• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 Month Later, Halo: MCC is still broken

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Buggy? For sure. Broken? Not really. Finished all the campaigns and have 170+ mp matches. Sucks that it launched like this though.

Sephzilla

I think this is an interesting video that discusses the issues and why pre-ordering is a bad move: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCC499Gf4DY&feature=youtu.be

MP still broken
- Game crashes
- People can't find games
- Uneven teams

http://kotaku.com/two-weeks-later-halo-multiplayer-is-still-a-mess-1663158779

Single Player campaign issues:
- Halo 2 save
- Achievements not unlocking
- Game crashes
- Split Screen frame rate drops

Even GAFs very own OT is mostly posts about the bugs or people "finally" getting into games.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929710

I don't understand why this game wasn't delayed. This is the premier franchise for Microsoft and they couldn't extend the deadline to a later date for their biggest IP and one of the biggest IP in all of gaming.

What was 343i doing?

Did you read any of the MCC OT after last nights patch dropped? The response was pretty positive from all people posting and people were getting a noticeably higher number of even team games. The old Halo games would occasionally run into even team issues once and a while too (not to MCC's pre-yesterday degree) so lets not pretend this isn't something that can and will happen sometimes.

Game is still broken but it's a lot more playable than it was a month ago.

see5harp

Yeah but some are saying their saves are getting nuked. And that's not cool. Nothing like that happened in DC.

I guess it's dumb trying to compare things. They both suck. I own both consoles, and were let down by both. *shrugs*

Disaster either way.

I really haven't paid much attention to single player issues. I've played Halo 1 and 2 though and was pretty happy with my experience so far.

So, 343i is 0-2 right now, and people still think Halo 5 is gonna be "ok"?

At this point I have pretty low expectations for Halo 5, and I can only imagine the shit show if it actually is a disappointment to the critics, and it gets scored as such.

As someone who almost convinced my brother to get a XB1, as well as myself, just for MCC, I'm very lucky to have not jumped on any black friday deals or promotions to get such a broken game.

Kinda amazing how much damage 343i has done to the Halo brand.

Im embarrassed I actually jumped the gun and bought this game. I have been good this year about waiting until games come out and ensuring they don't have major issues before purchasing. Unfortunately, I trusted that microsoft/343 would not screw up their biggest series. I was obviously wrong. However I have learned to not trust any developer any more until their game has been proven.

It's pretty much horse shit that we're having to wait weeks after every game's release lately but if that's what it comes to, what choice do we have (if we want to avoid frustration).

Bsigg12

So, 343i is 0-2 right now, and people still think Halo 5 is gonna be "ok"?

At this point I have pretty low expectations for Halo 5, and I can only imagine the shit show if it actually is a disappointment to the critics, and it gets scored as such.

As someone who almost convinced my brother to get a XB1, as well as myself, just for MCC, I'm very lucky to have not jumped on any black friday deals or promotions to get such a broken game.

Kinda amazing how much damage 343i has done to the Halo brand.

0-2? What?

Not just split screen frame drops. I'm playing CE and it constantly goes below 60. I find myself switching back to the old visuals just for the smooth 60.

see5harp

Buggy? For sure. Broken? Not really. Finished all the campaigns and have 170+ mp matches. Sucks that it launched like this though.

Yea super fucked up to release a game like this. These devs deserve to get their names dragged through the mud though. If I bought a blender and shit didn't blend then I'd return it and get my money back. This industry tries to get away with the shadiest shit.

JayEH

Halo duffel bag nostalgia,...

aka games journalism.

Fucking IGN was like the "This time next year, the problems it had at launch will be a trivial pursuit question". YOU CAN'T KEEP GIVING THEM A PASS, THAT'S WHY PUBLISHERS KEEP LAUNCHING BROKEN GAMES.

Mononoke

Banned
I really haven't paid much attention to single player issues. I've played Halo 1 and 2 though and was pretty happy with my experience so far.

Well that's great. Glad you are having fun. :D Sadly for me, I was only a MP guy. I mean, I plan to eventually play the campaigns again. But I really only wanted this for MP. So this has been a fuckin disaster for me.

I think DC was better for me personally, since it's a racing game. Whether you are racing online or offline, it's kind of a similar experience. Whereas playing Halo story is different then playing Halo MP. If that makes sense.

So DC being fucked on Day 1, if you were someone that liked racing games..you could just play the SP for hours and hours. Whereas in Halo, if you ONLY want the MP...well you are shit out of luck. I honestly expected Halo to be fixed quicker then DC. I thought okay, well this was unfortunate. But surely it will get cleared up in a week. I'm really shocked it's still fucked.

fantomena

I need help gaf

I can understand where you are coming from. We were under the impression that the patch will completely resolve the issue. However, apparently it didn't to some customers as you are still having the issue.

Lorelein: at 21:14:13
As of the moment, our Engineers are currently collating the number of customers who are still experiencing issues with Halo even after the patch was release

Edit:

We will not be leaving you hanging on this. All possible refund requests, compensation or make good will be announced by then and as much as possible I don't want to provide a false information.

It works, it's buggy but to say it doesn't work at all is hyperbole. Been able to get in games for a while(2minute wait) but I personally can not be arsed with it anymore after all the hype build up. Even if they fixed it 343 is a stain on this franchise its reputation.

see5harp

Well that's great. Glad you are having fun. :D Sadly for me, I was only a MP guy. I mean, I plan to eventually play the campaigns again. But I really only wanted this for MP. So this has been a fuckin disaster for me.

I think DC was better for me personally, since it's a racing game. Whether you are racing online or offline, it's kind of a similar experience. Whereas playing Halo story is different then playing Halo MP. If that makes sense.

So DC being fucked on Day 1, if you were someone that liked racing games..you could just play the SP for hours and hours. Whereas in Halo, if you ONLY want the MP...well you are shit out of luck. I honestly expected Halo to be fixed quicker then DC. I thought okay, well this was unfortunate. But surely it will get cleared up in a week. I'm really shocked it's still fucked.

Who cares both of these dev teams suck. Evolution can get it too.

Yea super fucked up to release a game like this. These devs deserve to get their names dragged through the mud though. If I bought a blender and shit didn't blend then I'd return it and get my money back. This industry tries to get away with the shadiest shit.

its sitting at 86 on metacritic. 86.

Mononoke

Banned
I need help gaf

I don't know what to tell you. This is insane. You definitely can get a refund. I don't know why they are giving you this much trouble.

I guess try again? Keep trying with different reps? Say that it's unacceptable. That it still doesn't fix your problem. YOU CANT play with friends. You CANT play any games. That it's not on your end, since you have no issue with other MP on their system.

Just press hard, and say it's not okay for them to take your money, and for a product to not work.

Who cares both of these dev teams suck. Evolution can get it too.

Didn't mean to suggest Evolution should get a pass. They definitely should not. That was a complete clusterfuck of epic proportions. I was just saying as the weeks go on, I'm starting to think this is worse (for me, personally). That said, it's dumb comparing shit to shit. So my bad.

Plus, as you said...some people have been able to play Halo Campaign non stop without any issues. Some have had better luck with MP. So it's not the same for everyone.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I have yet to get into one match, and I've owned the game since day one.

same here.

bought the xbox one only for that game. was not able to play ONE mp game.

Xbox customer service won't refund me. called them 3 times.

Edit: I'm from germany. do not know if that changes anything but the customer service was rude. One woman called me a liar and that there are no problems with the MCC and that she never had heard of any problems.

Finaj

wasn't the majority of the game outsourced to multiple teams?

Yes. Actually, I'm not sure what 343 actually developed.

United Front Games: UI
Ruffian Games: Halo 3 and 4
Sabre Interactive: Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign
Certain Affinity: Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer

Not sure who did Halo: CE.

Aeqvitas

It's not nearly in as bad of shape as OP makes it sound. There are some lingering campaign bugs, but the campaign has been playable since day 1 (some have issues with checkpoints, but you can always load any level). I've had a couple myself, such as it not logging me beating some missions, but nothing that makes me rage.

I have been able to get into matches since the first night, but it was horribly slow to the point it wasn't worth it for me to try most of the first 2 weeks. Since then it has definitely been playable, but slow to get in to matches.

The game still needs more work, and 343 has been fixing the issues faster than say Driveclub has. That doesn't excuse the initial problems, but as a consumer I am more concerned about the game getting working 100% faster than holding a grudge forever. When MCC works, it is beautiful. and it works about 90% right now. 343 should have had a public beta 1 month before so that they could have seen what shit the matchmaking was in.

But overall it is on track and working well enough to be genuinely enjoyable now.

fantomena

Wut

Frank O'Connor has repeteadly said many times that if somebody wants a refund for the Halo Master Chief Collection Xbox Support should give them support.

Lorelein: at 21:18:02
Who is Frank O'Connor?

ZeroCDR

Do the campaigns work well enough? That's pretty much the reason I picked that as my BF bundle game, with multiplayer being a bonus for the times I have Gold trials going on. This will be my first time playing Halo 4, in fact.

Mononoke

Banned
It's not nearly in as bad of shape as OP makes it sound. There are some lingering campaign bugs, but the campaign has been playable since day 1 (some have issues with checkpoints, but you can always load any level). I've had a couple myself, such as it not logging me beating some missions, but nothing that makes me rage.

I have been able to get into matches since the first night, but it was horribly slow to the point it wasn't worth it for me to try most of the first 2 weeks. Since then it has definitely been playable, but slow to get in to matches.

The game still needs more work, and 343 has been fixing the issues faster than say Driveclub has. That doesn't excuse the initial problems, but as a consumer I am more concerned about the game getting working 100% faster than holding a grudge forever. When MCC works, it is beautiful. and it works about 90% right now. 343 should have had a public beta 1 month before so that they could have seen what shit the matchmaking was in.

But overall it is on track and working well enough to be genuinely enjoyable now.

Nah. It really isn't. Not for some folks. I wish people would stop writing off the fact that, there are still a lot of players that aren't getting the experience you just outlined. I'm really happy that you guys are getting a better experience and that is really fantastic. But let's not ignore the fact that some people that paid for this, are NOT getting to play it properly.

It doesn't suddenly make it not broken, just because for some players it works better then what it was.

EDIT: I don't mean to be snarky. I think for those that are having a great experience, that's amazing. I really mean that. And it's great to share your experience with others, in case some are not sure whether to jump in or not. But I don't think we should let up pressure and criticism on this, just because some are having a better experience. Clearly some are not.

Yes. Actually, I'm not sure what 343 actually developed themselves besides the UI.

Ruffian Games: Halo 3 and 4
Sabre Interactive: Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign
Certain Affinity: Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer

Not sure who did Halo: CE.

United Front Games did the UI

Yeah i can't believe MS released a remaster of their biggest franchise the way it is. This will not turn out well for the future of Halo and next year's Halo 5.

This is the company that was talking about cloud dedicated servers, always online and all that. Their online experience is no better than other platforms.

I dont think people who pre-order games really mind getting a shit product. If they did then they wouldnt pre-order. Everyone else who bought it post launch was well aware of the games problems so they cant really complain now can they.

Welfare

Halo 4 is a masterpiece compared to MCC because it simply works and worked from the start.

Well, when you have a developer that made a game that was shit gameplay wise (Halo 4) and a game that is shit on a performance level (MCC), that doesn't bode well for Halo 5.

Yup still broken....I've given up hope and am now playing PvZ Garden Warfare for my MP needs.

The commercials irritate me knowing people who don't check up on gaming info often are going to buy the game without knowing.

This was that "one game" that I would have considered purchasing an XB1 for.

The Halo: MCC debacle has completely ruined anything good this franchise had left, and I'm sure left quite a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths.

I just wanted to take part in the action again, to relive those memories. I was most into games was when I played Halo 2. I would play, every day, for hours on end and had many an intense clan match.

It's hard to believe how bad they screwed this whole thing up. I feel bad for all the Halo fans out there, because the franchise was truly special.

This is what happens when greed, money, and deadlines are in play. I know that gaming is a business, but don't the Halo fans wish this game had another 3-6 months of development, and released a remastered masterpiece?

How did this get such good reviews?

Mostly because:

1. Most reviewers have very little time to actually play the games they're reviewing. They'll clock in maybe 20-something-ish hours and call it a day. How much of four Halo games can you actually play through in 20 hours, let alone local *and* online multiplayer, and truly get a good grasp of the quality of the game as a whole?

2. They're usually playing an unfinished build and/or are being promised by the publishers that any (and/or specific) issues they're encountering will be fixed by a day-one patch, which sometimes turns out to be completely untrue.

3. There aren't a whole lot of people to play against before the game has launched. They'll play with a few other journalists reviewing the game as well, but they won't be stressing the game or servers in any sort of fashion, hence they're unlikely to encounter any issues related to matchmaking or heavy load. Sometimes they'll relegate some of the matchmaking issues they see to the fact they know that the servers are mostly empty.

4. Gamer press made up of highly enthusiastic corruptible amateurs.

I dont think people who pre-order games really mind getting a shit product. If they did then they wouldnt pre-order. Everyone else who bought it post launch was well aware of the games problems so they cant really complain now can they.

what kind of logic is this?

So people that pre-order should expect shit at launch and people that buy after launch did so because they like to deal with garbage?

wat.

hwalker84

Last night was amazing. Party worked perfectly and I we didn't get split up or have uneven teams. Played until 2am. Drool worthy.

see5harp

It's people who preorder for sure. It's also the pubs for making preorder bonuses a thing. It's the press for giving average ass games good reviews and not fully testing multiplayer. The industry as a whole is pretty embarassing.

VinFTW

Broken?

No.

Buggy?

Yes.

The game plays much, much better now. So much so I would hardly call it broken, it's definitely on the more fixed side with frustrations still.

Halo 4 is a masterpiece compared to MCC because it simply works and worked from the start.
No. Remember no CSR, removal of team classic, no red X, loadout resets, DLC armor not working in Spartan Ops, and the Crimson map pack scandal?

Also it took them 7 months to rebalance weapons. Poorly.

Top Bottom