• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 million (Dragon Quest VII) shipped in the first 2 days

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Why do the Japanese love VII so much?

I played this game during my "I'll play any 100-hour rpg" phase in life. Even I found this game ugly and unbearably long.

It draaaaaagged.

And those hideous smeary dungeon graphics.

It never ended.

Well maybe its not the same exact DQ 7 as the one you played.

Its a REMAKE.

Hobbun

If they published Fire Emblem, a much lesser known series, there's no way in hell they'll forget about DQ.

Yes, but Nintendo has always been the publisher for the Fire Emblem games, where with Dragon Quest, they would be effectively doing so instead of SE, like they did so with DQ 6 and DQ IX.

So hopefully Nintendo will step up again for DQ VII, as well. What really bothers me is SE just unwilling to localize anything now except having Final Fantasy or KH attached to it, and you can’t even guarantee that now (no Type 0).

Rocky

Banned
That's my belief. I mean, VII has already made it to the states with the PS2 so in some form most of the translation should be done I would think.

I recently purchased a 3DS for all the RPGs I keep hearing about (played a ton on my DS) and now I have realized a lot of them have yet to make it to my shores.

Hopefully this comes over. DQIX I spent over 150 hours on. Was the first DS game my girl really got into also (same amount of hours and had to buy another DS for her).

DQ VII was for the PS1 not the PS2.

Aeana

Why do the Japanese love VII so much?

I played this game during my "I'll play any 100-hour rpg" phase in life. Even I found this game ugly and unbearably long.

It draaaaaagged.

And those hideous smeary dungeon graphics.

It never ended.
It's one of my favorite DQ games. The vignettes are all very interesting, and it's fun to play. The remake looks nicer than the original and has orchestrated music, but most everything else is intact, so it's even better.

What do you mean with this? The proper instalments were on Nintendo last gen and sold great. I suppose that may change this gen but it would be kind of weird when they're putting the spin offs and remakes on one already.
The last 2 installments IX and X arent traditional games in the series. IX did great yet it deviated less than X and was on the must successufl handheld ever.

What i'm getting at is that it would be a shame if XI or whatever it is the next console installment is a full on DQ style game yet for whatever reason it doesnt land on Wii U. Like someone pointed out, most fans want DQ games more in the vein of old games but with FF style production values.

ANd like pointed out, yes it was a sarcastic post about SE "eise" decisions.

I have DQ IX at the minute, is that the wrong one to start with?

IX was my first, I think its an okay place to start.
The legacy bosses and equipment won't be as exciting and the story is nothing to write home about, but the gameplay is there and the postgame is ridiculous.

Aeana

More like why do they love Call of Duty. :p

To be honest, I never did get the humongous appeal of DQ in Japan. It's pretty much by-the-books traditional RPG that hasn't really evolved. The only DQ game that stood out for me was V, the rest were just OK.
It hasn't evolved? Are you serious? That's such an ignorant statement, Ultros. Honestly, if you think DQ1 and DQ9 are similar games, I don't even know what to say.

beril

Saying Dragon Quest hasn't evolved is factually wrong, but more importantly, why the hell would anyone want it to evolve when most other JRPGs have "evolved" into complete garbage?

Nairume

Banned
Saying Dragon Quest hasn't evolved is factually wrong, but more importantly, why the hell would anyone want it to evolve when most other JRPGs have "evolved" into complete garbage?

Yeah, what people need to have realized is that Dragon Quest has been evolving, but focusing more of its evolution on refining what worked and building upon a solid foundation, while almost everybody else throws the baby out with the bathwater and effectively starts from scratch with each new entry.

zoukka

Of course you can; the scenarios and the writing are plenty convincing enough. This is like saying anything in a cartoon or fantasy setting cannot be taken seriously. That isn't exactly true. It depends on the execution and the DQ series does that particularly well.

This is all subjective of course but I wasn't moved by any of the DS remakes. I did not care about the characters at all and the big plot points held no emotional weight on me. So I guess these games show a limit for me personally. The story presentation is at a point that doesn't make it interesting to me.

They feel like Pokemon games in that regard. I have no recollection of the recent Pokemon game stories (The first ones are different because I was a little kid back then heh).

And by saying DQ hasn't changed a lot, I don't mean it should.

Busaiku

That's a lot more than I expected.
I would've thought it might have had a longer span, but a smaller debut.

I wonder if it will still have a good run though.

Aeana

This is all subjective of course but I wasn't moved by any of the DS remakes. I did not care about the characters at all and the big plot points held no emotional weight on me. So I guess these games show a limit for me personally. The story presentation is at a point that doesn't make it interesting to me.

They feel like Pokemon games in that regard. I have no recollection of the recent Pokemon game stories (The first ones are different because I was a little kid back then heh).

And by saying DQ hasn't changed a lot, I don't mean it should.
I wouldn't compare them to Pokemon at all. Storytelling in Dragon Quest is just done in a different way from most RPGs. The overarching story is a skeleton within to fit the smaller stories, which are the real stars of the games. These vignettes are complete stories that all link to the overarching plot in some way. In the case of DQ7, many of the vignettes actually link up with other ones, which is probably one of the most interesting things about it for me. If you're going into games looking for long-term story or (in some cases) character interaction, then yeah, you might be barking up the wrong tree. That said, 7 and up (plus the remakes) add a lot of party chat which helps flesh out the characters more, and of course the characters were actually a big focus in DQ8.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It hasn't evolved? Are you serious? That's such an ignorant statement, Ultros. Honestly, if you think DQ1 and DQ9 are similar games, I don't even know what to say.

I'd say that the battle system hasn't really changed from IV-VII from what I've played. It took a turn at VIII in terms of presentation and IX had an overhaul. But still, it kept to its core (I think hasn't evolved was a bit harsh, heh).

But if you compare the evolution and rapid change of FF's battle system (especially X and onwards), it can make DQ look "samey", especially if you grew up with the FF series.

Aeana

I'd say that the battle system hasn't really changed from IV-VII from what I've played. It took a turn at VIII in terms of presentation and IX had an overhaul. But still, it kept to its core (I think hasn't evolved was a bit harsh, heh).

But if you compare the evolution and rapid change of FF's battle system (especially X and onwards), it can make DQ look "samey", especially if you grew up with the FF series.
The battle presentation has changed, but no, the core system remains fairly similar, although the introduction of skills (many of which take no MP) in 5+ adds a new dimension, IMO, as does tension in DQ8. I've been playing FF games just as long as I've been playing DQ games, and FF has been strongly influenced by DQ on at least two occasions as well, so I don't necessarily agree with what you're saying (especially since FF's battle system was not changed dramatically between 4 and 9). Then again, perhaps you're using a different time frame for "growing up" than I am; I don't know how old you are.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The battle presentation has changed, but no, the core system remains fairly similar, although the introduction of skills (many of which take no MP) in 5+ adds a new dimension, IMO, as does tension in DQ8. I've been playing FF games just as long as I've been playing DQ games, and FF has been strongly influenced by DQ on at least two occasions as well, so I don't necessarily agree with what you're saying (especially since FF's battle system was not changed dramatically between 4 and 9). Then again, perhaps you're using a different time frame for "growing up" than I am; I don't know how old you are.

I grew up with VI, but fully started on VII so the changes were more obvious for my generation (not to mention we actually got 4 mainline FFs in a span of 5 years).

Although how did DQ influence FF twice? I'm only aware of the first one (DQ1->FF1).

Aeana

I grew up with VI, but fully started on VII so the changes were more obvious for my generation (not to mention we actually got 4 mainline FFs in a span of 5 years).

Although how did DQ influence FF twice? I'm only aware of the first one (DQ1->FF1).
FF3 is a direct response to DQ3's success. They took the idea of the class system in DQ3 and refined it to make it even better, and it was honestly a natural fit for FF anyway since they already had jobs from FF1. The storyline progression also takes a page from DQ, as an experiment. Of course, FF4 returned to try to expand upon FF2's ideas., but then something similar can be said about FF5, and FF5 effectively doubled sales over FF4. This sort of call and response with DQ is actually one of the major things that I feel led to FF becoming such a varied franchise in the first place. Over time, they became really nice complements to each other, which is why I think wanting one to take the same direction of the other makes no sense.

jaxword

Probably means the job system of DQ3 influenced the jobs of FF3/4.

Nairume

Banned
To be fair, once Final Fantasy really started to change its combat mechanics (and mechanics in general) up between every iteration, it then ran into problems where it was constantly bleeding out fans as fast as it was bringing in new people that were intrigued by the new direction.

Dragon Quest has shown that there's merit in not completely starting over from scratch every game.

Hobbun

To be fair, once Final Fantasy really started to change its combat mechanics (and mechanics in general) up between every iteration, it then ran into problems where it was constantly bleeding out fans as fast as it was bringing in new people that were intrigued by the new direction.

Dragon Quest has shown that there's merit in not completely starting over from scratch every game.

I was one of these fans. I played most of XII and part of XIII, but the last Final Fantasy I truly enjoyed was X. The combat has changed so much, and I didn’t like the changes that were made, the game just wasn’t fun for me anymore.

It is why I have always liked the “samey” turn-based combat system of DQ, and I hope when DQ returns to single-player, their traditional combat style returns, as well.

Aeana

Not necessarily a plus. :( Wish it also had the original OST in it.
I think it's definitely a plus for Dragon Quest, considering that the music is composed for an orchestra to begin with. It turned out poorly in DQ8 mainly because they just took it from the Symphonic Suite CD, but in the cases of DQ5 PS2 and DQ7 3DS, it turned out great.

Is it any different from the western market that buys COD every year?

They've been at it a lot longer. If COD still sells like that in 10 or 20 years, I'll be quite impressed. But otherwise, no...one is a license to print yen, the other a license to print dollars.

Top Bottom