• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1080p footage of FFXV tech demo

Famassu

Luminous does seem to have problems, but I think the reason why KHIII switched to UE4 is mostly about the fact that the Luminous team has been absorbed to the FFXV team completely and are super busy helping them finish FFXV, so the Osaka team does not have the technical support that they'd need for KHIII's development until FFXV is finished. They can't wait that long unless they want to delay its development until then, so since SQEX have the license for UE4 and Epic have improved their tech support for UE, it makes sense to ditch Luminous in favor of an engine that they will get proper support NOW instead of 1-1,5 years from now.

I found it pretty but lacking in artistic design. Looks like a high budget environment for a deer hunting game.

In other words it looks like a realistic environment? I think you mean 'artistic embellishment'. The environments look realistic, which doesn't mean they look ugly at all. I do hope other environments are more imaginative, but I like this.

thelastword

Banned
Precisely why they are bothering finishing the game despite the clear flaws of the engine.

KH 3 that hadn't started just gave it up.
This was/is a very ambitious engine, looking at the video that much is certain. I'm not so sure what flaws you're referring to, every engine has flaws in the initial stages, look at Unity. Even epic has not shown or delivered their own game with UE4 yet.

If Square delivers FF XV at 1080 30fps and it looks as impressive as it does, I'm sure everything from there will be gravy for them.

Doran902

In other words it looks like a realistic environment? I think you mean 'artistic embellishment'. The environments look realistic, which doesn't mean they look ugly at all. I do hope other environments are more imaginative, but I like this.

Yeah i said it was pretty I was really just agreeing with the quoted guy that it was boring. Artistic embellishment is probly a good term. The city stuff and the buildings all look fantastic.

Yeah i said it was pretty I was really just agreeing with the quoted guy that it was boring. Artistic embellishment is probly a good term. The city stuff and the buildings all look fantastic.

Haha, I have probably got a soft spot for it because it looks like places I go hiking in Scotland. Most people think it is beautiful but I agree in a game, I want to see some imaginative environments as well. I think we will get them. This one has a subtle beauty I think. Once it is more populated with stuff, I think will come across as much less 'bland' or some such.

YoungOne

The night time reminds me of Dragon's Dogma and that is a good thing. I really that ost the first song playing on the walk through vid really hits you with the feel of adventure.

FireCloud

Intriguing. Do we know if the whole game will be open world or only when you get out of the city(ies)?

Liked the details....hands on knees and hard breathing after running through the field.

I have to admit I haven't been paying close attention to FFXV news for a while. Has there been any mention of a release window for the game; 2015 or later?

Dark_castle

Is this slightly different version of the vid we saw? Because I didn't know there were NPC's in the gas station.

It's the same one.

The night time reminds me of Dragon's Dogma and that is a good thing. I already want to get the ost the first song playing on the walk through vid really hits you with the feel of adventure.

If it's as I understood, another thing FFXV has in common with Dragon's Dogma is the ability to interact with enemies. According to Tabata, Noctis has the ability to free-run larger targets, enabling us to climb/warp the target to attack their weak points.

OsirisBlack

Banned
So if Japanese developers focus primarily on the Sony machine as it appears they are doing will they leave other devs (outside of first party efforts) in the dust? Seriously FFXV,Deep Down and MGSTPP make most other studio efforts look clumsy at best and downright incompetent at worst.

This looks really, really impressive, especially the walkthrough. But somehow I'm skeptical that this could run on a PS4 with such graphical fidelity, yet maintaining those 1080p. I'm crossing my fingers for a PC version.^^

If its the lead platform which it probably is seeing as its Exclusive to PS4 in Japan then I really don't doubt it at all.

SPAW

Luminous does seem to have problems, but I think the reason why KHIII switched to UE4 is mostly about the fact that the Luminous team has been absorbed to the FFXV team completely and are super busy helping them finish FFXV, so the Osaka team does not have the technical support that they'd need for KHIII's development until FFXV is finished. They can't wait that long unless they want to delay its development until then, so since SQEX have the license for UE4 and Epic have improved their tech support for UE, it makes sense to ditch Luminous in favor of an engine that they will get proper support NOW instead of 1-1,5 years from now.

if we are to speculate, I think this is the narrative that is best supported by what little data we have, but that is just my opinion.

if we are to speculate, I think this is the narrative that is best supported by what little data we have, but that is just my opinion.

Yeah that seems like it. Make sense that FFXV is the top priority. I don't doubt KH3 will look excellent, but FF games have always been the flag ship series.

Really wish there were female party members and that the guys had more varied looks/clothing. Otherwise it looks awesome. I just hope I can look past those things.

It's nice, but don't you think the loop is too short? It's annoying by the end of that 10 minute clip.

Definitely but I imagine it's all placeholder at this point. I'm not sure how they go about the schedule in relation to the soundtrack, but I imagine that it's nowhere near finished at this point. There may be some music already like for this trailer and whatnot but I don't think that's going to be the main overworld theme. It's far too fast paced and repetitive for a "map" theme. Absolutely beautiful, but they're not going to just loop that infinitely while you're out and about.

Definitely but I imagine it's all placeholder at this point. I'm not sure how they go about the schedule in relation to the soundtrack, but I imagine that it's nowhere near finished at this point. There may be some music already like for this trailer and whatnot but I don't think that's going to be the main overworld theme. It's far too fast paced and repetitive for a "map" theme. Absolutely beautiful, but they're not going to just loop that infinitely while you're out and about.

falk, the engineer behind the track, said that there was more music there.

It's likely cut.
Ah ok. That's a relief! :)

Woodchipper

I've owned every playstation console yet I have never played FF. I watched a friend play FFVII way back but that's about it. I've always been somewhat curious about these games though. Is this a series you can jump right into without playing any of the previous games? Because this looks like something I wanna try out!

The only reason I'm sad it's not affiliated with the XIII-saga any longer is the fact that there's no longer any chance of Cie'th appearing. I really loved some of those creature designs. :(

Don't rule them out. It's still based on the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology, Fal'Cie are supposed to be in it, so we could see C'ieth.

wmlk

I've owned every playstation console yet I have never played FF. I watched a friend play FFVII way back but that's about it. I've always been somewhat curious about these games though. Is this a series you can jump right into without playing any of the previous games? Because this looks like something I wanna try out!

The numbered entries are not related at all by any story thread.

So yes. It's like a new IP.

SPAW

no previous experience needed!

(might actually be preferable since first-timers to the series doesn't have the nostalgia-bias)

I'd be in heaven if the final game began like this, just you in the wilderness with no indicators or even map to begin with. You just travel and let the game gradually unravel.

One of my favourite games from last gen was Fallout 3 and in that I would just wander, never checking the map, and just stumble upon places and people now and then.
It was amazing.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Probably gonna get flack for this, but that demo gives an impression of SE finally making a high-end PS3 title... or maybe WiiU (not the wireframe shots so much, but you get the point).

Looks like a Skyrim mod from a few years ago, not terribly impressed. High tessellation amount for their very geometriclly uninteresting ground terrain, wonder if they're baking some lighting terms in there.

Most interesting bit was probably the hair stuff in the tech demo reel, would be interesting to know what they're trying to do there.

Elios83

Is this slightly different version of the vid we saw? Because I didn't know there were NPC's in the gas station.

They were there.
I noticed them even in the lower res video a few weeks ago.
With the higher res more details pop out more.....but also the issues and shortcomings unfortunately.
The initial section with the car right at the beginning of the video has many flaws technically, aliasing, pop-in, weird reflection LOD on water.
It gives aways the fact that it was a PS3 game at some point, still looks very impressive.

SPAW

Probably gonna get flack for this, but that demo gives an impression of SE finally making a high-end PS3 title... or maybe WiiU (not the wireframe shots so much, but you get the point).

Please point to a high-end PS3 open world game with the same graphics.

Diablos

I too am wondering if the quality seen in these videos indiciates that we'll be seeing a PC version as well.

Really, really impressive. Not just the graphics but the depth and scope of this game if the videos are to be an indication of the bigger picture...

Oh wow, I didn't even know they recorded it at 1080. Nice.

Still looking great, still with all the IQ problems that should be fixed by the time they finish porting and optimizing everything, and I still want to fight that Naga.

That's... creepy as hell. And at night to boot! It'd be great if the daytime were full of normal enemy types but then at night it turns into a fucking freakshow.

It actually is. At night monsters come out from the dungeons, so you see more goblins/nagas/etc. rather than the normal beasts from daytime.

Top Bottom