• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ex-Sony Bend dev talks about Syphon Filter, new game & a ditched Uncharted

Somewhere in SF, Greg Miller is crying into his pillow over a canned InFamous for Vita. Really wish that came to fruition.

I'm also impressed at ND having carte blanche in telling Sony and Bend "no" to more Uncharted for Vita too. Gotta keep that franchise fresh I guess.

Not surprised.

A studio with that much of a pedigree from the last gen for making handheld stuff jumping to PS4 seemed a bit off to me.

I didn't like Uncharted Golden Abyss, but I thought they did a good job with it and had a good foundation (both in that series and through that engine) to do other things on Vita.

A shame the other projects didn't pull through. I'd love an InFAMOUS Vita title; the sci-fi cancelled project sounded like it had potential.

Well, all we have from it is an extremely generic (and this time that word is appropriate) description. All she said is that it's a sci fi setting and you can run up buildings with jet boots. How does that sound amazing?

What about it doesn't sound amazing?

Futuristic sci-fi environment with what I imagine are lots of very high buildings, etc and a very agile character thanks to jet boots. The potential is off the charts.

Elitist1945

HOLD UP!

Sony and Bend wanted another Uncharted game and ND nixed it?

How do they get to make decisions on what games get made and which one's don't?

Sony owns ND and pays for the game development, not the other way around.

Sony basically lets Naughty Dog do what they want, I think.

Empty

depressing if true. making a big budget vita game would lose money, but not as much as a studio doing nothing productive for a couple of years. they could have done some cool stuff building off golden abyss.

gafneo

Banned
Bullshit. Never got to play the PSP games because they are not on the vita store. The dick gave away the end. If the main character died, give us Leon Xing. If Bend isn't making a spy game of sorts, I could careless.

HOLD UP!

They're Sony's best studio currently so I guess Sony didn't want to mess with then risking to lose talent over a Vita game.

kenta

Has no PEINS
HOLD UP!

I think the word for that is "respect"

If you had created Uncharted and The Last of Us, I think you'd expect it too

Also what is the deal with this comment:

Hard to say if you should be excited. There’s a group of super talented guys there, and pretty much every project has been chaos till the last 6 mo when they usually work super hard to pull it together.
But there’s a lot of burnout right now. Lots of talent has left over the last year'

Way to diminish and scorn your own former team!

StoopKid

Hard to say if you should be excited. There’s a group of super talented guys there, and pretty much every project has been chaos till the last 6 mo when they usually work super hard to pull it together.
But there’s a lot of burnout right now. Lots of talent has left over the last year'

Probably salty.

That's bullshit. Look at the megaman series from the PS2/GCN/XB era and the releases it has (a good chunk of them considered mediocre) and how the franchise came to a screeching halt come MegaMan 10. The franchise was burned out at that point.

Resistance had five games under it's mantle and only two of them were good. Result? Franchise burnout, series on hiatus.

Ratchet and Clank was churning out bad sequels up until Into the Nexus, if it wasn't for the obvious pause in R&C titles being releaased that franchise would've ended up the same way.

Hell there are a ton of people burned out on Pokemon too.

And in those cases you're talking about games that played similarly. You're seeing it right now with Assassin's Creed. A series that's now in yearly releases that isn't changing all that much from release to release. And that's leading to franchise burnout. Yes, quality has to do with it on some level. But it's also about similar structures. That's why you're seeing ND talk about how they're opening U4 up so it's not as linear as it's been in the past. They don't want it to get to a point of franchise burnout. Once U4 releases it'll be four years since the last mainline entry.

What about it doesn't sound amazing?

Futuristic sci-fi environment with what I imagine are lots of very high buildings, etc and a very agile character thanks to jet boots. The potential is off the charts.

Because it doesn't tell you anything other than a setting and a single feature. It's like someone saying that they're making a medieval game where you can cast magic.

Blueblur1

I don't understand the desire for a new Siphon Filter. Those games were never really good, IMO. Just B titles that one could easily ignore.

HOLD UP!

you keep your most successful studios happy or you can dictate what they do.

Bungie knows all too well

Ridley327

Fuck sake, could have had an Infamous on Vita? Its hard to understand just what the people calling the shots at Sony studios have been doing these past few years. Like, theyre lucky they got the hardware side of things so right and some intelligent partnerships with third party, but they've been kinda fucking good internal studios over with real short-sightedness for what feels like ages now.

Can you blame them for being skittish around western IPs on the system? Outside of Uncharted, they've sold double garbage bin numbers. Even critically adored titles like Tearaway couldn't sell shit until it was half off, and those numbers were still goddamned terrible. The Vita audience simply doesn't respond well to those kinds of games.

What baffles me is why Sony had to spend so much money and subsequently shutter a handful of studios to run into the same problem again that plagued them on the PSP with regards to western audience responses to handheld spinoffs of console franchises. They made an awful case for them then, and they didn't fare any better this time around, either.

oggob

See the Infamous Vita title should have been a no brainer...

Infamous 2 > Good Ending Selected as Canon > Infamous Second Son on PS4

Infamous 2 > Bad Ending Selected as Alternate Universe > Infamous Vita

Sad that this didn't happen!

Shabad

Tough luck...

It's quite common to get your early projets canned during the pre-production. At least the Uncharted was canned for good reason, and the others probably are casualties of the recent Sony Vita strategy.

I hope that Bend, like Ready At Dawn, will rise to challenge of home console development :)

Sad to hear that Syphon Filter has been shelved. Another IP Sony have thrown to the wolves. Make way Daniel Fortesque, behind Jen and Scree. Just further back with Sony Liverpool. Back of the bus Logan.

If I were Sony I would ask small studios and indies to develop new installement in their old IPs, they could release it on PSN only
or as Vita exclusives
I remember some insider (maybe Verendus?) saying that they'll be doing something along those lines starting 2016, I hope that's true.

I-hate-u

PSP sold so well, and despite the piracy issues, it was a viable market for first party. Vita is the exact opposite, so it makes sense that handheld exclusive developers move on to the bigger markets.

That's rather rude.. :\

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Can you blame them for being skittish around western IPs on the system? Outside of Uncharted, they've sold double garbage bin numbers. Even critically adored titles like Tearaway couldn't sell shit until it was half off, and those numbers were still goddamned terrible. The Vita audience simply doesn't respond well to those kinds of games.

What baffles me is why Sony had to spend so much money and subsequently shutter a handful of studios to run into the same problem again that plagued them on the PSP with regards to western audience responses to handheld spinoffs of console franchises. They made an awful case for them then, and they didn't fare any better this time around, either.

I get ye, yeah, Vita games aren't sellers in many ways. Where it all gets a bit silly is Bend have thus been prototyping and producing nothing since 2011 because so much of it got nixed. Like, if just one project had gone through, they'd be onto the next one by now anyway. Instead theres just this huge gap there where Sony were still paying wages but not actually seeing anything to bolster libraries. Thats opportunity cost and Sony's software heads have gotten REALLY shit with that. I invoke The Last Guardian as the ultimate example.

LAA

I'm just upset seeing all those Vita games never seeing the light of day.
Infamous Vita did seem to be real then...though seemingly didn't get far, if at all.

How sad, while I love my Vita, I'm hesistant supporting Sony for their next portable if they so choose, (Which would be cool as it would seemingly have a 1088p screen if the res is doubled again like it has been since PSP). If they're just gonna drop all the support when its not going well (Unlike the PS3 where they pushed for years and eventually got it to a great spot), then thats just poor support, and while there are gems on it, I just feel massively sad comparing it (in my head) to the console I know it could be and deserves to be.

Alo0oy

Banned
In the sense that Sony as the publisher guided them in the direction of a third person shooter, as that was what Sony wanted at that time.

I can't find a source for it at the moment, so consider it hearsay for now. Maybe someone that knows more can chime in.

It was the opposite, FPS games were booming & Sony wanted an FPS, but Amy wanted a cinematic TPS, which didn't exist at the time.

I could be wrong in a few details but I'm 100% sure that Sony wanted Uncharted to be something else.

GnawtyDog

Banned
New IP. Nothing wrong in that.

I however think they would of been the perfect studio to remaster the Uncharted Games on PS4.

Wait some people surprise that ND has rank at Sony ?
This is the studio that made 2 new IPs that sold millions and won hundreds of goty awards.
Of course sony is going want to keep them happy.

Chobel

She works at home making Unity Store models as an occupation.

She doesn't need to get hired by another studio, so she has a lot more free reign.

Still, you'd think she signed some NDAs and stuff that's forbid her from talking about her ex company publicly, especially stuff like "But there’s a lot of burnout right now. Lots of talent has left over the last year"

It was going to be another Uncharted game but naughty dog was worried about franchise burnout with so many games coming out so close together, so they nixed it.

Good call.

The infamous game would have been a vita title too.

Shame about this one though, would've liked an Infamous on Vita. There was a pretty gap between I2 and SS that they could've filled nicely with a Vita title.

Yeah, when you have a studio that's by far earning you the most praise and unit sales in recent times, and the thing they want to do is not have another spin-off that will ship maybe 1 million copies come out on a mostly dead platform, it's a pretty easy call to make.

You usually see the biggest studios at publishers get more leeway. For example DICE is making Battlefield and Battlefront, so they get to greenlight something risky like Mirror's Edge and house the Brothers team to make a new art game. Or at Ubisoft, if you direct 1-2+ major hits for the company, you can apply to go work on a downloadable game that's a niche product.

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't even a Naughty Dog specific thing though and is instead a SCEWWS thing. It makes sense to give studios complete control over the franchises they've made, regardless of whether Sony could make some money on the side.

Alo0oy

Banned
its probably like a rockstar and 2k thing. yea 2k is the boss but rockstar is Big Boss, you wanna keep em happy at all cost, they're the ones that make it rain yo.

It's more like Sony's big studios have the freedom to do whatever they want as long as their projects are maximizing profit.

We've seen countless interviews where devs from ND, SSM, MM, & Japan Studio said they have complete freedom to do whatever they want & Sony just writes checks. I don't know why nobody believed them.

Not surprised they would can the Vita games. With the way Vita games sell they wouldn't cover those dev costs.

I don't think so, they're only 50 and the engine was already up and running, at least they would've made back some money if they released a game then right now with nothing but cancelled projects.

Expecting people who left, to be positive about the place is kinda unrealistic.

But I don't doubt what she's saying. There's always two sides to that kinda story.

NateDrake

I would have loved to see them take on an inFamous Festival of Blood type of release for Vita. I think they made the right call on Uncharted.

I want to see Bend take on Jak. They seem to be the new "second" dev of Naughty Dog and Insomniac, and now kinda maybe sorta Sucker Punch (Sanzaru more or less holds this title at the moment).

I wish Bend got to do Resistance on Vita. Retribution was pretty cool and got fantastic reception seemingly. What on Earth did Sony see in Nihilistic?

chadskin

See the Infamous Vita title should have been a no brainer...

Infamous 2 > Good Ending Selected as Canon > Infamous Second Son on PS4

Infamous 2 > Bad Ending Selected as Alternate Universe > Infamous Vita

Sad that this didn't happen!

Damn. That would've indeed been really awesome. Not sure I like that the Vita gets the bad ending, though. Vita means life you know :(

Ridley327

I want to see Bend take on Jak. They seem to be the new "second" dev of Naughty Dog and Insomniac, and now kinda maybe sorta Sucker Punch (Sanzaru more or less holds this title at the moment).

I wish Bend got to do Resistance on Vita. Retribution was pretty cool and got fantastic reception seemingly. What on Earth did Sony see in Nihilistic?

Someone who could get a game done in a very short time frame to help with genre diversification on the system. A trick so nice, they did it twice with Call of Duty!

Takao

Banned

last time these guys made a platformer it didn't turn out so hot

as for nihilistic
probably got that contract cheap
after all their first game was move exclusive

Top Bottom