• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck Xbox One's Disconnecting Controllers And Frustrating Inability To Fix It

carl32

Banned
I've had it happen to mine, a Day One controller, 10 days before it was a year old. I rang Microsoft who replaced it but with a standard one and gave me £10 as they had no Day One editions left.
Just to add mine just happened out the blue and would light up as if it was connected but wouldn't do anything even if i connected via USB.

Say what??? Never even seen a mention of this anywhere before now. My controllers work flawlessly and do not disconnect (unless batteries die).

The controllers use 2.4Ghz which is a band that is never really silent if you are in a populated area. Interference in the 2.4Ghz band is basically a constant thing. Cell phones aren't going to interfere with it since 2.4Ghz is unlicensed and cell companies use licensed bands. Most microwaves can interfere with 2.4Ghz equipment though.

You can trigger the issue if your Xbox is wireless and/or if your wireless ap/router is closer (radius wise in all directions) to your Xbox or controller than the Xbox and controller. If something on your network starts downloading something you're more likely to trigger the issue. Basically, put your WiFi router away from the Xbox and where you sit to play at a distance greater than the distance between you and Xbox.

All of this is just personal experience. All I know is that if I use my Xbox near my WiFi router I have more issues but if I'm using it away from my wifi router and the xbox and controller are close then it's never disconnected on me.

Do you have other consoles or IR devices in the vicinty?

Other systems are nearby, yeah. The TV is from 2006, so it's not a Smart TV, and the modem is on the other side of the place and on a different floor altogether.

Nothing else does it.

The controllers use 2.4Ghz which is a band that is never really silent if you are in a populated area. Interference in the 2.4Ghz band is basically a constant thing. Cell phones aren't going to interfere with it since 2.4Ghz is unlicensed and cell companies use licensed bands. Most microwaves can interfere with 2.4Ghz equipment though.

You can trigger the issue if your Xbox is wireless and/or if your wireless ap/router is closer (radius wise in all directions) to your Xbox or controller than the Xbox and controller. If something on your network starts. Basically, put your WiFi router away from the Xbox and where you sit to play at a distance greater than the distance between you and Xbox.

I have the modem, router, and PS4 in the same center. The X1 is hardwired, though. And the PS4 is usually off when the xbox is on.

You can trigger the issue if your Xbox is wireless and/or if your wireless ap/router is closer (radius wise in all directions) to your Xbox or controller than the Xbox and controller. If something on your network starts downloading something you're more likely to trigger the issue. Basically, put your WiFi router away from the Xbox and where you sit to play at a distance greater than the distance between you and Xbox.

All of this is just personal experience. All I know is that if I use my Xbox near my WiFi router I have more issues but if I'm using it away from my wifi router and the xbox and controller are close then it's never disconnected on me.

That makes sense

Honestly, I'm the only tech-savvy person living here, and nobody else downloads anything or uses the computer outside of the odd occasion.

The modem is quite a ways away. 30 feet and a floor.

It doesn't seem to matter if something else is on. I can't even remember it doing it when I was using something else in standby for downloads. Hell, it seems to work best if Kinect can see it, but that's apparently a myth according to Microsoft.

I have the modem, router, and PS4 in the same center. The X1 is hardwired, though. And the PS4 is usually off when the xbox is on.

Everything in my entertainment center is wired up but there are phones and laptops through the house that are wireless and I think that's where the problem is.

My set-up is a tiled bedroom, with systems, a TV, a disconnected audio receiver and a satellite box.

I play on my bed, about 10 feet from the stand.

Evuk

Other systems are nearby, yeah. The TV is from 2006, so it's not a Smart TV, and the modem is on the other side of the place and on a different floor altogether.

Nothing else does it.

I definitely think it's interference.
I have the same problem happening to me and the only time they worked flawlessly was when i brought the system to a friends house to play it.

I definitely think it's interference.
I have the same problem happening to me and the only time they worked flawlessly was when i brought the system to a friends house to play it.

That's what I assumed, too, but I don't know what would cause it or how to fix it.

CokasPT

Neo Member
I had this problem with my Day One console, at first I thought it was a controller problem, bought a second one, still the same, then I decided to return the console itself, and the new one had no problems at all. Some of my friends had similar issues, but they got sorted with the recent updates...Maybe some consoles are faulty even with the updates.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've never heard of this before. The only time I'm aware of a controller disconnecting is if it sits unused for a long period of time.

I had this problem with my Day One console, at first I thought it was a controller problem, bought a second one, still the same, then I decided to return the console itself, and the new one had no problems at all. Some of my friends had similar issues, but they got sorted with the recent updates...Maybe some consoles are faulty even with the updates.

Maybe. They send new replacements out, apparently, and I am on my third.

Bookman

I have this problem :/ I have issues with my xbone. .. thinking of selling it but what would I complain about then? Trying to play MCC has resulted in several pages writing on games forum.

Gestault

I haven't run into this yet (three controllers as reference), and I'm in a pretty high-traffic wifi building. You'll notice a disruption when you plug/unplug a USB cable because it's switching from using a wireless signal to data over the cable, but it's all I can even think of from my usage.

Edit: In terms of troubleshooting on your end, all I can think of is make sure your controller firmware is current, since they do allow updates to that using a USB cable right on the system. Good luck either way.

DJ_Lae

Mine does it too. It's annoying, especially as it's nothing more than a one second hiccup (the controller reconnects itself) but it pauses the game and gives you a prompt.

Interference makes some sense...but why do I not get an issue with any other wireless controller? Even my old Wavebird and Airstyle do not drop like the One controllers do. It's maddening.

I have two controllers that do it and they'll do it whether the battery is full or low or in the middle, I'm using alkalines (yuck) or Eneloops or even the lithium play and charge pack. It happens more frequently when I'm playing something co-op with my daughter and I have had both controllers fuck up at the same time and swap inputs on reconnect, which was both hilarious and really annoying.

MS is 'looking into it,' and from their little survey you gather they're trying to figure out whether it's a directional thing or what. I have no nearby sources of interference other than a cordless phone that is on a completely different band (whatever DECT operates on I'm pretty sure is not 2.4Ghz), the router is upstairs, and the only weird thing is that my One is sitting five feet to my left so if the receiver in the system is at all directional maybe that doesn't help. I dunno.

Mine does it too. It's annoying, especially as it's nothing more than a one second hiccup (the controller reconnects itself) but it pauses the game and gives you a prompt.

Interference makes some sense...but why do I not get an issue with any other wireless controller? Even my old Wavebird and Airstyle do not drop like the One controllers do. It's maddening.

I have two controllers that do it and they'll do it whether the battery is full or low or in the middle, I'm using alkalines (yuck) or Eneloops or even the lithium play and charge pack. It happens more frequently when I'm playing something co-op with my daughter and I have had both controllers fuck up at the same time and swap inputs on reconnect, which was both hilarious and really annoying.

MS is 'looking into it,' and from their little survey you gather they're trying to figure out whether it's a directional thing or what. I have no nearby sources of interference other than a cordless phone that is on a completely different band (whatever DECT operates on I'm pretty sure is not 2.4Ghz), the router is upstairs, and the only weird thing is that my One is sitting five feet to my left so if the receiver in the system is at all directional maybe that doesn't help. I dunno.

You sound like me

Josman

Make sure you don't have other wireless devices interfering, my bluetooth dongle blocks my wi-fi connection for example.

RowdyReverb

My Xbox One is near my wireless router. I've noticed that if I use my laptop or iPad near my controller to download larger files or stream videos wirelessly, my controller will disconnect or at least my game audio through the headphones will have static.

SerTapTap

Make sure you don't have other wireless devices interfering, my bluetooth dongle blocks my wi-fi connection for example.

What frequency are xbone controllers, aren't they some proprietary wifi direct? I usually only have issues with my wii u gamepad or more rarely bluetooth. 360 controller works pretty much anywhere

I've tried. As I said, there's nothing else around, really. My alarm clock (iPod thing) isn't plugged in, nothing's charging, I have no cell or bluetooth dongle and the only bluetooth microphone I have has never been used because I don't talk to people while gaming and it was just a cheap throw-in.

It's really perplexing.

Thank you, though

They're not Bluetooth then? Would be just like MS to roll their own I suppose! How does Bluetooth solve this problem, is it not in the same range?

It uses the same range but I'm not sure why it seems to work better. That said, I have a laptop that has a combo BT/wifi card and it's utter shit to use a BT mouse if I'm downloading something on wifi.

Double D

My issue is that I have to unplug the Xbox and plug it back in EVERY TIME before I want to use it or else neither of my controllers connect. My Xbox is wireless but my router is in another room. I do have a DirecTV wireless video bridge fairly close to it though.

This is the first I've heard about having to upgrade the firmware in a controller but I'll give that a shot later.

Mine doesn't disconnect during play but half the the time when I try to boot up my XB1 with my controller it doesn't work, I have to manually turn the system on before the controller will resync with it. Not a big deal but kind of annoying.

Bubba77

My controller has stopped working a couple times now, only the middle button does anything. Totally bizarre. I don't know anyone who had the same issue though.

I have this issue with my Titanfall xb1 controller. It will register me hitting the middle button, but not any other button. This is even when its plugged in with the play and charge kit. Had to move to my backup controller...

vesvci

Banned
I get this issue one in a while.

There's another issue that I experience with the XBO controller and that's the cutting off of sound when using my headset. It's really annoying and it happens quite frequently. I've been using my headphones for a couple of months now, and it happens every other day.

For the $25 fee to get this audio adapter, it shouldn't be happening. I never have this issue with the PS4.

I've tried it on two controllers and it occurs frequently on both. I hope my XBO is not defective.

I get this issue one in a while.

There's another issue that I experience with the XBO controller and that's the cutting off of sound when using my headset. It's really annoying and it happens quite frequently. I've been using my headphones for a couple of months now, and it happens every other day.

For the $25 fee to get this audio adapter, it shouldn't be happening. I never have this issue with the PS4.

I've tried it on two controllers and it occurs frequently on both. I hope my XBO is not defective.

I get this as well but ONLY when I'm using my Xbox in the same room as my wifi router. I move my Xbox between a TV in my office and my entertainment center. In my office I'm barely 3' away from the xbox, entertainment center I'm about 8-10'

JP

Not had an issue myself as I've only had it a few months but it is one of those subjects that keeps popping up on here.

nynt9

I've also had this problem and there have been several threads with this problem before but there has been no fix that works. It seems to be a hardware problm with the console itself.

DJ_Lae

You sound like me

I even bought a new router so I could shift over most of my devices to the 5hz band in the event that maybe that would help interference (so far, results are nope).

That two controllers disconnect more frequently suggests that interference is probably the cause...but why the fuck would Microsoft design them so that their own goddamn controllers can potentially interfere with one another?

Kaydan

Banned
OP, make sure your controller`s battery is not loose in the compartment. I've bought a 3rd party battery & charging dock and the battery was a little loose in the controller. I added a little filler on the side to make sure it doesn't move and my controller is now working flawlessly.

FordGTGuy

Banned
On number 3, which is making an odd fan clicking noise and needs to go back.

Troubleshooted, replaced, etc. They don't do repairs here, just replacements.

Well that is extremely unlucky.

We have two launch Xbox Ones working perfectly... knock on wood.

Give me built in battery any day over the 360/one set up

Not a chance.

hmnuDI7.jpg

I'll take eneloops any day of the week over DS4 built-in design. Honestly who wants less options?

I still find it funny how people try to imply that internal batteries are some kind of breakthrough techology.

AKJP

Banned
Every other controller has worked fine throughout the years. It's just XB1.

Hey OCDChewie. One thing you can try to see if it is wireless interference is to change the wireless channel on your wireless. Every wireless router out there gives you the capability to do this in the settings. You'll want to change the wireless channel for the 2.4ghz band, not the 5ghz (obviously but just stating nonetheless.) If the wireless channel is set to a low number near 1, try 11. if that doesn't work, try channel 6. If it is interference changing those channels should alleviate any issues you are seeing with wireless.

Edit: Fixing grammar. :(

SFenton

Four controllers here. It's happened sporadically to me, but it's not so much of an issue that I get upset about it. Glad they're looking into it, but I prefer what they're prioritizing at the moment.

OP, make sure your controller`s battery is not loose in the compartment. I've bought a 3rd party battery & charging dock and the battery was a little loose in the controller. I added a little filler on the side to make sure it doesn't move and my controller is now working flawlessly.

I don't think it is, but I'll check. Thanks for the tip.

I've spoken to MS Support, MS PR (helpful, but haven't heard anything), and other users. It's not an incredibly common issue, but it's far from uncommon.

Top Bottom