• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up Zelda Twilight Princess review

1up is becoming more and more generous with their 10's...but it's Jermey P., and he usually reviews pretty tough. I'm satisfied with the score.

Mrbob

What impresses me is that it sounds like the game is really 50 to 60 hours long, so it helps justify me buying waggle wii for one game.

I hope TP sells a ton. I don't want to see Nintendo stop making big adventures like this. I know Iwata already talked about all the time, money, and manpower this game cost them. Don't want to see it go to waste and Nintendo completely focuses on small nuggets of gaming.

Mrbob said:
What impresses me is that it sounds like the game is really 50 to 60 hours long, so it helps justify me buying waggle wii for one game.

I hope TP sells a ton. I don't want to see Nintendo stop making big adventures like this. I know Iwata already talked about all the time, money, and manpower this game cost them. Don't want to see it go to waste and Nintendo completely focuses on small nuggets of gaming.

I'm sure it'll sell well enough.

MaddenNFL64

Whatever they spent in 4 years will be made back & more. 4 million worldwide at the least is my bet. And i'm lowballing for sure. Kickass Ninty titles will survive.

Oh, and the microrape... err transactions are coming down the pipe.

Midna: 'Your uncle who you never heard of died link! And he left new armor!'

Gigglepoo

GAZERK said:
1up is becoming more and more generous with their 10's...but it's Jermey P., and he usually reviews pretty tough. I'm satisfied with the score.

I agree to an extent. The thing is, anyone who even remotely likes action or adventure games should play Zelda. Anyone who likes to fire a gun should play Gears of War. Anyone who likes juvenile mischief should play Bully. I didn't think GoW and Bullly were "Perfect" games, but I admit that most gamers would enjoy them. Remember, 1up is recommending these games. They aren't rating how fun they are. They believe that these three games need to be experienced by all.

Coincidentally, I played through and loved Gears of War and Bully. Zelda will be in my hands on Sunday. They may be giving out too many 10s recently, but these are all damn fine games. It's hard to find a reason not to recommend Bully or GoW and I'm sure Zelda will follow suit.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Mrbob said:

Yup. Its why I also hope this sells a metric-shit-ton, so Nintendo realizes theres still a huge deman for this kind of game and this kind of investment. Believe it or not, Zelda probably comprises most of my attachment towards Nintendo. Take that away, and I have very little incentive to buy a new system from them.

keanerie

GAZERK said:

Parish mentioned in his 1up blog that he's only given two games scores higher than 9 before, so, coming from him, this is damn high praise.

SantaC

Scoot said:
:lol :lol :lol

Well I just assumed you're going to rant about the game since you're going against Shane. If you laughed about my Killerapp comment it seems to me it is a killerapp, especially since 1up gave it a 10.

Gigglepoo

Hey Luke, you seem to be patrolling this thread instead of playing Viva Pinata for some reason, can you answer a question? Is it possible for 1up to include the Gamertag of the reviewer at the bottom of every X360 review? I feel this is invaluable information. For instance, I doubt that most reviewers got that 10 hour achievement in VP. I would like to know how long they played a game. Is there any way 1up will consider adding this information?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Gigglepoo said:
Hey Luke, you seem to be patrolling this thread instead of playing Viva Pinata for some reason, can you answer a question? Is it possible for 1up to include the Gamertag of the reviewer at the bottom of every X360 review? I feel this is invaluable information. For instance, I doubt that most reviewers got that 10 hour achievement in VP. I would like to know how long they played a game. Is there any way 1up will consider adding this information?

That's like, a privacy issue I think. I doubt you could institute a rule for all editors to do this.

adg1034

chespace said:
That's like, a privacy issue I think. I doubt you could institute a rule for all editors to do this.

Yeah, it would be like "Hey, unwashed teens of the universe- add me to your friends list for some unknown reason!"

I doubt they'd want to do that.

Mrbob said:

Agreed. As long as they keep throwing us hardcore gamers a bone with games like Zelda and Smash Brothers I could care less how many non-games Nintendo makes.

It's not like the market for games like Zelda is just going to disappear, so I really don't see non-games taking over the market like some of the paranoid idiots around here do.

Gigglepoo

chespace said:

I agree with that. There be a workaround, though. People could create Silver Accounts just for reviews. Or maybe Ziff could pay for Gold Memberships so they could experience the online mode as well. I think it is technically feasible to do this, though it could be a hassle. As someone who reviews X360 games, I take a lot of pride in my achievements. I wouldn't have felt comfortable ripping Marvel: Ultimate Alliance unless I knew I had finished it and people could see that.

LukeSmith

Gigglepoo said:

While I understand the complaint and how it could service our audience to have our gamercard's available to the public, Che's right -- this is a privacy issue.

Keep in mind that a lot of us are playing games on PartnerNet as well where our achievements don't cross over to retail.

Gigglepoo

I wonder if the Wii will allow for my idea to work. I know it keeps track of total playtime for every game. Do you think it's possible to include such information in Wii reviews?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Scoot said:
Keep in mind that a lot of us are playing games on PartnerNet as well where our achievements don't cross over to retail.

QFT... I finished PDZ, Condemned, COD2, and a shitload of PGR3 but don't have achievements for any those games because I played them on a test kit over partnernet. :p

Chrono

Banned
Nice score. :)

I'm so close right now to playing the Wii version next week. I'm not sure I can wait until december.

ziran said:
from all the reviews i've read so far, twilight princess sounds like it's everything i'm expecting it to be, and, much, much, MUCH, more! :D

wow ziran, I thought you were bored of traditional games.

bionic77

Chrono said:
Nice score. :)

I'm so close right now to playing the Wii version next week. I'm not sure I can wait until december.
I was just going to get the Cube version but the initial reviews got to me and I am now picking it up early Sunday morning (which I am guessing will be very easy to do).

WindyMan

Speevy said:
So do you guys already have the Gamecube final version or is it coming later?

No one has played the GameCube version since E3 2005, and no one will be getting it until it releases on December 12th.

No. One.

Zilch

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Great, had one of the game's locales spoiled for me in the post where that guy showed the review.

A location that's been in every Zelda game that takes place in Hyrule.

Verdict: Not a spoiler.

Close call, chief~!

Jiggy37 said:
I don't understand. If five hours of a sixty-hour game are "soporific," it's not a 10/10--unless you're using the "7-7.5 is average" scale

10 isn't actually "perfect," it's just "as good as it comes." The way the review reads, it seems like the unavoidable tutorial/intro business is boring the way that it always is, but that every other aspect of the game meets or exceeds the standards of the series and games in general. If there was actually something wrong with the start of the game I might agree with you, but it sounds like it's just slow because tutorial segments of games are slow.

ziran said:
wow! surprised it received a 10 from parish, especially since he doesn't seem to be a huge zelda fan.

the thing which really speaks to me is his mention of a link to the past, which is one of the greatest videogames ever made imo.

LttP gets a lot of credit it doesn't deserve, generally speaking, but one specific thing that is great about it and which I am hoping TP is similar in is the way exploration was valued. Some of the more recent Zeldas tend to fall into a Metroid mindset where you go to places, see a really obvious puzzle, and come back to solve it when you get the right tool, just to get a heart piece. LttP treats it more like actual exploration -- the ways you get to things, the difficulty, and the rewards all vary more and the little secrets like this are everywhere.

fresquito said:
No, it deserves that credit, and then some more.

Nah. People should stop hyping it at a nice reasonable place like "maybe the best SNES game ever and one of the 20 best games ever."

Slurpy said:
Yup. Its why I also hope this sells a metric-shit-ton, so Nintendo realizes theres still a huge deman for this kind of game and this kind of investment.

Given the level of direct involvement with this game displayed by Miyamoto (and the amount of pride and excitement in it displayed by Iwata) in those roundtable development discussions, I don't understand how people can still be operating under the assumption that these kind of games are in any danger.

charlequin said:
LttP gets a lot of credit it doesn't deserve, generally speaking, but one specific thing that is great about it and which I am hoping TP is similar in is the way exploration was valued. Some of the more recent Zeldas tend to fall into a Metroid mindset where you go to places, see a really obvious puzzle, and come back to solve it when you get the right tool, just to get a heart piece. LttP treats it more like actual exploration -- the ways you get to things, the difficulty, and the rewards all vary more and the little secrets like this are everywhere.

I didn't really like Link to the Past much... but when i look back, it really is an amazing game for its time... so much f'in exploration when i look back. too bad i sold it

fresquito

charlequin said:
Nah. People should stop hyping it at a nice reasonable place like "maybe the best SNES game ever and one of the 20 best games ever."
Well, being one of the 20 best games ever is something...

1UP.com 11/16/2006 10 /10 10.0
Gamerz Edge 11/15/2006 10 /10 10.0
Lawrence.com 11/14/2006 99 /100 9.9
*********.com 11/14/2006 99 /100 9.9
GameSpy.com 11/13/2006 5 /5 10.0
UnderGroundOnline (UGO) 11/13/2006 A /A+ 9.5
The Hylia 11/13/2006 9.6 /10 9.6

Average Press Score:
based on 7 reviews 9.8

Well, for now, Twilight Princess is on par with Ocarina of Time. Gamespot, IGN, Eurogamers and Famitsu's reviews are what I'm most waiting for.

My guess is that Twilight Princess will have an average or 9.8 or 9.9 at the end (9.8 is more likely).

Xdrive05

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Well, for now, Twilight Princess is on par with Ocarina of Time. Gamespot, IGN, Eurogamers and Famitsu's reviews are what I'm most waiting for.

My guess is that Twilight Princess will have an average or 9.8 or 9.9 at the end (9.8 is more likely).

I'm thinking more like 9.6 or so. Gamespot's score will most likely bring it down a lot. Jeff's gonna 8.6 it or something like that, I'm afraid.

charlequin said:

Even in the SNES realm it's eclipsed by at least 5 other SNES games in my book, including Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 6, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Kart and Chrono Trigger and Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting. Not to mention that I felt Link's Awakening and the Oracles were better on the whole. Still though, no shame in falling short of those games, which I would rate at least a 9.5.

borghe said:
really... I mean really. a game that hasn't scored under 9.5 so far and you wouldn't think an 8.6 sounds kind of odd?

So you think he should give it extra points even if he doesn't like it, just because everyone else is doing it? If there are things wrong with the game, then props to him for pointing them out.

Top Bottom