• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck Xbox One's Disconnecting Controllers And Frustrating Inability To Fix It

MAX PAYMENT

OP probably has his wireless router right next to his xbox. X1 controllers use a form of WiFi to communicate. They must be conflicting.

Hey OCDChewie. One thing you can try to see if it is wireless interference is to change the wireless channel on your wireless. Every wireless router out there gives you the capability to do this in the settings. You'll want to change the wireless channel for the 2.4ghz band, not the 5ghz (obviously but just stating nonetheless.) If the wireless channel is set to a low number near 1, try 11. if that doesn't work, try channel 6. If it is interference changing those channels should alleviate any issues you are seeing with wireless.

Edit: Fixing grammar. :(

I remember changing it to around 11 before, but not because of this. Will that not fuck anything up?

Hubble

The issue is likely to be problems with the play and charge kit and non-Microsoft headsets as accessories causing this.

FordGTGuy

Banned
this is one of the craziest things i've heard on this forum.
built in batteries SUCK

I wish I could even touch my 1520 battery, I know one day it will die and screw the entire idea of removing the screen and motherboard just to gain access to a battery.

OP probably has his wireless router right next to his xbox. X1 controllers use a form of WiFi to communicate. They must be conflicting.

No, sir. As mentioned above, the modem/router happens to be on a different floor and about 15 to 20 feet away at least. Maybe closer to 30. (I'm terrible at feet, and it'd be diagonally)

The issue is likely to be problems with the play and charge kit and non-Microsoft headsets as accessories causing this.

I've used different brands of AAs, plus two Play and Charge Kit batteries (I lost my first because I forgot to take it out when I returned my second controller for having a broken share button).

Also, I've never used a headset.

AKJP

Banned
I remember changing it to around 11 before, but not because of this. Will that not fuck anything up?
It shouldn't. Worse case scenario is that you can't connect to the router wirelessly or you'll have a lot of devices having issues connecting provided that something else is using that channel. You can always set it back if that is the case.

I know this might be getting a little more involved than one would like, but if you continue to have issues past what I suggested above and you have an Android phone, you can download the free app "Wifi Analyzer" it will show all wireless aps and routers that your phone can see and what channels they are on. Then set your router to a channel that is not being used (assuming there is one).

Edit: more grammar fixes. :(

Happened to me some....
Only bug on X1 that I have found to be super annoying, but thankfully it doesn't happen all the time.

The only fix I found for it was to do a hard reset on my X1.

It shouldn't. Worse case scenario is that you can't connect to the router wirelessly or you'll have a lot of devices having issues connecting provided that something else is using that channel. You can always set it back if that is the case.

I know this might be getting a little more involved than one would like, but if you continue to have issues past what I suggested above and you have an Android phone, you can download the free app "Wifi Analyzer" it will show all wireless aps and routers that your phone can see and what channels they are on. Then set your router to a channel that is hopefully not being used.

Okay. Thanks.

To the above posters:

It's been updated, and I usually keep it off completely, not on Instant On. Thanks, though.

I've seen it happen to my friend. Repeatedly in one night. Doesn't happen to me.

Even if it doesn't happen to most or all users it's frequent enough that it really should be fixed.

Maybe the bug is just complicated to reproduce or complicated to fix without breaking something else.

RBK

Banned
It happens to me, but it's not frequent enough to worry about.

Maybe like once a week, probably even less than that.

Swangod

Neo Member
I have experienced this issue!

I didn't know it was a problem... I thought maybe it was just my controller. My controller has been updated and I use a play and charge kit.

Mine will even disconnect when it's plugged in. It'll just pop up on the screen your controller has been disconnected even though it's plugged in. Sort of sucks and is annoying.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
hmnuDI7.jpg

I'll take eneloops any day of the week over DS4 built-in design. Honestly who wants less options?.

Decided to return my X1 controller battery, and buy some Eneloops. So far so good! Also using them for my Wiimotes.

MAX PAYMENT

DJ_Lae

I know this might be getting a little more involved than one would like, but if you continue to have issues past what I suggested above and you have an Android phone, you can download the free app "Wifi Analyzer" it will show all wireless aps and routers that your phone can see and what channels they are on. Then set your router to a channel that is not being used (assuming there is one)(

That's a neat little app, I just tried it out. Looks like my router is broadcasting at channel 11, my neighbour is 1, and I get blips of someone named Brian on channel 6 occasionally. I would assume the Xbox would auto-select those middle channels...but doesn't he 360 use the same 2.4Ghz band? I don't understand why it wasn't as prone to interference.

mcrommert

Banned
I've used different brands of AAs, plus two Play and Charge Kit batteries (I lost my first because I forgot to take it out when I returned my second controller for having a broken share button).

Also, I've never used a headset.

Umm xbox controllers don't have a share button...you sure this isnt' a ps4?
;)

Orca

There are multiple threads regarding this issue on different forums, including GAF, reddit, GameFaqs and the Xbox Support Forums. Additionally, article(s) have been written about it.

That seems like an appropriate amount given the apparently rare nature of it. I don't think I've ever had one disconnect.

Mine doesn't disconnect during play but half the the time when I try to boot up my XB1 with my controller it doesn't work, I have to manually turn the system on before the controller will resync with it. Not a big deal but kind of annoying.

Happens to me all the time. My controller also disconnects and I've also had an issue where I turn on the console from the controller (when it works) but the controller won't register button presses, even though it's on. I'll then have to take the batteries out and turn it on again to get it to work.

Reading back on my post, I think I have to contact MS.

PSGames

this is one of the craziest things i've heard on this forum.
built in batteries SUCK

I think it's more the fact the $60 price tag doesn't reflect such an omission. Especially when the competition offers the same and more for the same price.

I think it's more the fact the $60 price tag doesn't reflect such an omission. Especially when the competition offers the same and more for the same price.

That's generally the case in the US, but Microsoft has at least kept its basic black One controller at $59.99 in Canada, whereas the PS4 DS4s are $64.99.

In an age where every little thing pertaining to video games is scrutinized, how is Microsoft's randomly disconnecting Xbox One controller not talked about more? Just because it's only affecting some and not all?

There are multiple threads regarding this issue on different forums, including GAF, reddit, GameFaqs and the Xbox Support Forums. Additionally, article(s) have been written about it.

Microsoft keeps posting on its forums, saying that it's trying to identify a fix, but has yet to really do much. Sure, it's surveying those affected, but still. It's usually just canned updates.

It's frustrating that people who've paid $400-500 plus taxes (and whatever else for accessories and games) are having to plug in their controllers in order to ensure stability. Else, they risk the controller regularly disconnecting or doing so at random, such as once a session or maybe four times per one mission. It's out of the blue and stops at will.

This needs to be fixed, for fuck sakes. Why aren't more pitchforks being raised?

Most responses on the matter are interference related or user error, but what if that's not the case? At least, at the fault of the user, who has nothing blocking the signal and no other devices (even a cellphone or microwave) on? Why does it do it most at 2am when nothing else is on at all?

This only happens for me when the batteries need to be changed...

Day One edition Xbox One, 2 controllers. One of them day one edition. Both do it. Both have the MS rechargeable batteries. Not sure because of router nearby or IR in kinect not able to see my controller when i have it angled down... IDK. it sucks when it happens at the most crucial times. I have video proof too :( ...

Anon67

Well then you still have to plug the batteries somewhere to charge...

Okay..., but I don't have to plug the controller into the console and play on wire. Once the battery is low, I can just swap the battery pair for another pair that's already charged so I can continue to game wirelessly.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this... OP, do you by chance have a smartphone with wifi in your pocket?

I've not seen it happen with my x1... But I've had my 360 controller lose signal back to back at times over the years, that was stopped by removing my phone from my pocket and placing it a bit away (on a end table or the like).

happens to me everytime I play wireless. the most strange thing is that it always, for some reason, disconnects me from XBL.

So whenever I play online I always have to have my usb plugged in.

I've tried other controllers too and get the same issue, so it's definitely a console thing

AKJP

Banned
That's a neat little app, I just tried it out. Looks like my router is broadcasting at channel 11, my neighbour is 1, and I get blips of someone named Brian on channel 6 occasionally. I would assume the Xbox would auto-select those middle channels...but doesn't he 360 use the same 2.4Ghz band? I don't understand why it wasn't as prone to interference.

Unfortunately WiFi Analyzer only shows broadcasting WiFi in routers and the channels in which they broadcast on. It won't show if something is using a channel space and creating a ton of interference (like a microwave). Microwaves can and do interfere on a 2.4 ghz network, but they won't show up on that analyzer. Instead you would need a spectrum analyzer to see ANY and ALL interference that is being created and how bad. I did get a couple of random disconnects with my black wireless controllers at first with the X1, but I already knew that they were working in the 2.4ghz spectrum so I simply just turned off the 2.4ghz radio in my wireless router and just broadcasted in 5ghz. It resolved my issue, but I also know not everyone can or will do that. Hopefully for the OP the issue will be as "simple" as this and not something else requiring the controllers or console to be sent in for repair.

Tango101

Neo Member
I actually had this happen with my 360 I bought in 07. The controller that came with the console synced fine at first, but after I used rechargeable battery it came with, the controllers would just drop in and out randomly. I ended up exchanging the console for another one, did the steps above and sure enough it happened again.

I ended up exchanging that console for another new one, but never used the rechargeable battery. Sure enough, everything was fine.

I was just having a conversation with a good friend about this. It's only happened to me once or twice, but I guess he gets it pretty frequently. It's his number one gripe with the system, and he similarly described his research and slide into anger as he realized it was a known issue with no current fix...

Wait... Dan? Are you secretly on GAF?

Mine could only be closer if it was sitting on top of the box. I almost never have the issue, so short of it being some sort of specific brand issue with shielding problems, I doubt that.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this... OP, do you by chance have a smartphone with wifi in your pocket?

I've not seen it happen with my x1... But I've had my 360 controller lose signal back to back at times over the years, that was stopped by removing my phone from my pocket and placing it a bit away (on a end table or the like).

I actually don't even have a phone to call my own. I use a family member's, but never have it with me when I'm gaming and it's usually kept off -- especially late at night, which is when I game a lot of the time.

jaxpunk

Two controllers and both have problems. Have one hard wired to my pc since my 360 controller finally stopped working and it's fine there. I won't buy another controller until it's fixed.

I can't say for sure which controller I had to send back but the launch controller wasn't put together well at all AND had disconnect issues. Came back still with disconnect issues.

Junk shit compared to 360 or PS3/4.

Spasm

No, sir. As mentioned above, the modem/router happens to be on a different floor and about 15 to 20 feet away at least. Maybe closer to 30. (I'm terrible at feet, and it'd be diagonally)
I know you mentioned interference in the OP, but have you tried moving your gaming setup to a different area of the house? Taking it to a friend's house? Obviously your router is nice and far away, but what if there's something else not so obvious causing interference?

I said damn at the title and OP. Keep in mind you may be a part of a tiny percentage that has this problem so trying to throw MS under the bus doesn't do anything. I can't read the entire thread but I'm sure calling MS and getting a new controller has been addressed. People aren't talking about it most likely because the vast majority of people haven't experienced it.

AbaFadi

Banned
Would you happen to be using the chat adapter while using it? I know mine disconnects all the time when I use it.
Some people say this works: Settings -> Network Settings > Advanced Settings > Alternative Mac Address > Clear
I've noticed less frequent disconnects when I do this every once in a while.

bumpkin

I've had the same thing happen to mine a few times, I thought I was just imagining things. I don't know if it matters at all, but both of my controllers have the official rechargable packs in them.

This happened to me with a Day One controller and a standard controller. Since the controller firmware update that come out last March neither one has disconnected at all.

Was at a friends that had this weird issue where 1 controller would disconnect and reconnect as player 1. Then we had to log back into controller 2.

To resolve this issue he never plugged in his kinect again. Not sure if this is your same issue

It happens to me with my Day One console and controller. Don't have a second controller to test if it is a box or controller issue. It doesn't seem to happen as often as it used to, but it does seem incredibly random.

I know you mentioned interference in the OP, but have you tried moving your gaming setup to a different area of the house? Taking it to a friend's house? Obviously your router is nice and far away, but what if there's something else not so obvious causing interference?

No, I haven't. I don't want to move anything, because it'd really bother my OCD. I keep my gaming room clean, and keep the door closed so that my cats can't get in unless I let them.

I don't go out to friends' places much, and would rather not cart expensive tech around.

My room really is pretty basic, without much in the way of tech outside of gaming. There are consoles, an unplugged sub, an unplugged audio receiver (can't use it because I don't have a powered sub), an unplugged clock radio (plug is too big to be used and have 3DS charging, too), plus my non-Smart TV and a satellite receiver.

Would you happen to be using the chat adapter while using it? I know mine disconnects all the time when I use it.
Some people say this works: Settings -> Network Settings > Advanced Settings > Alternative Mac Address > Clear
I've noticed less frequent disconnects when I do this every once in a while.

I've never used a mic, so that's not affecting it. Though people complained about having it start on them after using a headset, or after some headset-related update.

I tried the MAC thing, too, with support. No dice.

I appreciate the help, though.

Top Bottom