• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck Xbox One's Disconnecting Controllers And Frustrating Inability To Fix It

In an age where every little thing pertaining to video games is scrutinized, how is Microsoft's randomly disconnecting Xbox One controller not talked about more? Just because it's only affecting some and not all?

There are multiple threads regarding this issue on different forums, including GAF, reddit, GameFaqs and the Xbox Support Forums. Additionally, article(s) have been written about it.

Microsoft keeps posting on its forums, saying that it's trying to identify a fix, but has yet to really do much. Sure, it's surveying those affected, but still. It's usually just canned updates.

It's frustrating that people who've paid $400-500 plus taxes (and whatever else for accessories and games) are having to plug in their controllers in order to ensure stability. Else, they risk the controller regularly disconnecting or doing so at random, such as once a session or maybe four times per one mission. It's out of the blue and stops at will.

This needs to be fixed, for fuck sakes. Why aren't more pitchforks being raised?

Most responses on the matter are interference related or user error, but what if that's not the case? At least, at the fault of the user, who has nothing blocking the signal and no other devices (even a cellphone or microwave) on? Why does it do it most at 2am when nothing else is on at all?

dankir

What's the problem? I've never had it happen to me once and I've had an X1 since launch. 3 controllers as well.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Go to settings, controllers and devices, and then update your controller to see if it resolves the issue?

I updated my controller some months back and it went from annoying to basically non existing. Have you tried that? It's not obvious how to do it.

Have you tried plugging your controllers in and updating them?

It does so with different battery types (play and charge kits, plus AA batteries), has done so with 2 controllers and with 3 consoles.

And, yep: It's been updated and troubleshooted with support.

The controller only disconnects when my controllers battery is dead
Other than that it's never acted like yours OP

Maybe yours is defective , exchange it if you can

Bessy67

It does so with different battery types (play and charge kits, plus AA batteries), has done so with 3 controllers and with 3 consoles.
No, I mean you can use a USB to plug your controller into the console and update the controller's firmware.

It does so with different battery types (play and charge kits, plus AA batteries), has done so with 2 controllers and with 3 consoles.

Ive used eneloop, AA, and charge kits and really dont think ive ever had it happen to me.

Do you have the links to the support sections? Did you plug in a USB cable and update your controllers?

Perhaps people who have the issue should consult on things like their set-up, router/wifi etc, its a strange issue to have and I have never had it myself...

My controller has stopped working a couple times now, only the middle button does anything. Totally bizarre. I don't know anyone who had the same issue though.

It disconnects randomly, just for a couple of seconds, then turns itself back on. The middle X button turns off, then flashes a few times before turning back on. Usually, a warning prompt comes up about disconnection, then you press A.

Here's a link to a lengthy discussion thread on MSFT's forum.

A link to reddit, where they're talking about it.

Rafterman

Banned

Well, that's not an Xbone problem then. There is something in your house messing with the signal.

iMax

This has never happened to me once on any of my controllers. Sure you haven't got devices interfering?

Glip_Glop

I've had it happen to me 8 times in a row last week. I've noticed it doesn't do it when I hold it sort of flat. If I'm laying down playing a game, it disconnects constantly (holing it at almost a 90 degree angle). Don't know if it's loose batteries or what. Very frustrating.

ZeroCDR

Haven't experienced this, but in the meantime the left stick on my controller starts drifting upwards even when I'm not touching it, that's a load of fun.

Evuk

Happens to me all the time too, gets quite annoying....
Figured it was interference with my other game consoles and cable box...

_woLf

I have this problem on both of my Xbox One controllers. Have updated the firmware on both and that reduced how often it happens, but it still does happen from time to time. Very frustrating.

I don't like the Xbox One controller at all though so it's just another thing on the huge list...

shanafan

Sorry, but I have two Xbox One controllers and neither have ever disconnected while playing a game. First I heard of this too.

Seth

I can't turn the console on with the controller half the time. I end up either yelling at kinect for 5 minutes or getting up turning it on.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I've never experienced this beyond a few bugs that happened in specific games that were fixed in a patch(Forza Horizon 2).

Hopefully it isn't a hardware issue, you might need to get your Xbox One replace.

Got a new nighthawk router and it was blowing my controller connection up until I upgraded the controller firmware. Do you live in a place with a lot of wifi interference?

Have you updated the controller firmware? I have 4 controllers and a day one console and I have not had a controller randomly disconnect on me.

It started with Dead Rising 3 on the first night I used it. I thought it was a glitch, though, because it didn't do it with any other game. It would only do so when I was upgrading my character, and only did it two or three times (different nights).

Then, several months later, I updated and it started doing it with Titanfall, then other games. And it hasn't stopped.

I thought it was something at home interfering with it, but what could it be? I don't have other systems on while using it, have no other wireless device nearby outside of systems and an upstairs wireless modem, and don't even have a cellphone.

As I said, nothing is usually on when it happens. No microwave, no cordless phone. Nothing. Even when that stuff is on, it doesn't normally do it.

Sydle

You may need an update or a replacement.

Day One owner with two controllers. Never experienced this problem.

I've never experienced this beyond a few bugs that happened in specific games that were fixed in a patch(Forza Horizon 2).

Hopefully it isn't a hardware issue, you might need to get your Xbox One replace.

On number 3, which is making an odd fan clicking noise and needs to go back.

Hasn't happened to me.. How about you contact MS?

Troubleshooted, replaced, etc. They don't do repairs here, just replacements.

Top Bottom