• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 million (Dragon Quest VII) shipped in the first 2 days

urfe

More like why do they love Call of Duty. :p

To be honest, I never did get the humongous appeal of DQ in Japan. It's pretty much by-the-books traditional RPG that hasn't really evolved. The only DQ game that stood out for me was V, the rest were just OK.

IMO it is by the books because it is the book.

Edit: beaten

zoukka

DQ IX is the only DS game my gf has managed to finish. That tells a tale about why they are so popular. They are simplistic, easy to understand, lighthearted and have charming, inoffensive visuals and storytelling.

Err, I know that. But "Famitsu" is NOT the entity that researches the sales figures. It's Enterbrain. They're not "Famitsu numbers." They're "Enterbrain numbers." And they're reported as such each and every time.
Semantics. They're both the same numbers, there's no need to distinguish the two from each other.

cvxfreak

Semantics. They're both the same numbers, there's no need to distinguish the two from each other.

In practice, yes. It's just that I originally made the distinction so people know what words to look out for when trying to figure out when Famitsu posts an article related to a game's marketing-related achievement. :p

An article on sales will always say "Enterbrain reports" or "based on data from Enterbrain" or something similar.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So, the title is wrong, right? 1 million shipped as first shipment for the title, that will be reported in Famitsu/MC sales for 2 days on the market.

More like why do they love Call of Duty. :p

To be honest, I never did get the humongous appeal of DQ in Japan. It's pretty much by-the-books traditional RPG that hasn't really evolved. The only DQ game that stood out for me was V, the rest were just OK.

I hate when people say this: because it isn't true! It may not have evolved the way you like, but you can't play even the first 4 games on NES and not notice the obvious evolutions. DQ is traditional no doubt but it still evolves within the sphere of its tradition. At least until the 9th installment where all bets were off. ;)

extralite

I really wish Dragon Quest would do a little something to innovate on itself. It has become far too stale and predictable, but perhaps, this is what fans want.

Are you kidding? The latest one is online and real time, IX already did away with random battles which they also reflected in the VII remake. DQ has made some drastic steps in new directions recently.

1 million in two days is pretty awesome.
I don't think the DS remakes sold that good in such a short time span.

I still have to play through DQ6 and 8. I know that both DQ7 and 8 will eat up SO MUCH of my time.

Jonnyram

In practice, yes. It's just that I originally made the distinction so people know what words to look out for when trying to figure out when Famitsu posts an article related to a game's marketing-related achievement. :p

An article on sales will always say "Enterbrain reports" or "based on data from Enterbrain" or something similar.
Easiest way to look at this:
Famitsu is the brand.
Enterbrain is the company.

Eusis

Are you kidding? The latest one is online and real time, IX already did away with random battles which they also reflected this in the VII remake. DQ has made some drastic steps in new directions recently.
It's always been taking little steps or having little quirks between each titles really: 2 threw on a party system, 3 allowed you to make your own party, 4 put back in premade characters but you followed what each of your party members does before they join you, 5 has
something akin to a generation system
, 6 has
the dream world and real world, and how they intersect being a big deal
, 7 has you
going through time to restore the world
, and 8... is actually the most basic really, but it jumps far ahead in immersion with the perspective change and the essentially to scale world map, basically becoming what you'd imagine the older games would've been like if they were less abstract (and you were expecting Toriyama art rather than the art shown for western release.)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It's always been taking little steps or having little quirks between each titles really: 2 threw on a party system, 3 allowed you to make your own party, 4 put back in premade characters but you followed what each of your party members does before they join you, 5 has
something akin to a generation system
, 6 has
the dream world and real world, and how they intersect being a big deal
, 7 has you
going through time to restore the world
, and 8... is actually the most basic really, but it jumps far ahead in immersion with the perspective change and the essentially to scale world map, basically becoming what you'd imagine the older games would've been like if they were less abstract (and you were expecting Toriyama art rather than the art shown for western release.)

These quirks were huge when they first had them...These features were rather revolutionary for the Japanese market when they first arrived. They are not just quirks. DQ allowed people who were bad at single player platformers the chance to actually beat games via hard work and not skill. The party wasn't just a party system. It was considered another revolutionary feature for the Japanese market. 3's party member making was also considered to be pretty unique for the NES and certainly a few steps ahead of many console RPGs then. These were not little steps.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So Square Enix are you clued in on what type of DQ game to release now?

Let me guess the proper installment will skip a Nintendo console XD
What do you mean with this? The proper instalments were on Nintendo last gen and sold great. I suppose that may change this gen but it would be kind of weird when they're putting the spin offs and remakes on one already.

Velcro Fly

What do you mean with this? The proper instalments were on Nintendo last gen and sold great. I suppose that may change this gen but it would be kind of weird when they're putting the spin offs and remakes on one already.

Think he means that SE is dumb and nowadays does the exact opposite of what fans want a lot of the time. They'd honestly need to be suicidal as a company to release DQ on anything but the 3DS at this point. I don't think even SE can possibly screw that up though.

sajj316

1 million shipped and approx 500K sold. Not bad.

Would like to see it localized. Haven't played any of the games though ... will try it out.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
wow! (obligatory: Now get this thing to US/EU!)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think it was sarcastic about SE "wise" decisions...

Gestahl

DQ IX is the only DS game my gf has managed to finish. That tells a tale about why they are so popular. They are simplistic, easy to understand, lighthearted and have charming, inoffensive visuals and storytelling.

VII can get pretty savage storywise. Tons of stories ending with "And then everyone got FUCKED! Time to go back home~."

smbu2000

Wow, pretty good shipment numbers!

Anecdotal but the game is sold out in every place I've been to around where I live.

ys45

You guys think this one will make it to NA ?

I mean Nintendo has been publishing the remakes (4,5,6) and the IX here i don't see why they would not bring it here ?

*cross fingers*

I mean Nintendo has been publishing the remakes (4,5,6) and the IX here i don't see why they would not bring it here ?

*cross fingers*

That's my belief. I mean, VII has already made it to the states with the PS2 so in some form most of the translation should be done I would think.

I recently purchased a 3DS for all the RPGs I keep hearing about (played a ton on my DS) and now I have realized a lot of them have yet to make it to my shores.

Hopefully this comes over. DQIX I spent over 150 hours on. Was the first DS game my girl really got into also (same amount of hours and had to buy another DS for her).

BraXzy

So I've never played a Dragon Quest game.. which would you recommend I start off with before this comes out in the EU?

Yeah but everything is presented in such cartoonish way, you can't take it seriously.

Of course you can; the scenarios and the writing are plenty convincing enough. This is like saying anything in a cartoon or fantasy setting cannot be taken seriously. That isn't exactly true. It depends on the execution and the DQ series does that particularly well.

So I've never played a Dragon Quest game.. which would you recommend I start off with before this comes out in the EU?
The DS remakes (IV-VI) or DQVIII on PS2 are good places to start.

Hobbun

Again, this whole "big step" definition is subjective. I grew with FF games and learned to expect complete overhauls in battle/leveling systems.

And this is what turned me off of Final Fantasy. I don’t mind slight changes to combat. The ATB worked for me in the PS1 games, but it just became faster and faster, with more real time combat integrated in and no longer was Final Fantasy to me.

One of the things I have loved about DQ is its traditional (and predictable) elements, especially combat.

DQ took a huge step (in the wrong direction, IMO) for X, but I am hoping it goes back to its (traditional) roots for XI.

MrT-Tar

I'm really hoping for a PAL announcement soon.

Then again, on that infamous Nintendo of Spain powerpoint, the DQ series was strangely absent.

What's sad is how this hasn't nearly taken off in the West because by the time jRPGs were becoming popular Enix gave up on us. Thus Dragon Quest won't see any numbers like this in the West anytime soon.

I don't blame Japan for liking Dragon Quest so much. I'd take it over Final Fantasy any day, too.

yeah it was, last thursday ;)

oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

MrT-Tar

What's sad is how this hasn't nearly taken off in the West because by the time jRPGs were becoming popular Enix gave up on us. Thus Dragon Quest won't see any numbers like this in the West anytime soon.

I don't blame Japan for liking Dragon Quest so much. I'd take it over Final Fantasy any day, too.

DQIX was very successful in the West (just not this successful), over 500k in Europe alone iirc. I live in the U.K, and it was really heavily advertised over here (I would say more than almost any Nintendo 1st party game), and as many of the adverts focussed on the dressing of the characters, it broadened the game's appeal. I also went to France during mid 2010 and the game seemed mega popular over there as well.

*cross fingers*

If they published Fire Emblem, a much lesser known series, there's no way in hell they'll forget about DQ.

Top Bottom