• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1080p footage of FFXV tech demo

Hedge

How are the other enemies "realistic"? Many of them are all based on Amano's drawings, mythological beasts of some sort.

Well aside from the goblins which just look like imps, many enemies are high-tec knights, robots or actual beasts, such as the behemoth and the big yak-like beasts grazing in the fields.
The naga is a human head with jewelry on the body of a snake. It does look more "fantasy" than the other creature designs.

It could be pulled off great in an area that is more ancient or "forbidden", but it simply looked a bit odd out there in the middle of the field, that's all.

Walking in an empty landscape has never looked this beautiful. It will be beautifully boring.

Tabata has already said that there will be a lot to do in the fields once it's finished. This is just to give you a basic idea of the scope and some of the enemies.

Dark_castle

There seems to be bunch of aggressive buffaloo things everywhere!

Wild Horn from FFII.

360px-Amano_Horn_FFII.jpg

wbEMX

This looks really, really impressive, especially the walkthrough. But somehow I'm skeptical that this could run on a PS4 with such graphical fidelity, yet maintaining those 1080p. I'm crossing my fingers for a PC version.^^

thelastword

Banned
Walking in an empty landscape has never looked this beautiful. It will be beautifully boring.
They're only showing the tech Koopa, rendering, lighting (day night, weather), textures etc...there's some gameplay videos around the web, there's plenty to do in these environments.

Dark_castle

They acknowledged that it was empty in this showcase, as it meant to give an idea of the scale/visuals of the Duscae region (where demo takes place). More "exciting elements" will be added into the environment, plus various creatures and events will be in place in the final game. And there'll be many minigames that you could play, like fishing for example.

Slaythe

Textures are popping in A LOT.

As well as some enemies.

And the aliasing is very pronounced...

At least we're not lied to. Game still has a mesmerizing art direction, it's gonna be amazing. But not technically as perfect as expected.

IQ is ass but that lighting engine is unbelievable. God damn.

Rendering engine as well, can' think of a game right now that renders this good, aside from maybe Driveclub.

Slaythe: Technically it looks very strong, what you are pointing out are optimisation issues.

thelastword

Banned
Isn't this engine a huge problem and is being discontinued, starting with KHIII?
The little bit of gameplay I've seen, I noticed some framerate problems, but nothing that shouldn't be fixed for launch. As it stands, too much money and labor has gone into this engine to just scrap it now, I'm sure Square will make it work. It's very impressive by the video anyway.

DOWN

Banned
The little bit of gameplay I've seen, I noticed some framerate problems, but nothing that shouldn't be fixed for launch. As it stands, too much money and labor has gone into this engine to just scrap it now, I'm sure Square will make it work. It's very impressive by the video anyway.
Thought they said FFXV is the last to use this engine and KHIII is being ported to Unreal 4. It's not bad maybe, but it's not worth keeping apparently.

Slaythe

Precisely why they are bothering finishing the game despite the clear flaws of the engine.

KH 3 that hadn't started just gave it up.

Music is wonderful, world looks like it's going to be grand. I'm hoping they can get the game running at native 1080p because the art deserves the best possible IQ.

Thought they said FFXV is the last to use this engine and KHIII is being ported to Unreal 4. It's not bad maybe, but it's not worth keeping apparently.

I don't think they said that. They just said that they will use UE4 for KH and other titles. To be honest, if they get this working well for FFXV, I think this will be the FF engine. And they may use UE4 for other stuff.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
sooooo prettyyyyy. I want to have sex with this game.

I really hope the rest of the game is up to par and we have a new classic.

fingers crossed!

orioto

Good Art™
Walking in huge empty areas with a few monsters here and there look boring.

This kind of comments are way more boring already ;) How many times it's been said ...

And even if it was final, anyway, i don't remember people hating on giant FFVII map with random encounter here and there.. We all walked hours on those to grind or find things. This is an rpg we're talking about...

SPAW

Nah, what they have specifically said is that KHIII is moving over to unreal 4. They have said nothing concerning the future of luminous engine. all the other stuff you have heard is just inferences made by gaf-users - that might be right or wrong.

edit: beaten by nelsonroyale (royally beaten in other words)

DOWN

Banned
I don't think they said that. They just said that they will use UE4 for KH and other titles. To be honest, if they get this working well for FFXV, I think this will be the FF engine. And they may use UE4 for other stuff.

Nah, what they have specifically said is that KHIII is moving over to unreal 4. They have said nothing concerning the future of luminous engine. all the other stuff you have heard is just inferences made by gaf-users - that might be right or wrong.

Ah okay. I thought the Luminous team was also losing members including the head of the team and this was because of them being done using it.

Graphics are great but it looks pretty bland tbh, like Dragons's Dogma HD.

Have they shown any towns yet? I want towns in my JRPGs. I fear "road trip RPG" is Square's way of avoiding both the corridor complaints they got for XIII and having to do HD towns because HD towns are still hard.

Setsu00

Actually they have said something about the future of Luminous, albeit indirectly. Someone from the development team said that FFXV is the showcase for Luminous which kinda implies that they at least want to do more with the engine.

wmlk

Ah okay. I thought the Luminous team was also losing members including the head of the team and this was because of them being done using it.

Luminous seems to have been salvaged from an all-purpose engine to a FFXV (and some similar future games) engine.

Tabata has said in one of the reports that Luminous used to be all-purpose. Key word being used to, so now it's obviously a part of FFXV and not all-encompassing.

The numbering suggests a revision as well. Luminous Engine 1.4, 1.5, 1.x, etc.

I wonder if this is on a PS4 dev station. Roughness of some aspects, added to the fact that we are getting a demo supposedly in four months, makes me thing it definitely is. Wouldn't be too surprised seeing it being played at the Playstation conference...

KooopaKid

Banned
They acknowledged that it was empty in this showcase, as it meant to give an idea of the scale/visuals of the Duscae region (where demo takes place). More "exciting elements" will be added into the environment, plus various creatures and events will be in place in the final game. And there'll be many minigames that you could play, like fishing for example.

We'll see but I'm very skeptical. It's impossible to fill that world with varied things to do. What can they add in those huge plains? RDR couldn't do it, GTAV couldn't do it. I don't see how FFXV can do it with its even bigger scale. It's going to be a grind fest. Last FF I enjoyed was VIII though and that was already very grindy with its draw system.

I still question why are they traveling around in....a car :?

I mean this is Final Fantasy. Just seems laaaazy and so incongruous with the rest of the encironment and world

Huh?

FFVII you travelled around in vehicles too. The 8 wheeler Buggy.

You've always had mechanized airships.

I guess the car could be called the least fantasy driven vehicle you can actually use in the game. Cloud has his motorcycle but you never actually used it

Wild Horn from FFII.

360px-Amano_Horn_FFII.jpg

This game seems louded with direct references to past games creatures / enemies. Love that

It looks great, the music is superb and I am super happy they are using Yoshitaka Amano monster designs ! Not sure if I am sold yet to the "male host" character design...

lol at people saying the fields are empty when it was specifically mentioned in the stream and thread before that the enemy placements were changed due to them just wanting to showcase walking through the Duscae region.

Sendero

This game needs to be on PC, where it rightfully belongs.

Loved the little details, like how the companions can go ahead of you, or the way one of them made a turn near that Wild horn. Feels like he had some weight in it. Or that decaying wood fence near the lake.

wmlk

Graphics are great but it looks pretty bland tbh, like Dragons's Dogma HD.

Have they shown any towns yet? I want towns in my JRPGs. I fear "road trip RPG" is Square's way of avoiding both the corridor complaints they got for XIII and having to do HD towns because HD towns are still hard.

The road trip theme has been there since 2008, more than two years before Final Fantasy XIII came out.

They haven't shown towns during gameplay yet. Only a large industrial building. They're showing the game again next month so I'll be pretty upset if they aren't there yet.

DOWN

Banned
lol at people saying the fields are empty when it was specifically mentioned in the stream and thread before that the enemy placements were changed due to them just wanting to showcase walking through the Duscae region.
And I love big open places, too. Always makes me worried when people complain at devs about this because I find it gives such great atmosphere to really make an environment and let it breathe.

Top Bottom