony Bend's Uncharted game was actually pretty great.

Tilting the Vita ever so slightly to fine tune your aim really worked well.

Same here, it's my favourite Uncharted after 2.

Ridley327

What genre saturation would come from Infamous Vita? Too much like Liberation, only with super powers? Sad that it never got greenlit.

The "hey, we spent a lot of money on a game tied to a platform with horrible software sales" genre, I would imagine.

I'm only half-joking, too.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
All I've ever read is that Amy Hennig was hired during Jak 3 to create a new IP for the studio and Uncharted is where they landed. In what way did Uncharted come from above?
In the sense that Sony as the publisher guided them in the direction of a third person shooter, as that was what Sony wanted at that time.

I can't find a source for it at the moment, so consider it hearsay for now. Maybe someone that knows more can chime in.

TripOpt55

I was wondering what was going on over there all this time. Kind of a bummer to hear about the canned Vita projects. An Infamous one would have been cool and I would have welcomed a new IP or Uncharted as well. I look forward to seeing their next project as I've been a big fan of theirs for a while.

autoduelist

Golden Abyss was awful and I doubt you could pull off inFamous on the Vita so it's no surprise those pitches got canned. Hopefully their PS4 IP is interesting.

I really enjoyed it, except for the overuse of some of the more obscure vita features, but that's normal with any launch title on a new device -- they're often told to make use of every feature.

I actually enjoyed some of the touch stuff. Just not the fights. Drawing your 'climb' was really, really nice. And making rubbings of things was cool enough too.

I mean, the first Uncharted made use of the gyro to cross logs... same basic thing.

I'd have bought a sequel in a heart beat.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Banned sites are banned for a reason.

In this case, the source is actually reddit, so I'm going to reopen.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sony seemed really tough in greenlitting games, hopefully with the success of the PS4 they eased up on the studios. Tho that didn't prevent that Santa Monica game being canned.

What does an openworld horror game mean anyway? Is it like the early Silent Hill games or something?

Takao

Banned
What would be the reason to canned this? Sony doesn't make Sci-fi games and I don't really see which game it could've been close to. It's a shame it's sound interesting

Can you name a new retail handheld IP from Sony's US based studios? I can't. I figure there's a reason why Bend went from their own series to spinoff duty.

What would be the reason to canned this? Sony doesn't make Sci-fi games and I don't really see which game it could've been close to. It's a shame it's sound interesting

Well, all we have from it is an extremely generic (and this time that word is appropriate) description. All she said is that it's a sci fi setting and you can run up buildings with jet boots. How does that sound amazing?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Fuck sake, could have had an Infamous on Vita? Its hard to understand just what the people calling the shots at Sony studios have been doing these past few years. Like, theyre lucky they got the hardware side of things so right and some intelligent partnerships with third party, but they've been kinda fucking good internal studios over with real short-sightedness for what feels like ages now.

Can you name a new retail handheld IP from Sony's US based studios? I can't. I figure there's a reason why Bend went from their own series to spinoff duty.

That was for a Vita game? I guess I misunderstood then, I thought that Uncharted and Infamous were the only Vita project they had.

That would have been so cool, now I'm sad...

Ridley327

Yeah, the last one Sony announced was Warrior's Lair, which was very publicly cancelled.

Must be really bad for morale to work on a series of different projects for years, only to see none of them come to fruition. Doesn't sound like the team is in the best mindset right now, so good luck to them on their PS4 venture. Hope it all works out.

Edit - Would've been really nice to see one of those Vita games get released.

shink

Also it seemed like Bend was happy to keep making Vita titles but Sony WWS upper management stopped all their Vita game pitches =(

MrMatt555

On whether there will be a new Syphon Filter:

'Hah. No. Don’t hold your breath on that one.
Source: worked at Sony Bend for 8 yrs

John Garvin got burned out on Syphon Filter. He wanted to make something different. People seem to like to ignore that Gabe Logan died at the end of Logan’s Shadow. Garvin literally killed off the main character so he wouldn’t have to make any more SF games. Plus, despite all the praise, they didn’t sell. Very low sales all around
.'

FUCK.

Athey Moravetz is probs Justin Moravetz.

I don't think Athey Moravetz is a person.

EDIT: I love crow...

So Athey and Justin Moravetz both worked at Bend! :p

"Naughty Dog worried about franchise burnout."

>Releases a fucking awful card game

Yeaaaaaaaahhh uh

I'm not sure what your point is. The card game is obviously radically different from standard Uncharted games. Franchise burnout comes from too many games that play similarly.

Bricky

Yeaaaaaaaahhh uh

Some random card game for Vita is hardly going to make people say 'Man, I've sure played enough games in the Uncharted franchise after this'.

mejin

Naughty Dog didn't come up with Uncharted on their own either, that was from up high.

This has nothing to do with not being able to come up with something, it has to do with also aligning what the person with the purse wants at any given moment.

Dunno, man. Sony publishes all sort of games, a lot of crap for diversity sake and new ips. Like I said, it it's true I think they lost focus when ND blocked another portable Uncharted.

Maybe it really is Sony fault, but Golden Abyss launched on 2011...it's so long since we have no infos from Bend and I really find it hard to believe Sony canceling good projects throughout this time since.

But look I like and cheer for them. I do hope they are now working on a title to show us, I believe in them and (fingers crossed) Sony too.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I can't say I'm unhappy about the canned Uncharted VITA game. Would have been too many Uncharted games in a span of a few years.

You'd think that Sony would have more of a say as to what Uncharted game gets made or not over Naughty Dog. Oh well.

its probably like a rockstar and 2k thing. yea 2k is the boss but rockstar is Big Boss, you wanna keep em happy at all cost, they're the ones that make it rain yo.

Takao

Banned

Yeaaaaaaaahhh uh

instead of that they should've put out an uncharted equivalent to syphon filter combat ops
small PSN multi-only game that reuses assets from the base game

Silky

Banned
I'm not sure what your point is. The card game is obviously radically different from standard Uncharted games. Franchise burnout comes from too many games that play similarly.

Some random card game for Vita is hardly going to make people say 'Man, I've sure played enough games in the Uncharted franchise after this'.

That's bullshit. Look at the megaman series from the PS2/GCN/XB era and the releases it has (a good chunk of them considered mediocre) and how the franchise came to a screeching halt come MegaMan 10. The franchise was burned out at that point.

Resistance had five games under it's mantle and only two of them were good. Result? Franchise burnout, series on hiatus.

Ratchet and Clank was churning out bad sequels up until Into the Nexus, if it wasn't for the obvious pause in R&C titles being releaased that franchise would've ended up the same way.

Hell there are a ton of people burned out on Pokemon too.

instead of that they should've put out an uncharted equivalent to syphon filter combat ops
small PSN multi-only game that reuses assets from the base game

I'd like that too and that's why I'm upset. A developer within Sony ready and willing to get shit done with a nice piece of hardware and all of their pitches turned down. Sad.

HOLD UP!

Sony and Bend wanted another Uncharted game and ND nixed it?

How do they get to make decisions on what games get made and which one's don't?

Sony owns ND and pays for the game development, not the other way around.

Top Bottom